1,216 results
All reviews salsa night salsa party balcony suite plunge pool salsa dancing beautiful beach ceviche beach beds tulum beach beach bar sister hotel palm trees laid back the entire staff amazing hotel playa del carmen our honeymoon
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Just got back from a long weekend wedding at La Zebra. Overall the place was pretty amazing.. We have traveled to the Caribbean quite a bit and this place was as good as almost anywhere. We stayed on the beach side so that is what this review is of. We were in Cabana 7.

Positives: Great Beach! Polly is an awesome dog to hang out with. The food was generally pretty good. great beach. cool cabanas.. no TV, radio's etc... cool rustic feel. Clean. Nice staff that were pretty attentive. There are a lot of places along the strip of beach so it is easy to walk down the beach to find a new restaurant/scene. This means it is not all that secluded so that could be a negative I guess. Beach was very swimmable.. soft sand, shallow for a while.. its not a cove so it is kinda choppy.. couldn't see to much snorkeling happening at any time of year here but it was great swimming.

Negatives: Not really too many... the biggest is that this part of Mexico is NOT mexico.. it is VERY expensive... I kept laughing and saying.. I look forward to getting back to California for some cheap Mexican food!

The toilet paper thing is a little strange... Now it's not that you can't flush and have to throw it away. I've been in other places like that, not that big of a deal. But in say LEbanon where the same thing happens all the cans have lids on them. Here all the cans are open... this was especially weird in the public bathrooms as you are sitting there doing your deed and you are basically on top of the big, open air, TP receptacle. I'm generally not too squeamish about things so I never smelled anything too offensive. but I don't understand how they don't have lids on these things? :-)

The service was a little spotty at the restaurant. I ordered the same breakfast every day... by the last day they had it dialed in but there was a strange inconsistency when I ordered it... it would come completely different from one day to another... won't go into it but it was confusing. There were also a couple instances of ordering two BIG waters and them just forgetting it or bringing out one small water... I speak decent enough Spanish to order waters I assure you and the waiter would even say it back to us... then something would happen... not a big deal.

Anyways.. we would DEFINITELY go back to La Zebra... awesome place. Great people...cool accommodations.

The Wi-Fi was great in the bar area... but nonexistent just outside of there.

Room Tip: Only really saw the beach side.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 November 2011

La Zebra Hotel is on a gorgeous beach--the Huts anyway. It is a super relaxing place with many lounge chairs and hammocks. like other places in Tulum---you do not throw toilet paper in the toilet, but rather a waste basket--so be fair warned. There are also no doors inside the huts, so if you cherish private bathroom time, your hut mate will have to stay outdoors. There is no air conditioning. The huts have tower fans and windows. It was generally comfortable with the ocean breeze. No blow dryers, irons, or other equipment is allowed. I don't want this review to sound negative--just honest. Much of what I am writing was not available to us prior to going. I do not know if it would have altered the decsion to go or not, but it would have been nice to know what to expect. I was a little stressed out after arriving, but it all ended up ok. The weather was good with a few rainy days and the generators went out some. It was a good vacation, especially during February. The water was warm enough to swim, the sun was awesome, and the sand was soft.

PS--there was a local dog named Polly that we "adopted" while we were there---take care of her if you see her! She's super sweet!

Room Tip: No AC, no paper in toilets, no door in bathroom.
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Loved a lot about the place; the hut, the beach, the water, the sun, and the sea breeze was perfect:-) And this is actually quite important if you don't enjoy sweating all the time...it gets sooo hot if you are on the "wrong side" of the beach, or the road.
The cabanas with ocean view are the nicest though, or the ones with partial ocean view....I would not want to stay on the "jungle" side.

And the location was actually worth paying for; in my opinion it is by far the best spot along the beach.
but the food was quite mediocre, the reception staff seemed uninterested. The guys who kept the place running, the waitors, the gardener and so on were quite the opposite; polite and very helpful.

All in all I got what I wanted; a nice, well-groomed, quiet and partially secluded spot. And it was worth every penny. If you do require more service or even some luxury, you are probably better of going somewhere else.

Room Tip: stay on the beach side; if not you are better off staying somewhere cheaper. I would choose the nmbr 2 or 3 cabana from the beach ; in these you will have more privacy.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Two weeks ago my wife and I celebrated our wedding at La Zebra, after having spent an entire week with family and friends at the hotel.

We were a bit nervous about how things were going to turn out since we had never visited the place. We organized the whole thing remotely (we live in Argentina) and had friends and family flying in from several different countries.

We booked the entire hotel for about a week and had 50 people attending the beach ceremony and wedding party.

If I had to describe my experience at La Zebra in one word it would be: HEAVEN!

We are world travellers and had never stayed at such nice cabanas and enjoyed this level of personalized service. The staff is super friendly and courteous and the prices are very reasonable.

Lina, our wedding planner, was amazing!! She helped us sooo much from the first day of planning until the last minute of our stay. She really made our wedding planning experience completely painless, even though we were 5000 miles away.

Everyone that stayed at La Zebra and attended the wedding said this was one of there best (if not THE best) hotel experiences of their lives.

I absolutely recommend La Zebra, Lina and the rest of the gang (including Charlie!!) for your destination wedding, honeymoon or just your next weekend get away.

If paradise exists it looks like La Zebra in Tulum!!!!!!!!!!!

Ale & Tommy

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I have stayed in Tulum 32 times over the years. I felt I needed to write this review of La Zebra and my many experiences of eating, drinking and speaking with the staff-also seeing many of the rooms and the prices while trying to decide if I would ever stay here. There is only one room located on the beach-the other room go back from the property into the jungle and closer to the busy road-which means no sea breeze and more bugs. There are other rooms located on the other side of the road that are in the jungle-HOT and a lot of bugs with a pool-read other reviews. I would never spend that much to be eaten alive and bake in a jungle. My attraction to La Zebra is the location of the restaurant with it's wonderful restaurant deck. I have overlooked the fact that the staff is not warm and often acts as if it's a problem to help you-with anything. Due to this reason I simply never felt I would book a room and stay here. My last experience was NOT good. I was over charged on a credit card for 2 packs of cigarettes and a drink-I was told my card was not working and I returned the next day with cash-I was double charged and my card shut down due to Fraud Alert- The staff is RUDE and this place looks nice but is truly overpriced on everything and worse than any rude restaurant I have ever been. I am a man of means and have stayed at many 5 star hotels and enjoy Tulum for it's eco chic-La Zebra is off the charts with it's prices and there is NO quality of service or reason for the level of flat out cold and rude staff for what one pays.
If you enjoy paying to much for everything and feeling bad while you do it-eat, drink and stay here.
Thomas A. Brown

Room Tip: There is only one room on the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank tbfairfield
happeedaize, Owner at La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Your review is certainly detailed, even though you have not been a hotel guest with us. Thanks for your many observations of beach living in Tulum. Like all the hotels on the beach we are close to the pristine jungle and of course see mosquitoes and other normal jungle insects especially in the wet season. As long as the refreshing breeze is blowing we are not troubled by them.
We have four absolute beach front rooms and another 8 that are right on the sand on the beach side. Also we have lower cost, newly designed and beautifully finished rooms on the jungle side of the property. Perhaps one day you could stay with us and experience our services personally.
Also, we would advise you that we do not support over consumption of alcohol at La Zebra in case guests get a little carried with what we call the "Caribbean Fever" that often sets in when people stay in this beautiful beach setting. We look forward to seeing you soon.