“A week in paradise”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #51 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Imagine being in a place where you are surrounded by wonderful people, have constant access to the beach, and the food is fabulous. It's like heaven, in fact.
Every day; the cooks outdid themselves with fantastic meals. There was always fresh fruit, and I never had so many different kinds of fruit juice. No matter what you needed, the staff was gracious, patient, helpful and kind. They speak Mayan, Spanish and English. No matter what your level of Spanish, they are helpful and friendly. You might even learn some Mayan while you are there.
A person could go an entire week there and never put on a pair of shoes! I would recommend this place to anyone. The only thing I didn't like were the mosquitoes.
The beach was gorgeous, the sand is carefully manicured every day. The rooms were beautiful and picturesque too.

Room Tip: If you like to hear the surf all night, choose an ocean view. I am so glad i did.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 May 2013

I made the mistake of doing Insanity (Beach Body) as an attempt to get in one last workout before I slip into a bikini. Mind you, my last workout was 2 months prior. Needless to say, I felt crippled by the sore and tight knots in my calves, sides and arms. I had quite an unsexy hobble and walking was literally painful. I tore up my muscles in my hamstrings and even my butt!

I hobbled into Maya Tulum with my boyfriend on a recommendation by Zamas next door and made an appointment on the spot. We were able to sit at the restaurant for a delicious lunch right before our appointment. What a beautiful resort by the sea. It felt so secluded and tranquil that I wished I was staying there instead of just visiting for a massage. I was, however, quite happy at Zamas with their lively sunset dinners on the beach. Maybe another time!

I can't remember my masseuse's name as this was last year, but he was amazing. I *still* think about this massage and am currently planning my next vacation to be in Tulum specifically to return to this resort! I sure hope they have a record somewhere of my massage so I can request the same masseuse.

I have never experienced this before with any of my massages in San Francisco or New York, but he literally healed me. I was unable to walk without severe pain for 3 days and immediately I felt limber and flowing. I was in disbelief! There were uncomfortable moments in the massage due to my tenderness, but he worked with my comfort level and was patient with my gurgles and whining. Somewhere along the way, the pain faded and I was lulled into a very zen state...of drooling. Yes, I drooled quite freely as I dozed happily on the table.

My boyfriend also had an incredibly blissful massage. He said it was the best he had ever received and did not even know massages could be had on this level of expertise. We even had our stomachs massaged, which I never had before. I thought I was be bawling with laughter because I'm hugely ticklish, but somehow it just felt deeply relaxing. I felt like a cat that fell into the cream.

The prices were comparable to that you pay in the states, I think I paid a little under $300 for the two of us for an hour (maybe an hour and a half) It was an incredible experience and environment. I actually felt I should have paid more, and so I did, in fat tips!

You'll see me soon, Maya Tulum. Very soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fatchamyleon
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This truly was one of my favorite trips. I did travel solo, but quickly befriended a number of people. The food was fantastic and the green drinks outstanding. I had an ocean front cabanna, not beach front, but i was steps from the beach. I kept the windows open at night and the waves put me to sleep. THere was one thunderstorm this week, which did generate mosquitos, so i do recommend you sleep with the mosquito net that is the room. I thought the spa treatments were also some of the best i've had in all of my world travels. I highly recommend the mayan treatments as they are unique and many of the staff have been doing them a long time, including having learned them from their elders. We did one excursion which i think i could have done without. It was a full afternoon trip to local ruins plus a long float in the river. What was priceless about this was the time with my new friends however. I recommed the Temzacal experience at the resort, but it's really important to understand the length of the ceremony and for you to ensure you can handle the heat for the amount of time. I loved it though, and will absolutely do it again -- yoga breathing clearly was my saviour!

I'll be back in a hearbeat -- thanks Maya Talum!

Room Tip: All rooms are frankly positioned nicely. I think the rooms near the south side of the property had...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Adventureloving
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Maya Tulum with a friend for 3 nights in April 2013 and had an incredible time. The yoga classes were top notch with knowledgeable, helpful instructors, offered twice a day (approx $15 each). We had a garden view cabana that was clean and roomy, complete with a small yard which was useful to dry bathing suits in the sun. The beach was gorgeous, but unfortunately during our stay the water in front of the hotel was full of seaweed, so we had to walk further up the coast to swim in clear water. The food at the hotel restaurant was tasty and well-prepared, but nothing special (I was a little disappointed that the strawberries in the fresh fruit smoothies were product of San Diego and not local!). Since we didn't buy an all inclusive package, we often ventured down the road to eat at Restaurare (incrdible vegan with locally sourced produce and fantastic juices) and El Tabano (delicious twists on typical Mexican fare, served in a boho-chic setting). The hotel is very well maintained, with friendly, hardworking staff manning the desk, cleaning rooms, patrolling the beach, maintaining the grounds; they quietly work in the background to ensure a pleasant stay for guests. The hotel appears to attract many solo travelers looking for a quiet respite, and most appear to want to keep to themselves (although this might be different during an organized yoga retreat which appeared to be starting around the time we were checking out). A must-do is to visit the hotel's labyrinth overlooking the sea for some quiet meditation. The Mayan ruins of Tulum and the main town of Tulum are each a short $5 cab ride away, and worth a visit. As our flight home was late (about 12 hours after check-out), we were offered one of the hotel's simple 'jungle cabanas' for our last few hours, which meant we could enjoy one last dip in the sea and freshen up before heading to the airport. Overall, an amazing stay in Tulum. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank eleniglobal
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My experience at Maya Tulum was unlike anything I have ever experience. Everything was great- from the staff to the food to the yoga. We had an awesome beach front cabana with a beautiful view. The cleaning staff was fabulous and we had lovely towel animals in our room every day. The food was vegetarian with seafood. The chef was amazing. We ate from the menu and buffet. Each meal was fantastic, everything was made from scratch including fresh juices in many varieties. The spa staff was out of this world. I have never been so relaxed after a massage. The Mayan specialties are a must, unlike any treatment I have ever had. The treatments include energy work as well as traditional massage techniques. We were quite happy to stay on or close to the resort but there are lots of things to do in the area including shopping. The resort has planned excursions, we went on one, but there are also lots of adventure parks close by.

Room Tip: This is a small resort with only 45 cabanas and you cannot flush toilet paper so if this will bother...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vanessa G
Reviewed 10 April 2013

very relaxing athmosphere and very friendly staff
vegetarian restaurant is excellent and offers plenty of choices: the juices & smoothies are delicious
I went to the twice a day yoga classes organized by the hotel and was very impressed with the quality of the teachers (especially Alexandra's classes)
the long walks on the beach in the morning were one of my favorite times
would go back without any hesitation

Room Tip: we had a garden bungalow which was perfectly adequate, no need to take a beachfront one
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank arcobaleno1978
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I agreed to join a girlfriend for a week long yoga retreat, I was in for the most amazing vacaton of my life!!!
The staff was so attentive to our every need. We were concerned about bugs and 4 legged visitors, we stayed in a room with 4 walls and a cement ceiling, Ask for room 4L or 7L, they are right on the beach!!. The yoga classes were amazing. The food was delicious, healthy, fresh and always abundant!! For those who want adult beverages, they have a great selection. Dont forget to get a fresh coconut drink, they take a coconut, chop the top off and place a straw inside. DELICIOUS!!!!! Make sure you take advantage of the massages. Read them carefully, there are some very special ones that can change your life!!! See what "Fabian" has for availability. A wonderful person with truly amazing gifts.....Beach does have rocks that you won't see until you trip on them. Water shoes are a must or walk down the beach to find nice swimming areas. Seek out the labryinth, a great morning ritual while you are there. The Body Mind and Spirit package is the best option, 2 spa treatments and 2 excursons are included in the 7 day pacakge!!! I will make this an annual trip with my girlfriend for years to come........

Room Tip: All rooms have thatched roofs, 2 rooms have 4 walls and a cement ceiling. Choose 4L or 7L if you hav...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends