“Bring your own snorkel”

Playa del Carmen Jungle Tour: Tulum, Cenote Snorkeling, 4x4 Ride and Ziplining
Ranked #3 of 83 things to do in Tulum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Underground water paradise in the Riviera Maya, this visit will certainly be a unique experience like no other, mystical and extreme, you can snorkel or dive in the cavern full of formations.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Colleyville, Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Bring your own snorkel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Intimate tour of 12 people. Climbing down into cave water a bit of a shock both cold and dark. Kan tours took us and we had a great experience. Tour masks leaked but ours worked fine. Climbing and swimming in these caves by flashlight like nothing else. Snack was a full lunch and got to chat with others from around the world. Do not miss this one.

5 Thank rfstat

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Went with my 3 daughters (17,14,11) snorkeling in the refreshing cenote...all enjoyed it. We went at 16h30 at the end of a hot day visiting the ruins in Tulum...that cool fresh water was greatly appreciated. They have a nice setup. Easy parking, easy access to the cave, no waiting, just plain fun. Everybody can do it. Bring your water proof camera :)

3 Thank Alain D
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Beautiful snorkelling experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This local cenote, a fresh underwater spring, was absolutely stunning. The water is impeccably clear and as we snorkel around the cenote we can see turtles and fish enjoying their stunning natural habitat.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Amanda Q
Dublin, Ireland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“The Highlight of our Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

On our recent and first holiday to Mexico my wife and I as well as our 3 daughters(23, 17 & 11) decided to take a few day trips to the various attractions. We decided to engage a private operator who just looked after our party of 5. I had read good reviews of Nick(an American who has lived in the area for many years) from Avatar Adventures and contacted Nick with our plans/desires. We arranged to spend the early morning snorkelling the reef at Akumal with the green turtles. Nick and his driver picked us up at Playacar and were hassled by local taxi drivers because our driver was from Tulum. After much debate we had to taxi out of Playacar to a nearby location and switch transport there. On our way. We got to Akumal nice and early - Nick provided all gear necessary.(NB: We bought 5 new sets of snorkelling gear for the family as we thought we would be snorkelling everyday. This is not necessary as we only really snorkelled on our three day trips and the kit which was provided was excellent and sanitised daily) The swim at Akumal was lovely and lasted about 45 mins. A few were a bit seasick from the waves and swell. From there Nick brought us to Sac Actun but just before we arrived we stopped off for the nicest homemade icepops(popsicles0 ever. He took our orders for sandwiches for lunch at the same place. When we got to Sac Actun there were few there and it was straight down a vertical ladder through a narrow opening into an amazing cave below. As each person entered could hear "Wows" as the cave revealed itself. The water was cool compared to the sea temperature but you warm up in less than a minute(I was the only one without a wetsuit and I hate cold water). The swim in this cenote is breathtaking - truly magical. At the end of our swim you come to a breathtaking end at a point where the roof has collapsed for a small opening where a solitary tree has grown and it is lit up by the shaft of light from above. (A great photo opportunity). This part of the cave also provided great amusement as it had quite a few bats and my wife was sinking as low as possible into the water! after we surfaced we stopped for lunch on the surface. Nick at all times explained the history, flora and fauna of our surroundings and was very informative and never boring.

From there we were due to go home but our 11 year old, who had seen images on the web prior to our holiday, asked if there were any good leaps into the cenotes. Nick said that the Cenote "The Pit" was just nearby and offered to bring us there. This cenote is very popular with the cave divers as it can drop to 400 feet. We were there in 10 minutes. The opening is significantly larger than Sac Actun and the rim is about 20-25 feet above the water. The locals there recommended not to think about it and just jump! I did to be followed next by our very brave 11 ear old and her big sister - a lovely bonus at the end of our 5 hour trip. Our driver drove us back to Playacar.

Our day trip which included everything ended up costing $90 each - this would have been $80 were it not for the Playacar Taxi Mafia payoff! Well worth the little extra for the personal and private attention we experienced. So much so that we organised another day trip to Tulum and another Cenote as well as the Tulum Eco Reserve.

I couldn't recommend Nick highly enough.

D

11 Thank davidjenny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sac Actun Blew me away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was the only cenote we did on the trip, so I might be bias however I don't know if it gets better than this. I really liked the fact that there wasn't many tourists at all here, which made the experience feel more authentic and made us appreciate the natural phenomenon of this cenote more.

Snorkelling through Sac Actun took my breath away. Not due to the coolness of the water (yes, it get's a bit chilly!), but is honestly one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Swimming through little caves with rock formations, having bats fly over you, trees forming in the most odd places, clear water, little islands with trees with the sun shining down in the middle of the cenote etc..

We hired a driver to take us out there where you can then get all the equipment and a local tour guide who will take you through the cenote. Be prepared for a lengthy drive down a dirt road, but totally worth it. If I had the chance again, I would definitely scuba dive as there is a long network of tunnels to be explored here.

Just go do it!