“Lovely stay in Tulum town”

Posada Luna del Sur
Ranked #6 of 101 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at Posada Luna del Sur as part of our honeymoon. Graham, the owner's father, was looking after the hotel during our stay so he welcomed us when we arrived and was very helpful and friendly throughout our time in Tulum. While we had already sorted out excursions in advance of getting to Tulum we were offered help with arranging outings with a local provider, and the map that we were given with the owner's recommendations for restaurants etc was very helpful too.

The hotel is in a good central location in Tulum town but is nice and quiet. Our room (No. 6) was fairly basic but lovely, with a balcony looking over the hotel's small garden area. The rooftop terrace was great too, with free wifi and a nice area to chill out (and to have breakfast each morning). I would definitely recommend this hotel for an enjoyable, peaceful break.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Breony

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Posada was a our oasis in Tulum! This boutique hotel has 12 rooms, most of which face a beautiful courtyard. It is situated in a very accessible location on a quiet side street right off the main thoroughfare of Tulum and is within easy walking distance of shopping, restaurants, and stores. Its just a short taxi or car ride to the Tulum beaches but at Posada you pay much less than you would at the beach. The hotel offers many amenities including authentic Mexican breakfast every morning served under the palapa on the breezy rooftop. The rooftop lounging area is open all day so you can relax, read, check your email, etc...under the shade while enjoying the breezes from the ocean. The hotel is very safe with 24/7 security and guest only access to the compound. Our rooms were on the 2nd floor with a small balcony overlooking the courtyard. The rooms are very comfortable and clean with AC, ceiling fans, potable water, daily maid service, small kitchen with refrigerator and sink. The owners, Tom and Graham, are a father son team and will bend over backwards for their guests. They have lived in the Tulum area for many years and offer a treasure trove of local information. I highly recommend Posada. Its is a clean, safe, comfortable, convenient, and reasonably priced hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms 8 and 9 on 2nd floor are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

First let me say this review is just shy of a year overdue! Though let it be known it has nothing to do with Posada Luna del Sur, Tom, or the rest of the wonderful staff! This is entirely the result of my procrastination over finding the words to best and most accurately describe our stay. And letting distractions get in the way of things like this that needed to get done. So for keeping Tom and Posada Luna del Sur waiting so long for this review, I apologize.

My wife and I visited Tulum last June for our honeymoon. It also happened to be our first real vacation in years! We really needed this trip! She had wanted to visit Tulum for a couple years, so when it came time to pick a spot for the honeymoon, I knew where we should go! I did some research and digging around, mostly here on Tripadvisor, and kept on seeing all these 5 star reviews for Posada Luna del Sur. Naturally I took notice, and literally read through every single posted review. Not only was I impressed by the reviews, but I was taken back by the fact that Tom or another representative had responded to every single review. I didn’t have a lot of experience with Trip Advisor prior to this trip, so I’m not sure if this was the norm, but I thought it was very impressive and spoke volumes about the kind of place Posada Luna del Sur is. Once I had made up my mind, I talked it over with my wife to be and she was immediately sold on it.

For the both of us, as much as we were looking forward to spending time on the beach, we didn’t want to stay on the beach. We both like to experience the people and substance that makes a place all its own. We wanted to be in town with the locals, the businesses, the food establishments, and be able to freely come and go from where we stayed. Posada Luna del Sur was the perfect spot for this. Right in Tulum Pueblo, great location, easy to get to everything, and only a couple KM off the beach. From what I’ve been told, Tulum is one of the last authentic Mexican towns, that despite it’s tourism, it hasn’t been commercialized. Yes, Tulum as a whole will be very hospitable to ensure you have a memorable visit, but they’ll do so in a way to preserve the real Tulum.

Posada Luna del Sur was the absolute most perfect home away from home when visiting Tulum. The property itself was just the right size, with three floors. The exterior was beautifully maintained and very clean. Nothing ever appeared messy or out of place. The first floor had rooms, the second floor had rooms, and the third floor was the kitchen and eating area for the amazing breakfast available each morning! The third floor also served as a rooftop lounge to relax, and it’s where Tom’s office is. Our room was located on the second floor. When I made our reservation, I had mentioned the purpose of this trip was for our honeymoon. Tom booked us into their honeymoon suite without me even having to ask!

As a side note, Posada Luna del Sur is an intimate, quiet hotel. This isn’t the kind of spot for 20 year old co-ed spring breakers that are looking for a near by alternative to Cancun. No one is loud, obnoxious, or unruly here. So if you came to the hotel acting a fool, I can’t imagine you’ll hit things off with Tom too well. Just remember to be respectful of the other guests and the staff that’s catering to you. Save the noise and the mess for the bars and clubs.

Our honeymoon suite had everything we could ask for. There was a small seating area just inside the door. There was a kitchenette to the right with a small fridge, coffee maker, coffee in the fridge, 5 gallon bottled water dispenser (for drinking, brushing teeth, making coffee), and assorted utensils/cups/plates/bowls. We had a very comfortable king size bed, with a small tv and vanity opposite it. The bathroom contained the toilet and the shower, and I must say the shower was extremely spacious! There was a small balcony seating area that overlooked Posada Luna del Sur’s inner courtyard area as I’d call it. Very nice area to sit and enjoy your coffee in the morning! Throughout the room were closets/cabinets to help make it easier to organize your belongings and keep clothes on hangers. There’s a safe in the room for your valuables. And last but certainly not least, there are ceiling fans and a great modern AC unit with digital remote. I love the climate in Tulum, but at night when you want to get some rest, the AC is such a necessity!

Every day the room gets cleaned up and replenished with everything you need. If you request fresh towels or fresh sheets, it’ll be taken care of. The woman who took care of our room did a wonderful job. We couldn’t have been happier or felt better taken care of.

As I mentioned earlier, fresh, made to order breakfast is offered every morning. This wasn’t included in the cost of our stay, but it was amazing and well worth what little it did cost. Items like chilaquiles, omelets, and fresh fruit. I highly recommend you take full advantage of it! My wife and I looked forward to it every morning!

Perhaps the most valuable item you get with your stay at Posada Luna del Sur is Tom’s personalized map of Tulum. This map is heavily detailed with all of his recommendations for restaurants, bars, shops, beach spots, and cenotes. Not to mention, other necessities like pharmacies, markets, and banks. If you utilize the map like Tom hopes you will, like we did, it’ll be noticeably used by the end of your trip, with notes jotted down, heavy creases, and bent corners!

Besides the map, Tom is also available throughout the day if you need anything. He’s a wealth of knowledge not only when it comes to Tulum, but for the entire Quintana Roo state. So if there’s places or towns you’ve heard of, that perhaps you’re curious about, ask him. My wife and I were curious about visiting Valladolid, which is a city west of Tulum, in the neighboring Yucatan state, known for it’s Spanish influence dating back to the 1500s. Tom not only told us a bunch, but he also printed off many pages worth of sites he recommended we visit. Our day trip to Valladolid ended up being one of the highlights of our entire trip!

What follows are a few helpful points and favorite spots of ours…..

- Taqueria El Carboncito (Avenida Tulum) has absolutely amazing al pastor. I can’t tell you how many times we ate here!
- Don Taco y Tamales (corner of Avenida Tulum & Centauro Norte) was my wife’s favorite spot. We came here for the tamales and they were delicious! A must have!
- El Camello (Avenida Tulum) is a fish restaurant serving up some fresh, spectacular plates and the oh so popular ceviche! This was my favorite spot for ceviche! I have a massive appetite and the medium size plate had me thinking I should have went with a small!
- For ice cream there’s Panna e Cioccolato (Avenida Tulum, both sides) and for paletas there’s Flor De Michoacan (Avenida Tulum). Sweet treats to cool off!
- We went to a bunch of cenotes, but three of them definitely stood out above the rest. Zazil- Ha, Cristal, and Grand. Add these three to your list. We really had a blast at these spots! Side note: When we were at Cristal I met a guy who was there with his family. We get to talking and it turned out he lived for a while, 30 years earlier, in the town I was born and raised in! As the saying goes, it’s a small world!
- When it came to the beach, we liked Playa Kin Ha. It was real quiet and relaxing. As long as you buy a couple drinks, you can sit out on their lounge furniture for the whole day if you’d like. This same philosophy applies to nearly all the beach clubs. If you buy something, you’re welcome to stay and enjoy yourself.
- The ADO bus station is on Avenida Tulum, opposite side that Posada Luna del Sur is off of. This bus station is important to know not only if you’re taking the bus down from Cancun airport, but also if you are a Bank of America member and want a no fee ATM! Down in Mexico, Bank of America is affiliated with Santander. The ATM inside the bus lobby is Santander! So this way you don’t have to carry U.S. dollars and get them exchanged, worrying whether you’re getting a good exchange rate or not. ATMs give you the best rate you’re going to get. Period.

All and all, Posada Luna del Sur left a permanent impression in my mind’s eye, that I still see now when I think back and close my eyes. Posada Luna del Sur will forever hold a special place in our hearts. Not only because it’s where we spent our honeymoon. But because we fell in love with Tulum Pueblo as a direct result of the amazing experience Posada Luna del Sur gave the both of us! The both of us look forward to returning to Posada Luna del Sur real soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank John M
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This little family-owned hotel really made our vacation. I have to be honest; having never stayed in a Mexican town before and being used to all-inclusives, I was a bit worried when we arrived in Tulum. I thought maybe staying on the beach would have been a better idea. I could not have been more wrong!!!!! This hotel was the perfect place to call home during our stay. It is literally a 5 minute drive from the beach and very close to the various archaeological sites and cenotes (basically all the things you want and need to see on your trip). Renting a car is a great way to go about this because everything is off the main road and Tom is very resourceful (he provides a fantastic map that he walks you through in great detail so you can be as independent and confident as possible during your stay). We also did one of the excursions through the hotel with Antonio; it was hands down the best tour I have ever taken. I have gone on countless excursions through hotels in the past but Antonio is passionate and knowledgeable and just plain fun. Our tour lasted almost 8 hours AND he bought us lunch! I regret not having booked more!

The little pueblo is actually very charming once you become familiar with it and it is honestly very safe (although it might take a day or two for you to understand that). The food in the pueblo was incredible! We ate on the beach strip a couple of times and, honestly, for the price, you just cant go wrong to eat around the hotel. The dining rooms around the beach are obviously fancier but that's basically all you're paying for. I was disappointed with the meal we ended up having (at Pur Corazon....which, to be fair, was not on Tom's list of musts by the beach).

The hotel is fantastic. Quaint and has parking with surveillance if you rent a car. I was shocked at how clean the hotel was. I am a clean freak and i was extremely satisfied. The soaps and shampoos were also really lovely if that's important to you at all....they were all organic and locally made :) The bed was SUPER comfy and enormous. There is a mini fridge and a coffee maker and the A/C did it's job quietly (and helps to drown out the occasional early morning rooster)

The roof top terrace is very relaxing and serves up great breakfasts (although make sure to get out and try other breakfast spots too. I strongly suggest Loncheria el Aguacate or Xoco Loco for something more americanized/health centred.

All this to say I cannot wait to get back to Tulum. Experiencing it through Posada Luna del Sur was the best thing i think could have happened. If youre looking to get away from the all-inclusive model this is a fantastic place run by a wonderful family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MTLNancy
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We had a good time at Posada Luna del sur. We stayed on the 2nd floor room with a small balcony. The room is a good size, with an additional space where there was a small kitchen sink. The hotel provides drinkable water which is and add on. The room is kept very clean. The pressure of the water in the shower can be a challenge sometimes but I heard this is true anywhere in Tulum.
The hotel has a rooftop that is nice to unwind after a day at the beaches, cenotes and ruins. In the rooftop they serve daily breakfast ( separated charged ), which we tried on he first day but found better options around the hotel.

This hotel is in the city of tulum, so you will need transport to reach major attractions. So if you are looking for a clean place to sleep, centrally located to reach the attractions in tulum ( we rented a car, so I don't know how is it using the public transport ) and value for money, definitely it makes sense to stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julia C
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Posada Luna del Sur is an affordable, relaxing, and adorable place to stay in Tulum pueblo. The breezy upstairs patio is a magnificent place to relax and hang out at all hours, the courtyard is quiet with a happy mix of shade and sun, and owner Tom is über-accommodating and full of excellent advice no matter the adventure sought or price range. Tom provides a detailed map with all the places he's scouted and recommends. He's very straight-forward and honest in his suggestions and opinions and well-informed.

Breakfast is not included - but fresh and with generous portions, from distinctly Mexican options to standbys.

Rooms have plenty of nooks to relax...barstools in the kitchen, an indoor seating area, and chairs on the patio. Air conditioning makes for a cozy sleep. Refrigerator, coffee and maker, sink, dishes, and giant water dispenser are all really nice details, too.

Overall, a excellent stay and I hope to return!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WanderVV
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The key is how clean it is. There's a mini fridge, good shower and big, comfortable bed. Tom, who is really friendly, takes care of you and knows the town and surroundings really well (though I disagreed about the best fish taco in town - I liked Charlie's). The roof-top terrace is a cool place to hang out or have a great breakfast. Did I mention clean? It's super clean.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple