“Beautiful Beach, Great Price, Hippie Establishment”

Dos Ceibas Eco Retreat
Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Maine
“Beautiful Beach, Great Price, Hippie Establishment”
Reviewed 16 February 2009

When we checked in we were told what time meals were and what time the power was on - nothing about the area of the amenities of the resort.

We tried showering after we checked in, but the water just dripped down the side of the wall (we had seen pictures of this in tripadvisor reviews). It cleaned us off slightly. After dinner, we got back to the cabana and there was no water at all. None. We told reception, and they fixed it in 15 minutes. After that, we had no problems with our water and our shower worked just fine.

The cabana itself was in need of a cleaning. The shower was dirty and the floor needed to be mopped. They seemed to sweep daily and tidy bedding/towels, but overall, it felt grungy. There was a small kitchen - stove and water. Since it seemed grungy, we weren't in a hurry to do anything in it and didn't take advantage of it.

There were some sort of ritual going on every day throughout the day. I assume it was a Mayan thing, but no one told us what the schedule was. At one point in the evening, we heard loud sobbing and wailing. It was a little disconcerting. We chalked it up to another ritual and thought it would have been nice if during our check-in there was some sort of orientation to the 'culture' of the place. We felt like we were intruding.

Positives:

We were happy when we were on the beach and totally relaxed. The beach is really one of the most spectacular beaches we both had ever seen. White sand as far as you could see in both directions. There were very few people on the beach - I counted 3 when I went down in the morning. There were enough chairs and table for everyone. It was like being alone in paradise.

If you go here, go for the beach. It was fabulous.

We spent the next three nights at a great resort, but the beach wasn't even close to spectacular.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lafancypants

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 January 2009

My girlfriend and I just spent 3 nights at Dos Ceibas, and had a wonderful time. We stayed in the Iguana cabana, and loved it. The room (really a thatch-roofed concrete hut) was great, the staff was friendly and relaxed, it sits on a beautiful (and near-empty) stretch of beach, and the restaurant serves delicious food. (Honestly, the food was amazing.) The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed. It was great for a romantic weekend, although there were some families there too who seemed to be having a great time.

You should know that the place is rustic - the rooms only have electricity from 6pm-6am, you can't flush your toilet paper, you need to burn mosquito coils and sleep inside a mosquito net. The shower and sink are salt water, and it is quite dark at night. (We brought flashlights and needed them every night.) This is no surprise for anyone used to non-luxury Caribbean accommodations, but for those who are used to a resort, Dos Ceibas may feel closer to camping. (This was part of the charm; we kept joking about being on Gilligan's Island.) Our room was bright and clean and spacious, and they provide you with free purified bottled water in the room every day.

Our only complaint was that the water pressure in the shower was very poor, sometimes just a trickle.

We loved Dos Ceibas, and would definitely stay again.

• Liked — The food and the quiet
  • Disliked — the shower was salt water and had very low water pressure
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seanomenon
Edmonton
Reviewed 18 December 2008

A group of us stayed at Posada dos Ceibas dec 1-6, 2008 and out of 10 of us...everyone loved it. Now many of us are middle aged North American women that usually are big resort people (with our husbands) and aren't world travellers so it was an adventure to step out of the box and go to a small eco resort.
The amenities are the beach and the food. You never have to fight for a spot on the beach.5 star food...seriously. They serve a shrimp cocktail in a tall Sundae glass that must have 25 big fresh shrimp and fresh salsa for 8 bucks!! Its a meal in itself...I still have dreams about it. :-)The rooms are simple and clean. They are a true Eco resort. Power is solar. The owner is a committed enviromentalist and is concerned about the footprint her hotel leaves...hence no hairdryers...what a price to pay for staying on the most beautiful stretch of beach in the world. There were a couple of girls concerned about their hair but a few days of paradise and they forgot all about it...plus they had more time for tai chi on the beach! They also don't charge you for drinking water! Every other place gouges you for a glass of water! I hate that...They have stopped the swinging beds from swinging but I was lucky enough to get the one that stills swings in the Mariposa room. I loved it...it made me laugh...I felt like a kid.
Yes the kitchen does shut down from 3- 7:00 but they serve drinks all day . The cooks work from 7am to 10pm each day. Its Mexico ...they siesta!!! Go to the beach ...order a cold beer, Pina Colada or Marguerita...I did...hehe If you are starving there are a million restaraunts in the area. Posada dos Ceibas is basically a family run place. Not fancy..but I stayed at Ana y Jose for 5 days before Posada dos Ceibas and was served expensive burnt cold food and paid for drinking water...same beach...three times the price. The rooms are nicer but i didn't feel at "home".
WE ate at a couple of the fancier restaruants in the area and the food at PDC was far above anywhere else. Try the chil rellanos, chicken tacos...any of the fish... chicken poblano mole...shrimp cocktail...OMG...I want to go back....
My thanks and love to Elvira, Tauro, Eli, Carlos, Nester, Alexa, Giovanna & Carolina -Rocky & Rumba too!

Stayed December 2008
3 Thank DKozoriz
Minneapolis
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Staying in a cabana anywhere on the beach in Tulum is an incredible experience. At Dos Ceibas in particular, because of the remote location, you will find yourself enjoying both jungle and beach in a peaceful, serene setting. I stayed in cabana #3 for one night and it was beautiful! It was November, so the heat wasn't a problem, but at night you have a ceiling fan and floor fan to keep you cool. I always had steaming hot water (a little salty though) and didn't experience any insect problems. Electricity is on from 6pm to 6am, which was sufficient. During the day, you have candles. Although there are no outlets in the cabanas, you can charge your electronics at reception as well as connect to their wifi (for a daily fee).

I also stayed in cabana #8, which is the cheapest of the 8 rooms. Beware of the snake holes outside the door - I saw a large snake slither out of one! Another "feature" of this cabana is that the bathroom is about 25 paces away, which isn't a big deal during the day. But in the dark evening hours, this might instill fear in the bravest of travelers! It might have just been an oversight by the staff that day, but they didn't light any candles along the path. So between the cave like darkness and the memories of that snake, I nearly had a panic attack just trying to stumble my way to the bathroom. My advice? Bring a flashlight!!! And some bug spray wouldn't hurt. Once I finally did make it to the toilet, a HUGE Tailess Whip Scorpion greeted me.

The food is excellent, they provide an endless supply of purified drinking water, credit cards are accepted and the staff is very friendly. I'd stay here again (with a flashflight!).

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank DRPMpls
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Although we were booked at Luna Maya (see my review on that one), we opted to spend our first night in Tulum at Dos Ceibas. I can assure you, that if it weren't for the "no refund" policy at Luna Maya we would certainly have spent our entire stay at Dos Ceibas. We stayed in Mariposa (not sure if I would have been up for the infamous swinging beds). The beds were extremely comfortable, the beach was magnificent and I would say the best in Tulum. We were warmly welcomed by Esmeralda, and Carolina was wonderful and efficient. The setting is extremely romantic, particularly at night when the entire area is candlelit . We had the Dos Ceibas fish for dinner and it is truly memorable, It speaks volumes about the quality of the kitchen.
A caveat - don't expect consistently hot showers or 24 hour electricity anywhere in this area but believe me, I really wouldn't trade the ambience for these minor inconveniences.
Many of the the beach cabanas in Tulum are seriously misrepresented but I would say that, for us, Dos Ceibas really delivered. I imagine the complaints about the swinging beds might be legitimate though, particularly after a few margheritas, however, the front unit beds are on terra firma and we look forward to a lengthier stay next time.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — decor is eclectic but the the color is too dark.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank partiof1
Toronto
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Our stay at Dos Ceibas was a success. It's on the best stretch of beach there is in Tulum, other than the part within the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.

We stayed two nights in Bungalow 8, Cocodrilo, the "budget" room. It was very nice and quite cool - we didn't need the fan even though we were there during a heat wave. The bathroom (which was detached) was very cramped but very clean. There wasn't always hot water, though.

For our last night we stayed in #7, Zarigueya. The ensuite bathroom lacked privacy, but otherwise the cabana was great. We enjoyed the hammocks on the porch.

The staff was friendly and very helpful, although a bit overwhelmed at times. The "casual" food on the lunch/dinner menu (tacos, etc.) was mediocre but the dinner entrees, although a bit expensive even by Canadian standards, were absolutely delicious. There were some really good deals on the breakfast menu.

Dos Ceibas is pretty far down the cabana strip, so be prepared to do lots of walking or pay for cabs. It wasn't a problem for us -- I thought the beauty of the beach far outweighed the remoteness -- but others might find it a hassle.

Others below have complained about mosquitos, roaches, not being able to flush the toilet paper, etc. These are not unique to Dos Ceibas -- no matter where you go in Mexico, you'll run into these tiny wrinkles. If they're not your scene, perhaps you'd be better off staying home or visiting another country.

The ruins and the reserve are both definitely worth checking out.

• Liked — the lovely beach
  • Disliked — the bathrooms - clean, but oddly designed
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flipagain
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 14 April 2008

I'm puzzled by some of the reviews here. My adult children and I had a wonderful time at Posada Dos Ceibas. Having stayed in a many a Marriott, Hilton, or Best Western, we were thrilled with the charm of this Yucatecan spot. This place was glorious, with little bungalows with thatched roofs, mosquito netting over the beds and beautiful bright colored stucco. We walked in soft (immaculately clean) white sand to the reception/restaurant and had several meals there, overlooking the ocean. I became quite addicted to fish tacos and beer with lime. Everyone there was most courteous and helpful. I sat for hours on the small balcony, mesmerized by the colors, the foliage, and the sounds of the birds. There was no need for electricity during the day (we were at the beach!) and the fact that the cleverly designed bathroom had no door didn't prevent us from giving us other privacy. All these unusual things contributed to our enjoyment, frankly, because we wanted to experience Mexico, not a predictable hotel. Our beds were stationary, so don't know if a floating bed would have bothered me.
Many thanks to Carolina who was so kind to us.

Stayed March 2008