“Heaven.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
Portland, Oregon
“Heaven.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012 via mobile

This place is absolute heaven. Friends of mine raved of this place after visiting for a yoga retreat and since my husband and I were planning a trip to playa del carmen I couldn't pass up the opportunity to spend a few nights at Maya Tulum.
We stayed in an oceanfront palapa and it was unreal...literally 10 steps from the beach which was so quiet it could have been our own. Other reviews have referenced seaweed as an issue but the largest part of the beach that fronts the property had plenty of seaweed free spots in which to float away the day, perhaps with a margarita. The food was delicious-local, healthy and fresh (especially the seafood) and you could either dine off the menu for a price or take advantage of a lovely buffet as part of the all inclusive rate. Yoga spaces were beautiful although their concept of all levels is perhaps a little off unless you've had a dedicated practice for a while...an hour 15 of brisk flowing vinyasa is not for all levels so I would caution those new to yoga to modify for your own body and practice. :)
Other than that we are now a few hours north and all I can think about is turning around and heading back to the safe, peaceful refuge of Maya Tulum. Also thank you to Jorge for your sweet energy at the front desk.
I will be back!! Thank you for everything.
Many blessings,
Lorri

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank Lorri B
dena2450, Public Relations Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
We would love to thank you and your friends on choosing us for such a special moment - to relax and renew from the daily life.

We are very close to two major cities : Playa del Carmen and Cancun, and the feeling at Maya Tulum is of time-stillness. Thank you for allowing this space grow warm in your heart.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Tania

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2012

We just returned from our 3rd visit to Maya Tulum Resort. This was a much needed break from the hustle and bustle this year, thank you so much to the entire staff. It says a lot about a business when year after year, you see the same employees and get to form a bond with them. They have selected the cream of the crop for their operation.

Henry (Genrry) excellent service, and caring concerns for my food allergies. He's better at controlling my food consumption than I am. He even got me to eat beets, Mom. The fresh desserts he came up with were amazing. Thank you Henry!!! All the rest of the dining staff is great as well. Mitch, the breakfast and lunch chef, is the best kept secret. His food talents are astounding.

Victor and Nestor at the front desk were most helpful at getting us another day in paradise when our flights were dramatically changed. I've always wanted to extend a vacation, what a place to be stuck!

The massage staff have superior skills. I've never had a bad massage at Maya Tulum. Favorite massages this year, Yoote Keene, Holistic, Thai and Happy Feet. You'll be in very good hands, if you're uncertain ask Elizabeth at the desk, she'll steer you right every time.

The Yoga instructors are very caring, and you can tell they all enjoy their work. As always, Sem brings out the best in a person, his insight is uncanny. Maria & Joanne amazing teachers, the essence of Yoga. Allesandra brought a new twist to the yoga classes this year, very nice. And of course. Victor's classes are meant to shake up the normal Yogini's attitude and awareness, mission accomplished.

You can do the excursions, but we never want to leave the resort, it's that perfect!!

Best item we brought with this year, Microfiber beach towel, dried fast and quick and a portable clothes line we hung in our room.
Ladies, if you require a hair dryer, forget it, this is once a year that you can really unplug! Makeup not required at all, neither are sandals. You will want a light sweater for night time, or 3/4 sleeves to take the chill off.

Room Tip: We choose room #16, it's on the lagoon, you can watch the fisherman, and birds. You hear the su...
2 Thank Yooperchick1
Thank you so much for coming back and making of our home your home in paradise =)

We are heartily thankful and excited about knowing you have wonderful memories to bring back home. The mayan Yoot Keene is definitely a unique exprience, for it is a Mayan Legacy that is still living in today's daily life.

We hope to see you back soon!

Dublin, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2012

This is a great place to unwind and unplug from everyday life. The resort is quiet and compact. The rooms, although mostly in individual huts, are fairly close together. It helps if you are a "nature" person, as you may have a few small critters (crabs, geckos, iguanas, bugs) in your room. It's no problem and actually pretty neat.

My favorite things about this resort were #1 the food, #2 the stars at night, #3 the beach. We had the buffet for all meals. The food is so fresh and healthy, mostly vegetarian with several new "salads" (not your standard salad) available each day as well as soup, hot entrees and fresh juice. Fish is also available. After eating here for the week I felt wonderful. If you live near a large city, you will really find it special to be able to sit out on a lounge chair at night and watch the stars. You feel small and part of everything at the same time. The beach is really quite nice for swimming and sunbathing and it was never crowded. There are so nice rocky areas where you can sit by yourself in meditation or watch the waves.

I attended a yoga retreat here which was amazing. I did not attend the standard resort yoga classes but others in our group did and spoke highly of them.

There are several excursions offered throughout the week. We went to Tulum and to Coba. More crowded than I would have liked but still worth seeing. The resorts shows a National Geographic movie one night about the Maya. It was interesting but most of group were so sleepy it was difficult to stay awake. This is what happens when you get up with the sun and do several hours of yoga (not complaining - I loved it!).

A few small inconveniences were not being able to plug in a straightener or curling iron and not being about to put toilet paper in the toilets, but really neither were any big deal.

If you enjoy nature, the beach, quiet and yoga this is likely a very good place for you.

Room Tip: We had a garden view room but it was still only steps to the beach.
3 Thank Caroline D
dena2450, SPA&Yoga M. at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2013
Thank you so much for such a heartily review! On behalf of the Maya Tulum family, I would like to thank you for this.

Contact with nature allows us to unwind from daily city life, and being able to walk down the sandpaths is a very Zen experience.

Thank you so much for helping us with our conscious efforts of keeping the wetlands going on! This is one of our little actions to go towards the sustainability of the resort =)

We really hope to see you back soon!

Petworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Good location, 1.5 hours by car south of Cancun. Lovely small resort on the waterfront. Decent Internet, but in public areas only - they block in room use. Yoga v good. Great instructors, good room. However from the website you would think there is lots of choice. When there only two sessions per day were available. Massages were wonderful. Lots of great therapists. Bring a torch as power is erratic. Also beach shoes for swimming - there's coral washed up on the beach, and some weed in the water. Lots of other bars and restaurants, so plenty of places to take a walk, have a sundowner etc. am I pleased to have come? Yes. Would I come again....? Possibly, but there are so many lovely places in the world....!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BoutiqueFarmer
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2012
Thank you very much for a heartful review!

We are very happy to know you found Maya Tulum a peaceful spot in paradise.

As part of our oath, we wish to provide every spirit what they need in order to find peace in their path. We have internet acces at the Restaurant, Front Lobby, Spa Desk, and Yoga Halls area. Tulum is not on the techonology edge, yet, and this is what we can provide at the moment. We do try to accomodate to city-lifestyle as much as possible.

2 Yoga sessions per day are the ones included on the package, but Private Yoga Lessons are always available with the teacher of your choice! I higly recommend this, for it is the best way to deepen into the yoga practice, correct alignment, and receive a tailored class.

Seaweed is part of the natural cleaning process of the ocean. We hope to see you soon for another fantastic nature's experience : Turtle nesting and Turtle babies hatching!!! This happens between August-October.

North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

This is my second yoga retreat here and it has become one of my favorite places in the world. It's quiet laid back and peaceful. As others have said, it's not necessarily the place to "party," (although quite a bit of wine was consumed on the beach at night!) If you're a vegetarian or vegan and into yoga, clear water and white sugar sand beaches, this is the place for you.
If I had to find anything to gripe about, it would be the "classification" of the room types. I paid over 4K (it was a retreat package for 2 including food) for a "beachfront super deluxe" room, and was very disappointed to be place on the "lagoon." I think their should be an additional classification for "lagoon front." The property comes to a sort of point on the water, and everything to the left (north) of the A villa is on the lagoon, and everything to the right (south) is on the beachfront. However the "beach" on the lagoon side is very uncrowded if you want to be alone.
Attached is a view from our room #21.

Room Tip: Find a map of the resort and request a room to the south of the A villa is you want to be close to t...
3 Thank abosco
Hola !

We are delighted to hear you love our little piece of paradise in the Mexican Caribbean so much!
Our conscious efforts in order to create a wonderful experience have "wow-ed" your stay.
For this recognition, I would like to thank you from the Maya Tulum family.

Regarding the room classification, we are sorry to hear our beach bay area was not what you expected. It is usually were the best sunrise view is appreciated. Walking to the small hill gives you an uplifted scenery, perfect for the pictures going back home. Please send us your preferred room area through our Reservations department prior to your arrival, so we can accomodate to your heart's desires.

We hope to see you back soon!

Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

We have not stayed in Maya Tulum because of the cost of the rooms, but every time we visit Tulum, we come almost each day for lunch/dinner/non-alcoholic drinks and for yoga. It is the best place for vegetarian (we are lactovegetarian) meal in Tulum, we think, especially that the service is so helpful. I really liked the waiter who would recognize us, and he knew exactly what we want, and what ingredients we could not have. Very professional and so thoughtful and personal. Food was very tasty, nicely presented, and some starters were served complimentary (chips and salsa). For me, it is indeed the best place in the world for a vegetarian meal, not only because of the food, but also service, views and the whole atmosphere. We think about our experience there very often!

We also really liked yoga there, and hopefully we can come back next year, although this time we would have a little boy coming with us and I am not sure whether they offer any babycare for the time of a yoga class, for instance. It would be greatly appreciated - we love yoga but would like a suitable baby care for our son for these times, and I would prefer to go for this via a hotel, or at least that a hotel can recommend safe, risk-free, and simply the best baby care available in the area.

The beach has wonderful views, great for photos, but I never swam there - for me the waves were always too high and there are also some rocks on one side of the beach. In general, in Tulum the waves were quite high, and probably not suitable for children (or for me since I am not a great swimmer), but Akumal is just a short drive if you want your babies to play in the water.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Thank you very much for such a heartly review!

We are very happy to hear you found our food delicious!!! To create soul food is the passion of our chefs, who are constantly looking for new ideas to pamper your buds.

We do have babysitting service upon request, please contact our Reservations Manager through our website, so you can schedule this prior to your arrival!

Hope to see you soon so you can try our new freshly made jams! (Yes, they are made in here like our bread and granola!!!) The exotic flavours are one of a kind!

boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

Excellent yoga retreat. Very pleasant, quiet, great yoga instructors. Great restaurant, mostly vegan but has eggs, fish, shrimp too. Very clean. Great staff, massage therapist Myra was excellent. Only come here if you participate in yoga, otherwise not much to do on site. Bring insect repellent.

Room Tip: definitely stay at a beachfront unit
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank charlielucky
dena2450, SPA & Yoga Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
On behalf of Maya Tulum’s family I would like to heartly thank you for such a great comment. It is very rewarding for us to realize our efforts have a positive impact before, during and after your stay.

I am grateful to hear our SPA & Yoga staff had a great impression! Every member of our family is very special and unique.