“Truely paradise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 115 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Seattle, Washington
“Truely paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2008

I don't even know if I have the right words to describe how amazing I think this place is...but I'll try. My jaw was on the floor, or should I say sand, when we arrived at Tita. After many months of research and reading reviews I was simply unprepared at the beauty experienced upon arrival. White sand, colorful cabanas, big beautiful palm trees, the smell of the ocean and the warm greetings from the staff this place has it all.

We had reserved cabana #1 which is closest to the beach but I quickly noticed the layout of the property makes it so each cabana has an unobstructed view of the ocean. The cabana was very large w/ 2 queen beds, plenty of pillows & extra blankets provided (and were needed). The shower had very hot water, which was an unexpected wonderful surprise. There was also a water jar provided filled w/ bottled water - which you are able to refill at the restaurant. The patio was quite large with 2 hammocks and 2 lounge chairs.

After unpacking (very quickly) we immediately bought cervesas at the restaurant and hit the beach. The restaurant will take dollars or pesos which was helpful since we hadn't exchanged money yet. A flashlight was needed to manouver the beach at night, but Tita is lit enough to recognize from a late night beach walk. There are PLENTY of restaurants within walking distance. I recommend walking the beach rather than the road since you're less likely to be hit by a car on the beach :)

We ate breakfast at the restaurant the next morning and it was delicious. I had chorizo scrambled eggs which came with homemade bread and homemade jams, OJ, and coffee...a lot of food for a great price.

We only stayed 2 nights but loved every second of it. When I return to Tulum I will definitely be booking a longer stay at Tita.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — leaving :)
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Cfritz75

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
tdaniel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2008

I did a lot of research, and I was not disappointed with Tita Tulum. We were pleasantly surprised at how large the cabins are. We had #8, and it was great. We didn't need the mosquito nets or the ceiling fan.The location is great. The lovely beach is just steps from your porch, and the town of Tulum is just 5 min away. We rented a car, only $110 US for a midsize from Hertz / book early. We loved Tulum, and did some great shopping there and had delicious, affordable meals at Don Cafeta's and Charlie's. We also listened to some great live music at Charlie's, which also has a lovely terrace area for dining.
After 3 days at Tita's, we drove to Cancun, which is really Vegas on the water. Cancun is not about pristine beaches. It's about partying, shopping and neon lights. The beaches are crowded and small in Cancun. If you really want to relax and enjoy a beautiul beach while avoiding the crowds, Tita Tulum is the place for you.

• Liked — The beach, the location, the quiet
  • Disliked — showers were only luke warm, which was ok
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank tdaniel
Weston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

This was our third stay at Tita Tulum. My husband and I absoutely love it. There are only eight or nine rooms in the complex, but they are all steps away from a gorgeous beach . The grounds, though small, are beautiful. I felt like I was in my own little oasis.

The rooms are basic - no frills. There is a good restaurant on the premises which serves breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. Maid service every day.

Tita Tulum is in the middle of the various ecological little hotels in the built up beach zone. Once you get by the hotels you can walk for many miles if you wish.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank smokeylinks
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

We stayed here for 4 relaxing nights at the end of our honeymoon touring the yucatan.

The cabanas are lovely! (we had number 2 and the view onto the beach was just wonderful).

But..... at the time we stayed there the water in the shower / bathroom stank. Not just a little but a whole lot of rotten eggs lot - to the point of putting you off washing at all. Apparently this is to do with the amount of rain there has been in the area (as told to us by the member of staff we asked about the problem).

We are budget travellers, and used to eco 'chic', but for me, this smell was just a bit too much - especially at $100 per night (by far our most expensive accommodation in Mexico). I would ask about the condition of the water supply before booking here. It did taint the end of our stay somewhat.

• Liked — lovely views of the amazing beach
  • Disliked — stench of the water supply
Stayed November 2008
5 Thank marvot
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2008

My wife and I stayed here for our one year anniversary and really liked this place. In hindsight, walking up and down the beach from Tita's, most if not all the little hotels along this stretch of Tulum look pretty cool. Most are palapas-style and appear well maintained. Tita's was no exception. Our little cabana, with its small porch and hammock, was just what we were looking for during this trip. Nothing fancy but right on the beach. The bed was bit uncomfortable and the shower pressure was a bit light, but all-in-all the accommodations were great. Also, as a whole, the food was quite good.

We would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank troutchaser
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

We stayed at Tita’s for 3 nights. We had cabana 6 (Tucan), which was upstairs and had what the website claimed to be a “phantastic (sic) view to the beach”.

Before we arrived, I was a little concerned about staying at an eco-hotel – after hearing stories of no air-conditioning and no electricity after 10pm. However, those concerns were not an issue at Tita’s. The constant cool breeze kept the room cool enough to sleep in (and this is coming from an A/C junkie), and Tita’s has 24 hour electricity (assuming none of the guests try to use a hair-dryer or some other electricity-draining appliance). The only concern we had was that the water in the room was pretty salty – which made for some lathering challenges while taking a shower.

The room itself was great. The view to the beach was indeed fantastic, and the constant wind provided enough white noise to make us feel like we had the place to ourselves (although with maybe 10 other guests, it wasn’t like the place was crowded). The room was quite spacious, with more than enough sitting and sleeping room for two. The bed was fine – nothing fancy or luxurious, but nothing that prevented a good night’s sleep either. The only sleeping problems we had were not related to the bed. My wife had issues with a creepy painting of a Mexican girl on one of the walls (you can see it if you look carefully on the website)… it gave her nightmares. Ample closet space, and the bathroom was sizeable, too. We had a porch outside our room with the two most comfortable (and large!) hammocks I have ever enjoyed.

The facilities of the hotel were basic, but the natural beauty of the place didn’t leave us wanting. The beach was nearly deserted every day, with sugar-like sand and slightly rougher water that made for some fun body-surfing. We had lounge chairs and a few palapas to hang out under if the sun was too intense. It was very dark at night (especially after the solar-powered tiki torches went out), which made for an incredible view of the stars. One night a sea turtle came up on the beach in front of one of the cabanas – although we didn’t get to see it ourselves…

Tita’s also has a restaurant that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We ate here for pretty much every meal, and most everything was good. The whole fried fish was my favorite. My only complaint about the restaurant was that the prices were higher than I was expecting. Coming from Playa del Carmen, I expected things at Tita’s to be slightly less expensive – but the food cost about the same as a Playa beach club. Still, with the super friendly service and gorgeous scenery… I couldn’t complain for long. If paying a little bit more helps support a place like this, then I have no problems.

Tita wasn’t there during our stay, but everyone else who was filling in for her was very friendly and laid back. This was our first trip to Tulum, and it left a great impression. Can’t wait to return!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
10 Thank sinaasappelsap
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

Just back from a 9-night stay in the Yucatan - 3 each in Akumal, Tulum, and Playa. Tita's was so soothing, relaxing, and beautiful. Great beach, great staff, excellent service. Had a problem with the ceiling fan squeaking, they were there within 5 minutes to fix it. Absolutely gorgeous stretch of beach, great swimming, body surfing, and strolling. I read lots of raves about the #5 beach-level cabana, but we decided to go with #6, second story, and when we go back, we'll do it again. Huge room with king-sized bed, huge balcony with 2 hammocks, everything overlooking the water and catching a great breeze. The only negative I could think of would be the low water pressure for the shower, but I think that's part of staying on the beach in Tulum.

Favorite romantic spot I'd return to and recommend? That'd be Tita's!

• Liked — location, beach, grounds, view, ambience
  • Disliked — water pressure
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple