“Amazing Experience! Highly Recommend!”

Amansala Eco-Chic Resort + Retreat
Ranked #48 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
“Amazing Experience! Highly Recommend!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I had an amazing experience at BBC! I highly recommend it for those in search of a healthy, rejuvenating vacation! The beach is gorgeous, the exercise classes are fabulous, the excursions are fun, and the people are incredible! I made many wonderful new friends. Note that it is on the beach in Mexico with a breeze but no ac - the rooms are in cute palapa buildings, it's not the 4 Seasons and it's not supposed to be. There are some good spa services available. The food is healthy and delicious at BCC and Hartwood restaurant down the road is incredible!

Room Tip: Pick a room with an ocean view for a nice breeze.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hungarian first
Ashland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Just returned from an incredible week at Amansala. This was a mother/daughter getaway trip to celebrate her 18th bday and high school graduation, and do a personal "reset" before my 50th. We work out a lot together and have done the Bikini Bootcamp book/diet at home a couple of times, so that had a lot to do with our decision to go to Amansala. The accommodations, food and classes were wonderful. Excursions were great too. But the biggest surprise for me was being with a group of active, smart, interesting women from around the world. I can honestly say I did not go looking for this kind of connection -- I probably would have said I wanted more alone time on this trip -- but I left Amansala having made unexpected new friends. What a gift. I look forward to returning!

Room Tip: All rooms are open. Request a fan from the front desk to increase air flow.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank AnneAshbey
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2014

What a disappointment! There was nothing "eco" or "chic" about this place. The rooms were shabby and run down. I was told to "leave the towels and linens on the floor" if I wanted them replaced. The dirty towels were taken away but never replaced and the sweaty linens were just put back on the beds. There was no scheduling, the workouts were poorly planned, the food was left over, and the management was rude. While the spa providers were very good, the actual "spa" was just a room with a curtain door and no other spa amenities. I left this place exhausted, dehydrated and in a need of a vacation.

Room Tip: There is no good room but the ocean front rooms are better than those in the back of the property...
17 Thank mcp m
Greenbrae, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I'm not a work-out-for-vacation type of person but I went to Bikini Bootcamp for a girlfriend's 40th birthday and I've changed my mind. I had such a great time. I was able to combine just the right amount of activity and R&R for me, and the lack of docking stations at ever turn provided a welcome respite from sending emails and allowed me to actually spend time having conversations with girlfriends face to face vs via text. It felt just as good as the 7am run/walks on the beach. I highly recommend going and going with friends. You wont regret it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lissette F
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I just returned from BBC and it was an amazing experience. It was a truly special week filled with self reflection, wonderful food, great exercise, adventurous excursions and a fabulous spa. The hotel has amazing staff, spacious eco-chic rooms with wonderful views and direct beach access. I can’t wait to return. I travel all the time for work and pleasure—this experience is a must do. It is a life changing adventure not to be missed.

2 Thank Katie B
San Jose, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had read many articles about Tulum and mentions about Amansala so decided to book with my friend. WE LOVED it but a few things to alert people to (things I learned and gleaned from others):
1.) No air conditioning anywhere so be prepared - it's hot, especially in the summer.
2.) if you are working out in the heat, take an exercise water bottle from home and your favorite tube of electrolyte tablets. Your circuit workouts will be hot and you will pour with sweat. This makes it tough in the heat and maintaining your electrolytes is key.
3.) if you find it tough to sleep in the heat, ask for rooms 2, 3 or 4 (ocean front) - GREAT wind through your windows and doors. If they are booked, then request an extra fan in your room. 1 fan per person, you'll needed it. I had both types of rooms. Ocean front is definitely better and worth the extra price but I was able to make due with an extra fan in my room for a garden room.
4.) their food is OUTSTANDING so healthy and good portions, you won't starve unlike some camps.
5.) bring LOTS of exercise clothes and biodegradable laundry soap (like Ecos) for quick sink washes. You will pour with sweat so be prepared to change your clothes often. I thought I had packed too many sports things and actually ran out!
6.) Sarong was very handy to have - bring it if you have one.
7.) Deet - bring it for mosquitos + high factor for the sun. I wore factor 50 and still came home with a healthy tan.
8.) Don't bring any fancy clothes or jewelry - you won't wear it.
9.) Its a casual place but SUPERB if you ask Melissa or Darlene for some additional help or change. You gotta know going in - this is not the Four Seasons. It's casual, relaxed and super helpful people but they won't swarm you. If you ask for something, I found them extremely responsive and nice, super helpful.
10.) the instructors were AMAZING - we had Jeff, Adele, Darlene who were FANTASTIC. I loved our workouts, learned a lot!
all in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat - especially knowing what I know now. I loved it!

Room Tip: room 2,3,4 for fantastic ocean breezes (strong)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank Chakra123
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It takes a really special kind of personality to come all the way out to Mexico on a retreat and want to exercise and eat healthy for a week, and those personalities are just the ones you will find at Amansala. This was such an incredible and special trip. I went with my mom, and we weren't entirely sure what to expect, but having done the bikini bootcamp diet at home before, we were really looking forward to it. In our minds we envisioned relaxing on the beach, hanging out, maybe exercising here and there, but it surpassed our expectations in so many ways.
The staff are all so sweet and incredible, and they are there to help as much as they can. Our days were all packed full, with an easy to follow schedule and so many fun activities! The workouts are all optional, no one is going to force you to go to kickboxing if you would rather walk or just lay on the beach. This trip is about getting what YOU want to get out of it. It's so incredibly detoxifying and rejuvenating, and you will feel so inspired by your journey.
There are ups and downs to the trip, sure, just like with any other vacation, but none of the 'downs' would keep me from going back. It's so, so beautiful and healing, and the trainers are all so incredible, that you won't want to miss any of the exercises!
This trip is not a 5 star hotel in Malibu. It is ECO chic, so, it can be seen as 'rustic' or 'run down,' but in reality, it's so adorable, and the cleaning people are in your room taking care of everything for you everyday. So, keep an open mind, because I've never before experienced such a powerful and special place. It's perfect for reconnecting with a best friend, getting time with a close family member, or even just getting away from the rest of the world for some good old 'me' time!
All the people I met were so special, and they all hold an extremely big place in my heart. Everyone was so strong, and you could see people's glow as we left our trip (just this morning, actually!)
I just got home from a week at Amansala about 2 hours ago, and I wouldn't trade my trip for the world. The time I spent reconnecting with my mom, and discovering just how strong I can be, meant the world to me.
This trip is not for the weak of spirit. It's what YOU make out of it. And if you give it a chance, it can change your life.

I will go back in a heartbeat. Worth every cent and more.

Oh, and P.S. the whole 'no lock on the rooms' thing, is SO not an issue. Most people leave their doors open all day, and there's never an issue. There's also a safe for your valuables.

P.S.S. Bring PLENTY of workout clothes. You WILL sweat. It's hot. (Awesome detox!)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family