La Zebra looked nice when we were researching hotels, but we weren't expecting too much. It turned out to be a great surprise and a perfect stay.
It's all in the details. We were greeted upon our arrival with ice cold margaritas. Grace was incredibly nice and welcoming, and gave us a quick tour of the property and our room. We stayed in one of the jungle cabanas, right across the street from the restaurant and reception. The 4 cabanas were quiet and secluded, with a small pool and hammocks and chairs outside each one. The single-room cabanas have a safe, shower and bathroom (with curtain), and the pint of tequila for new guests was a very nice touch.
We quickly settled into a routine each morning: coffee and pastries were delivered (free of charge) each morning, and we'd sit in the chairs outside drinking coffee as the town woke up around us. Then off to the beach for a swim, followed by breakfast at the hotel and a long walk on the beach. As far as traditional fare goes, the restaurant at La Zebra was the best of the hotels we visited (and we stopped by almost all of them during our week-long vacation). Their ceviche bar and guacamole are both excellent, and their tacos come with a choice between flour and corn tortillas, both hand-made. Every meal we had there was excellent; it was one of the few restaurants on the entire beach that always had a decent-sized crowd (without ever feeling crowded). And everything is situated right on the beach, so you're never far from the water and the view is great.
The beach location was perfect – plenty of other properties in either direction, but you never feel like you're in the middle of too much, as the kite-surfing and larger hotels are further north. It's the perfect blend of relaxation and feeling like you're in the company of like-minded people. We watched some of the Sunday night salsa dancing and the Saturday afternoon live music; it's nice to have the option of laid-back nighttime activities, but we were usually ready to relax back at the cabana after dinner.
The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful, and assisted in planning activities, figuring out taxi expenses and hanging on to our bags after we checked out but before we moved on to our next hotel (which was more expensive and not nearly as nice). Normally when we travel, we like to try a few different hotels. If we were to return to Tulum, we'd have no problem staying at La Zebra for the entire time. Great staff, great location, reasonably priced: everything you could want in a relaxing Tulum vacation. Highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated directly on the beach in a historic former coconut plantation, the family-run La Zebra offers a vibrant and rustic destination among Tulum hotels, where authentic Mexican culture and cuisine infuse every facet of your stay. Escape to an intimate Tulum Mexico hotel best described as stylish and beach-chic, with thatched roofs and colorful hammocks, coco palms swaying in the breeze, and warm Caribbean waters lapping at the shore just a few sandy steps away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Zebra Hotel, Tulum Hotel Tulum
- La Zebra Beach Cabanas Hotel
- La Zebra Beach Cabanas Resort
- La Zebra Tulum