“Fabulous beach and wonderful people”
Review of Poc-na Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Poc-na Tulum
Ranked #63 of 96 Hotels in Tulum
knoxville, tennessee
“Fabulous beach and wonderful people”
Reviewed 5 March 2009

My husband and I just return from La Vita e Bella. It was a lovely experience from the time we were greeted by Sandy and Julia ( the assistant manager), until the time we checked out with ease. Every member of the staff was gracious and accomodating throughout our stay. The bungalows exceeded our expectations. The beach is absolutely beautiful, very wide with fine white sand. We enjoyed the hammock on our porch and our reserved pallapas on the beach a few feet from our front door. We ate in the restaurant many times and visited the bar often, and was very pleased. Say hi to George, Manuel, Francisco and the gang for us. If you're looking for a fancy 5 star resort, this will not be for you, but if you want to lay back, relax, have a beautiful view, with no phone or tv, give la Vita a try. There was even a lady giving beach massages right below our room for a very reasonable rate. You can almost walk to the ruins via the beach, but a rock outcropping stops you. You can get close for pictures though. We hope it is there and remains unchanged for many years to come.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachgoers21

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Boston
Reviewed 21 February 2009

If Tulum is supposed to be famous for the eco chic resorts, this one has forgotten the chic.

I had been to Tulum in the past and I had chosen the north side of the beach hoping that the water would be calmer. That wish was fulfilled. The water was calm, warm and turquoise as I had never seen it anywhere else. The beach instead has less vegetation than on the south side and is less pretty.

We had booked 2 front cabanas and when we got there one of the 2 was instead in the back of the property in a half finished building. The manager was very apologetic and later let us use the beach umbrellas, chairs, and towels for free. That said we had assumed that they would be free for their guests, since they advertise themselves as a beach resort. So we were not particularly impressed.
The cabanas were VERY basic. Electricity ran from 7am until after 11pm and there was plenty of hot and cold water. However the bathroom could have used a fresh coat of pain to cover the mildew, the light pendant was falling a part and a twin bed was crammed in making the place look more like a summer camp cabin than the luxury bungalow they advertise.
Finally the restaurant was quite good, but they did not serve on the beach which is understandable, but inconvenient.
My conclusions: the water is amazing. The resort is not. I would not recommend this place for a honeymoon or a romantic gateaway, but it may be ok for families with children and for adventurous travelers.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank StellaAlberti
weston s mare, england
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at La vita e bella for 3 nights, should have been more but due to messed up flights we were 2 days late, they were very understanding about the missed nights and only charged us for 1 of them, which was fine considering they were fully booked every night. The stretch of beach here is amazing, and after plenty of walks around the area it is definately the best part of a wonderful coastline. The beachhuts are fairly basic but why would you want to be in them apart from to sleep when within 10 paces you are on that beach?!The restaurant is great, freshly cooked food and as good as anything we eat at some much posher (and more expensive) places up the coast. The only negatives are the kitesurfers that every now and then crash their kites precariously close to the sunbeds, pretty rare but wouldnt want to get hit by one! All in all you cant go wrong here if all you want is a great beach, great sea,great food and helpfil staff.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexsrm13
Englishrose6
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I would like to agree with the NY reviewer. I stayed a La Vita April 08 and it is an absolutely stunning place. But there were some problems. Staff ignoring you in the restaurant and were huddled together and it made you feel awkward. The management took everything I said out of context and wrote as the NY reviewer said very vigorously. I travel widely and stay in as many diverse accommodation as possible. I dislike cookie cutter luxury hotels. I like being right on the beach, the more interesting the better. However, I also got a few nasty emails sent to me personally . I don't know who from but the choice of words implied a staff member. This was quite unexpected as my comments were never personal and this person implied I had a problem if I thought staff were huddled and giggling about me. This was not what I said at all. I would have still recommended Vita because the location was beautiful. But after these emails I would advise steer clear or don't write a trip advisor review!

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Englishrose6
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 February 2009

This place sounded nice but I was leery of booking here for my March vacation as so many reviewers on TA had said that La Vita e Bella overbooked or informed numerous people who showed up (and who had reserved and paid in advance) that their reservations weren't being honored. (Note: my vacation is planned for March '09, but TA required me to choose a date in the past, so I chose Feb '09). So I spoke on the phone to the person listed on their website and told him I was concerned about showing up and finding out that my reservation wouldn't be honored. He repeatedly told me it would, and assured me that in years of operating this hotel, overbooking had occurred only a handful of times. Well lo and behold I was informed today that they have overbooked and they CANCELLED my reservation without checking with me first. On the positive side, at least I found this out before I left. On the (much more significant) negative side, my trip is the week of academic spring break and in the time it took to find out about this cancellation, every other place in Tulum has been fully booked. The owner's email informed me of some other place miles away near Playa del Carmen. Thanks but no thanks.

Now, I've noticed that La Vita e Bella tends to vigorously defend itself when accused of poor or unreliable service. No matter how they respond to this message, believe me, this really happened. I am an attorney in New York and am not in the habit of making false representations online. Feel free to contact me if you have any doubts.

The owners should be ashamed of themselves and I would strongly urge you not to take a risk with this establishment.

Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank DSANYC
playathebeach, Public Relations at Poc-na Tulum, responded to this review, 9 February 2009
We want to respond to this person’s complaint about a cancelled reservation.

1. La Vita e Bella works to avoid reservation conflicts such as that occurred here. Since 2000, over 99.9% of the time we get it right.

2. La Vita made the guest aware of a conflict with their reservation and cancelled it over 30 days in advance of arrival and only 2 or 3 days after the fact and as soon as the problem was discovered.

3. We found three other Trip Advisor reviews concerning problems with reservations. That is less than a tenth of a percent of the successful reservations and stays at La Vita e Bella Hotel since 2000.

4. We accepted the reservation based on the availability information we had online and at the time in our hand written logs at the hotel. We do not have internet access at the hotel.

5. The online servers that handle our reservations information were changed in mid-January. We had problems with email service, reservation duplications and information not being correct or offline and unavailable until early February. (The service is now stable.)

6. “Cancun’s Spring Break” does not have much impact on Tulum, 85 miles south. Tulum is still relatively tranquil during that time and there is still availability at many hotels in Tulum.

La Vita e Bella is glad that TA allows hotels a chance to respond to complaints or accusations.

What kind of world would we live in if people did not have that opportunity?

The hotel owners are not ashamed of notifying a guest well in advance of arrival of a problem with their reservation.

That is what a hotel is supposed to do so that a person can make other arrangements for their vacation hotel stay.

Public Relations
La Vita e Bella Hotel
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2008

We stayed one night at La Vita e Bella in Tulum, and found many issues. First, the screen door to our room fell off, the shower head was clogged, the blinds in the bathroom wouldn't close properly, there was a power outage overnight and in the morning, we had run out of water. The property is nice and the location is amazing, but we felt there were too many issues and that the room was overpriced.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The condition of the room
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank VagrantTiger89
playathebeach, Public Relations at Poc-na Tulum, responded to this review, 28 January 2009
La Vita e Bella Hotel responds to all guests needs for assistance. This guest never directly complained or requested assistance to anyone at the hotel that we are aware. This is possibly because they were only staying 1 night. We hope that all of our guests would take a minute to let us know if they have a problem while at the hotel and notify the management or the owners directly as soon as they can so that we can fix or assist.

This particular guest was a walk-in without reservation staying only night.

The sliding screen door was knocked off the track. It is simple to put it back on the track in a few seconds.

The water in the Yucatan Peninsula is very hard. So, calcium deposits rapidly form on shower heads with regularity. We regularly use vinegar to clean the shower heads to keep adequate flow. This shower head needed to be cleared of the calcium build up. Again, if notified we would have replaced the shower head with a clean one. We do realize that it may not have been convenient.

The blinds were not reported as a problem by the previous guests. This guest stayed 1 night and did not report the blinds before leaving, as well. The blinds have been readjusted for easy use.

La Vita e Bella Hotel, as most beach hotels in this part of Tulum, is not on grid electricity. Most of the travelers to Tulum are aware that the electricity is shut off in the early morning at most hotels. This traveler was not aware. We have a 40Kw generator that is turned off after the bar closes around 1am to 2am in the morning. We turn the generator off, as it is underutilized during those hours of the night and to put less pollution in the environment.

The water system is pressurized by an electrical pump. This guest awoke to use the water system before the electric generator had been restarted, so there was no water pressure.

We are glad that they took the time to report these problems over Trip Advisor. We hope that guests report problems to us directly as well. Most guests do notify of us if they have a problem and we take care the situation. We want to take action towards guests needs while they are at the hotel. But, we need to know what those needs are.

Thank you.

Public Relations
La Vita e Bella Hotel
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 November 2008

I’ll just start with a simple statement: This is the best beach I have ever been to. Hands down. This place is literally straight out of a Corona commercial. You can sit all day staring out at the gorgeous crystal clear ocean or walk around in this silky, powder white sand, or take a dip in the ocean. It is a perfect relaxation getaway…the type of beach you can only fantasize about. The bungalows you stay in do not have air-conditioning and supposedly don’t always have hot water. We had hot water the entire time and you don’t need air-conditioning…there is a constant ocean breeze that will keep you cool. I mind the heat and I had no problems what-so-ever. This place makes you feel like you are not even on the same planet as everyone else…it’s so serene and peaceful and relaxing…not a care in the world when you stay here. If you are someone who NEEDS internet connection, television, room service, or a pool then this is not the place for you. If you absolutely can’t handle nature being around (the occasional small crab, lizard or bug hanging around), you should look elsewhere. But, if you go on vacation to relax in paradise, have a completely care-free time, and want to leave your worries behind, this is the ideal place to be. I would recommend La Vita y Bella as part of any vacation or honeymoon. If you are with another person, it will seem like you two are the only people on earth. We stayed on Isla Mujeres for 7 days and then came over to Tulum for 2 nights and it was absolutely perfect. All inclusive resorts are nice, but I would highly recommend coming to this place for at least a little bit. We went in July and the weather was great!

• Liked — Amazing locatoin and beach
  • Disliked — Far away, but this was also a good thing most of the time
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple