La Chan Cabanita
US$209
US$780
US$743
Agoda.com
All reviewstwo nightstulum beachbeautiful cabanasplace to stayevery morningmonimexicanausbfansparadiseoceanbicyclessunrise
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I almost didn't want to write this review because I want this place to be my little secret :) but Moni (and her staff Javier and Miriam,) was such a great host that I felt she deserved all the business she could get! A friend of mine and I stayed in the Jade Room which is on the ground floor and faces the ocean. The ocean is about 30 feet away and at night you go to bed serenaded by the sound of the waves. The property itself is on a beautiful strip of the beach, not too many people unlike the beaches nearer the ruins, and seems to be located somewhere bang in the middle of the long hotel zone. There are some restaurants near by though you have to walk about about 15-20 minutes if you want more dining options. One tip - if you are arriving at the ADO bus in Tulum town, ask cabbies to take you to Coco Tulum which is the adjoining property. We found that cab drivers were not familiar with La Chan Cabanita but immediately understood when we mentioned Coco Tulum instead.
We went in early January when its not supposed to be humid but we did find that the nights can get slightly muggy. A fan would have been welcome, but it wasnt a big deal. Be warned, there are no outlets in the room, so don't be packing your hairdryers!! There is free wifi, but if you want to charge your phones/laptops/ipads you will have to charge it in the open reception near the gate at the front of the complex. They serve a nice breakfast of fruits, bread, yoghurt and coffee which you can eat sitting at your balcony watching the ocean. We ordered the eggs a couple of times and had to pay extra for that, but it was very cheap. There were also afternoon snacks and atleast once I remember being offered wine in the middle of the day, which is always a welcome bonus. There are beach towels in the room and tons of beach chairs and a couple of hammocks that guests are welcome to use. The only minor suggestion I have is to add a couple of extra lights in the room. Our room had just one light (other than the bathroom light) which made it a little inconvenient at night when everything around is pitch dark. I know that a number of properties on Tulum beach are solar powered so I guess thats the reason for the reduced lighting. Overall though, this was a fantastic experience and I plan to return here whenever I can.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pavithra21
Reviewed 22 December 2013

When my boyfriend and I got to Tulum with our Australian Cattle Dog, we were so upset to find that there were NO hotels that allowed pets!!! We checked at three places in downtown, and were told by all three that there were no places that accepted dogs in Tulum. However we tried the beach anyway. We went to a place called COCO, which is right next door to Chan, and were snobbishly told that maybe they would take us at one of the resorts farther down the road (I don't recall the name; but they didn't accept pets anyway). By luck, we decided to go to Juanita Diavola for lunch (which is on the other side of COCO), and decided to try just one last place: La Chan Cabanita, and Moni accepted us. But not only did she let us in, she turned out to be one of the best hostesses ever. She was super accommodating and helpful. For example, when we decided not to take our pet on another airplane trip the following week, she helped us find a really nice veterinary who runs a kennel at his vet in town. She even drove us there the day we left. She is such a wonderful hostess, and runs her business as though each guest were part of her family. She provides you with breakfast in the morning and anything else you might need that could make your trip more enjoyable (snorkel equipment, bicycles...just ask). From other experiences at the various resorts/cabanas around Tulum, Moni's hospitality has proven to be one of the best I've seen around the peninsula. I will definitely be back when it's time for another break from our new apartment in paradise.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jojo R
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

An absolutely amazing place. Moni is a great host and all her staff did their best to make us feel like in paradise. Delicious breakfast, perfect beach and a very helpful staff. It is truthly an extraordinary place and will definitely come back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Izabela G
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

We also found it by luck, but this was the best place that we have seen in the whole Yucatan peninsula. Beautiful sunrises in the morning and the relaxing sound of waves when you go to sleep are exceptional. Will come back one day for sure. Great owners!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Krzysiek B
Reviewed 9 October 2013

What a find. The kind of place you only tell your best friends about. We visited last winter, before upstairs rooms were added. Extended our stay because we just didn't want to leave! We are discriminating travellers, not luxury-minded, but creatures of comfort. Moni and her gracious staff made us feel like we were at home. Oh, and did I say the beach is the BEST!!! Booking our return trip for this winter, and staying even longer!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple