“Overrated-Pretentious-once a nice place to stay.”
Review of Maya Tulum Resort

Maya Tulum Resort
Ranked #49 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 17 March 2009

OK-this place is nice to look at. over the years they have made a lot of changes. Here are the problems-starting to look like a resort rather than an escape to TULUM-over priced-same rooms they have had for years-now triple the price-what am I paying for? Terrible food-just terrible-with a wait staff that is trying to hard. The space for the restaurant is the same structure-with the same terrible buffet now served in silver warming trays-big deal! OH- if you're rich or not and smoke-don't stay here you can't enjoy a dinner in an OPEN AIR RESTAURANT with a smoke-go figure. That was it for me-I left. Yes the Yoga rooms a nice and they have massage. This place was so much fun years ago and just beautiful-now it's just another over priced resort with no pool at resort prices-enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank tbfairfield
There are newer reviews for Maya Tulum Resort

Reviewed 5 March 2009

This was my second trip to Maya Tulum and it is bigger and busier than before but the beach is still magnificent.

In general, the hotel seems to be catering more to yoga retreat groups - there were lots of people with name tags walking around and there was a constant buffet set up in the dining room which was a huge turn-off.

The beach is magnificent and I still feel Maya Tulum is decent value.

The pros:
The beach is still among the most beautiful in the world and you can walk along for miles and see only handfulls of people.
The rooms are nice and now have electricity past 10pm.
The spa is really nice although a little expensive.
Nice gift shop.
The people who work at the resort are very, very nice.

The cons:
Charged an ocean view while I really had a deck view of the yoga studio. The prices in general are much higher than my last visit (2005).
Couldn't use the yoga stuido because I wasn't part of the large yoga retreat that stayed there at the same time.
There are more rooms and less with an outdoor seating area that actually faces the ocean. If this is important to you rooms D, E, F seem to still have this feature.
The buffet and unrelaxing atmosphere in the restaurant (which used to be a pleasant place to eat and watch the waves).
The throngs of people in yoga gear and name tags...just seems more like a group / all inclusive type resort than a relaxing, peaceful holiday place.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SWTTRAVELS
Reviewed 19 January 2009

Overall:
Maya Tulum is the perfect destination for couples who want a quiet Caribbean vacation. Unlike many resorts we have been to, Maya Tulum is truly a place where you are left alone to relax. This is NOT a place to go if you want to party, drink many margaritas and dance the night away. The beach is one of the nicest I have seen. Powdery sand, very clean, and not a single hawker of trinkets. You can stroll from the hotel to….forever.
We had marginal weather during most of our stay, but, that left more time to enjoy the hotel’s yoga, meditation and massage offerings.
This hotel caters to those who want quiet. It wasn’t quite library quiet, but I fully expected to get “shhhshhh-ed” a couple of times when I sneezed. There are no TV’s or radios in the rooms. I was blissfully out-of-touch with the world. The only music to be heard was quietly playing throughout the hotel’s yoga and massage area or in the background in the open-air restaurant.
Transfers:
We opted out of renting a car at the airport. From all the research we did, the airport rentals were vastly cheaper; however, we were also leery of the local constabulary and their reputation for perfecting the “tourista shakedown.”. (In fairness, we have no idea if that reputation is deserved or not.) We chose USA Transfers and it was a great choice. Our drivers were on-time and courteous. A private van for just the two of us was $145.00US r/t. It’s not a short ride from the airport to Tulum and our driver graciously stopped at a store to get beverages.
Check-in
Check-in at Maya Tulum was seamless. From the time we got out of the van to the time we walked into our room was no more than 10 minutes.
The Room:
We were taking a last minute trip and many of the nicer rooms in Tulum were booked. We ended up staying in a Garden Room at Maya Tulum. This is the least of their room choices but it was not bad at all. Each room is a small cabana. Ours had two double beds, two sitting chairs with a small table, plenty of closet space, a two-sink wash area, separate bathroom facility, and separate shower. We did wish that there was a small sofa or couch. While we didn’t spend an unusual amount of time in the room, during the quiet nights it would have been nice to sit on a couch together.
The safe was adequate and we were never concerned about security.
There is a good reason for the mosquito netting around the beds. Use them! When properly utilized they can make your vacation significantly more enjoyable. I can’t speak with any authority on the rooms closer to the cooling ocean breezes, but our room had mosquitoes and no-see-ums each night. After one night of careless bug prep, we took the appropriate precautions and only came home with a couple of souvenir bites.
Our room was only a few moments stroll down a path to get right to the beach. (The pathways were always raked and yes, sculpted, each morning. I actually felt a little guilty walking down the freshly raked paths in the morning. )
An issue worth noting: Maya Tulum does not provide beach towels. They sell some expensive ones. Wee bought two towels down the road. Still not cheap, but better than the hotel prices.

The Restaurant
Tulum beach is no bargain. In Sayulita, for instance, you feel like you are getting a little bit of a deal on most things. In Tulum, there aren’t a lot of deals and US prices are the norm. The restaurant at Maya Tulum was nice enough but count on paying 10-20 US dollars per meal (without alcohol). In comparison, the meals in the town of Tulum itself were a slightly better bargain.
I’m a meat eater. Now, before you get all Vegan on my head, I deeply apologize to all animals… everywhere… for wanting to grill them. But there is no meat to be found on the menu at Maya Tulum. The menu is heavy on fish and has few pasta dishes and some Mexican offerings. Most of the patrons of Maya Tulum are there to do yoga, so the restaurant is definitely catering to their base, but, would a piece of chicken really kill the spirit of the place? My wife loved almost all items on the menu, so it’s really just your own preferences.
I found the service and quality of food to be inconsistent. I had one of their Mexican dishes twice and it was two completely different eating experiences. The first time was tasty and delicious. The second time it was barely cooked and tasted like it was put together on an assembly line of auto workers. Our order got messed up only once, and the staff, while incredibly friendly and efficient, most did not know English well enough to answer our questions. Pathetically, our Spanish is limited to, “Can we have more salsa?” Of course, since we were visitors in THEIR Spanish-speaking country, this is not really a complaint, just a reality.
Tours
We didn’t take any of the hotel tours. They looked a little pricey. The walk to the beach zone from the hotel was only 10 minutes. We tended to stroll and it took 15. We rented bicycles for 8 US dollars apiece and rode the 20-30 minutes to the Tulum Ruins.
[A note of caution: Iguanas play chicken. When riding a rented bicycle in Tulum, be aware that iguanas have tendency to cross the road wherever and whenever they feel like it. I was riding along nicely when a fairly large iguana stopped directly in front of me. Unfortunately for me, the brakes on my rental bike actually worked. I slammed on both brakes and promptly flew over the handlebars and crashed onto the pavement. I got banged up pretty nicely and the iguana, I have come to believe, had a good laugh with his lizard buddies. “Did you see that gringo flying through the air?”]
The Tulum Ruins were extraordinary. They are not tall and expansive. You do not get a sense of wonder at their size. It is their location on the blue/green waters of the Caribbean that makes them worth the effort. We did some reading on Mayan history before we went but still did not know precisely what we were looking at. There were many guides available and there were groups of various sizes getting tours. We just ambled around the many paths and took in the sights. We spent some time on the small beach right below the ruins. Swimming under the gaze of Mayan history was memorable.
Yoga – Meditation – Massages – Tezmascal
Maya Tulum is a yoga destination. While we were there, two organized groups of yoga practitioners from the US were visiting. The hotel has two very nice yoga studios and offers a variety of different kinds of a la carte yoga classes for all skill levels. My wife took several classes and had very positive experiences at all of them. I took a meditation class and Tai Chi class and was pleased with both. The classes cost about 12 US dollars apiece which was a fair price.
We both got massages and were very happy with them. The spa treatments are not cheap at Maya Tulum. But, of all the things Maya Tulum provides, their spa services are probably their strongest asset. I had the best massage I have ever experienced from a woman named Nayra.
Tezmescal
We received a notice in our room that the hotel was offering a traditional Tezmescal ritual for 50 US dollars. The Tezmascal is essentially a Mexican sauna. We decided to try it.
I had visions that the ceremony was going to resemble a scene out of the film “Altered States” complete with hallucinations and life changing self-revelation. I was disappointed. The “priest” who took us through the ceremony seemed more like a Disney version of an Indian Shaman. (We, in fact, were doing an Aztec version of the Tezmescal and not an indigenous Mayan version.)
There were 13 participants. We sat in a circle for quite a while outside the sauna (it seemed like an eternity to my aching knees and butt) listening to an all too detailed explanation of the process. To be fair to some of the other participants, some of them took their Aztec version of the Mayan version of a Mexican sauna very seriously. I found the pre-sauna patter to be a bit patronizing.
We finally entered the sauna which was a small brick dome. (It looked a little too much like an oven for my tastes.) People were in varying states of undress, with some in shorts and tee shirts, some in bathing suits and two brave women in the raw. It can be a bit crowded if not claustrophobic. I would have liked a little more personal space, perhaps limiting the number of people to 9 or ten maximum.
There was some chanting and percussive maraca shaking. Mostly, there was a lot of sweating. There was a reason that building looked like an oven. We went through four rounds of heating the room up with red hot cinder blocks with water dropped on them. By the fourth one, I was wondering: 1. when will this end? And 2. I could really use a cold beer.
No hallucinations, no life-changing revelation and I didn’t turn into a caveman or a lizard or anything!! It was just a really hot sauna.
I was a little dismayed that the notice they gave to guests announcing the treatment specifically said the price was 50 dollars per person but they ended up charging 62. It wasn’t a big deal because the whole “ceremony” lasted almost 3-and-a-half hours.
Mostly I felt like I had been taken to a “show” rather than an experience. I found our Shaman’s presentation to be more theater than belief. I also found his emphasis on issues relating to women to be patronizing and not reverent.
But it was a really hot sauna.
Tulum Town
Take the time to go to the town of Tulum. It’s bustling with tourists and locals alike. It’s where the best food is. There are far more choices for dining and sampling in town. There are bakeries that serve the best Mexican pastries at bargain prices. There are quite a few jewelry, trinket and tee shirt shops if you are looking to do some shopping. (Don’t forget to bargain. The first price you get from a vendor will be ridiculously high. We countered with ridiculously low and usually ended up paying just over half the original quoted price.)
The cost of a cab from the hotel to the town was around 5 dollars each way. (The town is also easily gotten to by bicycle, however, I now felt sure that the iguanas were out to screw me so we took a cab.) You could also walk from the beach area if you are reasonably fit.
While in town, we ate at a popular restaurant and ordered a bowl of Chiles Caribe. A succulent bowl of all kinds of hot and not-so-hot chilies, garlic, carrots and onions all soaking in a delicious pickle brine. It was the finest thing I have ever eaten in Mexico; Simple, colorful and a new adventure in oral thermal tolerance with each bite.
Conclusion
Tulum is still a relatively quiet and unspoiled slice of the Mexican Caribbean, but its tourist industry is growing quickly. There are still many beaches where you can be totally secluded and the beaches remain pristine. The locals are friendly and helpful. Thankfully, the area seems to take its quietness seriously. There are no high rise mega resorts going up that we could tell. And, the fact that Tulum’s electric power is erratic should not be looked at as an inconvenience but rather a quaint and rustic quality that keeps the Tulum more of a serene getaway than spring break yahoo destination.
Relax, stroll, do a few downward facing dogs (that’s a yoga thing), swim, snorkel, hike…and then go to bed at 9:30. If that sounds like your vacation then go to Cozumel because I want Tulum to myself.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank IguanaPreserver
Reviewed 19 December 2008

The electricity wasnt always on, but everything else was. The day trips were great (small vans) the food awesome, and the never-wear-shoes-anywhere the best. Learned some great yoga too, and our 7 yr old daughter was very happy.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank rockclimberfamily
Reviewed 19 December 2008

My daughter and I came back last night from Maya Tulum. I must say that this is the most beautiful place I have ever been. So simple, peaceful, different, interesting, relaxing and absolutely amazing. We both loved it. If you want to stay somewhere that is literally on the beach, this is the place for you. The little cabanas you stay in are so different. Loved the open air and the palm leaf covered roofs. Absolutely loved the open air shower. How much better does it get than taking a shower while you are looking out at the ocean right outside your open window. Every cabana is built a little differently and the sandy tropical garden paths winding between them are beautiful. There was a man who worked there and spent the day raking "Zen" patterns in the sandy paths and walkways....charming. The spa huts and outside showers connected to them are beautiful. The beach was pretty much deserted for the most part of the day except for my daughter and I. It was heavenly. I was amazed that none of the reviews we read here said anything about anyone being naked on the beach. In our experience there were more naked people on the beach than clothed. The first couple of days it was a little unnerving...but by the end of the week we were used to the nakedness!!

We both had spa treatments...hers was a chocolate body scrub and mine was a "winter exfoliation" called calabasuchi...ahhhhhh....wonderful. The excursion we took to the Sian Kaan biosphere and ruins was amazing. We both loved every minute of it. My favorite part was jumping off the boat in the wetlands and slowly floating with the current through an ancient Mayan made canal. Unforgetable experience.

The yoga was serene and beautiful. The restaurant was also so beautiful, open air, and the natural, healthy food was delicious. I must say our favorite meal was definitely breakfast. The fresh fruit, and I do mean fresh, and french toast (Pan Frances) was incredible. Try the chaya juice....delicious. The staff, including front desk, waiters, hostesses, cleaning people, were all friendly, sweet, and charming.

It is definitely a different atmosphere than the usual vacation. A little rugged, but so worth it. Remote, blindingly beautiful, spotlessly clean, no crowd, serene, peaceful, charming, different, amazing. All good adjectives to describe Maya Tulum. Can't wait to return someday.

• Stayed: December 2008
2  Thank LisaCap62
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Avoid the restaurant, the food is really under average. The beach looks nice but it is full of alguae which rot and smell under the sun. You pay a bit too much for the service, no air-con,alot of mosuqito and the sheets are wet.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank coco2Geneva
Reviewed 17 November 2008

I just got back last week from staying at Maya Tulum. I purchased the 5 day MBS package. To give you an idea of where I like to travel, I normally stay at the 4 seasons or Ritz or Westin when I travel. I wanted to try something less cookie cutter and I have to say that Maya Tulum far exceeded my expectations.

Beach:
The beach was miles long and the water was turquoise. We had big waves almost everyday but I was told that this is not normal - but was due to a hurricane far away. There very little seaweed- tiny bits were on the rock near the penisula but zero on the beach. It was soft white sand. I am normally scared to swim in the ocean but you could see all the way to the sandy bottom with no problems. We had hot, sunny weather everyday and there was a nice breeze so it allowed me to relax without sweating under the sun. There are ZERO peddlers on the beach which was nice. I hate being harrassed on vacation.

Accommodation:
I stayed in 23B which was on the beach- literally! It was gorgeous! There was a small gecko in my room but I didn't mind. There were no bugs and the white bed was very comfortable and clean. All I could hear at night were the waves- so relaxing. The rooms are very romantic. I would suggest not staying in 23B though as you have to share a hut - there is a wall of course but it is not very private and you can hear the other couple. I didn't mind as I was there with a friend but if I was there with my husband, I would want more privacy. The washroom was gorgeous and my shower faced the ocean. The shampoo and conditioner that they leave you is heavenly and there were more than enough towels.

Grounds:
beautifully kept. There were mosquitos but that is to be expected at night. I wore bug spray and I only got 1 bite. I would highly suggest bringing long pants to wear at night.
It was surprising that there was so much security. Good- becasue I felt protected but bad because you wonder why so much security is needed.

Food:
I am SUPER picky and I have a nut and shellfish allergy. I had no problem staying here. I loved the Grouper and the salads and rice dishes were amazing. The pasta dishes weren't that great but everything else made up for it. YOu have to try the mexican salsa & chips as an appetizer. The food was so tasty. The nice thing about staying at a small place is that they don't recycle food from lunch to dinner. Every day we had different food which was freshly made. I always had seconds. Breakfast was my favourite- they would make me fresh waffles, pancakes and my fav. meal was the bagel with smoked salmon and poached egg. The fruit juices were delicious and the wines were inexpensive (200-300 pesos per bottle). Note: It is better to bring pesos to pay for the wine as they only give you 10 pesos for every USD which is highway robbery (same thing in town).

Excursions
I did the Sian Kaan Muyil tour. Mella was my guide and it was well worth the price (80USD). I was very aggravated though when a "professional photographer" was brought along. Benmar was a complete hack. I bought the 30USD CD and it was awful. He had an expensive Nikon camera and trust me, you feel bad if you don't purchase the CD. Mella was knowledgable. The tour through the wetlands was stunning and I would suggest bringing a change of clothing as you will get cold if you stay in your swimsuit after the swim. The ruins were beautiful and I was surprised that we were allowed to climb them. There was a 30 minute drive to and from the location and wine and cheese at the end of the day. It was stunning watching the sun set and then a full moon appeared above us.

Tulum ruins. I don't suggest doing this tour- do it on your own. You cannot climb the ruins (which is a good thing bc they should be preserved). We rented bikes for 80 pesos and then biked to the ruins (took about 20 minutes) and paid 38 pesos for entry. It was much cheaper this way (10 USD vs. 50 USD for the tour). Be sure to bring your swimsuit as there is swimming at the bottom of the cliff and it was my fav. part. There was a guy selling homemade popsicles outside the ruins. I had the pineapple one and it was so refreshing.

Yoga
I only did 3 sessions (even though I could have done up to 15 sessions). They were great but it was really hard to concentrate as there would be really loud trucks going by every 5 or 10 minutes. The yoga instructors were great though. There were all levels and the yoga rooms were stunning.

Value: I would suggest if you are a couple and doing 5 nights, just pay the room rate. The food is inexpensive (breakfast is 50-100 pesos) and lunch is about 150 pesos and dinner might be 100-200 pesos plus wine. Yoga is only 12USD per session and the tours you can pay on your own.

Spa
I had 2 treatments- Chandree was amazing and she did my Honey & sugar exfoliation with a shiatsu massage. She was great. I also had Emma for a swedish massage- she was also great and she got rid of my headache. I wish that I had done more spa treatments as they were amazing.

The service was great. We loved Mauro. All of the servers were attentive and while the service is at a relaxed pace, I never felt neglected. If I needed to be somewhere, i would tell them at the beginning and the service was much quicker, although I like the slower pace as I was trying to unwind.

There is absolutely no nightlife- which is what I loved about this place but if you are looking to party, this is not the place.

Shopping is just a quick taxi (40 pesos each way). My fav. shop was actually walking distance from the hotel and I bought a lot of great art and gifts. Be sure to pay in Pesos- they will rip you off in the exchange. Most places will not accept credit cards.

I think that Maya Tulum is great value for your dollar and I am definitely coming back next year!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends