“Cannot wait to go back - perfect experience”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #47 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
Lansing, MI
“Cannot wait to go back - perfect experience”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful girls' trip here in August. We were in Cabana 10, right on the beach. The minute we put our luggage down and walked out to explore a little, someone found a hatching turtle nest! It was amazing. The staff quickly came running with a plastic bin to collect them in order to keep the birds from eating them. As the little turtles emerged from the nest, they were quickly and gently picked up. We were able to watch them being released later that night under a full moon. Magical!

The staff here are amazing. The care they take in keeping this place spotless is unreal. We loved the little foot washes outside the rooms - clean water every day! - and the beautiful tile in the bathrooms. Everyone that we had contact with here was kind and very welcoming. One of the front desk staff (ugh - can't remember his name. :( ) was so kind; we told him we wanted to find a store where we could buy an auxiliary cable to use in our rental car to play music from our phone. He said, "I've got one you can borrow." He let us use it for the whole day on our trip to Coba. So kind!! I have to say, that really made our trip. That kind of thoughtfulness was totally evident from all the staff.

The spa treatments are great. I had the Mayan Clay massage, which was really fun. After the massage, you go into the ocean (walking down there from the room to the beach, covered in mud, is a hoot) and wash clean. I admit I was more concerned with keeping the sheet around me since you're in your birthday suit underneath. LOL.

The food is excellent. You'll read lots of raves about the granola - there's a reason for that. I couldn't believe the size of the pecans in it! I'm usually not a yogurt-for-breakfast person, but the mixed fruit salad with granola and yogurt was pretty much all we ate every day to get us started. The portions are generous too - we kept ordering too much food because it all sounded (and tasted) so good! The fruit waters are delicious and such a wonderful addition to a healthy menu. We didn't actually eat a lot at the restaurant, except for breakfast, but everything we had was very good.

We arrived on a Wednesday and had perfect weather until Friday afternoon, when a storm came through. Before that, the ocean was smooth as silk. We didn't see any unexpected quantities of seaweed, but heck, it's the ocean. That's part of the environment. I will say there are two sections of beach, one on the east side of the property and one on the west. The east side looked rockier, but more protected and the west side (where we were at) had more sand. After Friday afternoon, the sea was too fierce to swim in, but was beautiful to look at. :) Be aware that the wind and wave noise is VERY persistent so if you think this will bother you, take ear plugs. I never thought I would be bothered by the sound of water, but when the storm came in, the wind and wave noise was pretty rough. Probably cause I was a little anxious about us leaving our windows open to catch the breeze and was afraid we'd be rained on. ha! That did happen to us: we left Friday to tour Coba and left our windows open. When the storm popped up, we came home to find the mosquito nets all blown to the back of the room with sand all over the beds and water all over the stone floor. Ugh - mess! Our own fault too - airheads. :)

Speaking of the wind and the waves, I wouldn't hesitate to go back again in an August. To me, that might have been the perfect time. There wasn't the crush of humanity you get at high season, the staff were super laid-back (and I'm assuming this was part of the reason - fewer people!), plus being right on the beach, it was never too hot to sleep. I'm from Michigan and do not do well sleeping when it's too hot. However, between the ceiling fan, the stand-alone fan they give you, plus the beach breeze, I really did sleep very well overall.

For those whose only experience in Mexico has been at all-inclusives: this is not that! Please don't compare your experience there with what you'll find at Maya Tulum. Maya Tulum is very much a place to feel less surrounded by the sterility of modern resorts and yet it maintains all the benefits of the 21st century. Their wi-fi worked just fine (although the signal strength was poor in our cabana), the sheets and beds are spotless, the shower has hot water. This is an eco-resort: water is trucked in and waste is trucked out; you will see and hear lizards in your cabana; there are insects there (relax! They're not going to hurt you!); and you will need to bring and WEAR mosquito spray. Don't complain about the bites if you're not willing to wear the spray. We did and weren't bothered in the least. Welcome to the jungle.

My friend and I both agree that we'll be coming back for a full week next time. Most other places we've gone before (last was St. John), we were both ready to go home at the end of our 5 days, but Maya Tulum left us wanting juuuuuuust a couple more days. We checked out the other resorts along the playa road and didn't feel any need to go anywhere else. Maya Tulum had it all for us. I can not WAIT to return!

By the way, if you were going to pay with cash, get money out of an ATM beforehand. You won't get a good exchange rate for pesos from the resort (it's a business, after all) and the final charges can be paid in either USD or pesos. Also, they can split stuff up if you're visiting with a friend. Tell them ahead of time that you'll want to use your credit card to pay (they need to have it verified by the Georgia office Monday-Friday; can't do it on the weekends) and have both parties names put on the room's account. This made it very easy for us to each charge stuff to the room, but split it up fairly at the end. Maybe this is common at resorts - it was new to me, but I haven't had the opportunity to do resort travel.

Room Tip: Cabanas on the west beach have a better beach to access (although you can use any beach on the compo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank MrsBug

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Doha
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I just returned from a 7-day Body, Mind, Spirit package and I loved it. Just loved it. The resort is small and quiet (except for the waves), clean, and comfortable. Everybody I met at Maya Tulum was friendly and professional. The beach was wonderful .... gorgeous white sand and incredible turquoise water and intense blue skies. There was one rough day from a storm, but every other day I went swimming multiple times. The cabanas are simple, clean, and mine had a balcony with chairs and a table facing the sea; other cabanas had porches and chairs as well for sitting outside. The food was excellent and plentiful. I am not a yoga devotee and so my practice is limited, but each instructor I had was very respectful, considerate and careful about giving me extra time and showing me how to simplify my moves. At the same time, they were all great about giving advanced students ways to challenge themselves. I felt they were all fully engaged in their classes. There was a variety of classes, twice a day, and selfishly, I wish there had been one or two more beginner classes, and more beginner's classes taught by an instructor named Tania, who was lovely. Joanna was another teacher who was exceptionally kind. Although I was very out of shape, I learned a lot and have something to build on. My favourite elements, however, were the spa treatments. I had four different treatments and they were all exceptional, especially the Reiki Combo treatment with Chandree. The week I was at Maya Tulum, there were people of all ages ... young students (3 or 4), young and middle-aged couples, older friends, and young, middle-aged and older singles; I did not feel out of place at all. I was so glad I made a last-minute decision to make this trip, as it was a wonderful experience. And people were so kind when I tried to speak Spanish. Really, they could not have been nicer!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NikkiCDoha
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reviewed 22 August 2013

With a few minor exceptions, this was a perfect trip. I know a lot of people have commented on the seaweed on the beach, so I'll address that first. Yep, there was a bunch of seaweed. Sometimes, it didn't smell nice. However, they had a gent out on the beach raking it up most of the time, and I was still able to go in the ocean unmolested by plant life. The person who said that the beach was basically rocks surprised me-- perhaps the seaweed was obscuring the vast expanse of white, powdery sand that I enjoyed. Rest assured, there is a great deal of beach, and it is lovely.

The positives:

- Loved the beach huts. I was in F, at the very edge of the property, and loved the privacy. Room was a great size, clean, comfortable, and had the perfect blend of rustic luxury.

- Staff were excellent, particularly those that clean the rooms and grounds. They were particularly good at finding just the right moment to clean my room; I never saw them there, they were never there when I wanted to be in the room, my room was just magically clean whenever I came back. Also, groundskeepers are everywhere and constantly raking, pruning, and beautifying.

- Food was awesome. By the last of five days I was starting to want a bit more variety, but the menu is quite good. The seafood here is fantastic and varied. The Chac Mool fish for dinner was particularly tasty.

- Yoga class with Victor was fabulous. Just the right amount of challenge, direction, and relaxation. Tania's classes are great if you want something slower/more relaxing. Sem's classes were fun for a good work out, and his sense of humor made you love him, even as he was telling you to spread your fingers wider for the hundredth time.

- I had one of the Mayan treatments, a sea salt scrub and honey massage, with Carmen. AMAZING. I will admit, with deep shame, to having drooled a little, I was so blissed out. She is a tiny woman with amazing hands; if you're looking for pampering, I strongly recommend her.

There are a few points I think they could work on. I wouldn't go so far as calling them negatives, but perhaps growth points:

- Yoga classes and excursions often start at the same time, or overlap. This just seems like poor planning. If you're there to do yoga and want to ALSO do excursions, you should be able to do both. They did change the time of one of the excursions for us, which was great, but it seems like this should be scheduled better.

- Yoga is offered twice a day, which is perfect, but some of the classes are beginner classes. This is great, BUT if you're going to a yoga retreat, and you are not a beginner, it's a bit irksome to either miss the class, or go and feel like you're not being challenged. I think they can still have a beginners class, but would like it if the teacher perhaps offered options for those in the class who aren't beginners.

The highlight of my trip needed its own paragraph. The Temazcal ceremony. DO IT! It's basically a Mayan sweat lodge, looks like a big brick igloo. I had heard of them before coming, and decided to do it. I was a little worried that the heat would be unbearable, but if you've been in a steam room or a hot yoga class, you'll be able to manage just fine. The ceremony, from start to finish, took us about 3.5 hours (not all of that in the sweat lodge, have no fear). The medicine man, Adrian, was incredible. He was great at explaining what we were doing and why, why we were using certain stones or herbs, etc. After we'd sweated, chanted, screamed and laid ourselves bare (figuratively, not literally) we came out to a warm night breeze, the ocean crashing, and moonlight like you wouldn't believe. I had such a sense of peace, elation-- definitely one of those moments you remember.

I met some really fabulous people on this trip, and they certainly contributed to the fun, welcoming atmosphere of Maya Tulum. Would certainly go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank RunCatchKiss
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I booked a 3 day package at Maya Tulum as I originally intended to travel alone and liked the yoga aspect plus the fact many solo travellers had rated it highly.
It has many things going for it - great yoga, amazing spa treatments, nice food and lovely grounds.
However there were a few things that I wasn't so impressed by that would make me hesitant to recommend to others.
Firstly and by far the biggest issue was the beach. My expectation of a beach holiday is to be able to walk out the front of the property and swim. If this is your expectation also, Maya Tulum is probably not the best option in Tulum. There are rocks in front of the property and with that, a lot of seaweed. This seaweed is very smelly and awful to swim amongst. We stayed somewhere previous to this where the beach was perfect and if you want to spend time in the water there are much nicer areas from Coco Tulum south or from Mezzanine north.
I also paid a premium for a beachfront room to find it had no real beach (only rocks and seaweed) no outdoor area to hang wet swimsuits etc and no where to just hang out and enjoy the ambience.
I also realised the package was very expensive and if I went again I would buy just accommodation and pay for yoga, food etc on an ad hoc basis. Tulum has so many great places to eat and it seems a shame to eat at only one place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Libapotamus
Lunenburg, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013

this most beautiful 'yoga heaven' was just what I was looking for. if you are looking for good yoga , lovely swimming,fantastic food and a place to rejuvenate, this is it. wonderful beach setting.
Be careful with some other yoga places in Tulum, especially yoga adventures, as this may not be what you expected.
Maya Tulum is stellar in every way. and for added bonus, the spa treatments are wonderful:professional and therapeutic.
The staff are very friendly and make you feel at home. The ginger tea is splendid as are the fruit health smoothies. This is a place where you could be solo or not;good for either situation.
I cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Aoutdoors
dena2450, Public Relations Manager at Maya Tulum Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
We are so very thankful for making of your stay with us a unique and cherished moment.

We are truly happy to hear you enjoyed our tea! We will be having a new tea selection, and we have three new Spa cabins!! One of them is specially designed for Thai massage..

We hope to see you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I loved this resort. The staff were really genuine and friendly and helped with whatever I needed. I was on a mind, body and soul package which meant everything was included including a couple of excursions. To be honest I probably wouldn't book a package again as the food was so delicious I couldn't help going back for more! The yoga instructors were excellent and all very different so I didn't get bored. I would have like to do two classes a day, but boy were they tough - so after day 3 I was down to one! Some of my fellow guests did suffer with bites while in the sea/beach, but I just used plenty of bug spray when in those areas and was fine. I will definitely return in the future. I liked this place so much that I'm off to their sister resort in Costa Rica next week!

Room Tip: Ocean front - the waves were really loud during the night- I loved being so close to the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ellietho
Thank you so much for such a heartful review!!!

We are very happy to hear you are visiting our sister hotel Pura Vida, in Costa Rica

We hope to see you back soon at Maya Tulum, we have updated our menu since December 2012, and we are pretty sure you will adore our new Tropical Jams (Papaya, Pineapple, and Green Tomatoe.. you can see pictures on our Social Media Official site ) spreadable in our Onsite-Homemade-Vegan-Bread .. One word.. YUM!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Maya Tulum was absolutely fantastic. I went on a yoga retreat with a group and couldn't have asked for a better setting. The yoga facilities were beautiful and SUPER clean. I could hear the ocean, wildlife and it felt so secluded. We used both yoga rooms, walked on the beaches and walked the labyrinth. There is even a spa where I had an incredible deep tissue massage from Karmen which was a great mid-week treatment.

The cabanas were also spotless and comfortable. I was going to relax so not having a phone, wifi, or AC was great for me to disconnect, get out of my element and still feel comfortable. I stayed in a larger cabana and had a mini "garden" in the back and space to relax in the one bedroom. It was cozy, beautiful and simple.

One of the highlights was the FOOD! Humberto, the food service director, was so attentive and the food was a 11 out of 10. I really appreciate healthy food and every day we had endless servings of fruit, fresh squeezed juice, coffee, fresh coconuts (grown on location), neat soups and freshly prepared vegetables. Chef Mitch's granola was also a favorite of the group. On top of the delicious food the staff was 100% professional and attentive. Our group always looked forward to the meals.

I went during "turtle season" so we hung out on the beach at night and saw HUGE sea turtles laying eggs, apparently this part of the beach is very popular for laying eggs and it was incredible. There were some days with kelp and seaweed but the maya tulum staff maintained the beach and there was plenty of room to swim.

I very much recommend Maya Tulum for groups and I would go back again!

Room Tip: My roommate and I were in a "family cabana" so we had three beds and two separated rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kayabella
We are so happy to hear you had an unforgettable moment with us! Our coconuts are as fresh as they can be, and it is recommended to drink them on an empty stomach to benefit from the amazing nutrients !!!! After all, it IS a SuperFood!!!

Thank you so much for enjoying our therapies at the Spa, we have amazing healers! We have three brand new Spa Cabins, including one for Thai Massage. And we also have launched the new "Signatura Treatments" per healer, each of them is unique and tailored for Maya Tulum.

Turtle season is from May-October, and we had on 2013 so far 40 nests!!!!!! Check our Official Social Network Fan Page, so you can find the hatching expected dates of the turtles!!!

Looking forward to seeing you soon.