“The perfect seaside escape”
Review of Azulik

Azulik
Ranked #20 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
San Francisco
“The perfect seaside escape”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Where to even begin? My boyfriend and I spent one week in early April 2014 at Azulik. The goal for our trip was to escape the hustle and bustle of our city-life in San Francisco, find a beautiful beach, soak up the sun, go on a few adventures, and have an all around relaxing time. Azulik was the PERFECT home base for our adventure! It is relatively small, which makes you feel like you are one of a lucky few to spend time on the beautiful cliff. The beach next to the rooms was never crowded, the sand was gorgeous, and the water and waves were great. On windier days there was even enough surf to do some bodysurfing, but it was also calm enough to float around as well. The room itself was incredible! We stayed in room 10 which had a queen (or king, not sure) sized bed with canopy, a hanging bed inside, a table and two chairs, a beautiful mosaic bathtub, sink, bathroom, and closet with a sturdy safe and one electrical plug to charge a phone or camera. Outside on our deck we had another bathtub, a swing, two chairs, and the most incredible view! I would like to point out that the room is more rustic luxury than the luxury you may find at, say, a four seasons resort. No, the sheets aren't Egyptian cotton, but considering the setting I didn't mind. This is an eco-resort, so aside from there being no electric lighting in the room (they provide a flashlight and candles so it was no hassle at all), they also do not have fully fresh water in the rooms, meaning the water is brackish (partially salt water), but much less salty than the sea. From the state of my skin and hair upon check-out, I'd say my body really enjoyed the week of swimming in the sea and bathing in the tubs in our room so I had no problem with it. Location-wise, I think Azulik is also very well situated as the second resort in a LOOOONGGGG line along the "zona hotelera" that spans all the way to the biopreserve. We drove down the road all the way to the end of the line and it took a good 15 minutes between the topes and traffic. We also took a cab once, part way down to La Zebra, which cost us 80 pesos. I can imagine that if you stayed at the far end of the road you'd either rack up a hefty taxi bill or spend at least 30 minutes a day navigating up and down the road in your car. So, Azulik's location nearer to town was seen by us as a huge plus. Also good to know, they do have occasional wifi in the lobby, as well as electric lighting. They also provide you with two water bottles in your room upon arrival, and a place to refill your water bottles (no charge) with purified water. It is also important to note the AMAZING staff we encountered. There were many staff around to make sure our stay was as comfortable as possible, however we had the most contact with the two front desk people who we got to know over our week there. They were always available to suggest good restaurants, help with driving directions, book tours in the preserve, and even order us takeout! The hotel does not have a restaurant but the staff are more than willing to show you an array of delivery menus, call in the order, and deliver it to your room. All at non-room service prices (a huge plus!). Overall, our trip was the ideal escape. I appreciated the rustic setting, the simple yet beautiful room decor, and I especially enjoyed the sound of the Caribbean Sea lapping at our back patio as I feel asleep each night, as well as bathing in our outdoor tub on the cliff. We felt like the luckiest and happiest tourists in the whole town :) And with the addition of the wonderful staff, we also felt like we were home. Some day, sooner or later, we WILL be back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hwein11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Hebrew first
Bristol, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My experience with Azulik was FANTASTIC! Everything from the friendly, welcoming staff to the absolutely incredible cabana was more than I had hoped for. I was captivated by the simplistic beauty of the resort. Our cabana sat atop a small rocky cliff with a prime view of the ocean. Talk about beauty! I have traveled around quite a bit, but never have I seen so many absolutely stunning sunrises and sunsets. I'm not going to lie. At first, I was a little skeptical about the lack of electricity and wifi, but, after a week, I realized that unplugging from the rest of the world is refreshing. If you do need wifi or electricity for anything, however, it is available in the main office. Part of the beauty of Azulik lies in the underdevelopment of Tulum. No skyscraping resorts crowding the beach. No obnoxious billboards. There are plenty of restaurants and activities to choose from, though. One of Azulik's services that I highly recommend if you need some time for yourself is their spa. WOW! Best massage I've ever had at the top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. Ultimate RELAXATION. I have recommended Azulik to everyone! I would definitely go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisa F
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I’m having a hard time writing this review since we did enjoy our time in Azulik, but I guess the ultimate test is if we would come back and the answer is that we wouldn’t – but we do recommend it, I know this is confusing, so pls read on. In short they bank on their location (which for some of their cabañas is the best in Tulum) but it is really their only positive attribute.

My wife and I went to Tulum for 10 days and stayed 2 nights in Azulik and the other nights in another hotel. I guess that if we wouldn't had stayed in a different place our opinion of Azulik would probably have been more positive.

We went on our honeymoon. I was reluctant to book Azulik because of the reviews about stained sheets and towels and lack of service (considering the price). But the pictures looked awesome! Almost magical!. So I went ahead and booked through booking.com and emailed Azulik since I wanted to specify the room. I told them it was our honeymoon and to my surprise they booked us right away into the “honeymoon suite”. I was very happy and planned to surprise my wife.

We got there and were pleasantly greeted and showed to our room. The place is beautiful. Right on the beach, sand trail from reception to cabañas then boardwalk to the door, and surrounded by jungle. Our first impression was great.

We were shown to cabaña 12 which is on first line, right on top of the rocks and our jaws dropped at the simplicity and beauty of the place. And they have no wifi or electricity at all in cabañas – which was a plus for us. Has a hanging bed on the terrace that you feel right above the water, together with an outdoor bathtub. Incredibly romantic. Better than a dream.

But then we were brought down to reality:
- Sheets are stained. And not “lightly”, as in 2 or 3 stains, but heavily.
- Towels are stained. As bad as the sheets (but clean, judging by smell)
- Hot water runs out fast, not enough to fill tub.
- Not enough pressure to have a shower (a bath is not enough to get rid of all the salt from swimming in the ocean)
- No possibility of having breakfast (they serve coffee/tea with cookies), so you have to go offsite
- When we complained about sheets/towels/hot water, we were simply told that that’s how it is in Tulum and we should have been prepared, that it is impossible to keep sheets without stains due to bugs, heat water with electric heater which is hooked up to generator (no public electricity in Tulum) etc. etc.

Cabaña 12 is USD 350/night in high season, so I expected a bit more comprehension. Got none. Also, there were details, like the little bath/soap bottles provided were so worn out that we couldn't tell the shampoo from conditioner, soap, etc. They keep refilling them but don't renew them, or at least the labels.

Anyway, we then spent 6 nights in La Nueva Vida de Ramiro, cabaña 14, also pretty rustic (has palm tree in middle of shower), in the middle of jungle, etc. But no stains in sheets nor towels, tonnes of hot water, and the service is excellent – and incredible compared to Azulik.

We think Azulik is a good experience but you HAVE to consider/expect:
- Stained sheets
- Stained towels
- Subpar service
- Plan well baths/showers
- No food available
- Stay in front line cabañas. Second line have no view.

We think if you go with the right expectation, then Azulik will be more enjoyable, but wouldn't recommend more than 2 nights. Try to stay in another hotel as well, as there are others that are worth it – like Nueva Vida de Ramiro.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Stay in front line as second line cabañas have very limited view or no view at all.
9 Thank Spydr_79
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I will never stay there again although I enjoyed the amazing ocean view throughfully for the amount of money you pay, I could definitely expected more.
first able the bed sheets were so uninviting, it felt nasty like they don’t wash them often, the bathroom was broken, the lobby in the reception was so dark and sad, when I go in vacation I want to enjoy the hotel I am staying in but in Azulik there is nothing else to enjoy beside the balcony, the corridor is dark , the sitting area is super small and there is nothing to there but to stare at the receptionist that are NOT very friendly, plus since the cabanas are not seal animals can get in it easily.

So, I am giving 2 stars for views, stunning sunrise and sunsets and the bathtub in the balcony. I strongly believe you can get a better experience in any other hotel for the money you pay.

I hope this helps.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

if you want a secluded spot surrounded by nature with an experience of sleeping in the jungle with the ocean right below you THIS IS THE PERFECT PLACE. Now do keep in mind that if you live in an urban area of a developed country the extremely loud noise of waves, wind and animals at night can actually be more disturbing than you may have expected. But that is not the reason for our low rating - the reason is the disappointment with the customer service there. If you pay 150 USD or more for a night no matter how extraordinary a place may be the service has to be right. And that is unfortunately not what we experienced. From the beginning receptionists were not very friendly and forthcoming. The second night we had RATS in the cabana - something they were first trying to deny and later an putting the blame on us for bringing a closed juice container into the cabana. Pictures of the rat poo which was all over the next day can be viewed attached. Would have expected kinder treatment after this horrifying experience especially for my girlfriend.

Room Tip: Pick a cabana facing the ocean but inquire about house rules and advise to avoid an experience as we...
6 Thank JakeRU
lulalegui, Public Relations Manager at Azulik, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Jake,

First of all we want to say thank you for your review, and of course for staying with us.
We are sorry to read that you had some important issues during your stay.

For some reason that you might now understand, it is extremely important for us that our guests read all the FAQ questions listed on our site, there we make our point regarding animals politics - http://azulik.com/faq.html#faq6.
We embrace nature, and this may take us to deal with some stuff like animals visiting the villas and Azulik’s areas.

We will use this opportunity to once again tell our future guest that “If you feel any little aversion to animals such as iguanas or lizards, mosquitoes, crabs, raccoons, tlacuaches (local small mouse), etc ..., this place is absolutely not for you.

Taking in consideration your pictures uploaded on the review, its important to remember that in the Yucatan jungle are it is not recommended, in any kind of hotel, to leave food on your villa. This is attractive enough to let our little “visitors” to come inside.

Once again, thank you for keep teaching us how to improve, and which the most necessary changes we have to work on,

Best regards,
Luciana Leguizamon
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2014

First off, Azulik does occupy an amazing stretch of Tulum beach front, with many of the cabanas perched on a rocky ledge above the ocean. We stayed in an ocean side cabin for 3 nights and the location could not be beat, stunning views and a great experience with the roar of the ocean. We kept the door the the ocean open all day and night for a great breeze and had not insect problems.. However, beyond that the Azulik experience was very frustrating. The buildings and upkeep are shoddy, twice we had to deal with maintenance- once for the room safe that doesn't work and second for a leaking broken toilet. The sheets were of poor quality, pilled and over used. The furniture in the room was uncomfortable and missing cushions. The lack of shower was annoying. The furniture on the beach was of the lowest quality, wooden, hand made, falling apart and without cushions (for an enjoyable beach experience we went to other hotel beaches). Azulik offers few of the amenities that you would expect, ie: no breakfast, no ice, no restaurant recommendations, no phone landline for emergency or to call a taxi for an early plane departure (as was our case). The eco claims seemed to be more an excuse for not providing services than a whole hearted motive. I hope Azulik can turn there operation around and invest more in the hotel,and improve the experience of staying there, however at this time I would recommend looking around for other options.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here (buyer beware) stay in an ocean side room.
3 Thank AaronDubrow
lulalegui, Public Relations Manager at Azulik, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Aaron,

We are sorry to read that you had some important issues during your stay.

It is a fact that at Azulik we do not clean sheets daily, not if our guests don’t request it, or leave them on the floor like any other eco place in the area.
Regarding the broken things on your villa, we are sorry and concerned about it because we inmediately send our maintenance staff insite for any issue reported by our visitors.

Dark lobby? Our front desk, lobby site, is just the way our guests wanted to be; private, rustic, and with that mystical candle way of lighting. We are not sure why you find it “sad” this is not a luxury hotel and we try to make it clear in our FAQ section of azulik.com

Reading your complaint about the balcony been the only special place of the hotel, we can humbly conclude that you misunderstood Azulik from the very beginning. Azulik’s terrance ocean view has been highly imitated by other properties, and is well known and appreciated by our frequently guests.
It is true that our sitting area is quite small, but thats because we embrace nature, and we prefer to keep local vegetation as it is, wild and spectacular.

When we designed Azulik we did not intend to make common rooms, we just create a cabana rustic concept, with no other “amenity” than nature.

Once again, we are deeply sorry that you did not know well enough our vision and concept before visiting is, we would work harder on making all our guests know where are they coming to for the very first moment they contact us,
Once again, thank you for keep teaching us how to improve,

Best regards,
Luciana Leguizamon
Reviewed 18 March 2014

In a hunt for rustic yet exotic accommodation, we stumbled upon Azulik in Tulum. Some of the reviews online made us skeptic of this Eco-resort (insects, bugs, no electricity, dirty towels etc). Nevertheless, the absolutely stunning photos of the cottages and water attracted us. We booked 1 night of stay, keeping the second open for flexibility. On arrival, we realized the photos were real, not one bit post-processed! The cottages made of wood and dried leaves had glass walls toward the sea, which is just a stone's throw away from the patio. The open patio also had a bathtub (with hot running water), a 2-seater swing and a bed swing (only in room #12, which also came with direct access to the beach). The cottages although next to each other are very well secluded. Staff at the reception are friendly. The reception serves a refreshing iced tea through the day, and offers a spread of cookies, tea and fruits during morning hours. We enjoyed our stay there the first night so went on to extend (in #10, for lack of availability). This room was a little cold at night due to wind coming in from cracks. No bugs and no insects if you keep doors closed at all times (it is in the middle of a forest). The only wildlife we spotted was a harmless iguana enjoying the afternoon sun on the bathtub :). Clean linen, clean towels, fragranced toilet paper (talk about being exotic ha)! @Marcella: If we come back to Tulum, you have to keep #12 available for us!

• Stayed March 2014