“Epic adventure!”

Ranked #47 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Epic adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I just came back from a solo trip to bikini bootcamp. It was my first time to travel by myself (with the exception of visiting friends) so I was a bit apprehensive but I had an amazing time!
*The rooms
Spacious and comfortable. I went for a double semi-sea view room and I though it was great. I was awoken by the sun rising on the beach every morning. The view was incredible, the beds were comfortable and the water was decently warm (not steaming hot though). I liked how there was a partition in between the two beds- makes sharing w a stranger a lot easier (although I loved my roommate and would have been perfectly fine without it).
*The food
The food was great! Healthy and filling. It's not a fat camp so they didn't go overboard with calorie reduction at the expense of taste.
* The workouts
I got my butt kicked- in a good way! The workouts are challenging but the trainers provide you with options to make them easier or harder depending on your level.
* The excursions
Lots of fun! They were also designed to be active so we took a bike out to the tulum ruins, went swimming in the cenotes. Beautiful and fun
* The staff
The best part of the whole thing! Everyone from the trainers, kitchen staff, cleaners, etc were so sweet and wonderful. Special shoutout to Josh, Darlene, Ali, Kate, Marcos and Oscar. They really went above and beyond

In short- book now! You won't regret!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank rshedid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Hungarian first
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just returned from a girls weekend in Tulum at Amansala. We did NOT do the bikini boot camp - we just did a mix of yoga and other activities. The entire experience was magical. From the service to the resort itself, there was not a detail missed. Although the weather was rainy almost the entire time, we still had an amazing experience. I cannot say enough about the food - delicious, fresh, clean. The Amansala accommodations are a surprising contradiction - rustic, yet modern. And comfortable beds!! However, what we loved most about our trip was the staff. Special thanks to Darlene and Josh for making our group feel so special and giving us an experience we will never forget.

P.S. sign up for African dance - it was so much fun!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

As an independent travel agent specializing in women's adventure travel, Amansala Bikini Boot camp met all the marks a hassle-free, amazing experience destination and spiritual journey. From the 40 somethings, right on down to the 15 year old boy we met there, everyone was happy being together during days filled with action, relaxation, culinary delight and self-discovery. As a destination, Tulum lacks nothing and if you speak 3 languages as I do, this is a perfect place to practice all three since it draws an international crowd of intelligent women (and men) from around the world. Our room overlooking the ocean was sublime, the service excellent and highlighting our experiences were Trainer Ali and his squats (Ouch!), Darlene and her magical mud-bath mantras, Oscar, Josh who takes his skin cream from trees as well as all of the Mexican cuties in the kitchen! I will definitely be booking women's adventure travel with the wonderful staff at Amansala in the future.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are amazing if you meditate---just the sunrise and you
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sherri A
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

As a guy, I was hesitant when I heard it was a Bikini Boot Camp, but I was invited by a friend for her 40th birthday party.
Pros
1. 1st of all guys---you are more than welcome and the workouts are tough.
2. For me, Darlene and Ali made this place like being at home with an old friend. Darlene's energy is amazing and Ali is like having your best buddy around, it's fantastic and inspiring to see people doing what they love.
3. Laura gave the best massages I have ever had in my life.
4. The food is clean and great, there is still booze if you want your afternoon/evening drinks.
5. They are very interested and making the group happy, and willing to change the schedule. Some of us wanted a tough yoga class scheduled in the morning and half way through the program they switched it up to accommodate us.
6. you go home feeling refreshed, energized, and ready for a change, instead of bloated, fat, and tired.

Cons:
There really aren't many.
1. if your room is hot, ask for a fan, they will provide one.
2. BRING plenty of cash...for your tips and incidentals, the ATMs in the area rarely work.
3. Checkout process could be improved, but I think they are working on it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I am a 36 year old physician in the northeast and mother of three. This was a girl's trip with one my closest friends with the philosophy that we would have a tropical vacation that was focused on fitness and balanced with relaxation. It was everything I asked for, and I received much more than I was expecting. Every day there was a schedule delineating what we would do that day, starting with a 7:00am beach walk, work out, then breakfast and either another fitness class, followed by lunch, then beach/siesta/massage time, then 2-3 more hours of different fitness/yoga classes. Or there would be an excursion to a local site during the day. However, the schedule was written in chalk and the staff was incredibly flexible to the group's wants. That being said, there was very little we ever wanted to change because everything was fun, well planned and executed perfectly.
As the other reviews said, the food was excellent. I mean really, really good. Fresh fruit or smoothie, some preparation of eggs and the infamous "green drink" with chia in the morning, salad with either fish or chicken for lunch, and soup, salad, unique vegetable sides, and another serving of lean meat (one night we had steak and freshly caught lobster that we watched them catch that afternoon). I was a little worried the food would be bland (what, no cheese??) but absolutely the opposite. They even sell their cookbook with the most asked for recipes (of which I have made three since I came home). The classes were never boring, were an amazing workout, and well taught by very knowledgable and energetic trainers. (Our only So-So experience was from a visiting fitness instructor - they immediately changed the entire program as soon as we mentioned our concerns.) We had cardio fitness, cross training, kick boxing, dance fitness, zumba, restorative and rejuvenating yoga, and mat pilates. I think they also have spin bikes but we didn't use those. Our group loved the beach blast with the instructor running ahead preparing an obstacle course of cross training stations including throwing coconuts, tricep dips on beach furniture, sprints from lines drawn in sand, etc. We thought the use of the equipment around us was creative and every day it was different. All the classes were easily modifiable (we had a previous olympian in our group and someone else who had open heart surgery 9 months ago in our group and everyone got the workout they were looking for). The excursions were a great mix of local attractions that were unique and well... awesome. Our group liked the alternating schedule of heavier workout days with the short excursions. However, if you wanted additional training instead of an excursion, they would accommodate you. We even had the rare experience of watching baby turtles hatch on our beach!
The resort itself is charming. The rooms are beach rustic decor, and incredibly clean. They are all newly built (the resort itself is less than 10 years old). Without air conditioning, it's not the Ritz, but who needs that in Mexico anyway? All the "palapas" were sitting in the sand, on the beach and the breeze at night was amazing. You are only in the room to shower and sleep. It is an eco chic resort and when you see the delicate location of Tulum, you will understand why. Anyone in this day and age who doesn't understand that you have to reuse your towel more than once, need not apply.
Things I would suggest: bring way more work out clothes than you think you would need and for really hot weather. It took a day or two to acclimatize to the heat. Think 12-14 pairs of lulu lemon shorts and sports bras or maybe a tank top. Or bring a travel size bottle of detergent to wash your favorites in the sink. We usually wore just sports bikinis to the morning beach blast, wore a cover up to breakfast, showered, changed into other work out gear, then class/excursion/etc until after lunch, beach time, then back into work out gear for late afternoon. Also, we had a salsa instructor one night and went to a local restaurant for dinner and salsa (recommend Le Zebra!!) and you need something cute and they love them their heels.
Per the earlier review, we did not have any problems with overcharges (aren't all Americans afraid we are being cheated because we don't speak the language??). It's hard for me to relate. The owner is from NYC and is on site, the trainers are all American with the exception of one from Switzerland who speaks better English but with an adorable French accent. The front office staff is either American or again, speaks impeccable English. I admit, I was a little worried --1 1/2 hour car ride from airport, no phone number to call at the resort, weird way of having to email for reservations -- all sounds kind of sketchy. But once I arrived, I was never afraid for a second about anything whether it was my belongings in the room, my personal safety or weird charges to my credit card. And that says a lot since I never give my credit card number out over the phone, contemplated getting a henna tattoo with the american embassy phone number on the inside of my arm, and can't sleep without my security alarm set and I live in Vermont!
The only other suggestion is to think seriously about how much cash you bring. There are some suggestions for tips posted in the dining area. Depending on how many classes each trainer teaches or who acts as your guide on excursions, I tipped anywhere from $20-$75 per trainer. Tipping the housekeeper is pretty standard anywhere and about $5/day seems the average. They also suggested about 9% tip towards the kitchen staff (averages about $55-60 for the week). It's not as if there is a huge amount of pressure to tip -- just the subtle sign in the dining room. But I CAN honestly tell you that they deserve each and every penny. Each person working there worked hard for us each day and always with smiles and jokes. In the end, I spent about $400 and wish I had left more.

Now, the best part of this entire week was definitely the people. Not only did the trainers become like family (hi to Darlene, Josh, Kate, Jeff and Jessie!!), the other BBC participants were what made the program work. The "girls" that were part of our bikini boot camp were from all over the world (Vermont, Utah, Hawaii, Sweden, etc) with a vast variety of backgrounds (which we realized at the end of the week that we didn't really know what each other did) and we bonded instantly. We already have plans to meet in Europe and set up an student exchange with our kids. I sincerely hope for anyone considering doing this camp that you have an equally transformative and rewarding experience. Or at least burn some calories and get a tan.
Thanks BBC and I look forward to my return trip!

Room Tip: Room 5 was great -- right on the beach, great breeze. 2 beds. Rooms 3 and 4 also seemed like good l...
6 Thank C P
Frederick, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I am a 27 professional woman who was traveling by myself...Bikini boot camp was the perfect place for me to take a break from the stresses of everyday life. The staff was extremely accommodating and fun. Food was healthy but delicious- I never went hungry. The trainers were an absolute blast and the workouts challenging. My room was right on the beach- no AC but ocean breeze every night. Definitely rustic but comfortable. The excursions definitely showed you the best of Tulum. By far the best was the people I met. As a solo traveler I never went lonely and made amazing friendships with some beautiful, interesting, intelligent people! They were of all ages and came from a variety of backgrounds.

Room Tip: I enjoyed room 19 with a beautiful ocean front view. If you're doing Bikini boot camp it's...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Hope P
Bergamo, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

take care about payment time!! i did my check-out 1 day before to leave the hotel and i paid total amount in cash; the followed day they told me that missing 50 dollars and at the and i hade to pay again it! we didn't find the solution....i m sure gave all money and when you do check-out normaly the desk clerk have to ensure to receive all money!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple