“Perfect End To Our Trip”

Posada Luna del Sur
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Arizona
“Perfect End To Our Trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

It has all been said in the other posts regarding the Posada Luna del Sur, but Gareth, Marty and Sarah were truly outstanding hosts! We made plans to finish our trip of 16 days visiting Mayan ruins by going to Tulum and staying at the Posada Luna del Sur for our final three nights. We had started in Playa del Carmen, rented a car, went to Chitzen Itza, Merida, Uxmal and then to Tulum. We covered 900 miles, saw some really amazing sights and the Posada Luna del Sur was the perfect place for our final days before flying home.

The only negative of the entire trip was my wife gtting a flu type bug the night before we were going to drive the 6-1/2 hours from Uxmal to Tulum. She did not enjoy the drive and when we arrived in Tulum she just wanted to get to bed. Gareth met us at the hotel and took us to our room and then came back with some tea for my wife. All three hosts went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of, and they especially looked out for my wife.

While we did not get to do everything we wanted for our last three days, she was feeling good enough to go to dinner on our second night and we spent the last full day on the most beautiful beach either of us has ever been on. We both agreed that we would love to go back for a week at the Posada Luna del Sur and I hope that we can do that one day.

My wife and I have traveled pretty extensively and I can attest that Gareth, Marty and Sarah know how to operate a hotel the right way. The continental breakfast on the roof terrace were excellent and the terrace was also nice in the evening for relaxing. I am sure the three displaced Canadians are gloating a bit over the Canadian men's hockey victory over the U.S., but I won't hold that against them. By the way, I never got to thank you for the beer Gareth, so thanks!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
Missoula, Montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

My wife and I spent several nights here during our mid-February vacation and we loved it! We were personally met by Sarah upon our late arrival and she gave us a useful orientation of things to do in and around Tulum. For the rest of our eight night stay, Marty continually helped us plan outings and he went out of his way to organize trips into Sian Ka'an through a local tour operator called CESIAK. We took an evening bird watching tour and went out on a guided fly fishing and both of these trips were nothing short of spectacular. I've been a lot of place around the world and I have stayed in almost every manner of lodging and I can safely say that I have never seen the level of care and service offered by Sarah, Marty and Gareth.

The room was simple and clean and we loved the balcony looking out over the interior garden. We were awoken each morning to the sound of roosters, turkeys and local birds. The light breakfasts under the rooftop palapa were a perfect way to start the day. We appreciated the energy saving measures taken for the hot water and, in contrast to other reviewers, we never found it a problem to have enough hot water for showers and the purified water and coffee maker in the room were a nice plus. The room had a combination safe to store valuables when you didn't need them and the hotel had a very friendly night watchman who kept things secure over night. All that said, we never felt unsafe in Tulum anyway.

The hotel is about 5 minutes by car or taxi to the beach, so it is isolated from the beach crowds and prices in town for food and other needs were more reasonable. The people in town were extremely friendly. It was close enough to many Mayan archaeological sites to make for easy day trips inland or equally close to go up or down the coast to explore other towns.

In short, if you are looking for a beach resort with lots of amenities and need to be pampered every second of the day, don't stay here. However, if you are looking for a simple, clean and safe place to stay with thousands of things to do and where there owners will treat you like long lost family, then we recommend that you consider booking your next vacation here. We are already looking forward to going back next year.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
rome
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

Me and my wife visited the Yucatan peninsula for 10 days and split our stay between Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Our holiday was over the christmas period.

In Tulum, we decided to stay at Posada Luna. We knew that Posada Luna was not on the beach. But we read reviews that the Posada was clean, comfortable, central and welcoming/friendly.

True to the reviews, Posada del Luna rooms were clean and comfortable.
True to the reviews, Posada del Luna is centrally located in Tulum, just off the main street and only a short drive from the beach. (6-7 mins max).

As for hospitality, Sarah, Martin and Gareth set standards in hospitality. In fact, in my many years of travel I have never experienced hospitality as I did at Posada Luna.

So, the real memory my wife and I took back home of Posada Luna is the people who run the Posada. Sarah, Martin and Gareth made us feel like we were living at the home of close friends.

The drinks party offered on Christmas day evening will be something we will remember for a very long time.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
milwaukee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

I stayed at Posada Luna del Sur early February 2010. Before my visit to Tulum, I had numerous questions so I emailed Sarah, one of the owners of this hotel. No matter how many times I emailed, Sarah was happy to answer all my questions and concerns. Upon our late arrival, Sarah was waiting for us and greeted us with a warm hello, showed us our rooms, and made sure we were set and comfortable. The next day, Marty (the other owner) spent a great deal of time acclimating us to Tulum, telling us where to eat and not eat, giving suggestions for entertainment, telling us of the best beaches and the cheapest ways to travel around the area etc etc.. We truly felt cared for, and felt as though we were staying with friends. We wanted to have some unique experiences, so Marty and Sarah suggested we utlize Manzano's Expeditions, a small tour company run by a geologist who specializes in small group excursions that are informative and unique. This was a wonderful suggestion as we had the time of our lives on these excursions (we ended up booking 3 of them-they were so much fun). What a great suggestion! If you are interested in this, check this company out - you will not be disappointed: manzanosexpeditions.com. During our week in Tulum, we enjoyed the morning breakfast on the hotel roof. Marty and Sarah were always around to answer questions, help out with any issue we may have, and generally find out if we are comfortable and having a good time. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, and charmingly Mexican in the style of decor, not "Americanized" which was nice because if I travel to Mexico I want to feel like I am in Mexico. There is a small kitchenette in each room with a refrigerator and unlimited filtered water (this is a big plus - no lugging water bottles to the room). The hotel is also secured at all times, and has a security guard at the outside door all night. This is a nice added feature, although I will say that I never felt unsafe in Tulum. There is also a small convienience store nearby to buy snacks, soda, beer etc. The hotel is located on the end of town (quiet) and an easy walk down the street puts you in the center of Tulum. There is a rooster that calls out in the morning, but my patio door screened out the noise - so it wasn't an issue for me.
In closing, I want to highly recommend this hotel. It is clean and comfortable, and you will always have someone around if any issue should arise. You will feel as though you are staying with friends. I am sure to return!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

I really can,t say enough good things about this hotel and the owners! Such a good welcome,they made me right at home.The atmosphere is wonderful,very peaceful and relaxed. loved the rooftop patio wher I would watch the sunrise and then eat a delicious breakfast! The rooms are great with lots of extras,including a private balcony which was good for chilling and reading. I myst say I was also very impressed with the restaurants in the area.Transport is cheap and convenient.A short trip to the beach,which is also fabulous! Idefinately want to make a return visit.Thankyou Sarah Gareth and Marty for making my stay a wonderful experience.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

The new owners tried very hard - too hard - to please but did not deliver for us. The place is really a collection of bedrooms - the top floor open lounge was used for breakfast only and was not a meeting place at least when we were there. A bar area would have been nice

There was very limited hot water ie just enough for a 2 minute shower for one person. The second person got a cold shower or had to wait 20 minutes. The room were pretty basic. For example the sink is in the bedroom not the bathroom. I do not like hotels where to get out in a fire you need your key to unlock the main gate

The 200 yard walk from the hotel to the main drag involves walking on the road through a rubbish strewn little valley and through fetid water. Very unpleasant. The owners - and other hotels - should have sponsored some rubbish collection in the area before the strip

Tulum town is a bit wild west with some average restaurants

We stayed afterwards for four days on the beach. Much much nicer. Yes it was quite a bit more expensive but if you visit New York you do not want to stay in the Bronx.

My wife describes the place as an upmarket backpackers. I thought she was unfair but we expected a much better place from reading previous reports and our expectations were high. We thought we would get better accomodation from reading previous reviews. Explorean in Kohunlich which we went to afterwards fully deserved a five star rating

Tulum site itself and Cobra are wonderful but you must go very early in the morning to escape the coaches. The beaches are lovely and are close by
max and linda

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank max4321
Tom E, Owner at Posada Luna del Sur, responded to this review, 21 January 2017
We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations.

We thrive each and every day to improve. Feedback like yours is very valuable in order for us to provide a better overall experience. Since your feedback was left in 2010, we have evolved quite a bit.

We invite you to come back and visit us one day to experience our improvements.

Thanks!
Tom
U.K.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

Hosts Marti, Sarah and Gareth do an excellent job of making you feel at home. This small, friendly hotel has 12 rooms all of good quality. I should know I stayed in four of them! The hosts give excellent local knowledge which really helps with making choices around the town. Every room has a fridge, coffee machine (lovely coffee) and plates, mugs and cutlery. Breakfast is great-fruit, yoghurt, tea, coffee, juice, granola, crossaints and buns. Upstairs is a patio to sun-bathe hang out on. They have a laptop for free internet access, small library and will help you organise excursions. Well recommended but book ahead as it's getting popular.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple