“Amazing ocean view but falls short of expectations.”
Review of Azulik

Azulik
Ranked #20 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing ocean view but falls short of expectations.”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I will never stay there again although I enjoyed the amazing ocean view throughfully for the amount of money you pay, I could definitely expected more.
first able the bed sheets were so uninviting, it felt nasty like they don’t wash them often, the bathroom was broken, the lobby in the reception was so dark and sad, when I go in vacation I want to enjoy the hotel I am staying in but in Azulik there is nothing else to enjoy beside the balcony, the corridor is dark , the sitting area is super small and there is nothing to there but to stare at the receptionist that are NOT very friendly, plus since the cabanas are not seal animals can get in it easily.

So, I am giving 2 stars for views, stunning sunrise and sunsets and the bathtub in the balcony. I strongly believe you can get a better experience in any other hotel for the money you pay.

I hope this helps.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Hebrew first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

if you want a secluded spot surrounded by nature with an experience of sleeping in the jungle with the ocean right below you THIS IS THE PERFECT PLACE. Now do keep in mind that if you live in an urban area of a developed country the extremely loud noise of waves, wind and animals at night can actually be more disturbing than you may have expected. But that is not the reason for our low rating - the reason is the disappointment with the customer service there. If you pay 150 USD or more for a night no matter how extraordinary a place may be the service has to be right. And that is unfortunately not what we experienced. From the beginning receptionists were not very friendly and forthcoming. The second night we had RATS in the cabana - something they were first trying to deny and later an putting the blame on us for bringing a closed juice container into the cabana. Pictures of the rat poo which was all over the next day can be viewed attached. Would have expected kinder treatment after this horrifying experience especially for my girlfriend.

Room Tip: Pick a cabana facing the ocean but inquire about house rules and advise to avoid an experience as we...
6 Thank JakeRU
lulalegui, Public Relations Manager at Azulik, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Jake,

First of all we want to say thank you for your review, and of course for staying with us.
We are sorry to read that you had some important issues during your stay.

For some reason that you might now understand, it is extremely important for us that our guests read all the FAQ questions listed on our site, there we make our point regarding animals politics - http://azulik.com/faq.html#faq6.
We embrace nature, and this may take us to deal with some stuff like animals visiting the villas and Azulik’s areas.

We will use this opportunity to once again tell our future guest that “If you feel any little aversion to animals such as iguanas or lizards, mosquitoes, crabs, raccoons, tlacuaches (local small mouse), etc ..., this place is absolutely not for you.

Taking in consideration your pictures uploaded on the review, its important to remember that in the Yucatan jungle are it is not recommended, in any kind of hotel, to leave food on your villa. This is attractive enough to let our little “visitors” to come inside.

Once again, thank you for keep teaching us how to improve, and which the most necessary changes we have to work on,

Best regards,
Luciana Leguizamon
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

First off, Azulik does occupy an amazing stretch of Tulum beach front, with many of the cabanas perched on a rocky ledge above the ocean. We stayed in an ocean side cabin for 3 nights and the location could not be beat, stunning views and a great experience with the roar of the ocean. We kept the door the the ocean open all day and night for a great breeze and had not insect problems.. However, beyond that the Azulik experience was very frustrating. The buildings and upkeep are shoddy, twice we had to deal with maintenance- once for the room safe that doesn't work and second for a leaking broken toilet. The sheets were of poor quality, pilled and over used. The furniture in the room was uncomfortable and missing cushions. The lack of shower was annoying. The furniture on the beach was of the lowest quality, wooden, hand made, falling apart and without cushions (for an enjoyable beach experience we went to other hotel beaches). Azulik offers few of the amenities that you would expect, ie: no breakfast, no ice, no restaurant recommendations, no phone landline for emergency or to call a taxi for an early plane departure (as was our case). The eco claims seemed to be more an excuse for not providing services than a whole hearted motive. I hope Azulik can turn there operation around and invest more in the hotel,and improve the experience of staying there, however at this time I would recommend looking around for other options.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here (buyer beware) stay in an ocean side room.
3 Thank AaronDubrow
lulalegui, Public Relations Manager at Azulik, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Aaron,

We are sorry to read that you had some important issues during your stay.

It is a fact that at Azulik we do not clean sheets daily, not if our guests don’t request it, or leave them on the floor like any other eco place in the area.
Regarding the broken things on your villa, we are sorry and concerned about it because we inmediately send our maintenance staff insite for any issue reported by our visitors.

Dark lobby? Our front desk, lobby site, is just the way our guests wanted to be; private, rustic, and with that mystical candle way of lighting. We are not sure why you find it “sad” this is not a luxury hotel and we try to make it clear in our FAQ section of azulik.com

Reading your complaint about the balcony been the only special place of the hotel, we can humbly conclude that you misunderstood Azulik from the very beginning. Azulik’s terrance ocean view has been highly imitated by other properties, and is well known and appreciated by our frequently guests.
It is true that our sitting area is quite small, but thats because we embrace nature, and we prefer to keep local vegetation as it is, wild and spectacular.

When we designed Azulik we did not intend to make common rooms, we just create a cabana rustic concept, with no other “amenity” than nature.

Once again, we are deeply sorry that you did not know well enough our vision and concept before visiting is, we would work harder on making all our guests know where are they coming to for the very first moment they contact us,
Once again, thank you for keep teaching us how to improve,

Best regards,
Luciana Leguizamon
Reviewed 18 March 2014

In a hunt for rustic yet exotic accommodation, we stumbled upon Azulik in Tulum. Some of the reviews online made us skeptic of this Eco-resort (insects, bugs, no electricity, dirty towels etc). Nevertheless, the absolutely stunning photos of the cottages and water attracted us. We booked 1 night of stay, keeping the second open for flexibility. On arrival, we realized the photos were real, not one bit post-processed! The cottages made of wood and dried leaves had glass walls toward the sea, which is just a stone's throw away from the patio. The open patio also had a bathtub (with hot running water), a 2-seater swing and a bed swing (only in room #12, which also came with direct access to the beach). The cottages although next to each other are very well secluded. Staff at the reception are friendly. The reception serves a refreshing iced tea through the day, and offers a spread of cookies, tea and fruits during morning hours. We enjoyed our stay there the first night so went on to extend (in #10, for lack of availability). This room was a little cold at night due to wind coming in from cracks. No bugs and no insects if you keep doors closed at all times (it is in the middle of a forest). The only wildlife we spotted was a harmless iguana enjoying the afternoon sun on the bathtub :). Clean linen, clean towels, fragranced toilet paper (talk about being exotic ha)! @Marcella: If we come back to Tulum, you have to keep #12 available for us!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Soumee R
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed for four days at tulum, spending the two last nights at Azulik. I need to say that I don't remember more beautiful days than those ones in my whole life. The place is just awesome, you can feel and smell nature in every single centimeter in the cabana. It's completely made of wood, and very local details make you feel gladly free. As many others users says about this hotel, you can not expect a fancy place to stay. As an Eco resort, Azulik offers to you a rustic and actually wild experience instead of the clichés that you always have at the normal hotels. This is one of the best things and I will give some examples: that bath tube have a very slow water output and with no walls or curtains around it, there is no electricity at the cabana and most of the furniture is "home made" and not even a little bit fancy. However, you can be sure that you will enjoy the shower as you have never ever did before; salty water is just a magnificent experience. Even thought there's no electricity per se, you have one electricity output to plug in and charge one device, good enough to have you cell phone or camera ready to make some pictures. Additionally, they provide you candles for the night, which makes an INCREDIBLY ROMANTIC couple experience ;) Another thing that I consider important to highlight is the beach front terrace. It is equipped with a hanging bed and a bath tube that also provides a wonderful couple experience, and to lay down on that bed is a falling asleep guarantee; also need to say that this site at night is very, very romantic with the moonlight.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel M
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We just returned from our annual vacation at Azulik. Again we found the staff to be very accomodating and professional. This place is paradise. We exchanged Vows on the beach which was taken care of by the staff and it was an over the top experiance everything was amazing . The staff went out of their way to ensure the day would be one we never forgot. I highly reccomend Azulik to anyone looking for a relaxing spiritual retreat.

Mike & Nancy
North Vancouver B.C. Canada

Room Tip: Look to stay in the Beach Villa or Sea Villa. The new Mayan Villas are very noisey. You can hear eve...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank happytraveller427
Houston
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I just returned from a wonderful eight night stay at Azulik. This was my 14th stay at Azulik or it's more simple sister/neighbor: Cabanas Copal. Over the years I have stayed in several different Azulik villas but this year I wanted to check out the new beach side units. These newly constructed units are actually two four-unit buildings overlooking the beach and sea on the south end of the property. I had booked one of the new units for just two nights, planning on moving to Sea View #12 for the remainder of my stay. However, I loved #20, my upstairs unit in the new building, so much that I requested to stay there for the remainder of my visit. The rooms are about the same size as the traditional villas of Azulik. High ceilings. Light flows from approximately 270 degrees of windows. Very comfortable King size bed with mosquito netting, though I have never used the netting in the 14 years I've been coming here. The sea breeze keeps the skeeters back in the jungle where they belong. However, the net is there if you choose to use it. There is a water closet (toilet) located in a remote corner of the room and a beautiful, round tiled bathtub located in such a way as to allow you to soak while you look at onto the sea. There is a large deck with a hammock and chairs, enabling you to spend some quality time outside, catching the breeze and the wonderful close-up view of the beach and the sea.

My favorite thing to do during my annual trips to Azulik is, well, absolutely nothing and the new beach side villas allow you to do just that in style! I love sitting near the beach, reading my book, sipping a cold cerveza and doing some people watching. However, I do not like to sit for hours in the sand and the sun. The new beach villas at Azulik gave me the best of all worlds. I could sit up high and dry on my deck in the breeze and the shade, or, just a few steps away, is the sea and the beach and the sun.

The beach here is what I would call a 'pocket beach.' It is shared by a couple other small hotels and is kept very clean and well groomed. Workers are out on the beach very early every morning, raking it smooth and removing washed up seaweed and other debris washed up during the night. There are many beach chairs and lounges available as well as a few small shady palapas. ( I think it would be nice if they installed a few more palapas.) The beach is about 150 yards long and is locked in by the cliff top, sea view Azulik villas on one end and a rocky outcropping on the other. This greatly limits access to the beach by "outsiders," so gives it a nice quiet appeal. Those who want to take those long walks down the beach can merely take the steps down to the beach on the North side of Azulik, which gives you easy access to a nice mile long beach.

Azulik has taken great strides to overcome a few issues that have had become evident in recent years. They have greatly improved the general infrastructure, freshening up and remodeling villas, adding soft, non-intrusive secuirty lighting and electric outlets in each unit, to name a couple of things. Electricity, primarily for recharging electronics, is available from 7:30 each morning until 10:30 each night, except for a two hour break in mid afternoon. Wifi is available at reception during these same hours but I was able to get the wifi signal from the deck of my villa, also. They have also added several more parking spots and improved the pathways through the property.
The service provided by the employees was amazing. The staff was warm and friendly and tried hard to accommodate your needs. Especially great to work with were Paulo and Marco at reception. Libertad, the general manager, is intent on keeping Azulik as a top tier resort.
She assures me that even more improvements are on the way, including some shelving and possibly some bedside tables for the new Beachview units. And while I was there they installed water faucets at the bottom of each stairway to the new units so that you could wash sand from your feet before entering your rooms. A great touch already found in the older villas.
During the winter months, which included the first few days of my stay, an enhanced continental breakfast was served each morning. Beginning March 1 this has been reduced to tea and coffee service along with fresh fruit and some light breakfast snacks. Still a nice touch.
My request for a basic black tea, rather than the fruity, herbal teas then available was met with immediate results. Black Tea was on the table the very next morning - just one more example of the wonderful service provided.

In a nut shell, I travel for a living and spent 180 nights in hotels last year. I have specific expectations for hotels and Azulik delivers. I would not keep returning year after year if Azulik did not meet my needs.

When you come, I highly recommend the new beach villas. They are simply wonderful!

Contact me at kensterfly at yahoo dot com if you have specific questions. I'll be happy to help you!

Room Tip: Try the new beach units!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo