“We fell in love with Ahau - what a dream come true.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ahau Tulum

Ahau Tulum
Ranked #10 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Guildford, United Kingdom
“We fell in love with Ahau - what a dream come true.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed 8 nights in a beach level master suite. What an amazing room - huge 4 poster bed, enormous deck with a day bed / dining table for 8 / lounge chairs / hammock, a wonderful bathroom setup, and our own exclusive beach bed.
The whole place is wonderfully set up, and smack back in the middle of the Tulum beach scene - it's perfectly located to for the restaurants and shopping.
We loved the perfect beach (raked and sifted early each morning), the raw food bar, the great coffees, the cool bicycles, the great WiFi, the perfect smiling service, and just the downright cool feel of the place.
A special thanks to Marco and Martin - you guys were great.
As always, we have a few suggestions that would make the place even more perfect. A beach-side shower (so you don't have to go back to your room after a swim), early morning self serve tea and coffee, the air conditioners could do with a service, and check the iPod/iPhone docks in the rooms (being so close to the beach is hastening their demise).
We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Room 3 is the beachfront suite with the best view of the beach and ocean. But the beachfront rooms...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the excellent review recently posted about Ahau, this is very important for us and all our future guests because they will be able to have better look of where are they going to spend their vacations. We are glad that you enjoyed
your Master Suite and the hotel´s beach cleanliness and condition. Moreover, we want to thank you for the nice opinion you have about Marco and Martin and our staff service and facilities. We are very sorry about not having the early morning coffee for you and we apologize for this as we do offer this service but there was a problem with the machine during this period. For sure we are going to service then air conditioners and we are working on replacing all the iPod docks in the suites. Once again, thank you for such a great review and for sure we will be waiting for you in your next visit to Tulum and Ahau!

Arturo Soto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

After some very stressful times I decided to take a vacation to relax and recharge energies... Maybe think about the meaning of life, the universe and everything 8-) One of my buddies suggested this place since he liked it so much. Man he was right... this is a wonderful, beautiful and magical place, it did me sooooo much good. The owners and staff are top notch on service, you can not get better ocean than this, my room was beyond expectations and the overall experience was... Amazing. I'm definitely going back, everything was perfect!!! Thank you Ahau!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the comments recently posted about Ahau, this is very important for us because all our future guests will be able to have a glimpse of where are they going to stay. We appreciate all the nice comments about our staff and service and we hope to see you back here in Tulum and Ahau soon!!

Tulum, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I often stay at Ahau, its a little cozy bubble in Tulum. The layout and quality of the rooms are perfect. All the wood is perficly polished , the showers are amazing and all bedrooms are nice. Even the cheaper ones. They have a nice area to read books, a restaurant , a yoga studio. Everytime i go i spend alot of time there, enjoying the view. Its like a little family the whole staff is so welcoming. Dogs are runing around... You can rent bikes, book massages, they have a water tower with a platform where you can see the sunset. It is magical. I had the luck to meet the beautiful wedding planner called Nisia. She has such a great personality, and knows exacly how to take care of her clients. She made me laugh alot and i would highly recommend this place for weddings or just for a nice breakfast

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Mandyfer
CancunArturo, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hello,

We want to thank you for the nice review posted recently about Ahau Tulum. We are very happy to hear that you enjoy our rooms, restaurant, yoga and all the facilities every time you visit us. All this reviews are very helpful for future guests because they can have an idea of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We hope to see to see you soon back in Ahau as always and thank you for the nice comments about Nisia our wedding planner hoping that she helped you with your event!

Warm regards,

Chibougamau, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We stayed at tha Ahau (pronounced A-how) for two nights April 14, 15. And we LOVED it. The main area was relaxing and comfortable. The beach was pristine and the service was great. Everybody was so nice and welcoming! We stayed in the Master suite beach level room and it was gorgeous. It was crisp, clean and totally different from everything we have previously experienced (hotel wise). Our room looked right out to the beach but had enough shade and that cool ocean breeze was soo nice. it was our first time in mexico and i'm glad we came here to this small private hotel away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities and resorts. We recommend it to everyone. The only criticism I could possibly think of was the sheets were kinda damp but that is expected if you want to be right on the beach right!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bethblack923
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the excellent review posted about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with everybody helping our future guests to have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed one of our Master Suites and the beautiful beach we offer to our guests, in addition, we are glad to hear that our service and staff fullfilled your expectations. We really hope that you will be here in Ahau as a guest again in a near future! Wed appologize about the damp sheets, in this weather just in the middle of the jungle and in front of the ocean is hard to keep the moisture and humedity away. Once again, thank you fro your nice comments!

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Ahau with four couples (and two women without their husbands) and it was the perfect place for our vacation. Ahau is beautiful, rustic and relaxing. The staff took excellent care of us, from the booking stage until departure. The rooms were simple, but very pretty. (They unfortunately don't have much storage so it's hard to unpack.) We stayed in a beachfront junior suite which lacked privacy bc there are only gauzy window coverings, but we loved the easy beach access. (The upstairs junior suites have much more privacy.)

Beautiful place, hope to return soon!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the recently review posted about Ahau Tulum and also because you are sharing this with our future guests and they will have a better view of where are they going to spend their next vacations. We are very happy to hear that our staff fulfilled your expectationas an that you enjoyed your junior suite. Your comments are important for us and now we are going to put shades in the rooms windows in all junior suites, therefore, in your next visit you will have more privacy. We will be waiting for you with open arms when you come back to Ahau!!

Fairfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

My intention was to chill so I loved that Tulum (the whole town of Tulum in general) forced me to slow down and chill.

I loved loved loved lying on the hammock on the balcony anytime in the morning noon and/or night listening to the waves crash with the amazing breeze. Night walks on the beach were probably my favorite. I noticed that the staff at Ahau would rake the sand every morning and compared to some other spots, while walking down the beach, that the sand was always better at Ahau. I love our senorita that cleaned our room everyday. She was so nice...always had a smile on her face and waved to me whenever I saw her around. Thanks for the towel decor...So cute and I looked forward to see what she would do the next day. I was really glad I was able to give her a hug on our way out and to thank her. I honestly wish I had more cash on our last day to give her a bigger tip. Honestly, if there is a way for me to send money and know that she would get it I will.

The door to the shower is clear glass so we hung a robe to cover it for privacy. I'm not very shy, but I doubt my friends wanted to see my junk as they got ready. The fans above the bed had different settings but the lowest setting is pretty strong. There was an armoire in the room, but I basically wore board shorts and a different t-shirt everyday so I didn't need to use it. There was a net around the beds that I feel were more decorative than functional. Woke up once with a big bug in my bed. 1 x out of 7 nights...not gonna lie...could have been much worse in a tropical place. Ahau eggs...WOW!!! Fantastic!!! Add bacon. Yum!!! Totally wish I could get a coffee before 8 AM. I woke up at 6:30 our first morning and tried to order an Americano. Nope. Kind of disappointed...wasn't the end of the world, but it would have been absolutely perfect. Loved charging everything to the room, but so did my friends. Forgot to ask for receipts. Ahau doesn't do itemized receipts so save yourself the headache later and always ask for a receipt or pay with a card/peso/dollar.

Alison and Ari at the front desk were amazing. Great ladies with great personalities.

I had the pleasure of meeting Adam, Nicole, their children, and their friend. Adam is probably the nicest person I have ever met. They all have great energy conducive to a relaxing vacation. Loved the pizza and the chocolates. Will deliver to room/beach.

I was able to get a massage in the middle of the resort. I loved it. Otto did an excellent job from one Massage Therapist/Physical Therapist Assistant to another. There was hint of a storm and at one point it rained on me during the massage...Perfect storm: skilled massage, listening to nature (brids/waves), ocean breeze, and raindrops. It was a bit pricey but I was plenty aware of that beforehand.

Warning...Please don't depend on the ATM at Ahau or any other ATM for that matter. Didn't seem like any of them worked. Use the ATM at the bank downtown for a sure thing. And it will be a sure thing that you'll be hella charged for each withdraw from your bank. Just sayin.

Thanx ASia for the invite. Would totally stay at Ahau again. Great people, great place, great vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the excellent review you recently posted about Ahau Tulum. We are very happy to hear that fulfilled all your expectations and that you enjoyed your room and hammock in the balcony. We do rake the sand every morning to keep the beach clean and nice for our guests. We are glad to hear that our cleaning staff and their towel art made your vacations better and we also want to apologize because we did not have coffee in the early morning, now we have it installed from 5:30 to 7:00 every morning and about the glass door in the bathroom area now we have shades for it. We appreciate the great comments about Allison Adan, Nicole, Otto and Ari. We hope we can see you back in Ahau soon!!

Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

Disclaimer: I am going to sound very pretentious in some parts of this little travelogue.

When I travel, location is everything. My travel buddies this time around were my brother, Andrew, and, our friend, Keith. In Tulum, we found everything. Nothing about this place is pretentious. You come with your own set of expectations and wants. With that in mind, you set out to do those wants and expectations. Tulum grants those wants and expectations in a very relaxed, and friendly environment. Never has "siesta" been so true in Tulum. Life in Tulum is how it is life is meant to be lived.

My expectations and wants were the sun, and the beach. Ahau Tulum, an eco friendly chic resort, gave me these wants and did not fail my expectations. Growing up in Southern California, the sun here is much brighter and burns the skin much more so that in my part of the world. I have come to the conclusion that the reason being is smog. Yes, I have burst my bubble, and have accepted the fact that my part of the of the world despite its beauty and grand moments has smoggy skies. So I lay in the day bed that were so effective in the white sand beachfront of Ahau Tulum with mango yoghurt in my hand, and listening to my songs on my iPhone. Now this is where my pretentiousness comes in: sitting in my Indian pose, listening to music I love, and sunbathing is zen-like to me. This zen-like moments happened more than once. It truly heals the soul and relaxes the mind. That alone is worth the price of admission, folks. It also has to be said that the resort open its beach to the general public during the weekends which turns it to a busy beachfront. Although, I was assured that day beds are reserved for junior suite guests, and cabanas for the master suite guests which is nice as Ahau rightly commands a price for its accommodation.

If sitting by the beach with your music on isn't zen-like to you. Ahau also offers yoga sessions at 0800 and 1000 every morning by personable yogi. True to Tulum's chic atmosphere, yoga seems to be the fitness regimen of choice. They even have sunset yoga with chocolate and wine. But it also offers: kite surfing, paddle boarding, and a long stretch of white sand beach to jog/walk. I did jog almost everyday and it kicked my butt more so than the sterile jogging trails my neighborhood.

The food. I never had a bad meal in Ahau, and in Tulum's hotel/restaurant row. Nuff' said. Casa Banana, Restaurare, Ziggy's, Hartwood won't disappoint you if you are a foodie. My brother is a vegetarian, and fear not, they all have vegetarian options.

Go to Tulum now! And stay in Ahau! As I told an Ahau receptionist, I will be coming back when I have my own little family someday.

Room Tip: Book a junior suite: you get priority beach seating which you will need when the beach is swarmed by...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review you recently posted about Ahau Tulum. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that it was as relaxing as you wanted . We work hard to keep the beach clean and to have the beds and chairs ready for our guests, however, in this Eastern local vacations we have a lot of visitors on the beach as is public and that's why we have private beach beds and umbrellas for our guest and we are glad you enjoy it yours. We are glad that you liked our food and beverage options as well as our activities like Yoga and Kite surfing. We hope we can see you back in Ahau soon with your litlle family!