“Lived up to its great reputation.”

Posada Luna del Sur
Ranked #4 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
St. John's, Canada
“Lived up to its great reputation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

The excellent ratings earned by the Posada Luna del Sur are well-merited indeed. Reviews lead readers to expect clean, comfortable and secure accommodation, and hosts whose helpfulness and friendliness are extraordinary. A four-day visit in early March 2010 confirms that the rave reviews are in no way exaggerated. Martin, Sarah and Gareth are great hosts, proud of their hotel and of Tulum, and eager to share their insights and tips, both prior to the visit by e-mail and face-to-face on site. This is a wonderful base for a terrific holiday. We started with a guided sunset tour observing hundreds of birds on the lagoons of the Sian Ka'an biosphere. And with our rental car, we visited the Tulum ruins, spent a very enjoyable four hours admiring the elegant stucco statues - and huge variety of colourful birds - at Ek Balam, had a good look at the ruins (and an ocellated turkey!) at Cobá, and lived the dream of the perfect beach just a short drive from the Posada. And each day, we returned to our home from home, looking forward to a high-quality breakfast on the terrace and to a chat with the ever-helpful proprietors.
The fact that Luna del Sur is superb value, on top of its other qualites, is the icing on the cake. A great place to stay!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hafaner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
New Hudson, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

I'm not sure where to begin to tell how amazing our trip was. I can't believe how long it has taken me to write this review. I found Posada Luna del Sur on Trip Advisor while looking for all-inclusives. My husband and I went to the Dominican Republic and stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro for our honeymoon/first real vacation and really liked it. However, after doing a lot of research on places in Mexico and the Caribbean I couldn’t find a place that had awesome reviews AND would fit in our price range ($1500 USD including plane tickets). So I started reviewing places outside of the huge cities, and through the magic of clicking around landed on Posada Luna del Sur! We had the most fantastic time on our trip and the whole time I was keeping tabs in the back of my mind about things I wanted to say in my review so that people would really get that this place was amazing! But I found that I had SUCH an amazing time that it’s hard to even describe. I’ll start by following the trip advisor guidelines:

Describe the service you experienced-
Sarah, Marty and Gareth are terrific hosts. When we got off the plan in Cancun we had our carry-ons and a printout of Sarah’s e-mails telling us what to do if we wanted to take a bus (we’re on a budget so we took the bus to Tulum rather than a taxi – I highly recommend this on your way to Tulum but know that it is sort of an adventure in itself). I’m a little embarrassed to say that, not knowing Spanish or ever having been to Mexico, I was a little scared but we read the instructions closely before getting off the plane and looked like old pro’s walking right to the bus we were supposed to take, paying, and off we went on our vacation. Sarah met us at the door and walked us to our room, gave us a map, told us about everything to see and everywhere to eat/drink and said “you guys must be so hungry, I really recommend going to Charlie’s right up the street.” I feel like this sums up how Sarah, Marty, and Gareth were the entire week we were staying there. They are great at providing guidance of where to go/how to get there, really intuitive about your needs (Marty even loaned us his bug spray one morning and was like you HAVE to wear this today on your trip and it probably saved us), their recommendations were spot on for everyone we talked to (from the beginner travelers like us to the experienced travelers), and they are really laid-back, interesting, friendly people. The perfect hosts, just like everyone has been saying. I also have to give a thank you to Jesus and his brother and father for cleaning up after us, driving us around, and making us feel safe (Jesus is the housekeeper, his brother is a cool taxi driver who drove us back to the airport for a great price, and his dad is the security guard - although Tulum was really safe).

Tell us how you liked the room-
The room was nice and clean and comfy. We read the reviews and I think our expectations were met and even exceeded a little. The bed was comfy, the showers were warm and long enough, and everything was in top notch condition. I don’t think anyone would go expecting a $10,000 mattress or a jetted Jacuzzi for two after reading the reviews. They are slowly renovating all the rooms so I think the rooms will get even better but I would go there again and recommend going there to anyone even if nothing changed.

Talk about the location & amenities-
The hotel was in a great great location. I liked that it was in town because there are a lot of great things to do and see in town (I highly recommend going to Dolci Sapori and/or Charlie’s for dinner). We spent about half our trip at the beach drinking margaritas (I recommend Ana y Jose Beach Club for a day at the beach but go to other places too if you have time) and half doing excursions (you MUST see the CESiak/Sian Kaan biosphere reserve and do the kayaking tour if you’re in ok physical shape, it was the most beautiful and interesting thing we have ever seen) and Posada Luna del Sur was in a great location for doing all those things. If you read the reviews of the hotels on the beach they are by far not as good as Posada Luna del Sur and they’re twice as much a night! The taxi ride to the beach is so short and so cheap ($3USD) that it seems stupid to pay the extra just to stay ON the beach in a lesser hotel.

Say what you liked best & least-
Although I haven’t really said much about it, the absolute best thing about Tulum is the food. Dolci Sapori, Charlie’s, Ana y Jose beach club, or really anywhere that Sarah, Marty, or Gareth recommend has the best food ever. It was like every meal we ate was our new “best meal ever eaten!” The ingredients are SO fresh and everything is made after you order (even the noodles at some of the Italian places are handmade after you order). Get the Chicken Enchiladas with Poblano Cream Sauce at Charlie’s if you go.

A close second best to the food is the natural beauty. The beach is really clean and the sand is white and the water is the perfect temperature. We went up the very top of the building when we went to the CESiak/Sian Kaan Biosphere and it really made me want to cry it was so beautiful. My husband and I often commented how we felt bad that we couldn’t ever possibly capture the beauty in the pictures we were taking. The beach was paradise, the ruins (any of the various ruins) were so cool, the Grand Cenote was eerily beautiful with the see-through water…everything was so amazing.

Overall, we didn’t have any “least favorite” things. What everyone says about Posada Luna del Sur and Tulum we found to be completely accurate. Everywhere we went we said “I can’t believe NO ONE is here!” We’d be on the most beautiful beach, drinking the best margarita, eating the best salsa, and look around and be completely alone except for the waiter! I don't want my talk about how amazing Tulum is to overshadow the fact that, when you go there, the place you should definitely stay is the Posada Luna del Sur. Tulum is not touristy but still has all the things you would want while on vacation…it’s going to be sad when Tulum and Posada Luna del Sur are discovered by the world.

Also a note, we spared no expense while in Tulum– went on all the excursions, ordered a million drinks while at the beach, ordered the lobster at Dolci Sapori, got massages on the beach – and only went $12 over our $1500 budget. The perfect vacation!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EHeintz
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2010

We spent 3 nights at Posada Luna del Sur in March 2010. Rooms were nice, clean and comfortable - had air con, small kitchenettes / coffee makers, heaps of TV channels. The hotel has a great upstairs communal seating area where breakfast is served, and this was a great place to talk to the terrific hosts as well as other guests. The service was excellent and we commend Marty and Gareth on their efforts during our stay - heaps of advice on attractions, restaurants and Martin also hooked us up with our very own taxi driver / tour guide. Definitely worthy of the #1 status.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

I stayed at the Posada Luna del Sur in February. I picked this establishment because it was located in the village of Tulum. It is very much like a bed and breakfast, because the staff is so helpful and friendly. Rooms are nice and clean, yes your showers need to be brief, but I found I had enough time. This is not a resort, if that's what you are looking for this is not for you. The food in Tulum is wonderful. The residents are friendly and charming as well. The only thing I would suggest is to put a sock in the roosters mouth...LOL.. Kathy

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Leesburg, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2010

What a great time! I'm just sorry I couldn't stay longer. Gareth and Marty (I unfortunately didn't get to meet Sara) were so friendly and helpful - calling to confirm tours for me, coordinating transportation, even recommending fun books to read. Breakfast was wonderful always fresh and delicious - we even had homemade tamales one morning! The rooms are clean, comfortable and QUIET. I just can't say enough about this place - you'll need to experience it yourself. I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

The owners of this hotel are exceptional, helping in any way they can if you have a problem. Sitting on the beautiful sundeck for breakfast or an evening drink is fantastic as you can watch the local goings on or gaze at the stars. Talking to other travellers and sharing ideas and stories is just one of many comforts. Knowing that they have all night security over the entrance and parking and safes in each room means that you can relax with the details. Breakfast is a treat, with local fresh fruit and baking as well as cereals etc., allowing you to go out and explore the area earlier. Thanks for the buzz on our last night, you really shouldn't have. We will definately come back!!Laura and Bill

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2010

It has all been said in the other posts regarding the Posada Luna del Sur, but Gareth, Marty and Sarah were truly outstanding hosts! We made plans to finish our trip of 16 days visiting Mayan ruins by going to Tulum and staying at the Posada Luna del Sur for our final three nights. We had started in Playa del Carmen, rented a car, went to Chitzen Itza, Merida, Uxmal and then to Tulum. We covered 900 miles, saw some really amazing sights and the Posada Luna del Sur was the perfect place for our final days before flying home.

The only negative of the entire trip was my wife gtting a flu type bug the night before we were going to drive the 6-1/2 hours from Uxmal to Tulum. She did not enjoy the drive and when we arrived in Tulum she just wanted to get to bed. Gareth met us at the hotel and took us to our room and then came back with some tea for my wife. All three hosts went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of, and they especially looked out for my wife.

While we did not get to do everything we wanted for our last three days, she was feeling good enough to go to dinner on our second night and we spent the last full day on the most beautiful beach either of us has ever been on. We both agreed that we would love to go back for a week at the Posada Luna del Sur and I hope that we can do that one day.

My wife and I have traveled pretty extensively and I can attest that Gareth, Marty and Sarah know how to operate a hotel the right way. The continental breakfast on the roof terrace were excellent and the terrace was also nice in the evening for relaxing. I am sure the three displaced Canadians are gloating a bit over the Canadian men's hockey victory over the U.S., but I won't hold that against them. By the way, I never got to thank you for the beer Gareth, so thanks!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple