“Miss you guys”
Review of Hostel Sheck

Hostel Sheck
Ranked #9 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I made a few friends in Playa Del Carmen that mentioned this place was clean and friendly. I had planned on staying for a night or two and ended up being there on and off for almost two weeks. Mike the owner and his wife Gabby are really great people. All the staff was friendly and very helpful, and I really do miss those guys! Mike is expanding as we speak but I stayed in the big dorm. The bathrooms are clean and there is hot water. Its an easy bike ride to the beach and there is a lot more to do in town than down by the beach, and its a lot easier to jump on a collective to check out all the local cenotes. Eden cenote was pretty epic. Stay here, and if you have any questions about what to do in the area these guys will point you in the right direction.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I stumbled into tulum to spend a day with a friend of mine who was staying at hostel sheck. Myself and a friend were staying at a 4.5 star resort north of puerto Morelos, south of Cancun. What was a planned day trip to tulum turned into an unexpected 2night 3 day stay at hostel sheck. We ditched are all inclusive to stay here and it was the best part of my vacation.
Now for me. I'm a spoiled princess when it comes to travelling I go to the nice hotels to have the food, drinks, Friendly staff, comfortable sleep and the safe environment.
ALL were found in this little hostel! the first night I had the best sleep of my ENTIRE vacation. We splurged and got the private room/bath. Which I am told was new and it was perfect. Couldn't hear anything. I would definitely pay for this room if I were to return. The hostel is close to things, across the street are the best tacos, and the people were so nice!
The second night I stayed in the dorm room because the room I was in was booked the following night, but it wasn't a good as sleep as I would have liked. I'm a light sleeper.
Try mikes tequila Caesar ! Delicious. I miss this place!
All the best Gaby(spelling?) and Mike!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I didn't want to leave...ever. The owners became like family while I was there. I cannot wait to return and spend as much time as possible at this wonderful establishment. I really have nothing bad to say. The kitchen is huge and the hostel is so close to all the great stuff happening in Tulum. I just wanna get back there now!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Firstly, the guys who own the hostel have done an incredible job and are very welcoming and easy to chat to. The decor is loving, feels almost jungle-esq, hanging hammocks and plenty of tables and chairs and a bar to mingle with fellow travellers.

I got to the hostel at 6.30am abd even though I woke the owner, he was very happy to hold my bags and hold me a bed while I went out to explore the ruins. A side note: grab a colectivo to the ruins. 20 pesos from Av. Tulum, you cant go wrong.

The whole hostel was always clean, plenty of showers, hot water temperamental but in the heat that was never an issue. My only negative is that they sell the dorms as 8 bed and 6 bed but they are actually all under one roof with only a partition separating them so in fact it feel more like a 22 bed dorm. Everyone was respectful to one another so noise was never too loud so slept fine. At 11 they close the bar downstairs and if people want to carry on drinking then they have to leave which is great if you feeling like a quiet one. Free lockers in the room included too.

Free breakfast and coffee in the morning is always good and with free drinking water (by donation) the hostel really does have most bases covered. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 3 March 2014

this place is amazing we ended up staying twice within a month it was that good the second time we came back the owner was kind enough to let us check in at 3:30 in the morning due to horrible bus times, everyone there is so friendly everything is really clean and tidy , free breakfast every morning either eggs or pancakes! can not fault this place would recommend it to everyone if going to tulum!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Hostel Sheck was everything I could have wanted in a hostel - clean, lots of showers, places to relax, kitchen facilities and a great crowd. Beyond that, I really enjoyed the social time around the in-house bar. The owners were personable, and understand their clients.
The hostel is located close to the main street of Tulum, making it easy to book tours and enjoy the local restaurants and night life.
The beach is a 3-5 km. bike ride from Tulum on a separate bike path.
The laid-back atmosphere promotes the independent experiences of the guests. I will return to this hostel next time.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I had heard good things about Hostel Sheck so decided to try it out. When we first arrived at the Hostel there was no clear person working or in charge of checking people in. The atmosphere is fairly laid back with all the backpackers. However the establishment seemed very unorganized and very disinterested in helping us check in or tell us anything about Tulum. Also there is 100 peso deposit. The bed cost 160 pesos so this seemed pretty ridiculous to me. What am I going to do steel your sheets and stow them away in my overstuffed bag? Anyway there are 12 bunk beds in the dorm room so that means 24 people in a room that is sectioned off into three separate areas. There are lockers to use however you need your own lock and they are hardly big enough to put anything but a small backpack in. There is one "bathroom" for all 24 people. The bathroom is also where the shower is. Since the door locks there is usually only one person in there at at time. They do have outside showers as well but they are downstairs with little privacy. Anyway there are plenty of other places to stay for the same price or cheaper which I'm sure will at least have a friendlier staff!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends