Retiro Maya Villas
US$230
US$224
US$655
US$579
Hotel Diamante K(Tulum)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$176
Piedra Escondida(Tulum)
US$216
Travelocity
Posada Yum Kin(Tulum)(Great Value!)
US$127
US$108
US$184
US$374
US$241
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My boyfriend and I were walking down the beach and came across the cute little beach bar and decided to stop for a drink. We ordered two Micheladas with Leon Beer (only 2 options) and stood at the bar while we wait for our drinks. When the bartender handed us our cans of Leon and glasses with the mix I passed him a 200 peso note expecting change. None came. He noticed I was still waiting and informed me that our drinks were 100 pesos each! How much?!*#!

I was a little bit shocked but at that point there wasn't really anything to be done. I know it's my own fault for not asking first, but we've been in Tulum for 3 months and never paid more than 50 pesos for a michelada before. I know the beach is generally more expensive, but having just had 2 beers with lunch a few doors down, that were only 35 peosos each, I can't help but feel a little ripped off.

Not to mention they were the worst micheladas I've ever had. I think it's because instead of salting the rim like usual the bartender just added the salt to the drink, which of course made it quite salty.

Anyway.... lesson learned!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HaveInternetWillTrav
BillieSastre, Guest Relations Manager at Retiro Maya Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Hello.
First of all we are very sorry to hear our Micheladas were very salty, the standard price in our bar for the micheladas is 90 pesos plus tips. We will be pleased to offer you two drinks on the house on your next visit, when you come please ask for the hotel owner Luu Montiel who will gladly receive you.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and we really enjoyed it a lot. It is a bit pricy, but the location is amazing, we had a cabaña right at the beach. they cabañas are simple, but have everything you need. the bed was good, we got nice fresh towels everyday, the shower had hot water and it was clean. the staff was really friendly and helpful, after leaving the hotel i realized that i'd forgotten my phone there. it appeared that they had already found it and saved it for me, now we are trying to find a way to get my phone to holland. we would definately go back there, i recommend retiro maya to anyone!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Xenia,
Thanks for the beautiful review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, because we work very hard for every guest to feel the authentic experience of Tulum, Mexico and paradise. We sure hope to see you again soon.
Retiro Maya's Staff

Reviewed 18 December 2013

My husband and I have two favorite places to stay in Tulum and this is one of them. A patch of rustic paradise. I love this place and go back here each time I go to Tulum. I've stayed here at some point during all three of my trips to Tulum. I've found it's a little gem, and much more reasonably priced than so many of the other places. This place is unpretentious, eclectic, rustic, mellow, and on a quiet stretch of the beach. Very happy here. Our home away from home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ambersigman
BillieSastre, Public Relations Manager at Retiro Maya Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Hi,

We are thankful for your fulfilling comment, and specially glad to be your home away from home. We will receive you with all our love each time you want to come back, because love is our prime amenity.

Hope to see you soon!
Retiro Maya's Staff

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Location was great! Unfortunately there are many other hotels that are basically in the same location. We stayed in the house associated with this hotel. Everything was dirty. There was no hot water. Most of the time there was no water at all. There were not enough beach towels provided. The towels and linens that were provided smelled really bad and were only changed when we paid the staff extra money and requested things to be replaced. The neighbor yelled at us for drying towels on "his fence," which was right next to the house. If you want to rough it on the beach-this is the place. It was basically like camping though I think the breezes in a tent would have been preferable. There are fans but when the power goes out every night, it makes for very uncomfortable sleeping The kitchen would not be adequate to cook a meal in-in fact the stove top didn't work the entire time we were there. No hot water to wash the dishes, etc.There is no television as show in the photos in the private residence. There were bugs inside the home-pretty sizeable ones. The only upside was the area, which is great and there are tons of places to eat and drink within walking distance. Unfortunately there are also a great many other hotels in this same area-so really there is no reason to stay here.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Westy282

Hello,

We are truly sorry you had such a bad experience in our house. We have sent your review to our hotel owner so we can study what happened exactly because the things you comment are not normal. We will be contacting you soon.

Retiro Maya Staff

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We spent a night in the Retiro Maya Hotel and can truly say that this hotel is not recommendable for 150-180 US Dollar per night!
We stayed there because the surrounding hotels were fully booked and it´s true that the location and the beach are really nice. The cabanas would be totally allright for ~50 $ but nothing more, as they´re really basic without any comfort as you would expect at that price.

The cabanas are very humid and therefore somewhat smelly.
Plus: no more electricity after 10 p.m., insufficiently clean, mosquito net with holes, the toilet doesn´t work properly, when showering the wohle bathroomfloor gets wet, to get warm water you need to wait ~ 10 minutes, the linen and towels were dirty, a minimum of decoration - not a cosy place, the service not always helpful and attentive.

In total: you can see in every detail that this hotel was quickly built to make a lot of money at minimum cost. Not at all what we expected for that price!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank baerku

Hello,

We are truly sorry you felt this way about our hotel. As we say on our website we are an Eco-loving hotel that respects nature in every possible way, so the rustic deco, humidity, no light after 10 and waiting time 10 minutes for hot water is part of our compromise with mother earth.

We would like to apologize for not being as helpful as you expected, for the towels and the mosquito nets. We guarantee we will look after that.

Best regards