“Worth every vacation day and penny spent”
Review of Azulik

Azulik
Ranked #19 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 18 March 2014

In a hunt for rustic yet exotic accommodation, we stumbled upon Azulik in Tulum. Some of the reviews online made us skeptic of this Eco-resort (insects, bugs, no electricity, dirty towels etc). Nevertheless, the absolutely stunning photos of the cottages and water attracted us. We booked 1 night of stay, keeping the second open for flexibility. On arrival, we realized the photos were real, not one bit post-processed! The cottages made of wood and dried leaves had glass walls toward the sea, which is just a stone's throw away from the patio. The open patio also had a bathtub (with hot running water), a 2-seater swing and a bed swing (only in room #12, which also came with direct access to the beach). The cottages although next to each other are very well secluded. Staff at the reception are friendly. The reception serves a refreshing iced tea through the day, and offers a spread of cookies, tea and fruits during morning hours. We enjoyed our stay there the first night so went on to extend (in #10, for lack of availability). This room was a little cold at night due to wind coming in from cracks. No bugs and no insects if you keep doors closed at all times (it is in the middle of a forest). The only wildlife we spotted was a harmless iguana enjoying the afternoon sun on the bathtub :). Clean linen, clean towels, fragranced toilet paper (talk about being exotic ha)! @Marcella: If we come back to Tulum, you have to keep #12 available for us!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Soumee R

Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed for four days at tulum, spending the two last nights at Azulik. I need to say that I don't remember more beautiful days than those ones in my whole life. The place is just awesome, you can feel and smell nature in every single centimeter in the cabana. It's completely made of wood, and very local details make you feel gladly free. As many others users says about this hotel, you can not expect a fancy place to stay. As an Eco resort, Azulik offers to you a rustic and actually wild experience instead of the clichés that you always have at the normal hotels. This is one of the best things and I will give some examples: that bath tube have a very slow water output and with no walls or curtains around it, there is no electricity at the cabana and most of the furniture is "home made" and not even a little bit fancy. However, you can be sure that you will enjoy the shower as you have never ever did before; salty water is just a magnificent experience. Even thought there's no electricity per se, you have one electricity output to plug in and charge one device, good enough to have you cell phone or camera ready to make some pictures. Additionally, they provide you candles for the night, which makes an INCREDIBLY ROMANTIC couple experience ;) Another thing that I consider important to highlight is the beach front terrace. It is equipped with a hanging bed and a bath tube that also provides a wonderful couple experience, and to lay down on that bed is a falling asleep guarantee; also need to say that this site at night is very, very romantic with the moonlight.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel M
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We just returned from our annual vacation at Azulik. Again we found the staff to be very accomodating and professional. This place is paradise. We exchanged Vows on the beach which was taken care of by the staff and it was an over the top experiance everything was amazing . The staff went out of their way to ensure the day would be one we never forgot. I highly reccomend Azulik to anyone looking for a relaxing spiritual retreat.

Mike & Nancy
North Vancouver B.C. Canada

Room Tip: Look to stay in the Beach Villa or Sea Villa. The new Mayan Villas are very noisey. You can hear eve...
1  Thank happytraveller427
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I just returned from a wonderful eight night stay at Azulik. This was my 14th stay at Azulik or it's more simple sister/neighbor: Cabanas Copal. Over the years I have stayed in several different Azulik villas but this year I wanted to check out the new beach side units. These newly constructed units are actually two four-unit buildings overlooking the beach and sea on the south end of the property. I had booked one of the new units for just two nights, planning on moving to Sea View #12 for the remainder of my stay. However, I loved #20, my upstairs unit in the new building, so much that I requested to stay there for the remainder of my visit. The rooms are about the same size as the traditional villas of Azulik. High ceilings. Light flows from approximately 270 degrees of windows. Very comfortable King size bed with mosquito netting, though I have never used the netting in the 14 years I've been coming here. The sea breeze keeps the skeeters back in the jungle where they belong. However, the net is there if you choose to use it. There is a water closet (toilet) located in a remote corner of the room and a beautiful, round tiled bathtub located in such a way as to allow you to soak while you look at onto the sea. There is a large deck with a hammock and chairs, enabling you to spend some quality time outside, catching the breeze and the wonderful close-up view of the beach and the sea.

My favorite thing to do during my annual trips to Azulik is, well, absolutely nothing and the new beach side villas allow you to do just that in style! I love sitting near the beach, reading my book, sipping a cold cerveza and doing some people watching. However, I do not like to sit for hours in the sand and the sun. The new beach villas at Azulik gave me the best of all worlds. I could sit up high and dry on my deck in the breeze and the shade, or, just a few steps away, is the sea and the beach and the sun.

The beach here is what I would call a 'pocket beach.' It is shared by a couple other small hotels and is kept very clean and well groomed. Workers are out on the beach very early every morning, raking it smooth and removing washed up seaweed and other debris washed up during the night. There are many beach chairs and lounges available as well as a few small shady palapas. ( I think it would be nice if they installed a few more palapas.) The beach is about 150 yards long and is locked in by the cliff top, sea view Azulik villas on one end and a rocky outcropping on the other. This greatly limits access to the beach by "outsiders," so gives it a nice quiet appeal. Those who want to take those long walks down the beach can merely take the steps down to the beach on the North side of Azulik, which gives you easy access to a nice mile long beach.

Azulik has taken great strides to overcome a few issues that have had become evident in recent years. They have greatly improved the general infrastructure, freshening up and remodeling villas, adding soft, non-intrusive secuirty lighting and electric outlets in each unit, to name a couple of things. Electricity, primarily for recharging electronics, is available from 7:30 each morning until 10:30 each night, except for a two hour break in mid afternoon. Wifi is available at reception during these same hours but I was able to get the wifi signal from the deck of my villa, also. They have also added several more parking spots and improved the pathways through the property.
The service provided by the employees was amazing. The staff was warm and friendly and tried hard to accommodate your needs. Especially great to work with were Paulo and Marco at reception. Libertad, the general manager, is intent on keeping Azulik as a top tier resort.
She assures me that even more improvements are on the way, including some shelving and possibly some bedside tables for the new Beachview units. And while I was there they installed water faucets at the bottom of each stairway to the new units so that you could wash sand from your feet before entering your rooms. A great touch already found in the older villas.
During the winter months, which included the first few days of my stay, an enhanced continental breakfast was served each morning. Beginning March 1 this has been reduced to tea and coffee service along with fresh fruit and some light breakfast snacks. Still a nice touch.
My request for a basic black tea, rather than the fruity, herbal teas then available was met with immediate results. Black Tea was on the table the very next morning - just one more example of the wonderful service provided.

In a nut shell, I travel for a living and spent 180 nights in hotels last year. I have specific expectations for hotels and Azulik delivers. I would not keep returning year after year if Azulik did not meet my needs.

When you come, I highly recommend the new beach villas. They are simply wonderful!

Contact me at kensterfly at yahoo dot com if you have specific questions. I'll be happy to help you!

Room Tip: Try the new beach units!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Kensterfly
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We DO NOT recommend this place. The walls of your room are glass and almost no coverage. Every person who walks past, or the rooms right next to yours, can see everything inside of your room. There is almost no privacy. The bathrooms use sticks as the door, so my husband and I could actually watch each other while he was on the toilet. We also paid for a beachfront room, but we could not even see the water from our room. The only thing we could see was into other people's rooms. We asked to change rooms because we saw many vacant spaces, but the management refused to accommodate what we paid for and was unhelpful. Maybe most importantly, the beach is totally icky!! We thought that it was just how Tulum's beach looked (seaweed everywhere, not blue water, rocky, etc.) because Azulik has its own very tiny piece of beach. You cannot move beyond this tiny space because it is blocked in by rocks (no beach walks here). We then went one day to another hotel further down the stretch and the beach was Beautiful! Turquoise water, swimmable and gorgeous! We couldn't believe it. There is also no comfortable seating on Azulik's miniature beach (no comfortable beach chairs like you see in the pictures). We are staying at OM when we go back, which was SO welcoming, beautiful, had privacy and an incredible beach to sit on. I have never written a negative review on this and I think eco-living is awesome!! But for the amount of money they are asking for, what you get and how they treat you, PLEASE seek other places down the beach! You could even camp out in a tent next to Azulik for a more luxurious stay!!

7  Thank brooklyntobe
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I recently visited Tulum with my husband and stayed at Azulik in the new rooms they just built in December. The rooms are beautiful, all wood, great bed, cute bathtub and amazing views of the ocean from your balcony. The staff at the front desk and all around the hotel was great, I have no complaints. The only down side to the new rooms are the small bathtubs lacking a shower head. It was great for both of us, but for some it may result a bit difficult to shower quickly. We stayed in room #20 which had a great balcony overlooking the ocean with chairs and a hammock. This room is great for sunrise pictures. The hotel provides you with enough candles at night to make it a very romantic and intimate experience. Overall I recommend Azulik, although there are plenty of other hotels offering the same intimacy and ambiance that Azulik offers for the same price or much less.

Room Tip: Room 20 and 21 have the best ocean views.
1  Thank 144anaym
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Pros:
Big cabanas
King bed
Great view of nature and the sea
Breakfast included
Hot water
Electricity outlet for charging phone
Wifi
Terrace

Cons
No shade at beach, buy umbrella in the shop besides Don Cafeto
No good shampoo or bath products
Ants in room kill you, cleaning did not suffice to remove them
Uncomfortable seating in room and balcony, so no place to read.
Hammock is single so no cuddling
no fridge ( only ice bucket in lobby)
for 300 usd per room more attention to detail needs to happen, at the end it's just a cabana and people need ice, cooling down, basic snacks.
Spa did not appeal to us and expensive for Mexico.
No restaurant in hotel, we spent most our time at Las Ranitas hotel where you get pampered, have a beach club and no tourists
Loud music in Saturdays coming from hotel nearby until 4 am
Candelight could be romantic bit can be offsetting to. No reading at sunset (530pm)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple