Cabanas Zazilkin
US$234
US$1,125
US$791
Agoda.com
All reviewszazil kinbeautiful beachfree beach chairsbring flip flopsdive shop on siteshared bathtulum townbeach barfantastic locationown bathroomhot watertaxi ridelow keypalm treesbug spraywhite sandbeach road
Reviewed 22 February 2013

First and foremost - Im a backpacker and I love the simple living this Cabanas provided myself and my family with. If you're after luxury, this ISNT the place. Certainly not in the rustic Cabanas we had. The room is basic, two double beds with a mosquito net and a fan if youre lucky. The beds are comfortable, and the cabanas were safe and secure. We had cabanas 'DF' they seem to be named after areas of Mexico, though Im not particularly sure where DF is?

WHAT A SETTING though!! The cabanas are set in a spacious, immaculate and beautfiul setting, in the sand, just over the top of a dune. The site, bar and restaurant have a beautiful white sand underfoot and simple living and no shoes are required at all. I loved it so much and so did my children (ages 6 & 3). Breakfast was included (coffe and toast) and served by very friendly staff with a plentiful restaurant available at a reasonable price. the hot cakes were a particular favourite with my children.

The location. We had a car, which if you were wondering if you should or shouldnt hire one, then I would suggest you do. Tulum is split into two areas really (perhaps three) and theres the busy town area, and the beach area. In order to keep your costs down then food in town is much cheaper, and there is also a huge supermarket. We went to the supermarket for lunch and dinner and ate out at night. The car gave us this flexibility. This also kept our costs well under control. The supermarket is very reasonable and has a fantastic array of lunches and cakes!! If you dont hire a car then there are loads of taxis available on site. If you were thinking of walking the road, then I dont think its an option. Its certainly not a safe option. Im as fit as a fiddle, but would not walk from Zazilkin to Tulum town. Fast cars, a pitch black road and a generally long boring walk would put me off.

We moved on from Zazilkin to Holbox, and after we had finished at Holbox we really wanted to go back to Tulum and if we were to go there again, then I wouldnt hesitate to book at Zazilkin. I would suggest pre booking though. You know where you are then.

Noise. Ive seen a few comments on noise. I didnt find it at all noisy. The bar closed, or certainly turned the music down at 11pm. There were a couple of noisy nights which was down to guests but this is unlucky more than an actual problem. All in all a fantastic holiday and a great stay at Zazilkin.

WE LOOOOOOOOVED IT!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MrSerious
Ricardo S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Cabanas Zazilkin, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

We are so glad to hear you had a good time staying with us. We thank you for your kind words and good review. We hope you come back soon!

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I want to share my precise experience with you, from 2/13/13 to 2/15/13.

After the first night's rough sleep in our cabana, I developed a nasty cough. We examined the cabana and found mildew and mold on our insect net over the bed. There were other mildewy areas in the cabana that were found on closer inspection. Our cabana was 650 pesos per night, around $50 US, which isn't cheap, even for Tulum.

Additionally, on our last day, we went to the beach around 11:00 am for a few hours, and came back to the cabana to find a big red padlock on our door. Apparently we had mistakenly missed check out by 2 hours. So, what was the response from the front desk? We owed them another night or they wouldn't remove the red padlock! No exceptions! All the while the front desk employee was calling us "loco" under his breath and snickering at us.

I have dealt with being late on check out before in hotels all around the globe, but never extorted like this. Then, the front desk employee left the area and assumed we would just buckle down and pay him 650 pesos for another night. When he returned 30 minutes later, he was surprised we were still there, since this extortion strategy must work consistently for them. After lengthy, ridiculous negotiations with the staff, they finally agreed to charge us 50 pesos per hour past check out time in order to remove the red padlock. I assume the 50 pesos per hour charge went directly into the pocket of the front desk employee.

I have traveled all around the globe and never been extorted like this. These people are gringo haters and extortionists. The whole scheme seemed like a small-town shakedown that they routinely pull on their guests. There are many other gracious, friendly cabanas in Tulum that will treat you with dignity and respect, and will make you want to refer your friends and family for a visit. Zazil-Kin was most certainly the opposite, and additionally was an unforgettable, regrettable experience. Stay away!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris A

First of all let us extend a sincere apology. We thank you for your input , we will be looking into what you kindly pointed. Your reviews help us to grow and better ourselves. We hope you visit us again ,and we´ll make sure to give you the good time and rest that you deserve.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

The thatched-roof cabana was simple, but almost perfect. Very good value at 500 pesos night during the high season. The bed was comfortable and with the netting there was no problem with bugs. The bathrooms and showers were accessible and usually clean. The entire property is sand, and you can walk everywhere barefoot in your beach clothes, including the restaurant. Really enjoyed the bar in evenings but was not impressed with the restaurant, and there aren't really other options to eat without going into town. Just a minute walk to the incredibly beautiful beach, and about 15 minutes walk to the ruins.

Room Tip: When making the reservation, you can ask by email for a map of all cabins and choose the location you prefer.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WiscDane

Reviewed 5 February 2013

This is the cheapest hotel we found in beach area and though basic it is was clean, friendly and a really good fun place to be. The canteen and bar are great value and the beach is world class. Dont come here if you are looking for a 5 star cabana experience - there is plenty of that neaby at 10 times the price.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I pay'd a haundred dollar for a night
Wane I left I wanted to pot my stuff for safe for 3hours thay tald me that I need to pay more
Money the staff was vary unfriendly and thay have different price for every tourist that came even if the room is the same

Room Tip: I don't have a help fall tip
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aviel N

We are sorry to hear about your experience.