“This place is pretty awesome ... a few things I wish I known.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #44 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
Fallbrook, California
“This place is pretty awesome ... a few things I wish I known.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

This resort is really nice - the food was amazing ever single meal! We did the all inclusive for 7 nights and while is ended up being kinda pricey, we had no regrets. The Cabana we were in was literally 50 yards from the surf and it was spectacular. The place has a real native feel that I doubt you could find else ware. The yoga was cool - you could take two classes a day. Although there were some instructors that I like a lot more than others, I took in as many classes as I could. The tours they offer in the package I highly recommend too.

There are a few things I wish I would have known however:

1.) If you are a wine lover go to the big grocery store down the road on the right just before you get to the main area of Tulum (about a 10 minute taxi ride). They have an amazing Argentine Malbec on the menu at Maya Tulum that you pay about $35 a bottle for when you have dinner, but you can get the same bottle at the store down the road for less than $10 (it is worth the taxi fare just for one bottle!). There are many other good Mexican and South American wines at that store as well.

2.) If you are paying for their tours (which are worth the expense), don't bother bringing your own snorkel gear from home. Everyone provides that for you whether you are going to swim with the Sea Turtles or take a cool dip in the Dos Ojos Cenote [do get to that one!] - a tour with MexiDivers just north of the resort and it was neat!

3.) Exchange your dollars for Pesos as soon as you can. The poor rate of exchange that you get when you pay for extras at meals and other things at Maya Tulum is a couple pesos less than the bank rate and feels kinda like you get double charged for things using dollars. You can go to the big grocery store down the road, previously mentioned, and use a HSBC ATM [there are English instructions on it] and get pesos from your US bank account easily and the charges were pretty minimal.

4.) If you want good coffee bring a coffee press and buy what you like at the local grocery store. The coffee and tea selection in the dining room was a surprising disappointment. I have had better in gas stations frankly. HOWEVER - the Ginger Tea they always have available for guests in the dining room was fabulous.

5.) This is not Baja people ... I am used to going to Mexico South of San Diego. Things are not as cheap on the Caribbean side of Mexico.

6.) If your wife is menopausal, don't take her to the tropics. Just saying ... there is no air conditioning in the cabanas (reflect back on the comment about the place being native), but there is a good breeze blowing all the time. After the first day, I acclimated. The spouse, not so much.

Over all we had a great time the week were there!

Room Tip: Try and get a cabana at the South end of the beach ... the North end there was some pretty intense s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank FallbrookGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My daughter and I spent a week at Maya Tulum from May 31-June 7 with a group of 30+ other yogis. The setting is quite simply divine. You have to be OK with the eco-friendly approach of this place, as their focus is on sustainable living and creating a healing environment for their guests. This is an ideal place for those who want to get back to nature in a graceful and supportive way. The food is clean and local and well prepared. The cabanas are clean, beds are comfortable. And I can't say enough about the massage therapists/Mayan healers they have on the property. They all specialize on treatments from the Mayan tradition, but you can also get deep massage, Thai massage, Cranio-Sacral, ets. My only 'critic' (and this is just my personal preference) is that I wish the cabanas were air-conditioned. I know given the nature of this place, that's not possible. But the week we were there it rained a lot and was incredibly humid. While I'm fine with this during the day, I had some trouble sleeping at night because of the heat. But if you want an experience of 'being back in the womb' in terms of an all-inclusive environment, where you will be pampered, fed incredibly well, have the sound of the ocean with you through your entire stay and have views that rival anywhere in the world, I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money to get a beach-front cabana. You'll get the breeze off the ocean and have...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ppkhalsa
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I've just returned to The States after a full week at a yoga retreat at Maya Tulum. The combination of physical beauty and kind, thoughtful and skilled service at the resort exceeded any I've experienced anywhere. So did the mix of comfort and immersion in nature. (We were lucky enough to see a sea turtle lay her eggs on the beach... ) In addition to the daily yoga and BEST massage I've ever experienced, I'll always cherish our exposure Mayan culture and the strange but beautiful geology of the Yucaton, especially those bracing and entrancing cenotes. We were so lucky that our retreat leader knew and reconnected with a gentle, knowledgable and helpful driver to help us explore. If you want such service, you'll find it from Nehemais (Jeremy) at http://taxi-tulum.com/

