“Nice hotel, but beach is better south.”
Review of Piedra Escondida

Piedra Escondida
Ranked #21 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Stayed 5 nights.

The hotel is located at a private beach. (sharing with one other hotel). The beach is ok, but swimming from the beach is a bit difficult because of rocks and waves. The beach 1 km. more south is better.

In the information (internet and confirmation) about the rooms, it says "AC during the night". AC was started in the evening, but shuts down at 3 am. We stayed in room 9 (upstairs from the reception/restaurant), and it got realy hot shortly after the AC stopped running. We complained, and was told, that the AC only could run for a certain amount of time (8 hours), but it was possible to keep it running to 4 am. After another night, we complained again, and asked if it was possible to start in at midnight and then it would stop at 8 am. The management came up with another proposal: we could get 2 other rooms downstairs in the adjacent building.

We accepted this solution, and had 3 real good nights.

If we come to Tulum-beach again, we will try to get a hotel more south.

Room Tip: Stay out of top-roof rooms, doe to the AC shut down at 3 am. When the AC is off it gets really hot...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SoerensenKim

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This place had A/C but it was only from 8:30pm - 3am. But, the night stay was only $136 for the night! It didn't however have fresh water for bathing but rather the 80/20 mixture the most cheaper places have there in Tulum. If you want a quiet place to stay, this is not the place because of the live music just a few feet away. But if you want to be close to good food and music then, this is the place to stay for a low price. They only have 10 units so, its a must to book with time.

Room Tip: Don't put a deposit if you aren't going to stay there because they will not reimburse you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ECart51
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Dont miss out on this great place. Relax, unwind for a great price. Pleas ask for Nayeli and Manuel Tax. Nayeli was awesome when it came to renting these fabulous huts. Manuel was a great waiter! Good Job Manuel! See you next year for sure! We had to leave but we didnt want to. Thats how nice it was! Dont think twice and stay! Special thanks to Nayeli (leasing manager)!

Thanks Piedra Escondida!

We will be back!

Room Tip: Close to the Mayan ruins and Xelha water park. Many other places in Tulum! Rooms face the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

this is a very charming intimate hotel, the rooms were lovely and very private.
the staff were very gracious and thoughtful,,,friendly...
we got a lot of help from the manager Andreas, for all our questions and different excursions
we could take... the breakfast included was terrific, and the endless cups of great coffee.
we went in early June when the weather was very hot and somewhat cloudy, but there
were no crowds. It's a terrific location, very close to the town, and lest we forget the aroma
from the itallian food they prepared at dinner was intoxicating... we can't wait to go back!
we were a couple and we saw the families having a great time ...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have stayed here three different times now and love it. Beautiful setting and management is great. There are only 8 rooms and every room has breathtaking views of ocean (especially the upper rooms, which also have great patios). I can only describe this place as heaven on earth. I have recommended it to others and have brought friends there as well. Everyone agrees, this place is amazing. It's location is great, situated in a little hub of small hotels and great restaurants. We have witnessed baby sea turtles hatching there at night. Bike rentals next door and it's an easy ride up to the public beach, which is the best beach I've ever seen in person.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Holly D
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in May 2014 in room 4. Piedra Escondida is in a beautiful location, situated on what is effectively it's own private beach and well located to several local amenities and good restaurants. It is very nice, but nothing particularly shone for us for the money; but maybe that's because Tulum is a fairly expensive area to stay in for Mexico.

I have stayed in cabana style accommodation several times and it was to a fairly high standard, but if you're coming from a cold climate then the aircon turns off (we were aware of this) really just when we wanted it most (3am) to aid sleeping and I'm not really sure why. There were some gaps in the thatching which allowed you to watch the lightning at night. Also, I wasn't completely aware when I booked of how rough the sea is in Tulum, thinking it'd be really romantic like the lapping of water at a Mediterranean beach or even of the Mexican Gulf (such as further north) I hadn't realised it's actually quite loud and can keep you awake - no complaint, just keep this in consideration if you add on some jet-lag it makes for some restless nights.

Although the beach is stunning and the view to the sea is picturesque, access to the water isn't easy as it is quite rocky. Also, it's hit and miss if it's a seaweed day or not depending on tides, weather etc.

The breakfast was basic and a bit hit or miss; one day very lack lustre the next pretty good - the coffee mainly lack lustre but better on some days.

It is in a good location, easy enough to jump into a Taxi and get to town, several good restaurants around, mini-market and some other shopping stalls. We also walked to the ruins - which is do-able, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend the walk as it's fairly un-interesting and very hot - although you can get to the beach at one point and finish the walk there.

I have no complaints, Piedra Escondida suited our needs at Tulum and it is really idyllic to be stepping out of your cabana onto beach to go for breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chunkylover53__x
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at this property for our last 3 nights in Tulum. I truly enjoyed the atmosphere at this location. It's right in the heart of Tulum, but it's a very small place. The beach is a tiny little cove compared to an all inclusive resort we stayed at our first 4 nights. I LOVE this beach. It's so beautiful, it was ridiculous.

The restaurant is fantastic, breakfast is included with the room rate. You have about 4 free choices, with other options you can pay for. Outside seating right on the beach. The service is great. One of the staff, Carlos, in particular was very kind to us during our stay. He spoke English very well, and we were able to communicate with ease. Carlos gave us great recommendations while we were in Tulum.

The rest of the staff were great too. Everyone was very friendly, and helpful. We had a great time at this property.

The only bad experience happened to be on my birthday. We asked one of the Italian guys in the front reception for advice on where to go swim with the sea turtles. I was so excited to show my boyfriend the turtles. It's the only thing I really wanted to do on my actual birthday. The guy I spoke with wasn't the owner, or the manager. It was a taller guy with glasses.. He told me to go to this specific lagoon to see the turtles, on the north side of Akumal. We we ended up driving right past all the best places, only to arrive at horrible lagoon where we didn't see any sea life, let alone turtles. As soon as we pulled up we found out we were in the wrong place. It turned into a horrible day. I was so disappointed, and kind of still am. As a Concierge I know better than to give out the wrong information. There was no misunderstanding here, he was VERY specific about going to that particular lagoon. Fail. At least the rest of our stay was good.

I would stay at this property again because it's just so beautiful! I loved everything about the room. It was $200 per night so... There's no TV's in the room, which I like. There's a couch. The shower and bathroom did smell a bit strange, like really salty. But it wasn't that big of a deal. There's a porch in front with a hammock, and two chairs. Our room was upstairs. I only saw like two bugs, but heard lots of birds! It was so cool waking up to the birds chirping, and perching on our roof. Coconut trees everywhere. We had one window facing the road, but the noise was not a big deal to me either. The whole experience was great.

I have to say the food in the restaurant was really good. The service was great. All of the gentlemen that work there were very friendly with us. Especially Carlos, who, as I said before, made some excellent recommendations for us.

I can't wait to visit Tulum again!

PS Random tips for travelling to Mexico in general:

Exchange your money for pesos before you get there
Taxis are very expensive, don't be afraid to rent a car
Bring your own maps, it's hard to get a proper one

Room Tip: One of the rooms has two balconies. Some rooms face the street. I didn't have a problem with our...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple