“PARADISE 24/7”

La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 11 July 2009

My wife and I concur 100% with the remarks made previously of how terrific La Zebra is. We arrived late in the evening - very late in fact, and the staff willfully waited for us and offered us a beverage while checking in. We then walked the best beach I've ever scene and my wife saw more stars than she had ever seen in her life. We also agree with the remarks made of the staff's excellence (Mario, Patty, Leo, Fili, and all the others) with exception of the "lady with the long black hair". Our stay was the most pleasurable experience we could imagine. We stayed in Cabana #2 and loved it - perfect in every way. The sound of the ocean, the breeze, the quiet, a fantasy becomes reality. The restaurant, the bar were outstanding. We loved morning coffee that each cup was individually made. The menu was varied and the food wonderful. We enjoyed Sunday evening listening to the band while we cooked our dinner (steak, fish, chicken and vegetables) at our table on a hibachi. We will go back, as often as possible. To conclude, though not a beach person, my wife's computer now has a desktop photo looking from the restaurant to the ocean - that's how beautiful it is there.

Nada me dio mas orgullo que mostrar con alegria la belleza de nuestra tierra y nuestra gente............Jeff and Angelina

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for La Zebra Colibri Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2009

We stayed at the Luxury Beach Shack and negotiated a decent deal. The "shack" is so beautiful and is the perfect location (slightly secluded from everyone else, but right on the beach). My only complaint about the room was that we never figured out how to use our grill (doesn't matter because they provide you with plates and glasses, but no cooking utensils) and the upstairs toilet and shower are sectioned off by curtain rather than a door, so it could be awkward if there are 2 friends staying up there together. It definitely got very warm and uncomfortable at night without A/C, but it was July, so it's to be expected. It was breezy and nice to have the fans at night, but by sunrise, the ocean water was much calmer and the breeze had died down.

Overall pros: Beautiful room, gorgeous beach, nice set-up of lounge chairs, lounging beds, and umbrellas, friendly service

A few cons: (1) People rave about the food, but we ate 2 meals there and they were definitely our 2 worst meals of the trip. Not to say that the food was terrible by any means, but it would be a travesty if you only ate your meals there. I just wonder if the people who love the food ate at any of the really highly rated restaurants in Tulum. If you look at tripadvisor restaurant reviews, there's a reason why la zebra doesn't even make it to the list. (2) The service is super friendly, but they can be a bit slow and forgetful. Also, they would forget to bring towels out when we asked (twice in 3 days) or they would run out.

One more helpful hint, the front desk kept my passport as security and didn't give it back at check-out. We started heading for the airport and I realized I didn't have my passport on me and had to return to the hotel. More my fault than anyone else's, but it would have been a big plus if they could just give it back to me as part of their check-out procedure.

Overall, we loved Tulum and La Zebra and definitely hope to return soon!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2009

Tulum/Boca Paila La Zebra
Lat month I stayed at La zebra for 6 days, short vacation to be at Paradise but yet it was very very splendid.
I choose a beach cabana but they also have suites in the jungle side with a private swimming pool.
I'm am an ocean lover so I had to stay as close to the sea as I could.
The space in the cabanas has just what you need, decorated with a very pleasant taste. A great bed with its sensual mosquito net, space to put your belongings aside, a ceiling fan that is absolutely QUIET... LOVE It....., a private cute bathroom w/hot H2O & electricity 24hrs.
What more can you ask for!!!
The staff was great, always there to greet you with a friendly smile, wishing you the best day ever. The premises are very beautiful, arranged with delightful taste that allows you to feel comfortable & pampered at the same time. They have a Restaurant with good food & delicious Margaritas to enjoy while dancing on Sunday nights or while enjoying a good chat; which brings the name of "Ocean:" Make sure you ask for him. He is a great hostess who gave me VIP care. He is part of La Zebra's team; a charming french guy, knowledgeable, humorist & has very good energy that emanates peace & happiness. He makes your stay top-notch pleasant.
La Zebra is the place to stay . The Ocean will lullaby you at night & will soothe your morning rise!!! Hope you go.

2  Thank Adrimermaid
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I loved La Zebra so much that I've tried to post a review twice, and for some reason it fails to go through. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

I stayed in one of the Jungle Rooms, and loved it, perhaps even more than if I'd been right on the beach. These rooms seemed calmer, albeit a little warmer, but let the two fans do their job, and you'll be comfortable. If you're AC crazy, this kind of accommodation (cabana on/near beach) might not be for you.

With the off-season coupled with the swine flu paranoia, La Zebra gave me an incredible deal.

The rooms have so many nice touches: a bottle of tequila with two shot glasses, endless towels of all sizes and for all purposes, a beach bag, endless bottled water.

And like the previous reviewer, I don't understand the complaints about service. Everyone was friendly and helpful, although I would like to single out Marios and Miriam for particular praise. They were both just incredibly gracious in solving small problems, none of which really had anything to do with my stay at La Zebra. Miriam even called a local bank manager on my behalf -- without my even asking -- when I lost an ATM card. That kind of attention is extremely important to me when I travel.

I'm not going to reiterate all the praise of previous reviewers, I'll just endorse it. I don't know where the idea that the showers are saltwater came from (as far as I could tell, the water wasn't saltwater--or if it was, it was so subtle it escaped notice).

Try to time a visit to coincide with a Sunday, when there's salsa dancing with a fabulous band.

I just hope I can return to La Zebra soon. It''s on a beautiful stretch of beach.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank KNewY0rker
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Overall:
A wonderful experience, one of the best properties on Tulum beach and highly recommended. Please do NOT be discouraged about SWINE FLU, the media's fear mongering is destroying their economy. There still hasn't been a documented case in the entire area. There are NO signs of swine flu here. It's extremely sad to see how badly the locals are being effected. On the plus side, the beaches are nearly empty and you'll find great deals.

Room:
We stayed in #17, one of the Jungle Rooms across the street. These rooms are a wonderful value. You get none of the sea breeze back there, but we were cool enough with the two fans, even though it is VERY hot in Mexico in May - although I'm not sure what it would be like in July/Aug. We did not have any issues at all with road noise, although we did get up very early (sunrise) and are used to some noise, living in NYC. The property is quite far down the beach though, so traffic is very minimal. The pool was a nice treat for a dip after a morning run, or a relaxing swim before dinner, although it wasn't the kind of pool you would lounge around all afternoon. Would be great for kids. The jungle rooms are quite new, well appointed and comfortable. It's true the bed is a little hard, but ALL beds in Mexico are hard (I've been coming to this region for years). Overall it was on the softer side for Mexico. I will also concede that it is a little awkward not to have a door on the toilet, but this was not a genuine inconvenience. Loved the beach bag.

Service:
Overall, excellent. We ate at the restaurant and sat at the bar/ had drinks on the beach many times, and the service was great. The waiters and bartenders speak plenty of english, if thats a concern. I don't understand the complaints here about service, except to say: you're on the beach in mexico, not at Bennigan's. It's a different pace, which is a GOOD thing. Service was efficient and I was never kept waiting long for anything.

Location:
Fantastic location down the beach. Very quiet, which should be why you're coming here. A beautiful stretch of beach, absolutely pristine (and I have seen ALOT of beaches from Turkey to Thailand to the caribbean). Often we were among the only people on the beach. I assume less crowded than usual though of course. Never had a problem finding a lounger.
15 minute drive to "town". Rent a car, it's worth the money and plus you can take excursions to Chichen Itza, Yal Ku lagoon in Akumal, Tulum ruins etc (all three MUST be seen!). I recommend renting from Alamo, good service and they have an office in Tulum (one of the few) in case you run into problems. We had car trouble and it was wonderful to have the office right there in Tulum to correct it quickly.

Food:
First of all, the drinks at La Zebra are phenomenal. My husband and I are definite tequila and margarita snobs, and we've never had a better margarita, the only exception maybe being those we make at home. DO try La Zebra margarita, and the mango. Worth every peso.
The food at La Zebra is very good and we ate many meals there. Breakfast is excellent, especially the fruit - some of the freshest, most delicious fruit I've ever had (the magic ingredient in those mango margs!). Lunch is also tasty and you'll find the usual suspects. Don't miss the phenomenal guac. Dinner is good although not outstanding. In my opinion, the prices are a little higher than they need to be for dinner. They are part of the local slow food movement and serve nice edible sized portions - how refreshing!

In sum:
There are alot of properties on Tulum beach where you could pay more and get less. La Zebra is a beautiful property and a great value. I wouldn't recommend Tulum for families (kids might get bored), but its a fantastic getaway for adults and a great base for excursions as well.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kkrueger
Reviewed 28 May 2009

As soon as our group checked in we started to decompress. After throwing our luggage in the room, we hit the beach for a walk. Our hut, number 2, was 50 feet from the water and we could walk straight out of our hut directly onto the beach. They have enough couches and beds on the beach and around the Cantina for everyone staying here. The only annoyance on my trip is the fact that my room key only works on occasion and I was afraid to lock my room, since I would get locked out. The un-airconditioned room was never a problem because of the amount of frequent, steady, forceful breezes in the evening. The bed was firm and we slept well every night. There were always enough towels and the hotel even has a packed beach bag with two towels and a bottle of water for you to take to the beach.

The Cantina is a wonderful Slow Food Establishment with locally sourced organic produce on offer. I ate brealfast, lunch and dinner here and recommend the restaurant for meal. Since the exchange rate was 13 pesos to the $ during our stay ,we felt the the prices were 20% less than at home, however, if the pesos go back to 10 to the $ then this restaurant would be on the expensive side for this part of the world (the average main course price is 170 pesos). I really liked the fish of the day. All of the staff in reception and in the resttaurant are very friendly and attentive.

Besides the ruins, there is not too much going on besides a wonderful uncrowded beach. The sand is very fine and soft. Since our hut was so close to the beach, it was an easy relocation from our hut's porch to the lounge beds on the beach. The music is mostly Paris lounge music and not overbearing or too loud. Even though I prefer Playa del Carmen's nightlife, this hotel was a wonderful starting place to start the decompression process before you enjoy the more vibrant atmosphere in Playa del Carmen.

The 90-120 minute ride from the airport is the worst drawback to staying in Tulum. This beach is very far away from the town of Tulum, but the isolation is the appealing part about this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shanehoustonlittle
Reviewed 7 May 2009

Tulum is such a gorgeous, serene location it can be a bit challenging to remain objective when reviewing La Zebra. My husband and I LOVED Tulum, LOVED our little ocean view cabana (no. 3) but were bitterly disappointed with the front desk service.

Please note we were probably one of just three couples staying there (place was empty because of the swine flu scare) and except for Mario at the front desk who checked us in and was helpful (arranged a tour to the Bio Sphere with Cesiak which was excellent) the other front desk staff (lady with long black hair) couldn't have cared less. When we asked repeatedly when Tulum ruins were scheduled to open (since Mario was not there towards the end of our stay) she claimed there was no place to call and ask and all we could do was drive to the front gate and see if there were any signs posted. Well there were no signs, only taxi drivers standing around trying to pick up clueless tourists like us and one of them told us the ruins would be closed until Saturday. Suffice it to say the day we checked out (Wednesday), as we were driving away towards Playa we discovered the ruins had reopened when we happened to glance towards the parking lot. We were SOOOO DISAPPOINTED since we had told Indifferent Front Desk Lady how anxious we were to see the ruins and were willing to squeeze in a tour the morning we checked out (I believe the ruins open at 7am).

So unfortunately based on Indifferent Front Desk Lady I would definitely hesitate to recommend La Zebra to my family or friends...there are so many beautiful properties along the beach and as a tourist who was determined to stay and support the Mexican economy by not canceling because of the influenza scare, La Zebra clearly let us down. Because they have such a charming property (sofa set overlooking beach, salsa class etc.) they clearly feel they do not need to go the extra mile to please their clients which is really a shame (we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and out of the four hotels we stayed, La Zebra was the only property that did not do something special i.e. towel animal, complimentary champagne etc.).

Go there for the cute cabanas and beautiful beach setting but don't expect much more.......my husband and I will definitely go back to Tulum (gotto see those ruins we missed) but will stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple