“Great affordable place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bay Area California
“Great affordable place”
Reviewed 12 May 2008

Nice rooms. The refrigerator was a big help. A large purified water container (20 liters ?) was provided that was a big help too. The owners spent a good amount of personal time recommending places to visit and eat. Their personal attention exceeded that of the other hotel owners we encountered during our two weeks in the Yucatán. There's plenty of parking in the garage and on the street. Note that the hotel is not anywhere near the beach, rather it is in town of Tulum, a charming small Mexican town with a number of good restaurants. Although it would be nice to be right on the beach, there are a number of positive points to being in the town, like walking access to restaurants and grocery stores. Also, there are a number of beaches, lagoons, and sinkholes that are dispersed throughout the region that are close by, so why stay isolated on one beach?

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MeLikeTravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 6 May 2008

I was on my honeymoon traveling around the Yucatan peninsula and decided to stay at Posada Luna Del Sur for 3 nights during my trip at Tulum. It is possibly the best decision I have made.

True to what others have shared, the friendly and gracious service that the owners (Janet and Jack) has extended to us were exceptional. Whilst the inn's location are not next to the sea the town location provides easy access to many eateries (ask Janet for her favorites).

To both my wife and I, what distinguishes Posada Luna del sur from the rest stems from the love between Janet and Jack which is shared and felt by all their guests. The warm smiles and travel tips that they generously dish out constantly makes me feel like an old friend or even that of a family member.

Posada Luna Del Sur has indeed became our home away from home and I know that we will definitely return when we are back in Tulum.

Catherine and Alex
Singapore
2008

To Janet and Jack, thank you for your hospitality and we hope that our paths cross soon

• Liked — The service of the hosts are amazing
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank alexleekanghao
Denver CO
Reviewed 18 April 2008

My brother and I are not the type that stay in mega-resorts. We like to feel the culture within which we travel, and staying in a small posada in the heart of Tulum was a great idea.
The proprietors of this facility (Janet and Jack) are kind and caring, and helped us with everything from the dive shop (Maya Diving-which was also excellent) to restaurants and points of interest, to laundry, to internet, to EVERYTHING! They are English-speakers, so that's an added plus for those of you that are Espanol-challenged. The entire hotel is safe and secure, so there's no worry about that.
The rate was good, the room was spotless, the beds were comfortable, we had bottled water, a safe, a fridge and A/C.....everything we could have possibly needed.
The Continental Breakfast they provide gives you the opportunity to eat light and early, and hit the dives or whatever else you might be doing with some fruit and croissants in your stomach, and a smile on your face.
We loved it and would not hesitate to recommend it to all you "normal people" that want to stay in a place where you're actually IN MEXICO.....not some "compound" that feels like Disneyland...and you can walk to everything in town.
Thank you Janet and Jack....you helped make a wonderful trip that much better!

• Liked — proximity to town
  • Disliked — there was nothing I didn't like about it.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank DivingDude
Connecticut
Reviewed 8 April 2008

My wife and I flew to Tulum for my brother's wedding. We are expecting a baby; therefore we chose a hotel that included most of the amenities you would expect from a 5 star resort hotel. Thank the maker, we had air conditioning, wireless internet, cable TV, 24hr electricity and a refridgerator.
The owners, Jack and Janet, really made us feel welcome and provided us with a detailed map of all the places to eat and where to avoid. All of their advise was correct and we relayed it to the whole wedding party.
If we ever return to Tulum, Mexico we will not stay any where else. Our experience was more akin to staying with family then being guests at a hotel. Thank you Jack and Janet.

• Liked — All the Amenities. Jack and Janet!!!
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HeatherDepp
Reviewed 3 April 2008

This was a great place to stay and the beds were so fresh- smelling. It sounds weird, I know, but it reminded me of the "Snuggles" commercial here in the US where the toy bear jumps into the linens. Very restful sleep.

It really is a lovely little gem. Jack and Janet are fantastic people who are very welcoming. You show up and are greeted with a smile. They will give you insight as to what to do (e.g ocean-front spots that are delightful and not to over-run with tourists) and yummy restaurants in town (my boyfriend loved...LOVED the Argentina steak place that they recommended.

Jesus fixes these very awesome towel art sculptures that are so fun to guess which one he will do next. (I love the elephant, myself). He is very nice.

If you go, really look at the details that they put into the place. I felt like I was in an artist's home. And the garden in the back is beautiful at sunset.

Oh! and they had herbal/ organic soaps. Very good! : )

• Liked — The beds, cost, and hosts
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Red_Hopper
Philadelphia
Reviewed 30 March 2008

My wife and I stayed at this lovely posada for three nights. The room was pretty, very clean, quiet, and extremely comfortable. Jack and Janet were great, with plenty of advice and knowledge about the area. We took them up on a suggestion to rent bikes from a great guy name Hugo at Iguana Bikes, who escorted us to Dos Ojos Cenote which was a fabulous place: we had visited two other Cenotes but this was beyond belief. Not only were Jack and Janet full of advice acting more like lovely inn keepers than hotel owners, Jack even helped me out by calmly searching through my car after I had given up sure that I had lost my wallet. He remained calm and encouraging, and of course found my wallet relieving me (and my wife) of considerable anxiety. Jesus, their assistant, was also fabulous and his towel masterpieces are fun works of art. We'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Jack, Janet, Jesus
  • Disliked — Everything was great.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank wrphd
UK
Reviewed 26 March 2008

As first time visitors to Mexico, my boyfriend and I really had no idea what to expect from hotels in the area of Tulum.

After reading what felt like thousands of reviews, I decided Posanda Luna Del Sur sounded like the place for us to stay for 2 nights, before heading to a wedding in Cancun. Obviously, the price was a big draw, but also all the great stories about Janet!

I'm so pleased to feedback that we really couldn't have been any well looked after. My boyfriend and I are very much used to our creature comforts and had just come from the luxury of the Hyatt Regency in Cancun, but after staying a the Posanda we are now complete converts to the more cosy B&B!

Janet was an absolute angel, who made sure we knew exactly where to go and where to eat. I don't think we spent more than £2.50 per night!! The breakfasts were excellent, with Janet and Jack holding court over a bowl of fresh fruit and bread.

We had rented a car, so we drove to the beach in the day, which took about 10 mins. As this hotel isn't on the beach it means that at night it's really peaceful.

This really is a gem to find...and make sure you look out for your swan shaped towels!!

Stayed February 2008