“4th visit to Amansala”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #54 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 18 April 2013

It is everything I need every year to kick start my spring regime. It is not the Ritz so dont go if you expect the Ritz, but do go, if you want to leave all your makeup, hair products and stress at home. It is a lovely relaxing place where nothing else matters. The staff and trainers are all great, the food is amazing, and yes you can lose weight and have a fabulous vacation. Since first going it has become more of a general hotel, whereas I am not sure it is ideal for families with kids, it is definitely for that woman who needs a great escape.

Room Tip: Rooms are not intended to stay in, they have comfortable beds, and the beach front views are amazing...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank dab1690

Reviewed 17 April 2013

The beach is awesome there. The staff was courteous and helpful, although there is no drink or food service on the beach. However, the bungalow we stayed in had holes in the palapa roof and walls. The power was constantly going out in our bungalow. And, the beach furniture was really weathered. Things should be a little nicer for the price.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JMacd69
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Amansala Bikini Boot Camp is the Paradise on Earth for me, and for my friends who have already been there with me. I've been there first a year ago. I was very surprised I was expecting something else. It is an Eco shic cabana resort. Which means: you don't have to wear shoes or slippers for a week. There is no tv or radio. Just relaxation. In a very simple but decorative environment. After I read the comments on this page I think I blame those who went there without collecting any information of this place. This is not the Four Season... You can do here sports 4 or 5 hours a day. With two trips, two massageal and a mayan clan mud-mask. The day starts with the Beach walk at 7. You can walk or run - as you like. After or during this you can make some exercise strenghten your body. After this you can spend your breakfast which means fresh fruits, yoghurt and granola. Every day with a different type of egg. You eat as much as you like. My favorite is granola which I always take home with me. The pineapple is so juicy and sweet... I rarely taste this perfect. In the morning there is an active training with Josh. My favorite coach and tour guide. If you are lucky he'll take you to the daily trip. He is extremely kind and attentive. He lives there he knows everything and everyone. He knows where to stop to eat some fruit or drink fresh coconut juice. But he is strict coach he"ll get the maximum out of you - if you let it. For lunch you get a nice bio meal of chicken or fish with salad and vegetables. They are so delicious! If you don't like something or you are allergic they change it immediately. My personal favorite is Nelson who noted the first time my favorite foods and brought it to me kindly after the first time. You also get some very delicious and healthy vegetable-juice. You can also find nutrition-specialist in their team who can help you with these. My husband had hypertension. She offered him some herbal he tried and now he has no problem with hypertension at all. Thanks Sheril! After lunch you can spend your time at the beach with sunbath or swimming in the beautiful, clean, warm water. It has one of the most beautiful beaches in the world; and I've seen many. Around 4 PM the exercises continue
like: zumba, african dance, cardio, pilates or yoga with Darlen till 6-7 PM. As you like. As many you can do. My coordination is not so good. But I do these dance lessons happily because it is fun. Sometimes I have to stop what I'm doing because I laugh so much on myself. I enjoy every minute of the lessons and that's the point. Before the evening rest we get supper. Fresh vegetables, chicken or fish, dessert. Or you can find some restaurants nearby but I prefer staying at Amansala. With bike you can reach Tulum one of the most beautiful mayan cities where you can visit ancient ruins. And the beautiful shore. On the other way you can reach the Shian Kan National Park. You can rest there for a while in the beautiful nature or swim. If you prefer the luxury of the 5 stars hotel.. you won't find it there. This is a natural and unique miracle without luxury. Where you can do active recreation far away from the everyday routine and stress. Thank you all for let Amansala happen and for your kind help! Melissa, good luck in the future with your incredible staff! Darlene, Josh, Kate, Sheril, Jesse, Carlos, Nelson:
you are so fantastic! We can see you love what you do and we love to be with you there. With love: Katalin and family, Judit, Ági, Rita, Stella, Marika. We have only one thing on mind when we leave: when can we return? We are looking forward to meet you again!

Room Tip: With friend room 5, with family room 6, alone room 20 :)
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank DonPepe12
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Saying "sorry" means nothing if you don't change your behavior. I'm really confused about my experience at Bikini Bootcamp. There are a lot of pros and cons.
My #1 recommendation to the owner would be this, "Regroup and start fresh!"
To be fair, I'll list PROS:
1.) Food, so fabulous! Breakfast could be better.
2.) Amazing beach!
3.) The candles glowing at night.
4.) Mostly calm staff with good attitudes.
5.) Warm showers.
6.) I did have a flat stomach by the last day! : )
7.) Sweet and educated Dietitian.
CONS:
1.) Making us pack our rooms up to ATTEMPT to give it to celebrities who showed up. Very entertaining to see half the staff tell us the truth while the other half scrambled to make up creative lies and excuses for why we MUST move to a tiny room. After refusing to move, the celebs were placed in the tiny room 20 minutes later! Wow, talk about wasting half of our day. After a couple days, I could even hear the celebs complaining about no organization.
2.) The most unorganized structure I have ever experienced. Expect to make whatever simple request you might have at least 3-5 times.
3.) We were here in the beginning of March, so it only took about 2 days to adapt to no AC. I can't imagine going here any other time of year.
4.) My spa appointments were moved a total of 7 times. I finally gave up and told them to forget the last spa treatment. It became awkward and stressful for me to even keep up with the changes...we eventually all just had to laugh at the entire thing. I was given some clay and offered a Tarot Card reading to make up for the confusion...(I can't even list how many people were offended by all the Tarot Cards even being present).
5.) Random kids running around....staffer's children I'd assume? Not relaxing.
6.) Constant schedule changes.
7.) Don't eat at any place besides Amansala, at least one person got very sick at every other restaurant we visited.
8.) No water dipping buckets at EACH room so you can clean sand from your feet and shoes.
9.) I've been to 23 countries .....and I can promise you that this place is cleary over priced and not advertised correctly for what you will experience.
10.) You'll find yourself asking who is in charge all the way up to your last day!
MY FINAL CONCLUSION:
This place COULD be exactly what they advertise it to be. The owner needs to take a time out and get a new game plan. It seems like they have good intentions but got off track somewhere down the line. I hope they get it together. I really loved the food and concept. They should have a trainer or some advisor who meets with each camper to ask what it is they want to achieve. For example, I don't need to lose weight, I needed to gain muscle. This is the most important thing I would say to managment, "This place is listed as a RETREAT. You have too many random people, noises, changes and confusion stressing people out. RETREATs should be focused and calm.Get ORGANIZED so people trust what to EXPECT so they can focus." Once I start to see reviews about change popping up for a while, I WILL come back and I WILL be happy to put up a good review. I can totally appreciate a "go with the flow, hippie vibe" but this place needs to GET IT TOGETHER and don't blame everything on just being laid back. You charge plenty of $$$ for what you're advertising.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
23  Thank K T
Reviewed 23 March 2013

There were definitely some special moments in my week at Amansala -- the massage with Sasha, the mud/wishing ceremony with Darlene, cardio classes with Kate, the pristine beach -- but overall the level of disorganization and overcrowding really affected my experience.

First of all, although the website didn't note it, there was a huge (30+) person yoga retreat being held at the same time as Bikini Boot Camp. This made meal times crowded and the service staff seem overwhelmed. Related to that, I had one simple request (for an extra water jug and dry towel in my room) and it took me asking three different people before I finally went and got it for myself. This sounds small, but when you pay thousands of dollars for a trip, you don't expect this level of apathy and disorganization from the staff. Finally, the entire vibe of our group was off because everyone seemed to have an experience of hidden charges, having to move rooms, or other logistical issues. It was kind of a bummer.

I highly, highly recommend a trip to Tulum. But BBC just didn't meet my expectations.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank N F
missyglee, Manager at Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

We were very full during the time you stayed with us and I think we have learned that it is not optimal to have a yoga retreat during a camp for the future which we have remedied by opening a separate new restaurant at the new property to avoid the yoga group being in the restaurant making it feel crowded.

It seems like you liked the fitness classes, massages, clay treatment, and other elements of the program though.

As for value, we try to keep our prices reasonable considering we include accommodations, meals, massages, a Mayan clay treatment, yoga, fitness classes with great trainers, tours and the rest of the bells and whistles for $345 a night plus tax (based on double occupancy) but do understand the yoga retreat being present at the same time is not the best scenerio and are taking steps to remedy this.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I came down with my daughter and we had a fabulous time! Our rooms were wonderful and clean... the staff was extremely helpful and so kind. The fitness and yoga instructors fabulous... the massages outstanding... food amazing. Darlene, in particular, was exquisite in how she responded to guests and managed expectations and requests with such grace. The only mild disappointment was that we lost a bit of the home feel when three celebs popped in and joined us for four days... it disrupted us a bit.. but on the other hand it added a flare.

Thank you all of the staff at Amansla and the wonderful women who joined in the journey!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank V O
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I am a return guest and brought my best friend for my 50th birthday last year. I was suprised to see negative reviews - it is such a special place. The first time I went solo and I enjoyed it so much I vowed to go back one day with a friend - so I did. I was a little taken back when I got there because it was not as I remembered, but later found that they had actually relocated their facilities. The food was still wonderful and the staff was amazing. If I had to give any constructive criticism, it would be that they would forget to ring the bell for class or ring it late and consequently I was late or missed a class or two. Overall, it was another great trip!

Room Tip: This is a great place to travel solo. I have meet amazing people there on both occassions and you f...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cindy S
missyglee, Manager at Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2013

Thank you for bringing yourself back and a friend! It is a great place to bring in your 50th and we look forward to hosting you for years to come. We have taken note about ringing the morning gong a bit louder to avoid having anyone miss of of the activities!

Hope you are keeping up the good work and we are all sending you a big hello from Tulum.