“Great stay at Retiro Maya”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Retiro Maya Villas

Retiro Maya Villas
Ranked #82 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
New York City, New York
“Great stay at Retiro Maya”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

To be frankly after reading all the reviews on tripadvisor we had some doubts about staying there, but all those negative reviews really did not live up to themselves. We booked a Garden view, but were upgraded to the ocean view right at the check in. Personnel is very helpful and could give you tips on nearby attractions.
It is a nice, cozy, small and simple eco-chick resort. Rooms are pretty simple, but when you it Tulum it is more than enough. Every cabana has a hammock.
In general, I would recommend this place for your vacation. Thank you Retiro Maya, it was very pleasant experience staying with you.

Room Tip: The first ocean view cabana on your left (if you face the sea) has a power outlet below the shelve s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
BillieSastre, Guest Relations Manager at Retiro Maya Villas, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Thank you for your beautiful comment. We love when our guests are happy and really appreciate it when you post your happiness in Trip Advisor! Hope to see you again soon.
Greetings from all the staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Lenexa, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

I was so eager to be on the beach and grateful to find availability at the last minute that the room and location at Retiro Maya was mostly just fine. I was not impressed with the cost to amenity ratio, over $212 USD per night (high season) and no hot water. But in all honesty... I really didn't require the hot water. The water somehow had to be turned on after I first got there. And they don't provide toiletries, not an issue for me, because I always bring my own.

So the floors are concrete, the bathrooms are quaint... not posh at all. These are open-air cabanas, thatched roofs, the real kind, not just for show. When it rained, they held, but I neglected to close the bathroom window and the floor had a couple of inches of water on it. Thatched roofs are not the cleanest, some dust falls from them, but the mosquito netting on the bed keeps the bed protected. The main French doors lock with a padlock and the other windows do not have screens. I propped them open and enjoyed the breeze through the room all night.

I felt safe there. There are patrols on the beach. I left my room open all day and all night unless I left for the evening to an other restaurant. My purse and computer were there and no problems or concerns. I was just paces away to the beach from my room.

The continental breakfast of fruit, toast, juice and coffee was fine for me. Fresh squeezed orange juice (yum!), sliced pineapple, papaya and melon. It would have been nice for the restaurant to be open later than 3:00pm. Their ceviche was good, but everything there was a bit overpriced... drinks and food. Yet this is the trend on the beach in Tulum.... which will probably prevent me from visiting the Riviera Maya in the future.

It seemed like they could have priced their rooms at half the price, had full occupancy and more guests at the bar and the restaurant and make more money in the long run with happier guests.

The beach palapas were pleasant and the staff attentive and helpful.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend staying there for more than 3 nights. After that, I was really ready for some better water pressure, hot water, cleaner sheets, and generally to feel like I wasn't just camping out. I was there in early March... there is no way I could stay there in the summer without air conditioning.

The main power went out at 10pm... the path is no longer lit. But the fans in the room and the outlets in the room were still working. Sitting on the room veranda with a candle and a bottle of wine was very romantic and I loved it.

But hey, sometimes to learn how to cope with meager amenities and makes you appreciate home all the more?? (that's one perspective anyway)

Room Tip: There are only 3 or 4 rooms that are close enough to the beach to be truly considered Ocean View.. m...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thanks a lot for your comment. We value all our guests opinions so we can make our day to day better.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at Retiro for a few days in early March. This was our second trip to Tulum, but our first time at Retiro. Overall, the experience was alright- we booked a last minute, reduced rate package. The beach is beautiful and we never had any trouble getting an umbrella by the ocean. That said, we did have a few pet peeves about the place:
- weak, cold showers in the rooms
- free continental breakfast was a bit meager (a few pieces of fruit, some juice/coffee)
- the service at the beach restaurant was just bad. Our suggestion is to walk to one of the many great lunch spots along the beach (Posada Margarita and Amansala are really fantastic)
- there is only power until about 1130pm, so it can get a bit hot in your room at night.
- lastly, there used to be a great sushi place on the property, but sadly it went out of business.

Overall, with all of the better options along the beach, I don't think we would come back. At a discounted rate,fine, but for the full rate, we would definitely stay in a nicer place.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Craig,
We thank you for all your comments, because it's what makes us improve every day. We will send them all to our hotel manager so she can take notes. Thanks again for your visit and if you return we would love to have you by and try us again.

Best regards,
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I am so grateful for my time in this beautiful place. Surrounded by natural beauty, and just as importantly the wonderful People that staffed this glorious place.
I truly cannot wait to return!
Paloma *

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Marilyn,

Thanks for your beautiful recommendation. We value women who travel alone and our purpose is for your stay to be as peaceful and loving as possible.

Hope to see you again soon!

Retiro Maya's Staff
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

It is not always a comfortable feeling to travel as a woman alone, but the staff at Retiro Maya was warm and welcoming and their kindness was heartfelt. I felt like this was my home for the time I spent there. The sound of the waves was 24/7 and it was soothing - which added to the relaxing atmosphere of the place. Food was terrific, and though there were only lights from 5:30-11, I was still able to re charge my cell phone and my camera battery in my room and I was able to take a hot shower. It was a wonderful experience of living with nature and I left feeling tranquil.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight and be ready to abandon everyday luxury in exchange for enjoying the beauty of na...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank marilyn z
BillieSastre, Public Relations Manager at Retiro Maya Villas, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Hello Marilyn,

Thanks a lot for your beautiful comment. We are glad you had a wonderful time in our hotel and hope we can receive you again soon!

Best regards from all Retiro Maya's Staff
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

I went to Tulum this past week (2/12-2/19/14) pretty spontaneously. I had been meaning to go someplace warm and kept putting off my plans. A dear friend recommended Tulum and upon reading about the town, I thought it would be the perfect spot (it was!). I booked my plane on a Friday night and then was busy Saturday so looked for a hotel on Sunday. Everything seemed to be taken! My friend had told me that I needed to stay on the beach, considering that was the reason I was going to Tulum, right? So looking around, I found the only thing available on the beach for a week was a place called Retiro Maya. They had a discount deal since I was booking so last minute but the reivews on this site were very mixed. Rather than picking a place in town, I decided to go with Retiro Maya. I am very, very glad I did! I am here to try and swing the balance of the reviews on this site towards the positive--because a positive experience is what I had!

First off, I want to make it clear that not every room is the same at Retiro Maya. I was staying in a single room in a large house. Sometimes they rent out the whole house to one group, sometimes they split it up for various people. I was literally a hop, skip, and a jump from the beach. I had electricity all the time, internet all the time, a lovely, lovely room with a closet and drawers for my clothes. Fresh sheets & towels, my own private bathroom. Tremendous! The only problem I had was that there wasn't any hot water when I arrived. I told the staff about it, they said they would fix it right away--and they did! They couldn't have been more professional or friendly.

The last time I was on the beach was in Thailand where I stayed in a cabaña which contained a single mattress--and that's it. So everything felt utterly luxurious to me. Perhaps if you're coming from 4 star hotels where your every whim is granted with room service and facial massage, this will seem like a step down. For me, I couldn't have been happier. And the beach is so wonderful! The sand so soft, the water so blue. You can walk to all the other hotels on the beach to try out different restaurants but you can always eat at Retiro Maya (the food is always fresh and tasty!)

I am not a big drinker so I can't comment on the bar here. Nor did I do any yoga. There's a bike at the hotel next door, a taxi was there whenever I needed it. I just had no complaints and would definitely stay there again.

P.S. The photos I saw on Trip Advisor made it look much worse than it really was! So here is a better picture of my room. Everything is the same except there was no plant when I was there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hello Nick,

First of all I want to thank you for your excellent recommendation of our place. We work hard to make this place a magic retreat for all our guests. I will personally check what you say about the pictures of our site here in Trip Advisor. If you have any more suggestions I will happily attend them at marketing@retiromaya.com

Hope to see you again soon.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

What a special place!! My husband and I came across this beautiful retreat while seeking refuge from an unexpected downpour. We were looking for a quiet place for a one night stay. After parking our rental in their nice sized, well lit parking lot, we walked barefoot to the reception. There we were greeted by Tanya, the manager who lives on property. Tanya was able to accommodate us at a rate we couldn't refuse. We stayed in the studio above the yoga room, which has the capacity to sleep 5. All open air (with screens and fans) and a large bathroom. The room was super clean, all hardwood floors. The bed was comfortable and we fell asleep to the sound of the waves crashing on the resorts private beach. Continental breakfast was included in our stay. Yummy fresh fruit and really tasty strong coffee served by the friendliest waitstaff. If you stay here, be sure to try the pizza place next door for lunch or dinner. Best pizza south of NYC. When we return to Tulum, we will definitely be staying here!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SarahBlitz3279
Hello Sarah,

Tania and all the team of Retiro Maya Tulum thanks you for your recommendation. We are very happy you found us and even more happy you plan on coming back.

Hope to see you soon :)