“Very nice experience”
Review of Calm Cabins Tulum

Calm Cabins Tulum
Ranked #93 of 134 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I came to calm cabins tulum in August 2012 and after I came back in April 2013 because in Dora's place I feel like at home. She makes you feel really comfortable and the garden is beautifull and a place to have some relaxing time.

The hostal is not a luxury place but it has all you need to spend some days in Tulum and enjoy all the surroundings. And the price is the best you can find in Tulum if you are looking for a quite place.

Totally recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 April 2013

The hostel feels like a community and a home.. I spent a couple of days there, spending a lot of time with other guests and the incredibly warm dueña Dora.. Calm Cabins is in an excellent location, from which you can easily reach the beach in Tulum, other beaches up or down the coast, cenotes, etc. Breakfast is provided, free of charge, whenever you wake up, and is always something different. Will definitely come back there when in the area again, and highly recommend it!

Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We stayed at Palapas Tulum for 7 nights. We were very pleased with the accommodations and the hosts were extremely helpful and friendly. The included breakfast was a nice additional feature, and the property was peaceful and well-maintained. We found the location to be convenient, and right around the corner is a bike rental (the best way to get around Tulum). And we loved the cats!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B N
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Seriously. Find somewhere else to stay. There are so many nice places to stay in Tulum...
This place is werid. Pierre is extremely rude with the guests. Beds are of the worse kind and breakfast is not good at all!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank gnows
PalapasTulum, Owner at Calm Cabins Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Sorry that you did not feel satisfied with our service. Most of our guests enjoy their stay at our budget place, We kindly recomend you to look for places according to your needs and that you express your fellings only for yourself, Our place is very well know because of our breakfast, We try to satisfied our guests and cook them what they like but it is necessary that people make their comments when they are with us and not when they already left.

Reviewed 1 February 2013

My family and I stayed at Pierre's place, which was far from the center of this small town (a 15 minute walk). After reading all the reviews, I was so excited to meet Pierre and taste his wonderful breakfasts. What a disappointment. First, we were directed to the hostel part, which honestly looked like rooms surrounding a junk pile. That is where Pierre picked us up. I know now why Pierre and Dora have their guests meet there. Because if they didn't meet you, you'd never walk the 20 minute walk from the hostel to the rooms at Pierre's place. On the walk, I realized that Pierre's English was poor, so we spoke French instead, exclusively. During the walk, upon asking questions about distance and safety, he got very defensive - which I should have taken as a sign of what was to come. Our room, albeit large, was clean except all the dead insects on top of the one mosquito-netted bed. The other two beds had none. My son woke up to dozens of bites on his back the next morning. Pierre told us to go to the store and buy a insect bomb to bomb the room. Come on, Pierre. The quality of the beds? ..you could feel every individual spring in the the children's beds. I spoke to Pierre about it, and he said, "That's the way they are made in Mexico." Really Pierre? And the delicious breakfasts I read about here? I had not one. The first morning was a flour tortilla with melted cheese inside (the worst quesadilla I've had.) I asked for tea but I wasn't able to finish it. The next morning, I asked for tea again, and Pierre replied, "It's not a good idea since you didn't finish your tea from yesterday." Really?!?! That morning we were served scrambled eggs as well as the next. Adequate is about the best adjective to describe the breakfast. I asked Pierre which cenotes he likes and would recommend. He said, "I won't recommend any to you since if you don't like it, you'll blame me." Oh, and the shower? For four people? There was about 1 minute total of hot water. All four of us literally showered together otherwise we'd be in ice cold water.
I was so disappointed by Palapas Tulum. After what everyone wrote here, I thought I would have a lovely experience. I felt like I read reviews for a completely different hotel. And the price? For what we got? Terrible! We paid $100/night and had to pay in advance with no return of money. No wonder. Of course, people would find somewhere else to stay after the first night. And the exchange rate was 12 pesos/dollar but they charged me 13 pesos. So instead of paying 3600 pesos, we paid 3900. It added insult to injury. On the beach, at Zazil Kiin, they had a room for four (remember, on the beach) for 760pesos/night. And Pierre's? 1300 pesos/night. You do the math. I felt like I was duped. Palapas Tulum was by far the worst part of our entire 8 day vacation in Mexico.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Janelle W
Reviewed 3 December 2012

As the title suggests Palapas Tulum is the place to stay if you want some time to decompress and recharge. I, like many others who have left a review, stayed longer than planned because, well, the place just felt very good on my being. In fact I found the garden so therapeutic I spent much of my time lazing in the hammock. Yes, it is rustic, but charming nonetheless, and the operators, Dora and Pedro, are serving from their hearts. In fact at one point I was not feeling so well and Dora went out of her way to help me with some effective alternative therapies. I highly recommend a stay. Not only is it all of the above, but it is so close to everything while feeling away from it all. It is a special little place and there are definitely good beings seen and unseen hanging out in that garden. :)

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We originally booked for 2 nights at palapas tulum but ended up staying for two weeks. Its like peacefull garden of tranquility in the town.The accomodation is basic, but it's clean and in the centre of town so it's a lot easier to budget for food and general living costs than if you are down by the beach. the owner Dora is brilliant, nothing is ever too much trouble. If you're backpacking I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple