“Horrible experience”

Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa
Ranked #39 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I booked this hotel via American Express Holidays. On my second night at the hotel, the restaurant served me a complimentary salmon carpaccio. The next morning I woke up ill and spent the rest of my stay lying in bed. On my last day, as my fever kept rising, I asked the hotel to find me a doctor. They said a doctor could visit me in my room for $100, cash-only. I looked in my wallet and only had $80. The hotel said the ATM in their lobby was broken. So I asked them for a cash advance to cover the remainder and they said sorry. I asked them to just charge it to my room, again they said that wasn't possible. In the end, the poor doctor agreed to come for the $80 and didn't charge me for the 3 sets of medicines he had to prescribe. At least he was able to show some understanding. I am trying to get a partial refund in the very least from American Express, who are disputing it on my behalf

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank dehesh983
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

We are sorry to read about your experience with some food poison, your comment is already with the managing director to review procedures in case somebody need cash.
Our system do not aloud employees get cash-out for any reason for accounting procedures.

We wish you a very nice Christmas time

Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed in one of the Ocean-view Suites ( Agua de Mar ) and it was lovely. The room was spacious, clean and well appointed, not to mention directly on the beach. The room had a private pool which was clean and a nice way to cool off if you didn't want to go in the ocean. One of my favorite parts of this type of room was the dedicated raised sun bed so that you weren't directly on the sand and it was very comfortable. Each of the Ocean-view Suites had one of these dedicated sun beds.
The breakfast was very good, but the dinner menu could use a little help. And the hot stone massage I got in their spa was one of the best I have ever had! The staff was lovely and very accommodating! The couple we went with had an equally great time. Thanks for a lovely stay for a first time guest!

Room Tip: We loved Aqua de Mar. Really spacious and right next to the beach. It has a private pool that isn...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My sister and I have just returned from a 5 night stay at the hotel at the end of a 3 week tour of Mexico. It was quite simply idyllic. I have been lucky enough to visit many wonderful places in the world and this certainly ranks in my top 10. The location is amazing and the ambiance manages to be both elegant and relaxed at the same time. Comments about mediocre food and service probably come from travellers who prefer to stay in large anonymous hotels. All the food we sampled was delicious and elegantly presented by waiting staff who could not have been more friendly or charming. The reviewer who saw food leaving the restaurant was probably unaware that food could be served to clients anywhere on site, including on the beach!!
I had the misfortune of having an accident at the ruins in Tulum and was hospitalized for 1 night . The hotel manager, Ignacio actually came to visit me in hospital and after my discharge the staff did everything possible to ensure my comfort and to help with the arrangements to get me home.
This was an unforgettable stay - and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LizB88
Reviewed 11 December 2013

There is no other beach, hotel, or even little spa like Ana y Jose. And with good reason, they've been doing it longer than anyone else on the strip. If you are looking for pure beach pleasure and beauty, with excellent food, no pretention and that Robinson Crusoe like palm trees, bare feet in the sand experience, this is it. Tulum is one of the most beautiful beaches and places in the world. The food and the service at Ana y Jose is wonderful. The rooms are lovely, each one with its own charm and its perfect for families (who don't need malls and kids clubs to relax), yogis, and those who just want to get away from it all literally. A must stay, at least once in your life...you'll keep coming back for more and more. Book early in advance as the best rooms go fast. This is a popular destination for east coast worker bees and families who tend to go in the winter, spring and early summer months.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean and on the ocean side of the property are the best. There are however lov...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SMLEYE
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Me and my now wife had our wedding two weeks ago at Ana Y Jose Beach club and we stayed at Ana y Jose Charming hotel. We live in Norway which means that our logistics and full organization had to be handled and dealt with remotely.

We established communication with Claudia, who is the wedding planner, early february, and I gotta confess that since she took very long to answer almost every of my firsts emails, I grew some skepticism about the place due to the high prices and very slow response to my questions.

Long story short, over time, things got better and better. The day of the wedding, we were just wowed by the whole beauty of the place. We had guests from Norway, Sweden, Australia, USA, Spain, etc, and all of them gave infinite compliments to the food, location and overall experience saying it was the most beautiful place and wedding they had attended. Claudia fixed everything so efficiently and made our day a very special one.

Ana y Jose was great, rooms clean and neat, service was great and the manager, who is a guy from Argentina, was at our wedding and at the hotel and always asking if we needed anything. They made our stay wonderful, my wife is norwegian and she just felt in paradise.

Negatives about this hotel: Yes, it is a bit overpriced, and yes, the food is not great. But hey, they do not force you to eat there and there are a lot of great restaurants walking distance from there and cheaper, which also gives you the chance to explore the area.

Things they could improve on: Food and basic use items such as sunscreen lotion, shampoo, etc are quite overpriced, a bit too much if I must say. Food is not that great, mostly breakfast is quite bad and service at the front desk could improve some.

All in all, I wil recommend to stay there at least once or have your wedding. A shame that i cannot afford to go back there as often as I would like since their room prices are more expensive than the plane tickets from Norway to Mexico.

Room Tip: If you like to hear the ocean and are willing to spend some extra bucks, stay at the ocean view suit...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Not a great checking or booking process! Wonderful setting but whole place feels very old fashioned and tired but still very comfortable.restaurant service and food mediocre.disappointed to see staff carrying their own food through the restaurant and then returning with empty plates?
This place suffers from a lack of high profile management and leadership.could be so much better if staff better directed!

Room Tip: Only choose a sea facing room
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Hello Richard, thank you so much for your time in review our service, every detail of your comment is been review by the operation manager.
We will be much better every time and continue growing to excellence.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We happened in on this restaurant by chance and so glad that we did. We were eight people including 2 small children. We arrived around 2:30PM, not exactly usual lunch time, and we were very hungry. Th staff quickly set up a table for us near the beach , it was like being in paradise. We loved the food--. The shrimp in garlic sauce was sooooo good, the chicken tacos were in a lettuce leaf with a Thai type flavor, yummy, really, everything was so tasty and fresh. The little ones were beyond hungry and they quickly brought them their chicken fingers so they could eat right away. it is also great for kids as there is a small playground right there and of course a most beautiful beach. So if you are in our near Tulum , it is worth a visit to Anya and Jose. After reading reviews, we just may stay there ion our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Ana y Jose T, Public Relations Manager at Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Hello Isrrael, for your time in review our stay we thank you so much, is wonderful to hear that our daily job is part of a great vacations

Regards