“wonderful yoga retreat!”

Ranked #44 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Lunenburg, Canada
“wonderful yoga retreat!”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

this most beautiful 'yoga heaven' was just what I was looking for. if you are looking for good yoga , lovely swimming,fantastic food and a place to rejuvenate, this is it. wonderful beach setting.
Be careful with some other yoga places in Tulum, especially yoga adventures, as this may not be what you expected.
Maya Tulum is stellar in every way. and for added bonus, the spa treatments are wonderful:professional and therapeutic.
The staff are very friendly and make you feel at home. The ginger tea is splendid as are the fruit health smoothies. This is a place where you could be solo or not;good for either situation.
I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Aoutdoors
dena2450, Public Relations Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
We are so very thankful for making of your stay with us a unique and cherished moment.

We are truly happy to hear you enjoyed our tea! We will be having a new tea selection, and we have three new Spa cabins!! One of them is specially designed for Thai massage..

We hope to see you back soon.

Tania

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I loved this resort. The staff were really genuine and friendly and helped with whatever I needed. I was on a mind, body and soul package which meant everything was included including a couple of excursions. To be honest I probably wouldn't book a package again as the food was so delicious I couldn't help going back for more! The yoga instructors were excellent and all very different so I didn't get bored. I would have like to do two classes a day, but boy were they tough - so after day 3 I was down to one! Some of my fellow guests did suffer with bites while in the sea/beach, but I just used plenty of bug spray when in those areas and was fine. I will definitely return in the future. I liked this place so much that I'm off to their sister resort in Costa Rica next week!

Room Tip: Ocean front - the waves were really loud during the night- I loved being so close to the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ellietho
Thank you so much for such a heartful review!!!

We are very happy to hear you are visiting our sister hotel Pura Vida, in Costa Rica

We hope to see you back soon at Maya Tulum, we have updated our menu since December 2012, and we are pretty sure you will adore our new Tropical Jams (Papaya, Pineapple, and Green Tomatoe.. you can see pictures on our Social Media Official site ) spreadable in our Onsite-Homemade-Vegan-Bread .. One word.. YUM!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Maya Tulum was absolutely fantastic. I went on a yoga retreat with a group and couldn't have asked for a better setting. The yoga facilities were beautiful and SUPER clean. I could hear the ocean, wildlife and it felt so secluded. We used both yoga rooms, walked on the beaches and walked the labyrinth. There is even a spa where I had an incredible deep tissue massage from Karmen which was a great mid-week treatment.

The cabanas were also spotless and comfortable. I was going to relax so not having a phone, wifi, or AC was great for me to disconnect, get out of my element and still feel comfortable. I stayed in a larger cabana and had a mini "garden" in the back and space to relax in the one bedroom. It was cozy, beautiful and simple.

One of the highlights was the FOOD! Humberto, the food service director, was so attentive and the food was a 11 out of 10. I really appreciate healthy food and every day we had endless servings of fruit, fresh squeezed juice, coffee, fresh coconuts (grown on location), neat soups and freshly prepared vegetables. Chef Mitch's granola was also a favorite of the group. On top of the delicious food the staff was 100% professional and attentive. Our group always looked forward to the meals.

I went during "turtle season" so we hung out on the beach at night and saw HUGE sea turtles laying eggs, apparently this part of the beach is very popular for laying eggs and it was incredible. There were some days with kelp and seaweed but the maya tulum staff maintained the beach and there was plenty of room to swim.

I very much recommend Maya Tulum for groups and I would go back again!

Room Tip: My roommate and I were in a "family cabana" so we had three beds and two separated rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kayabella
We are so happy to hear you had an unforgettable moment with us! Our coconuts are as fresh as they can be, and it is recommended to drink them on an empty stomach to benefit from the amazing nutrients !!!! After all, it IS a SuperFood!!!

Thank you so much for enjoying our therapies at the Spa, we have amazing healers! We have three brand new Spa Cabins, including one for Thai Massage. And we also have launched the new "Signatura Treatments" per healer, each of them is unique and tailored for Maya Tulum.

Turtle season is from May-October, and we had on 2013 so far 40 nests!!!!!! Check our Official Social Network Fan Page, so you can find the hatching expected dates of the turtles!!!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I have deep ambivalence about Maya Tulum. It's on beautiful, expansive grounds that are calming and serene. I love the way the restaurant and yoga cabanas had window cutouts that gave you breathtaking views of the ocean. Truly special.

The breakfast is delicious, and other random food, smoothies, etc. we had were more than satisfactory. The yoga was great; staff super nice; everything was first rate. More than anything, I feel like Maya Tulum is "keeping it real," more than any of the newer, smaller resorts further down the strip. It's just not as pretentious and hip; it feels right, and authentic to me. Doesn't hurt that it's reasonable, too.

The problem is that the beach is borderline awful there. I expected to be able to swim off our beachfront Cabana; er, no. There's a huge amount of kelp accumulated on the beach and in the cove on which the resort is situated; it's slimy and impenetrable for swimming. It also smells pungent and rank during low tide, in the late afternoon. Not pleasant.

You can of course walk 5 minutes down the beach to swim in front of another resort; or go to any of the various beach clubs around. But if you're dreaming of hanging out on the beach in front of your cabana, ordering drinks all day - well, you can forget it. Not happening here. As much as I loved the resort, it has the worst beach I saw in Tulum. Bummer.

Rooms were nice, housekeeping service excellent; lack A/C, though, so be prepared for some humidity.

Room Tip: Liked beachfront - lovely ocean breeze.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alloyd50
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I spent a week at Maya Tulum with a meditation/yoga group. Loved the thatch roof cabins (we were nice and cozy during a storm) just steps away from the beach. The beach was groomed daily and the water was clear. The vegetarian fare was delicious! Mayan massages were the best! The staff helpful in every way. We are already planning to return as soon as we can.

Room Tip: We stayed beachfront, but garden rooms are fine. The grounds are quiet and lovely.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Linda606110
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We had a wonderful time, yet again, great hospitality, fine accomodations and beautiful ocean scenery, walking the endless beach is just paradise...
Tulum is still on the raw, no highrises or commercial business, pretty natural and laid back

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sayarn
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I was very nervous about taking my first solo vacation. I can confidently recommend Maya Tulum to anyone looking to recharge their batteries either alone, or with friends. The beach was amazing. The spa was top notch. You absolutely must get the Mayan Clay Massage. The best!!! The food was also great. I was nervous that it was all vegetarian, but after day 1 I had already forgotten. Very tasty! No complaints. Very relaxing and very safe. I will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013