“Nice but could be so much better”
Review of Suenos Tulum

and 1 more site!
Suenos Tulum
Ranked #28 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
London, United Kingdom
“Nice but could be so much better”
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Firstly let's get the positives: really nice room (master suite), balcony with beautiful view, good bathroom & shower, friendly staff, quiet and beautiful beach location. Negatives: the dining area is so uncomfortable; the dinner menu was poor (lunch was better), food heavy and overpriced. We decided to eat at the next door hotel (Hip Hotel) instead, which was more expensive, but delicious. All in all - beach is beautiful and quiet, rooms are nice, food & restaurant comfort is very poor.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank dion_dublin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here from July 15 to 22 and couldn't have been happier with our choice to do so. 'Being our first trip to Mexico, we looked at almost every resort in Mexico and felt so discouraged we even looked at other Caribbean Islands for the perfect place to stay, but we really wanted to experience Mexican food and culture. Every place was either sleazy (devoted to making tourists feel like they are still in America...) or outrageously expensive (+ bad reviews on top of that). We DID NOT want to stay in a huge hotel/resort with 400+ rooms to be identified by a bracelet, chlorine stenched pools, cheap mixed drinks, streets overcrowded with tourists, etc. We were looking for an uncrowded, turquoise water, authentic Mexican styled beachfront resort and that's exactly what we found at Suenos Tulum.

I could tell that a lot of love and immaculate attention to detail went into building and designing this little haven. The resort is beautiful. The room we stayed in was the Master Suite Selva. The view of the ocean is breathtaking. The lights that are powered by solar energy are turned on at night are seductive and dim. My boyfriend got plenty of reading done during the day. It did pour a few nights and water seeped onto the floor through the open balcony door but by morning it had completely dried. I never except to find a bed more comfortable than my own, so I don't have any dissatisfaction with their mattress/bedding.The ocean breeze is sure to compensate for any discomfort a troubled sleeper (like myself) may have.

Almost no mosquitos on the premises, but they are everywhere else in Tulum by the 'jungle'.

Everything about Suenos is wonderful. It's private and peaceful, the family is kind and helpful, Edouardo and Mateo were always around to cater to us, and every morning the beach was cleaned and the sand was raked. The sand is white, without any sharp rocks or gross smells. The restaurant is like a homey kitchen serving fresh Mexican food at a very reasonable cost.

Tulum is definitely a special place - romantic and laid back, with lots of restaurants serving delicious fresh fish. And, you can find real souvenirs to bring back, unlike any you will find in the generic gift shops that are all over Playa Del Carmen or Cancun airport.

- We loved our stay and would return -

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lioubimova
Richmond, VA
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early May. I had been plotting at stay at this place for 5-6 years and it was worth the wait. The room was gorgeous, the view unbelievable, and the service over the top. For example, we arrived after a long day of travel and although we were outside the normal dinner hours the staff made a fabolous dinner for us. The family and the staff are delightful and we thoroughly enjoyed sharing the dream that the family has created in Tulum.

Room Tip: We were very happy in Luna master suite and would ask for it again - felt very private
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DebsterBaby
East Coast USA
Reviewed 28 May 2013

There are just not enough nice things to say about this wonderful spot. Tulum itself is magical and Suenos Tulum was the perfect home base to explore. We loved the combination of complete high quality but an extremely low-key, casual feel. The hoetel restaurant only serves guests, and it was the single best meal we had o our trip. Our room had a gorgeous, beautiful beach view. The staff was kind, considerate and very attentive without hovering. It was as if the wonderful Eduardo appeared magically to take care of any need you had while on the beach.

Highly, highly recommend.

Room Tip: Go for the third-floor rooms for best views.
Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastCoastUSAWanderer
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My wife and I just returned from 5 days in Tulum. We absolutely loved Suenos Tulum. It's a special place. It's towards the end of the "strip" of hotels, so it's quiet and secluded. The room overlooked the water, the food was delicious, and the beach is pure sand and water, not a rock to be found. The hotel is not open to outside folks, so we became friends with everyone staying there. Francisco at the desk not only designed and helped to build the hotel, but was very knowledgeable on the area. One thing to note is that in the low season, there is not guaranteed yoga every morning - but many of the other hotels have yoga throughout the day. This place is really a beautiful, special place - we will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors have king sized beds and no mosquito nets!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, UK
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Suenos Tulum is a peaceful and magical place in a beautiful part of the world. The rooms were lovely, people kind and caring (Matteo and Eduardo being particular stars bringing cocktails, tea and coffee whenever) and the family a pleasure to meet.

What really sticks in my mind is the art. The carvings on the outside of the buildings, the sculptures dotted around, little things hanging from the trees. Just really beautiful.

It is so relaxing there. Whilst in the grounds or on the stunning beach you don't need shoes, just pad around in bare feet (I'm trying to remember that feeling - necessary once back in the 'day job'). Nothing is too much trouble, someone will always give you recommendations, advice or help out. The food was gorgeous... Goodness, take me back now!

I walked along the beach a number of times and did not see anywhere quite so beautifully designed as Suenos. Even walking back in the dark nowhere compares to Suenos - seeing their illuminated little planets and moons high up on the poles, guiding you back.

We went to various restaurants in the evening (and had one delicious meal at Suenos in the evening too). It was very easy to get taxis. Om bar just up the beach was great for pizzas and really relaxing. Posada Margerita was great and the best food was at Cetli in the Pueblo. We went to quite a few of the bars up and down the beach road and all were good - I loved the decor at Casa Jaguar. You may have the impression that our time in Tulum revolved around beach, food and the odd cocktail. Quite right. However, I can recommend the following: Tulum ruins, Coba, swimming and snorkeling in the lagoon at Akumal, the Sian Kia'an trip, the local restaurants and ice cream in the Pueblo and Grand Cenote. We did not think that Tulum was overdeveloped nor the beach road too busy.

Where cenotes are concerned (we swam in a number during our 3 location trip) I do add one word of warning about the cenote down the road towards Sian K which unlike the others we went in, which were more like caves, was a mangrove-lined cenote. Which I hasten to add was not recommended by the family. There is a new bar there (called Mangroove) which is managed by a lovely team. It would be good for a drink and maybe a kayak - but they suggest that people hire kayaks/paddleboards and swim in the cenote. We were just about to do this, paddling along, when my son spotted a 4 foot crocodile by the side of the water. Needless to say this put me off and my toe did not enter the water. I checked out if I was being a lilly livered brit but the locals I mentioned this to afterwards seemed to think that swimming there would be a bad idea.

Back to Suenos T. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. I can find no fault (although no hair drier was a pain..ooh the frizz) at all. It is a great place to stay with children or without.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank JaneBrighton
Boston
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The resort is cute. The rooms are spare but well designed and extremely clean, the towels were plush, the water was salty but hot. Electricity was available most of the night. My only specific complaint for the resort is that breakfast is served late 8-10, so if you are coming from the East Coast with 2 hours of jet lag or even worse from Europe you are going to be hungry for a few hours.

However Tulum has changed. In the past 2 years the entire beach has been built up sometimes almost all the way to the water. At this point I wonder if it is still worth the high price and the lack of running water and electricity. In the past such lacks were quaint and a fair trade off for a pristine beach. Now there is a noisy generator every 100yards and water tanks constantly driving up and down the only road, making the whole place look more like an experiment in poor city planning than a tropical paradise. For the same amount of money one can find an equivalent beach, but a better resort in Puerto Morelos or in Maroma.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family