Mezzanine Colibri Boutique Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Wish Tulum(Tulum)
View Hotel
All reviewsthai foodmaster suitemoney bagsevery morningour honeymoonthe sea view roomstulum ruinskitchen tablebeach bagtea coffeelittle touchespublic beachyour doorstephuevos rancheroshotel guestsshrimp tacosturn down service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 November 2010

Great little Boutique hotel in Tulum nine rooms,we had suite #10 and it was out of this world. been going there since 2007.
Great Thai food restaurant and beach bar, what we noticed this time was the hotel didn't work hand in hand with the restaurant and bar. They made it difficult to charge to the room food drinks etc.You needed money all the time, I could see if you just went there to eat but if your at the beach and want a drink etc. Than they wanted to hold our passports to charge to the room. knowing this I booked our stay when the Mexican Government closed them down and trusted them with the charges.Wouldn't even have room charged on a credit card. Wouldn't cash travel checks ?
I think there still might be some problems here, I didn't find this problem at their sister resort LaZebra spent two afternoons there and ran up a charge ?

2  Thank surferjoeChicago
Reviewed 11 November 2010

What you need to know before booking anything via this hotel:
- the decor inside the rooms is quite nice (modern), and that's probably the ONLY thing I apprciated from this hotel.
- no air con nor tvs in rooms, yes even those which cost around 400 USD a night.
- it takes them litterally over 2 hours to fill in 5 different invoices.
- the swimming pool is more for a couple of ducks than humans (shallow, stupidely small and dirty).
- No food available whatsoever after 10pm, not even a bag of peanuts. No water bottles provided in rooms
- Some rooms don't even have windows.
- No cold water in my shower - be prepared to scold half your back
- breakfast menu ok-ish.

Considering the prices that they charge (from 120 to 400USD) I expected something a lot more sofisticated. The website is what enticed me to book 5 rooms at this hotel.

It was closed several days after our departure, for infringing local environmental laws. Don't fall for the eco-friendly argument which justifies such high prices. There is plenty of offer along Tulum's hotel zone, so don't pick this hotel based on its location: all the cabanas and hotels have the same beautifual white sandy beaches and turquoise sea.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
14  Thank Annabellllll
LauraMezzanine, Manager at Mezzanine Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2010

Sometimes when I see a review like this I really wonder what can be said in response. Really, based on your comments you probably should have found an all-inclusive hotel in Cancun or in Playa del Carmen with TV, air-conditioning, 24 hour buffet restaurants etc. Tulum just is clearly not your kind of place. The people who stay in Tulum and at Mezzanine appreciate how different it is to the typical resort hotel, but it is clear you did not realise that.
You were due to arrive at 8pm but did not appear until well after 11pm. Our restaurant was closed as normal, and so we did arrange for food to be brought for your party from town.
I have no record (and I was there) of any issues about water in the rooms (I checked it earlier in the evening before you arrived) and there was no complaint about the hot water at the time.
Also, I suppose in your anger you are exaggerating many things....all rooms have windows. The pool is not dirty and we were not closed for environmental reasons.
I know that normally a manager should apologise and find a way to make it better when a guest has a problem, which of course we try hard to do. But in this case, you are just completely out of line and quite vindictive. There is really nothing to say, other than please make sure you research your destinations better in the future, and treat staff with more respect.

Reviewed 10 November 2010

Mezzanine is a small boutique hotel located on one of the best beaches within the Mayan Riviera. The location and it's view is just spectacular! The rooms are clean, spacious and have all the necessities required (considering it is an eco-friendly hotel, so no TV or Wi-fi inside the rooms, then again, who needs that when you are in Tulum!). The whole purpose of the hotel is to relax, enjoy a romantic getaway, a nice bottle of wine, an amazing view, a spectacular Thai-infusion cuisine, but mainly, just to be surrounded by nature and free your mind from the daily urban routine. Did I mention the food is amazing? Worth trying!!! The hotel itself is very pretty, although it could place a little more emphasis on the small details. The service is friendly and familiar, you almost feel at home given that it's such a small hotel. Don't forget to try the margaritas!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
LauraMezzanine, Manager at Mezzanine Colibri Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2010

Thanks for your nice contribution,we are pleased that you were able to appreciate those little but amazing things the make this place so special.

Reviewed 9 November 2010

In short: A wonderful hotel, with amazing service & restaurant, private beach, and a chic European quality (minus pretentiousness!)

My husband and I just came back from staying at The Mezzanine, which was the chosen destination for our honeymoon. Having been to Mexico when I was a youngster, I did not know what exactly to anticipate from Tulum, as well as Mezzanine. I am used to European chic, comfort, and style, which I wasn't hoping to find in Mexico, at a beach town, in the middle of the jungle. How wrong I was!

First of all, the hotel is really beautifully designed. It is actually very pretty, comfortable and modern. Most of the hotels in Tulum are cabana-inspired creations, which are a little too rustic for my taste. Mezzanine was a perfect mix of Mediterranean & Carribean. I LOVED its location most of all - away from the busy (and expensive!) hotel row, yet equidistant to the town of Tulum as the rest of the hotels. Mezzanine is located at the beginning of a beautiful beach, shared only by a small handful of hotels. What I really liked about Mezzanine's service was their offering of free water, beach towels, bicycles to ride, water equipment (kayak, snorkels, etc.) Although we didn't have AC, the fans worked beautifully all night long (key word - electricity all night!) The views were spectacular from our room, and probably every room in the hotel - the layout is really good!

Upon our arrival we were given free margaritas (bestest in town!) and promptly checked into our honeymoon suite! Ordering from their Thai restaurant was never a dull moment - the food rivals some of the best NYC restaurants! Even of you don't end up staying at Mezzanine, at least go there once for dinner (or breakfast, or lunch), you will be very happy. Prices are incredibly affordable and the freshness of food can't be rivaled.

Haha, I hope I don't sound like I work there :)

Overall, the hotel provided exactly what I wanted - a chic environment, a beautiful beach, killer food, and lovely service. If we wanted to get away, it was easy & we just hopped on our bikes & rode to town, or checked out cabanas on the hotel row.

Reviewed 3 November 2010

Mezzanine is a chic boutique hotel located on a beautiful beach. The food, staff and service are excellent. The rooms are great with fantastic views. I would live there if I could!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for your nice comments. We hope you are able to visit us again in the very near future.

Saludos desde el hermoso Tulum!