“Amazing Every Time”

GreenLeadersGold level
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Amazing Every Time”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is our second visit to Posada Lunda del Sur, and both trips have been phenomenal. The rooms are clean and relaxing, the staff are always helpful and cheerful, and Tom is an amazing resource; he tells you the best places to eat, and the best trips to go on, and can set you up with excellent guides. From everything to massages in your room, to kayaking in the biosphere, to bike rentals for trips to the beach, Tom's got you covered. Our first time in Tulum we booked massages before we arrived, outside the hotel -- such a mistake! I'm only booking through Tom in the future.

One of the best things about staying here is that you never have to wonder if the food will be good at the restaurant you selected, or hiring a guide will be worth it, or if you're wasting or time and money -- Tom's done all of that work for you, and it's a sure thing every time. You get personal recommendations, which allows you to wring as much happiness and fun out of your vacation as possible without wasting time or money. I can't recommend Posada Luna del Sur strongly enough. We're going back next year.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for the second time this past Christmas, and as expected, we had a FANTASTIC time. Tom is the best host and incredibly helpful when you are planning excursions or would like a recommendation of where to eat. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Tulum. The breakfast is delicious, the rooms are spacious and clean, the staff is friendly, and the neighbourhood is lovely. Book this hotel - you won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

It was my first time in Tulum and I'm so happy I stayed at Posada Luna del Sur! If Tulum and local life if what you want to truly experience, this is where you want to stay. Located in Tulum Pueblo, walking distance from all the shops, restaurants and bars in town.
The hotel is really cute, very clean and the rooms are quite spacious! All of the staff is very friendly and the breakfasts prepared on the rooftop terrasse were all delicious. Gareth the owner is really nice and welcoming! Always ready to suggest cool spots in Tulum and around to check out, making my experience that much more authentic and amazing!
I would definitely recommend Posada Luna del Sur to my friends.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Evableva
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I love this place. This was my 4th time staying there and I keep going back yearly, it's just perfect really.

The price is affordable unlike many places on the beach, and you get so much value. It may be in town but it's only a short taxi ride away from the beach and right next to great restaurants, bars, and other amenities. Being on the beach is cool for sure, but I actually prefer being in town.

The rooms are super clean and have everything you need... air conditioning, hot water, a fridge, sink, dishes, cutlery, fresh drinking water, a safe and more... You're totally set to prepare food & snacks for the beach and relax there in comfort. Wifi up on the terrace is good if you need it, it even reaches down into a couple of the rooms. Being tucked away just off the road surely makes it way quieter than all the other hotels right on the main, you sleep well. What more could you ask for?

Breakfast is killer. It used to be included in the price which was even better, but it's still totally affordable and prob the best breaky in town, authentic fresh made Mexican dishes... Or you can get the basics like eggs & bacon too. The breakfast is big enough to keep going well into the day. You can ask for it spicy at your own risk, fresh habanero is so good.

More than any of that, it comes down to your host Gareth/Tom. He's just got you covered. Tips on where to go, where to eat, what to see, arranging taxis to get you back to the airport, organizing adventure tours for you, even giving you sunscreen when you run out, always checking on you to make sure you're well, and just being awesome.

Anyone he sets you up with, be it a taxi driver, tour guide or dive master, has been screened by him personally to make sure they're solid... I've only had very positive experiences on all of my excursions arranged in-house. I highly suggest you inquire about some tours/dives/site seeing, let them take care of you rather than fishing around in town, he tends to work with the same people and they're all super cool.

Any successful business arguably comes down to solid customer service, and that's where these guys take the cake, for me it always feels like a home away from home... This a great place to stay at to enjoy and discover all the beauty Tulum has to offer. I'll be back next year again for sure.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank mike c
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed in Posada Luna del Sur for one week. The staff are very helpful and approachable, the breakfast was fantastic, and the rooms were well maintained and clean. We enjoyed Tulum immensely and our stay at Posada Luna del Sur made our travels all the more enjoyable.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teagan2o14
PLDSrManagement, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Hello Teagan,

Thanks for your review. It was a pleasure meeting you and Byron in December. I am thrilled you had a great time and that the hotel met your standards. I hope you guys come back one day and stay with me!

Thanks again for your kind review,
Tom
Tulum, Mexico
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This is the best place I've found in Tulum town. If you want to experience town life, which makes a good contrast to the beach, this is the place to come. Tom is as friendly and knowledgeable as everyone says, the rooms are spacious and comfortable and the hotel's quietly situated just off the main street. Breakfast on the roof terrace is a great way to start the day.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We recently had an outstanding experience at Posada Luna del Sur. The proprietor (Tom) went above and beyond to make our trip fabulous and memorable. I cannot emphasize enough that his service and hospitality were among the best I have ever experienced -- arranging cabs and other reservations for us even when we had moved on to a hotel at the beach and providing a comprehensive map of the town with his favorite shopping and restaurant spots. We tried many of his recommendations and they were top-notch! The hotel has a beautiful outdoor roof, where a delicious breakfast is served every morning -- try the huevos rancheros for an authentic start to the day. The rooms were comfortable, though not lavish, and included lots of nice "extras" for the Tulum area -- including free wifi, purified drinking water, a safe, etc. Overall, I cannot wait for the opportunity to stay with Tom at the Posada again.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are lovely