“Very nice position but poor service and food”

Los Lirios Hotel Cabanas
Ranked #64 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

The position is excellent. Also the rooms with garden view have sea view which is very cool. Room very big, well furnished and clean. The quality of the food and service is poor. The breakfast is ok with a lot of choise but I suggest to go to another hotel for lunch or dinner.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank valeria b

Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is really a picture postcard location structure. The hotel itself is very simple, so don’t expect super service, 5 star rooms or anything like that. But simple place to stay on the beach.
The rooms is big and simple with nice balcony. We were given the room next to the restaurant and the smell of food was very strong in the room during dinner time and breakfast hours.
The restaurant is simple, would eat there for lunch but go next door for dinner very nice! Could not complain about their breakfast as many have, well they don’t offer fresh juice or cheese but they make omelet’s and eggs on request for you, have pancake, bread, potatoes etc. Could set up the breakfast in a more easier manner, had containers for the food that were not easy to reach but part from that the breakfast was very good.
With structure like this one a really small effort and they could have very nice hotel.
Small details that could go better:

1.Beach towels had some stained
2.Beach chairs mattress all broken
3.They don’t use a proper laundry service but seems like they wash their own towels, that is not enough for a hotel and the bath towels smelled of washing liquid and were not perfectly clean.
4.During our 4 nights stay the bed was not changed! With all the sand that you bring into the room everyday it was a mess and with the stain on the bed linen as well they should have change it.
5.The room was clean when we arrived but during our stay nobody cleaned the floor so the sand was everywhere
6.After one night stay I received an e-mail from booking.com informing me that my reservation had been cancelled! I brought this matter up with the manager but he didn’t care that much

Maybe the worse thing was the shower, it had NO POWER at all, it did not even wash away the sand from your body.

The pool is just for kids it’s that small….but anyway who need pool on the beach!

Apart from some small thing like mentioned above the hotel worked out very well, easy to let them call you a taxi, and in a walking distance to many nice restaurants on the beach specially the one next door with live music.

If I would turn back to Tulum I would probably come back here.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Half8
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed here over Christmas.

Likes:
- Rooms are roomy, tiled, with bathtub, and good hot water/shower pressure.
- Service is very friendly
- Location is great
- Lot's of beach chairs
- Coffee at breakfast is good
- Internet free and works most of the time (in room as well)
- Restaurant food/drinks are good and service friendly
- Ziggy beach Club next door

So-so:
- Breakfast is pretty basic
- Beds not that comfortable
- Room safe is ancient model and very hard to use
- Pool is very small

Not good:
- Rooms booked where not available the first night
- Front desk staff is lackluster/not motivated to resolve issues
- Restaurant and hotel have little atmosphere/personality
- Cost is quite high for what you get (but in line with the rest of Tulum)
- Lumpy pillows
- The lobby looks depressing

All in all we had a good stay. We love Tulum and tend to eat at various restaurants so the not so good points weren't a real problem. I'd say Cabana Tulum next door is quite a bit nicer (but requires a one week stay in high season so didn't work for us). Ana y Jose (we have stayed) is a big step up but no longer worth the money.

If the owners put in some effort (the owners don't seem to reside at or manage the hotel) it could be much better. They seem to happy with what they have and not very motivated to do better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Erik567
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The room was clean and well decorated we a few steps from the beach with an unobstructed view.

We were there is early December and the occupancy was low so the front desk offered to upgrade us to a an ocean front room at no extra charge. Room are clean and well designed, I had read reviews before booking here about the food so I skipped breakfast and walked down the beach to a neighboring resort that has excellent food but would have cost substantially more if I had stayed there.

Ovderall, this hotel has a great beach front location and the front desk is friendly and helpful Another plus is the parking area in front of the hotel has 24 hour security so I felt it was safe to leave things in my car.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend staying here! One night we went out for dinner in town to come back to the room where it was robbed of a brand new iPhone and it's charger and when brought to the attention of the front desk their answer was "How can you prove it was stolen!" How can I prove it was stolen? When you leave a room and lock it up with something in it and come back and the doors are still locked and its gone then it was stolen. Word around the area was that the workers there at night see you leave and get into your room and steal your valuables. Once again you can do what you want but were warned more then once on this site about the thefts, if I were you I would DEFINITELY NOT stay here!!!

Room Tip: Stay at Ziggy's right next door, checked out rooms there after we didn't feel safe at Los Li...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank John A
Reviewed 17 November 2013

If you loom around the internet, it is difficult to find accommodation which gets thumbs up from everyone. There are hotels which don't have 24h electricity, some have shared bathrooms and others don't do anything about mosquitoes. So we turned up to Los Lirios with very low expectations and were completely bowled over by the place.

Bad bits: It is not a 5 star hotel. It doesn't have TV. It is slightly dated. Mattresses aren't very comfy.

Good bits: Rooms are big. Double the size of rooms you would find in a hilton or a holiday inn.
You don't need to pay extra for an ocean view as all you will end up with are people walking past your rooms.
Wifi is available for free but only near the restaurant. However it is good quality connection and you can easily make skype calls.
The breakfast is not amazing but was sufficiently big to avoid lunch! For those who like coffee, it was pretty good and unlimited. For evening meals,there is a brilliant restaurant next door and loads of bars within 15mins walks.

So for a peaceful, low cost accommodation, this is a brilliant choice.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the ocean view rooms. Save your money and take the garden rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ARTIST222
Reviewed 2 November 2013

First of all, let me just say that Tulum is a state of mind. If you plan to come here and expect all the amenities of a full service resort, forget it. This is not the place for you. Come here to get back to basics, relax and just BE. Los Lirios gives you all that you need in a gorgeous setting that will make the stress evaporate upon arrival. The ocean is right outside your door! The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable but very simple (no TV, for example). Personally, I found that the Mexican decorative touches made it that much more charming and I didn't miss a darned thing. I loved the wispy canopy covering the bed, and the hammock on the terrace provided for a feeling of an exotic escape. A/C is a luxury for sure, so I was incredibly grateful to come home to a cool room after being out in the humidity for hours on end (the summer into the early Fall is VERY humid). As I understand it, many hotels don't have A/C round the clock so this was a definite plus. The bed is quite hard but I found myself getting used to it after day 2 or 3, and I ended up sleeping like a baby for the rest of the trip. The water pressure in the shower comes and goes, so expect that. I actually liked it because it meant I could take a longer, more relaxing shower. The power in Tulum is spotty, so don't be surprised by a few short lived outages. And don't bring your own hair dryer because it'll blow a fuse (I learned the hard way). There is a small hair dryer supplied so no need to pack one. It doesn't matter anyway because your hair will be wet the second you step out into the humidity, so what's the point? Also, know that you are only provided one bar of soap per visit (and a small one at that) unless you ask for more. Be sure to ask for a key to the safe in your room; I found a great deal of peace of mind knowing my valuables were secure when I wasn't around.

I thought the complimentary breakfast every morning was a nice touch, but again, it is a simple buffet that doesn't vary much day to day. Coffee, cereal, fruit, tropical fruit water, waffles/pancakes, potatoes and custom made omelets is what you'll find here. The food is a bit above average in general, but I would recommend the ham and cheese sandwich and chicken quesadillas as they are quite tasty. The service can be a little slow but hey, who cares?! That's the point, right? TO SLOW DOWN. I'd also recommend eating at Las Estrellas next door or Ahau Tulum a few resorts down the beach if you have the chance. Papaya Playa (a short cab ride away) is also quite good. All three places have amazing ambiance and charm.

What made the difference between 3 and 4 stars for me was the staff at Los Lirios. Victor and Luz in particular were lovely people to deal with--so friendly and helpful--and they were committed to making sure I had everything I needed at all times...and always with a big smile on their faces. I felt at home almost immediately and that went a long way with me since I was by myself a lot of the time. I had the pleasure of having a massage on the beach (under a hut in front of the hotel) as the waves crashed a short distance away. It costs $70 and I would highly recommend it. You can book it at the front desk and there are several other treatments available as well. My therapist was very skilled and understood exactly what I wanted as I needed him to be careful with my sensitive shoulder.

Unfortunately, I was there on business so I did have to do some work. The only place on site that gets a good wifi signal is the restaurant so I spent a fair amount of time there emailing. It made it a little more tolerable when Happy Hour would come around and I'd get a giant mojito for about 7 dollars. Get the chips, guacamole and pico de gallo while you're at it! After having the pleasure of working here I'm not sure how I'll ever be able to fully accept an office again!

A couple of recommendations for activities: the Tulum ruins, Grand Cenote (underwater cave) and the Tulum Monkey Sanctuary. All three things were truly amazing and awe-inspiring. I can't say enough about the Monkey Sanctuary. As a matter of fact, I'm still on a high from that tour and I plan to write a separate review about it. Not to overdramatize, but it was one of the best experiences in my life. If you are an animal lover/conservationist and are enthralled by our primate friends, this is a MUST do. It's off the beaten path and not a lot of people know about it yet (it's only a year old), so do your research and make it a part of your itinerary if you can.

All in all, a spectacular trip to Tulum. If you want a hotel with a friendly staff but will happily forego the fancy resort bells and whistles in favor of rustic charm, stay at Los Lirios. I look forward to coming back in a year or two. Thanks to everyone at the hotel who made my stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Choose A-D buildings for oceanfront views and second floor units if possible. D building has wifi c...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business