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CMC1958
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Situated at the beginning of a three mile stretch of beach in Tulum, sits the peaceful MAYA TULUM. The food is simple yet tastefully healthy, the rooms are thoughtfully laid out & beautifully cleaned every morning with fresh towels, the yoga (a la carte) is challenging & meditative, the spa is pure bliss. Loved my morning ritual of an early cup of coffee with a meditative walk through the sacred labyrinth followed by breakfast, yoga and beach lounging. Loved taking long walks down the beach after lunch then heading into the spa for a Mayan speciality massage/body treatment. Dos ojos cenote snorkeling excursion is not to be missed as is the shaman led, sweat lodge(temazcal). You can even rent a bike in town for the whole day for only $10.00! Book it, it'll be worth it if you're looking for a mind, body spirit connection to recharge your battery!

Room Tip: Stay on south end of the resort!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank YummyTravels
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

My two best women friends and I spent 5 days here to celebrate our 30th birthdays. We did a TON of searching for places where we could both sun, read, relax and do yoga and settled on Maya Tulum when they offered us a great deal. We shared a room and it was plenty big for the 3 of us. The food was great, but we did get a bit tired of the items on the menu after a few days- it was very nice of the staff to work with us to mix things up a bit. I can't say enough good things about the kitchen staff, especially on the last night when they brought us a birthday cake!

We did have one night where we were kept up by loud music down the beach, but other than that it was quiet and peaceful. The beaches are stunning and very well kept (they even swept away the seaweed), and the water is pristine blue. We did the snorkeling excursion which I don't really recommend- the water was super choppy that day and the visibility wasn't great. But the yoga was fantastic and the teachers were some of the best I've ever had, and it was a lovely walk to the little town for fresh coconuts and craft shopping. I will definitely be coming back here!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin by the beach!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank CLS3000
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

A friend of mine raved about Maya Tulum, calling it "Maya Tuwomb" because it made her feel happy and safe. Maybe the bar was set too high, but I definitely did not leave with this same impression.

Pros:
1) Excellent yoga teachers. Sem was demanding, Alessandra & Tania were classic flow teachers & Victor brought about new experiences
2) Great location, and the grounds were serene
3) The food was good, especially breakfast and lunch. Dinner buffet felt a little like leftovers, but by dinner I was generally not super hungry, and you could always order off the menu - the staff in the dining hall were all very nice and accommodating.
4) The Mayan Mud Massage that I received from Myra was life altering, amazing & fantastic
**note, I had pre-paid for this massage prior to arriving. I was told that they had time @ 11:30a reserved, but that I would need to pick my masseuse and they would final book upon my arrival. This did not happen, so I booked my own massage @ the Spa, knowing I had pre-paid. There was definitely a mix-up in communication and I was charged double, but in the end, after a lot of back and forth, they refunded and only charged me for the massage I received.

Cons:
1) There was a rave about 3km from MT - this was nothing management could fix. This made for 2 horrible night's sleep, and the front of the house/management didn't really have any answers and more or less shrugged their shoulders. I felt awful for people checking in, not knowing what they were about to endure
2) The seaweed is a problem. My friend pre-warned me to stay near the yoga studio, because of the dead fish/seaweed smell. With the change in the ocean temperatures and pollution, I believe that this is only going to become more of a problem, as there wasn't any part of the MT beach not affected - I know this is nature, but I believe there should be acknowledgement by management that this may occur and let the guest decide if they want to roll the dice. We ventured to the beach further down and set up camp in front of other hotels that enjoyed white sands and pristine waters, crossing fingers we wouldn't get kicked out.
3) Overall, the front of the house/ reception was not good. They say they're "there" for you 24hrs/day, but in reality, they're just physically there, and unhelpful.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the yoga side, as far down as you can, away from the seaweed.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank clew416
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I attended a retreat in November 2013, held at Maya Tulum. If you are wondering if you should stay at Maya Tulum (which you probably are, since you are reading reviews on Trip Advisor), let me help you: yes. Go. Book it now. Come back and read more reviews later.

One of the best, most relaxing, and beautiful weeks of my grown-up life. The staff are sweet, kind and helpful. The food is...beyond amazing. It gets better every day. The cabanas are comfortable and have spectacular views. Their ocean access is perfect for swimming, their beach is perfect for mediation, sleeping, reading, or watching clouds float by.

I look forward to the day I can come back to Maya Tulum!

Room Tip: The cabanas on the right side (looking out at the ocean) have better direct beach access. There is...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo