Dos Ceibas Eco Retreat
Suenos Tulum(Tulum)
  • Breakfast included
Casa Malca(Tulum)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbeautiful beachceiba treelack of electrical outletsguacamoleyoga classes in the morningfriendly dogsspent five nightslaid backfull moonsand floorchicken tacoshoney moonlovely propertybring a flashlighttraveling solosea view roomboca paila
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We made a side road trip to Tulum during our stay at Cancun. After visiting the ruins we decided to spend the night and found this place in our tour book. The posada is made of brightly colored, round huts with palapa style roofs set under a canopy of jungle trees. All the huts included private hammocks on the front porch/patio area. The room we choose had two beds with mosquito nets. This was a new experience for me. Unfortunately, I choose the "floating bed" suspended from the ceiling. Needless to say, I did'nt get any sleep that night, because your bed will sway all night every time you turn or stir. The other matrress in the room was not so comfortable. This posada was very eco-friendly and used solar energy and well water. Once the electricity ran out, some time during the night, the fans stop running and it got very stuffy. I would recommend leaving your curtains open so you can breath. The room provided candles and matches.
The beauty of this place is that you are only a few steps from the ocean. After a lite dinner of fresh fish at the little restaurant, we sat under the stars enjoying the moonlight on the beach. A little while later some residents walking along the beach with flashlights alerted us that a sea turtle had come ashore to lay her eggs. We did'nt know it was the season for laying eggs. I can't describe in words how magical this experience was. The locals educated us on how to behave and not scare the turtle. While this was going on another turtle came ashore to build her nest and drop anywhere from 100-125 eggs. After so much excitement it was hard to go to sleep, which I really did'nt. If you do get some sleep, you will wake up to exotic bird calls right above your hut. We walked down the beach past two hotels and there is a fantastic restaurant with the friendliest waiter named Enrique. A place to eat pancakes and look at the sea. If you deal without ac and mosquito nets, than this is the place for you. The beach is amazing, empty and breathtaking with a natural reef about half a mile out or so. Tulum is a mystical experience!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2010

We spent five nights at Dos Ceibas and had a really lovely stay. The location is amazing, right on the beach and the bar / restaurant is a lovely place to have breakfast or spend the evening with a bottle of wine. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the cabana we stayed in was spacious and comfortable and always beautifully cleaned. The only slight downside is that they have some lovely friendly dogs on the site who were very cute by day, but could be slightly noisy at night.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Dos Ceibas is a perfect place to relax and recharge. I stayed in bugalow 7 - a great amount of space, a comfortable bed, and when the hot water went out, it was fixed immediately. The staff was very friendly. Because the bungalows are built within the jungle - as opposed to ripping the jungle out and building, as many of the other beach road resorts seem to have done - you wake up to birds calling and tree branches blowing in the breeze, and the short walk back to the room after a day on the beach is cool and refreshing. The posada's beach was spotless and not crowded during my stay. Because it is further down the beach, it is not among the larger resorts. You get the feeling of being a bit more secluded, a bit more quiet and peacful, than you would elsewhere.

The food at Dos Ceibas was GREAT. Compared to the handful of meals I had at other beach road places, Dos Ceibas was tastier and of higher quality. If you're there for only a few days, I would recommend eating all meals at the posada. If you have more time and like to eat around as I do, try Deli and Trece Lunas on the beach road.

Food in town, however, was a different story. I did not have one bad meal on the avenida! Azafran is amazing and I don't know how she can charge such cheap prices for such sophisticated food. Rincon Poblano and Salsalito Tacos were great, too.

I rented a bike from Lily's Bike Rental - a must if you chose not to rent a car - to get to and from town, the ruins and Sian Ka'an. A note: Tulum ruins open at 8am, not earlier as noted in the Rough Guide. Do not get up early and bike all the way without coffee and breakfast to be the first one there at 7 - you will have to wait til 8!!

Really, Dos Ceibas is perfectly located, beautiful and well-kept. The electricity was a non-issue for me, but do bring a flashlight - because the bungalows are so shady and cool, they are also dark! I needed my flashlight to find something in my room at 4pm! Also, bungalow 7 is attached to and below number 6. So such non-jungle sounds as toddlers' feet, chairs dragged across the floor and screen doors slamming were easliy heard. Honestly, I was so relaxed these didn't really bother me, but they should be noted becasue the map of the posada dosen't make it clear 6 is above 7. Regardless, I would highly recommend this place and do intend to return!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank wanderercf
Reviewed 3 March 2010

We stayed here for 3 days to get over the trip from England before we went to Chichen Itza and Holbox Island, wish we could have stayed longer. The Cabana was situated so close to the restaurant and beach that we didn't even need to wear flip flops for the whole stay!
Gorgeous cabanas, really colourful, we had hot showers every day and electric when we needed it. Make sure you have mossie spray on when sitting outside cabana or walking to the restaurant.
The beach was absolutely beautiful, white sand, clear water and most of the time we had it all to ourselves. The breakfast, lunch and dinner were all very good.
It was really hard to drag ourselves away from this little piece of paradise...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2010

If you haven't been to the Tulum beach, be advised that aside from being one of the most beautiful beaches in the worlds, it's tranquility and Bohemian style will charm you and you'll never go anywhere else. If your expectations include a free breakfast or beach waiters--this is not the place for you. You won't smell your neighbor's Coppertone or see a single beach noodle.

You will love Dos Ceibas if (1) you like camping and can roll with whatever nature brings you...sometimes no hot water or an occasional critter (remember that this is a beach/jungle--not a giant concrete complex) (2) you don't want to hear anything but the wind or see anything but the waves (3) you want complete peace under the most beautiful starlit sky you've ever seen (4) you speak some conversational Spanish. You will find that Spanish is very helpful anywhere in Tulum if you intend to do anything other than order a beer or go to the bathroom.

The rooms are clean, maintained daily and safe. The staff will leave you alone unless you need something. The owner Arvila, a delightful woman from Spain, lives on-site and has created a wonderful home away from the "noise" of the world. I would best describe this as a homey place, owned by someone who loves it. I recommend the Mariposa room--it has good light and ventilation and partial ocean views.

Things to bring: flashlight, swimsuit, bugspray. Things you won't need: shoes, dress clothes, make-up. You could visit this beach with a backpack for a month.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends