“Love this place”

PavoReal Beach Resort Tulum
Ranked #27 of 93 Hotels in Tulum
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

We stayed at this resort for 9 days and we loved everything about it! Very friendly staff, very good food( chef's from Italy). Rooms are cleaned every day,and the resort was clean as well. Nice beach/beautiful waters. There was a nice diving shop,you can rent catamaran's, kayaks were free, we got snorkeling tours with turtles and Cenote- great snorkeling underwater cave. And let's not forget.. The weather was beautiful every day! Loved the disco/bar by the beach very well organized. We will be back again soon! And I recommend this resort to everyone who loves bungalow style resort!

1 Thank Viola A

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Hebrew first
beirut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is the military not a beach resort. Staff are rude and arrogant. Drinks are REALLY bad, food a bit better. We paid $300/ night for this room, which belonged in a hostel, not the amazing beach resort they think they are. The beaches are dirty, they don;t even clean them. The rooms are moldy and have no sound proofing whatsoever.
All in all RUN AWAY from this hotel, it is terrible.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the rooms next to the pool bar, high and bad music is played until 12.30am every nigh...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank mnwa
Matteo_Musazzi, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at PavoReal Beach Resort Tulum, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear MNWA, we would like to thank you for the time you spent with this review, even if it surprised us a lot!
The room You booked was the one we gave you and for the price you paid, everything included and showed. The resort is a small one, right on the beach and the staff on duty really does any effort to make your holiday a perfect one. No one is rude or arrogant, but maybe has to respect some hotel rules. Drinks and food are both Italian and Mexican style and all our guests like it so much. The beach is in a Nature Reserve, where turtles are welcomed. They lay their eggs there on the beach! The staff is usual to clean it each morning except for rainy days. The rooms are just renewed and reopened last year, well cleaned and made in Mexican style. For any complaint our Manager on duty is always at your service. You’ve only to ask for. Best regards,
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stay with friends for 5 days !! Was very very nice !! its very quiet hotel !!! Shows good at nite from 9 pm till 11 pm !!! lovely beach !! Nice massage at beach !!! Meals very very good !! Italian chef its very very good !!! its Mexican European Resort !!!! Dont lessen bad reviews !! of course its not 5 star hotel but i will give 4 !!!!

Room Tip: all rooms very good they all at the beach !!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Matteo_Musazzi, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at PavoReal Beach Resort Tulum, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Betty1970,
First of all, thank you for your rating. Honestly our Resort is a 4 star, so you gave the right 4!! Thank you from all of us and guess see you again!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

FIrst of all I want to state the positives. The beach was amazingly beautiful, although it was so full of algae that you could barely step in without getting your feet tangled up. I overpaid for this resort due to my mistake of booking last minute, so needless to say, it was not worth my money.
See reasons below:

1- From the minute we arrived, the concierge gave us the impression that we arrived at the wrong place. His unwillingness to answer specific questions about car rentals, outside money exchange places and store locations, made us leery from the start. He answered everything in a vagueness style that must've taken years to craft, all I expect, trying to squeeze a tip in order to give proper answer.
We felt that we just fell into a resort trap, and had another 5 days of it to look forward to.

2- The food. It was just not good. Bread this, bread that, oily pasta dishes, and just not quality. If you didn't get up in time for breakfast (730 - 930a) you were just screwed! There was no food available until 1230, which was lunch time!! (Lunch was 1230 - 230P). They said that there were snacks at the pool bar, but when we went to the pool bar, all they had was a basket of dried up bread and pastries that did not appeal at all to the naked eye, and a few oranges and apples. As the days went by, we learned that they just took the morning left over bread and pastry to the pool area. No sandwiches, no mini-meals. The one highlight of the whole food experience was the taco making guy in the main cafeteria.
I witnessed a guess arriving from the pyramids go completely nuts because he and his wife could not get a meal at 3pm, not even a decent snack, this ALL INCLUSIVE place had nothing but a few dried up pieces of fruit and bread at the pool bar. He was demanding to speak to the manager, and the aforementioned shady concierge kept giving him the run around. Ultimately he raised a ruckus and brought the basket of lousy fruits from the pool bar and threw it on the front desk and demanded to speak to the manager and an immediate refund. It was an ugly and embarrassing scene....

3 - THE DRINKS. I am an all-inclusive veteran, having been to many of them all over the caribbean, so the minute they told me at the bar that I had no choice of beer but one no - brand (lager or dark) no cans or bottles, so you couldn't take any to your room -- I was further disappointed. NO BEER IN YOUR ROOM FRIDGE, at an ALL INCLUSIVE! But if you're thinking by now that I'm a spoiled resort brat, how's this: Two pool side bars each at one end of the resort, but BEER WAS AVAILABLE AT ONLY ONE OF THE TWO BARS!!! That's right. If you happened to be tanning at the other end of the beach and wanted to have a cold one, you had to walk all the way across, because they only served beer on one bar! It was I think, their way of rationing it. I won't even talk about the hard liquor, because it was so awful and that it is not worth even mentioning. On the second day I told my girl we needed to leave the confines of this terrible service place in order to get a proper drink, and we went into the town. I shouldn't have to go into town for a drink when I'm staying at an all inclusive.

4 - ENTERTAINMENT. I'm sorry to put it this way, but it is the most accurate. They have a bunch of untalented kids that must not be getting paid, because you can get real cheap talent from young people anywhere. They had no talent, no animation program other than a silly volleyball game every day. This wild bunch did nothing to animate but just walk around the pool and beach areas, and in the evenings, after putting on a tasteless, un-artistic, less than high school grade show, just gathered by the pool bar to drink their beach blues away.

5 - GUEST SERVICES. I had an incident in which I tried to get fresh beach towels. We had left the old ones on the beach chairs, and were told we needed to bring them if we wanted new ones. I went to our chairs to retrieve them and brought them to the towel hut. We happily took our fresh towels and found a new spot for us on the beach. A few minutes passed and the towel boy/entertainment artist/restaurant host came at us with a uniformed security guard, on the beach, accusing us of stealing two towels. ACCUSING US OF STEALING TOWELS in front of everyone at the beach! Demanding our room numbers and names. Needless to say, we were insulted and embarrassed by the treatment we were getting from this individual, so I went to the front desk and demanded to speak to the manager. As I was explaining the situation, the guy showed up at the front desk with the security guard. The manager chewed him up for his actions, but I wanted the incident investigated. The guy said that an Italian guest told him we had taken their towels, so since they cater to Italians here (I learned the place is owned by an Italian company), he took her word as the gospel and went after us. He made it a point to says the other guest was Italian in his explanation! On my face!! No joke, no exaggeration.
I asked the manager to send staff to both rooms to see who had extra towels. It was very important for me to clear my name. She did, and the staff came back with the information that the Italian lady had two extra beach towels in her room. I gave both the manager and the staff beach clown police a piece of my mind. The apologized, but the damage was done. To put it in her own words, It should have never happened!

Stay away if you're looking for good food and drinks, Stay away if you want to be close to Tulum town center. It's a cab ride away, and cabs want the equivalent of almost $20 U.S. dollars for every trip. I don't understand how this place is (or was) rated #32 in the Trip Advisor ratings, out of over 60 places to rate.
To cap it all off, I made a deal with an outside cab driver to pick me up and take me to the airport. When I went to the shady front desk concierge to make a phone call to my driver, he started telling me how I shouldn't use any cab drivers the hotel didn't know, how it was against policy and kept telling me horror stories. I kept asking for the phone. Finally, when I asked him flat out if he was refusing to let me use the phone, he made the call.... For a fee. When I told the story to the driver, he explained that the front desk of the hotel is on the take with the cabs they allow to pick up passengers, so they grossly overcharge, and discourage people from hopping in other cabs, even though these are the same type of licensed vehicles and drivers....

By the time we left this place, we had the unsavory feeling that every one was out to squeeze a buck out of us

4 Thank Eddie_Beemer
Dear Eddie_Breemer,
First of all thank you for spending your time in rating our Resort.
Second: we would like to recall that our little Resort is marketed and known as it is: small, cozy, directly on the beach and in front of the Caribbean Sea, surrounded by the Mexican jungle, with great Italian food and Mexican, with rooms on the beach with typical Mexican decor, 10 minutes from Tulum ( a taxi costs about 15 USD, but are the official rates of the local taxi company ). Our Resort is not an enormous hotel with 800/1000 rooms, where guests are welcomed in an " industrial " and not personalized way, away from the beach and where a taxi is also about 15 USD for 10 km.
We’re sorry for not having meet your needs, but perhaps your style of holiday is more suitable for a large hotel chain and not to a small resort where every guest is a special guest .
We do not want to mention the episode of extreme rudeness of the customer who literally dared to spit his snack on the fruit platter simply because he didn’t like it.
Good manners are the best rule of living together and we love our guests who know them. In any case , we appreciate any suggestions or comments when it helps us to improve our service.
Krakow, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

We spend five days at PavoReal Beach Resort and it was great! The staff was really helpful and nice. The hotel's beach is very lovely with a lot of palm trees. There are two bars near the beach, so you can always have some drinks (Pina Colada was ok). Also, everyday there were 3 delicious meals. In the morning we ate breakfast about 9 o'clock, they have great fruits: pineapples, melons, watermelons, papaya, bananas and so on, french tosts, omlets, good bacon, nice caffee and VERY GOOD donats, muffins, bread, cakes... they made them everyday in the morning so they were always fresh (sometimes even brought right from the oven). At two o'clock we went for the lunch and there was always something good to choose, fresh fish, vegetables, french fries, pastas, fruits and amazing desserts! They also can make fajitas, they have guacamole, beans and chips. For the dinner there was always A LOT OF FOOD!!! Everynight were was a special dinner, for example mexican or italian... There was soup, delicious apetizers (a lot of them), fish, meat, of course friuts, awesome desserts... i can't even describe this all.
Once we went for a mexican dinner (we had to make a reservation), it was ok, but nothing special.
Room was clean, with a nice balcony, we had some problems with toilet only.
We had some problems on our first night, because the recepcionist said we didn't pay for the stay when we already did! So we paid twice because we were very tired and they didn't let us talk things over in the morning. On the second day the told us we were right and apologized and gave us the money back but anyway...
Great thing was that they made a birthday cake for my mother (deliciuos chocolate cake) for free!
All in all it was a nice stay, great for a short, five days break!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Julia K
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

After our first night, after seeing how basic the room was and after being kept up all night by a relentlessly loud 'show' put on by a bunch of talentless fools in the ampitheater, I knew I had made a mistake and asked for a refund. The manager was adamant that I would not be given one. I had to endure two weeks of these loud 'shows' every single night from 9-11, and couldn't sleep early even though I was still badly jetlagged (for me, 11pm Mexican time was 6am Paris time--I was dying!) I was moved eventually to the furthest end of the hotel, you can still hear the music. Rooms are not soundproofed at all and I could even hear the man beside us snoring! How romantic! Food is just awful--heavily oily, cheap, industrial high-carb fare for the masses. I had to do a lot of work, unfortunately, and wifi was terrible. No one on staff told me you could buy a wifi card even after I complained about the bad wifi. A guest eventually told me, but I lost a day of work! To top it all off, I had my laptop stolen from the reception area as I packed the taxi to the airport and the staff basically shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do. Then they accused me of 'breaking a pillow'....What?? HORRIBLE PLACE! Regret not staying in Tulum proper!

Room Tip: Just go somewhere else!
5 Thank hoyden666
Dear Hoyden666 , first of all we would like to thank you for the time taken to write this review.
We’re sorry if your room was not of your liking: it is the policy of the Resort to provide the customer the booked room and, if available, on request, you can upgrade by paying a small difference . We can offer sea view Superior and Junior Suites rooms, and far from the shows. The front desk manager could change your room if required.
The food is excellent, as confirmed by reviews of other guests, and the kitchen staff offers personalized meals when required. In the meantime we thank you for the suggestion and we will strengthen the wi-fi.
Regarding his pc, we regret the incident, even if it surprises us that may have been stolen while climbing into the cab and in front of the security guys. The only thing to do would be a complaint to the local police authorities.
Our small Resort is a wonderful compromise between the cabanas in Tulum and the Riviera Maya Hoteles with 800/1000 rooms (which perhaps would be your ideal holiday ) , and offers a personalized service to each guest.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I'd never been to Yucatan before. A great friend of mine gave me a lot of coaching and told me where to go and stay. All the places she and her friends recommended were booked solid. I found this place on booking.com and it was highly rated. Plus the price was nice. So I booked five nights here.

I didn't know the place was all-inclusive. I thought it was just breakfast. The restaurants are decent, but after a few days the food gets boring. I prefer to eat at haunts where the locals go, or prepare my own food when I can. You get an incredible value from this place. So good, you can really afford to eat out lunch and dinner every day if you want to do so. The breakfast was fresh fruit, coffee, juices, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, an omelet station and an incredible variety of pastries. At lunch the omelet station converts to a taco station. The guy there is very nice and made some killers tacos. At dinner he would make things like carbonara at the station. The only seafood on the menu the entire time I was there was I think tilapia. I can't stand tilapia. I wanted to have shrimp, lobster and maybe a more local not farm-raised fish. The chef is Sicilian and a very nice fellow. He prepares good food too. One day they had eggplant Parmesan at lunch. It was excellent. One of the restaurants is cafeteria style. Another one, Coba, you make reservations and there's a single entree on the menu. It's a little more formal and adds some variety.

I believe the place is owned by Italians and the hotel manager is Italian. He's a very attentive fellow and overall the place is clean as a whistle. Also they have very stout security so you don't have to worry about that aspect of being in Mexico. The place is run like a tight ship.

My room was incredible. I had a sea view with a beautiful small balcony. The beach is very nice, and there are numerous swimming pools all over the grounds. The bathroom was very modern, and I loved the toiletries they provided. The skin lotion was especially good. It had a funky smell but the stuff moisturized like nothing I've ever seen. The shampoo was also excellent. And the bar soap.

A nice feature of this place is that the electricity turns off when you leave the room. So it's eco-friendly/green. The flat screen TV was nice and there were a few English language channels. BBC World News was also available. They do such a great job of presenting the news. Sometimes the channels were intermittent.

The free wi-fi is only available in the lobby area. It's not consistently reliable. For a fee you can purchase high-speed using a website that your phone or laptop will take you to. I chose not to do that. I'm a little bit spoiled in the US with my whole house high speed wi-fi.

The beach is very beautiful and well appointed with lots of thatch umbrellas, lounge chairs and little tables. There are a few bars on the beach and all your drinks are free. That's cool, but I like call brands. Stolichnaya, Sauza Hornitos, etc. You won't get that here. I actually bought a fifth of tequila and two six packs of Superior not knowing drinks were included. One comment about the beach: there is structure and grass all the way to the shore. If you're looking for 50-100 yards of turquoise water and pure white sand under it before you get to grass or reef type structure, you won't find it here. I like the fact that it's natural, but I also like my pristine Caribbean beach like you get in Tulum proper. I snorkeled out almost to the reef one day and it was quite interesting. The shore is very clean and nice.

A couple of fine points: it's 10 minutes north of the ruins by car. Not really in Tulum proper. One advantage of this is that you are a short walk away from the very amazing Casa Cenote and a bar right across the street with a view of the ocean. That was one of my favorite things I did when I was there. Casa Cenote is amazing. Crystal clear to the bottom. A good workout if you snorkel the whole thing. Teeming with fish. Some cave-like structures that are completely submerged.

There was entertainment at night at an outdoor ampitheater on the premises. Once they presented an abbreviated Rocky Horror Picture Show. Very entertaining. At the end the performers got us all out on the dance floor and we did a little salsa dancing. That was cool and fun.

The bread and butter of this place seemed to be large European tour groups that rolled in on giant buses. Some were families, some were couples.

Depending on what you're looking for, this could be the perfect place for you. If you're the type that just wants to relax and hang around the resort, it might be perfect. Also excellent for families with children. I'd stay there again if I could get a breakfast only arrangement or non-inclusive price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank bunnyholmes
Dear Bunnyholmes, thank you very much for a so high rating!
We’re pleased to know that you liked your room with sea view and its facilities, the beach, the entertainment staff and the location, very close to the Tulum Ruins. Yes, it’s the perfect place for relaxing, hanging around the Resort. It’s also the perfect place to go on a trip discovering the Yucatan Peninsula and more.