“Hippy chic”
Review of Ahau Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Ahau Tulum
Ranked #9 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The place is very nice, beautiful setting on the beach using local materials. I wouldn't call it luxurious though, I am suprised some people find it that way. It's a great place with nice atmosphere pretty good restaurant, home made pastas and nice salads, great limonade.
The bedding is nice but the bathroom is very basic with product dispenser, enough towels, a bathrobe but rustic. Air conditionned only works during the night, the machine is very loud and right over the bed and so if you want to take a nap in the afternoon it's hot, even with all terrasse door open. Some rooms don't have air conditionned. The staff was friendly and helpfull, waiters also.
I would recommand it for yoga etc..

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello, and thank for your kind review, it brings us great pleasure at Ahau to know that you enjoyed your time with us. We are constantly striving to learn from all our guest reviews.

Ahau has established goals to minimize our footprint to the environment. For this reason we minimized the use of plastic that is disposable. The product dispensers in the bathrooms are part of our comitment to not use disposable plastic. The soap products inside the dispenser are environmentally friendly premium soaps, which are made with real honey. Our mission at Ahau is to combine great service and simplicity with beauty and the natural surroundings, It is our belief that nature is the new luxury.

Arturo Soto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My friends got married at Ahau and it was absolutely beautiful. I loved the Bali hut with the showers outside, best to share 2 huts (upstairs & downstairs) with another friend or couple. Our stay was pleasant and the service was exceptional, especially from Alex! I took a yoga class in the studio loft in the morning and did not feel intimidated- it was an all-levels type of class! The specialty juices are to die for. Please note that this hotel is not a "party your face off type of hotel". It's relaxing, purifying, and I can't wait to go back. This is definitely a great place to retreat and just be.

Room Tip: I loved the hut, if you are into the basics. If you are looking for luxury I'd suggest one of t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sheilafe

Hello,

We want to thank you for the brilliant comments recently posted about Ahau. We are very happy to hear that our Bali Huts suited you and made your stay a pleasant one. In addition, we want to thank you for the great comments about the service and about Alex and the yoga lessons. We will be waiting for you next time you visit Tulum to prepare our specialty juices for you!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

You will never forget this place. We had only ever been to Tulum as hippy single travelers and finally attempted to go as a family. Ahau was fantastic, we enjoyed the romance of the beach, fabulous spacious rooms, awesome staff and the kids had a blast. Food was really good but you must try the raw food and meet Ines. Ines was the coolest masseuse you have ever met, transformed our holiday and inspired us to make this an annual escape. We managed to escape the reality of life and live on the edge for a week. If you do anything in Tulum make sure you go to Ahau and find Ines - forget the Yoga retreat she cured me. Could not recommend more highly - we were in heaven!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank zkplondon

Hello!

We want to thank you for the nice review posted recently about Ahau. We are glad to hear that you and your kids enjoyed the rooms, the food and that our staff surpassed your expectations. Moreover, it is great to hear that Ines suited your needs and that she cured you. We will be waiting for you in your next visit to paradise. Thank you for recommending us!!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

I've been going to Tulum for over 20 years, and every time i go back i have an even better time. There have been a few hotels with really wonderful rooms in Tulum for the last few years (and Ahau has wonderful room), so now the big difference is the rest of the experience. For our family, the high point was falling into the hands of the wonderful Ines, who arrived in our room as the resident massage therapist but during our week long stay turned out to be our healer, our spiritual guide, an, amazing masseuse, all around trouble shooter and last but certainly not least, generous and kind soul. 15 minutes into my wife's first massage on the second day of our visit, we realized that we would both be booking her for several hours each day. We had massages in our room, on the terrace of our room over looking the beach, on the beach, and in her magical massage bamboo enclosure. She pulled all the tensions out of us, and left us feeling healed and fresh and ready for the rest of the year! it broke our hearts to leave....

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review posted recently about Ahau. It is great to hear that you are a frequent visitor of Tulum and that you enjoyed one of our rooms during your stay. In addition, we are glad to hear that Ines pleased you with her treatments and made you and your family felt healed and fresh. We hope we can see you back in beautiful Tulum soon and visiting us in Ahau!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I was prepared to "rough it" in Tulum, but Ahau provided me with one of the most amazing, luxurious experiences I've ever had. I really enjoyed the spacious beach front suite (Junior Suite B - Top Level / King Bed). The bed was comfortable, the wind coming off the water was soothing and the mosquito nets and overhead fan provided some extra security and comfort--best sleep I've had in years and I didn't get bit by a single insect! I still miss taking naps on the balcony hammock... If you forced me to complain about something, the bathroom lighting was little low for my taste, in-room wifi was erratic (but better than expected) and no one loves having to dispose of their used toilet paper in a trash can (which is required in Tulum).

The service was phenomenal as well. Everyone was eager to help in any way they could. Arturo, Pamela, Alison, and Ari arranged everything for us and really made the trip special for myself and my friends! I enjoyed the food at the restaurant and I absolutely loved the juicing selection--I even stole a few recipes for myself. :-) In addition, the location was excellent. It was easy to walk, bike and cab to every restaurant and sightseeing destination.

After seeing some of the other high-end Tulum hotels, I cannot imagine staying anywhere else! Looking forward to going back sometime this year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hello!

We want to thank you for all the great comments recently posted about Ahau. We are glad that you enjoyed one of the junior suites and the ocean breeze as well as the bed and the balcony hammock. We apologize about the lighting as we try to maintain this as low as possible because ecological reasons and for this same reason we have the toilet paper trash can required in all Tulum. We loved that you enjoyed the restaurant food and juices and we are very happy to hear that our staff pleased you and fulfilled your expectations. We will be ready to pamper you next time you visit Ahau and this beautiful place called Tulum.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

After countless research for where to plan a yoga retreat, I found Ahau Tulum and instantly knew this was the place to host our retreat. Ines, the retreat coordinator, answered all of my questions and was an immense support as I coordinated this big undertaking. This retreat took months to plan, and she was so patient and helpful from start to finish.

Shuttles were at the airport to greet us, and whisked us to Ahau. As we walked up the steps of the hotel, we were greeted by such friendly reception staff including Jill and Ari and given mimosas to toast our arrival, then shown to our beautiful rooms.

All of our rooms were literally steps from the beach, with killer views of the beach. Each room had it's own private balcony/patio. I was able to sit on the balcony each morning and meditate to the sounds of the ocean waves.

I love that Ahau is so environmentally friendly-with filtered water in the room and their own organic bug spray. This is eco-conscious luxury. You will not find a giant pool on the property or flat screen tv's in each room. But you will find quiet, peace, relaxation, and feel well taken care of.

We practiced everyday in our own secluded yoga palapa that Ines and the Ahau team built for us right on the shore. I spent my time at the palapa practicing, sharing margaritas with interesting and amazing people in the lobby/restaurant, or on the beach relaxing (lounge chairs were always available and wait staff were around to bring drinks and food right to your chair).

During the retreat, Ines and the staff were always available and on-hand to make sure things were running smoothly and we were taken care of. Every time I spoke with Ines, she was so present and thoughtful in our conversations. She was also quick to action with even the smallest requests like a forgotten power cord in the palapa.

Some of the owners were at the property as well, and were warm and inviting. Arturo, the GM was onsite everyday and even came to class with us! Needless to say, the entire Ahau staff is genuine and made us feel like family instantly.

Ahau definitely has heart and soul. The moment you step onto the property you can feel it. This is not like a typical resort. This place is magical, and everyone who works here contributes to the vibe this places generates.

Thank you Ahau for a wonderful week!

Room Tip: Stayed in Junior Suite 10- Gorgeous thatched roof and an entire wall of windows with a perfect view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda H
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hello!

We want to thank you for the marvelous review recently posted about Ahau and your retreat. We are happy to know that you that the sense of arrival suited you and your students as Jill and Ari took care of you since the beginning. In addition, we are glad knowing that you enjoyed your rooms, the yoga platform in front of the beach an Ines taking care of all your needs. We hope you do all your next retreats in Ahau and be sure we will be waiting for you to pamper you and your students again, and of course , we will be ready to attend another Yoga class!!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Staying at Ahau Tulum made for a refreshingly unique luxury hotel experience. The calm and cool vibe of Ahau was paired with lovely tropical rustic designed huts and rooms complete with hammocks overlooking the beach. Coming from a foodie, all of the food was excellent- I gladly dined at the hotel every night enjoying delectable fresh fish dishes and perfect wine in a chill, peaceful setting. It felt as if the entire place was my own secret paradise- no sense of being imposed upon by typical luxury hotel pretensions- just pure quality and bliss. The entire stay felt like being in some kind of tropical Eden. Ahau Tulum gets it and does the luxury hotel experience right.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Arturo S, Gerente at Ahau Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Hello!

We want to thank you for the great review recently posted about Ahau. We are glad to hear that you felt that this place was your own secret paradise and that the food and service delighted you. Please come back to your tropical Eden at any time and let us offer you a great experience again. We are very pleased to hear that we fulfilled your Luxury Hotel experience expectations.