“Wonderful experience!”

GreenLeadersGold level
milwaukee
“Wonderful experience!”
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed at Posada Luna del Sur early February 2010. Before my visit to Tulum, I had numerous questions so I emailed Sarah, one of the owners of this hotel. No matter how many times I emailed, Sarah was happy to answer all my questions and concerns. Upon our late arrival, Sarah was waiting for us and greeted us with a warm hello, showed us our rooms, and made sure we were set and comfortable. The next day, Marty (the other owner) spent a great deal of time acclimating us to Tulum, telling us where to eat and not eat, giving suggestions for entertainment, telling us of the best beaches and the cheapest ways to travel around the area etc etc.. We truly felt cared for, and felt as though we were staying with friends. We wanted to have some unique experiences, so Marty and Sarah suggested we utlize Manzano's Expeditions, a small tour company run by a geologist who specializes in small group excursions that are informative and unique. This was a wonderful suggestion as we had the time of our lives on these excursions (we ended up booking 3 of them-they were so much fun). What a great suggestion! If you are interested in this, check this company out - you will not be disappointed: manzanosexpeditions.com. During our week in Tulum, we enjoyed the morning breakfast on the hotel roof. Marty and Sarah were always around to answer questions, help out with any issue we may have, and generally find out if we are comfortable and having a good time. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, and charmingly Mexican in the style of decor, not "Americanized" which was nice because if I travel to Mexico I want to feel like I am in Mexico. There is a small kitchenette in each room with a refrigerator and unlimited filtered water (this is a big plus - no lugging water bottles to the room). The hotel is also secured at all times, and has a security guard at the outside door all night. This is a nice added feature, although I will say that I never felt unsafe in Tulum. There is also a small convienience store nearby to buy snacks, soda, beer etc. The hotel is located on the end of town (quiet) and an easy walk down the street puts you in the center of Tulum. There is a rooster that calls out in the morning, but my patio door screened out the noise - so it wasn't an issue for me.
In closing, I want to highly recommend this hotel. It is clean and comfortable, and you will always have someone around if any issue should arise. You will feel as though you are staying with friends. I am sure to return!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Turkish first
texas
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I really can,t say enough good things about this hotel and the owners! Such a good welcome,they made me right at home.The atmosphere is wonderful,very peaceful and relaxed. loved the rooftop patio wher I would watch the sunrise and then eat a delicious breakfast! The rooms are great with lots of extras,including a private balcony which was good for chilling and reading. I myst say I was also very impressed with the restaurants in the area.Transport is cheap and convenient.A short trip to the beach,which is also fabulous! Idefinately want to make a return visit.Thankyou Sarah Gareth and Marty for making my stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
England
Reviewed 18 February 2010

The new owners tried very hard - too hard - to please but did not deliver for us. The place is really a collection of bedrooms - the top floor open lounge was used for breakfast only and was not a meeting place at least when we were there. A bar area would have been nice

There was very limited hot water ie just enough for a 2 minute shower for one person. The second person got a cold shower or had to wait 20 minutes. The room were pretty basic. For example the sink is in the bedroom not the bathroom. I do not like hotels where to get out in a fire you need your key to unlock the main gate

The 200 yard walk from the hotel to the main drag involves walking on the road through a rubbish strewn little valley and through fetid water. Very unpleasant. The owners - and other hotels - should have sponsored some rubbish collection in the area before the strip

Tulum town is a bit wild west with some average restaurants

We stayed afterwards for four days on the beach. Much much nicer. Yes it was quite a bit more expensive but if you visit New York you do not want to stay in the Bronx.

My wife describes the place as an upmarket backpackers. I thought she was unfair but we expected a much better place from reading previous reports and our expectations were high. We thought we would get better accomodation from reading previous reviews. Explorean in Kohunlich which we went to afterwards fully deserved a five star rating

Tulum site itself and Cobra are wonderful but you must go very early in the morning to escape the coaches. The beaches are lovely and are close by
max and linda

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank max4321
Tom E, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 21 January 2017
We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.

We thrive each and every day to improve. Feedback like yours is very valuable in order for us to provide a better overall experience. Since your feedback was left in 2010, we have evolved quite a bit.

We invite you to come back and visit us one day to experience our improvements.

Thanks!
Tom
U.K.
Reviewed 17 February 2010

Hosts Marti, Sarah and Gareth do an excellent job of making you feel at home. This small, friendly hotel has 12 rooms all of good quality. I should know I stayed in four of them! The hosts give excellent local knowledge which really helps with making choices around the town. Every room has a fridge, coffee machine (lovely coffee) and plates, mugs and cutlery. Breakfast is great-fruit, yoghurt, tea, coffee, juice, granola, crossaints and buns. Upstairs is a patio to sun-bathe hang out on. They have a laptop for free internet access, small library and will help you organise excursions. Well recommended but book ahead as it's getting popular.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights based off the multiple glowing reviews, and they were spot on. The place is charming, clean, and spacious. The common/outdoor area on the top floor, where you have your complimentary breakfast, also acts as a nice lounge with all the amenities of home. It has a complimentary computer w/internet, couches, tables and chairs, books, board games, etc. This is not really a hotel, but a wonderful bed and breakfast, because of the fact that the owners are constantly there to offer their suggestions, advice and hospitality.

You really do want to stay in Tulum Pueblo rather on the beach. It's much cheaper, has more culture and charm, and much better food options. We ate multiple times on the beach, and it was quite mediocre and over-priced. We highly recommend Charlie's, which we ate at twice and is only a couple of blocks away. There's even a Subway Sandwich next door. I know, I know... Subway represents the inevitable commercialization and gentrification of Tulum, and most likely the last thing you want to eat while you're there, but if you plan on doing a long excursion to any of the Ruins or taking a bus ride to other parts of the Maya Riviera, a sandwich with cold cuts is far more durable and easier to eat than Mexican take-out.

The only negatives I can say about the place is that the hot water only lasts for around a few minutes, tops. But that ain't bad when it's hot and humid outside. Also, if you have to tend to business and brought your computer along, the wireless signal can cut in and out depending on the location of your room. I suggest taking your laptop to the common area, or using their provided computer if you need a strong, fast signal. As much as I wanted this to be a computer-less retreat, we used it quite often to read additional reviews on local eateries and research activities. There are no phones in the rooms, but if you need to make a call locally or to the US, the owners are happy to let you use their lines. We had to do this because of the fact that we forgot to tell our Bank we were traveling internationally, and our cards were frozen because of "suspicious charges".

Anyways, we definitely plan to be back in Tulum, and will without a doubt stay at Posada Luna del Sur again. And seeing that it's so easy to get to from the airport in Cancun, we'll likely rent a car this time around as the rates at the airport are extremely cheap.

Thanks, Gareth, Marty and Sarah!

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
British Columbia
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Can't agree more with every one of the previous wonderful comments about this property and the three terrific Canadians who run it.. We enjoyed our stay and would without a doublt be pleased to return.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Willows, Ca
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Sarah, Garreth, and Marty, work hard to provide excellent value, good service, and a pleasant environment. Their Hotel meets all the criterion of a #1 ranked facility.
Please feel free to contact me for details regarding our experience at Posada Luna Del Sur.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple