“Don Deigo de la Selva saved my life...at least my vacation.”

Don Diego de la Selva
Ranked #19 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 17 June 2010

With great hubris, we so mistakenly booked an "adorable" beach cabana. After a night of howling wind and rain, in which everything became completely soaked, we admitted our middle age, and lack of "edge". Quickly packing our wet clothes, we slunk into town to find salvation.

We did not have high expectations for DDS, but we were so pleasantly surprised. The room was clean, well apportioned, sweetly decorated. The breakfast (included) was perfect, and the gourmet dinners were very affordable and fabulous. The hotel has an open central restaurant, and the rooms are off behind the restaurant. There is a fairly large pool, and much jungle flora and fauna for landscaping (hence the name).

Our host was friendly, generous, and always eager to help. He told us of the best sites to visit, and offered us a free breakfast when we arrived soaked and defeated the first day. The staff in general are friendly and responsive.

If this weren't enough, there is a Don Diego de la Playa, and we could use their beach! So we were able to have beach access without the misery of having to sleep on the beach. Perfect!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2010

We stayed at Don Diego de la Selva the first night of our trip to the Yucatan. I wish we had stayed longer than one night. The rooms are spacious and clean, with a hammock on the patio overlooking beautiful tropical foliage. It was so relaxing to dine outside in the restaurant - it was breezy and quiet, and the Mexican/French food was excellent. The staff are friendly and helpful. We're going back to the Yucatan next year - this time bringing lots of friends--and we'll be staying at Don Diego more than 1 night next time.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2010

This place is a bit out of the way-- on the edge of Tulum town town a dirt road-- but very pleasant and welcoming. To get to most of the restaurants in town, you'd probably want to drive or take a cab-- I'd say it's about a fifteen minute walk to the main part of town.

All of the staff were friendly and relaxed (ie no one tried to sell us on a tour) and the pool and outdoor garden/ seating area are both beautiful. I spent a nice evening in a hammock by the pool, drinking a margarita and using my laptop (they have very good wireless). Beware, though: because it's a bit in the jungle, there were lots of mosquitoes. Rooms were pretty basic but comfortable and clean. Breakfast was fresh fruit, toast, and coffee served in their nice outdoor area. There were several families staying there at the same time as us, and it seems like a good place if you have kids (nice pool, some board games lying about, overall kid- friendly vibe).

Overall, this is a very nice place to hang your hat if you aren't in Tulum for the beach, but I'm a beach- lover so probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

Absolutely recommended. Charming touches and the best food!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I had been staying alone in a local low-budget hostel when I got really, really sick. I asked the staff to bring me to a place with a private bathroom, and by luck and chance they brought me to Don Diego de la Selva. The next few days, Thomas (at the front desk) checked on me periodically, brought me medicine and water and fruit, and even had the kitchen make me vegetable soup when I was well enough. I didn't ask him to - he just did it. I don't know what I would have done without him. I am so grateful. Besides that, the room was spotlessly clean, with gorgeous natural lighting, looking out to a lush garden. I would go back to Tulum just to stay here again and really enjoy it this time.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank mquen10
Reviewed 12 January 2010

We fell in love with this hotel as soon as we saw it. The bungalows are set in a lushious garden, with iguanas sitting around and flowers all over. Meals (French - Mexican ) are served on a gorgeous patio, where you can also lay around and relax in the hammocks; you really feel at home and the staff is super friendly. We stayed in a bungalow without air conditioning, and the ceiling fan was more than enough to keep us cool at night. The room was spacious and beautifully furnished. Loved it! The hotel is about 10 minutes from the town center, on foot, but taxis go by all the time and you can get to town or to the beach for a couple of US dollars.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

If you are staying in the city7 of Tulum, Don Diego de la Selva is an excellent choice. Run by French people, youbreceive an excellent service, delicious breakfast included in the price (fresh fruit juice, fruits salade and bread + jam).

The cabanas are really all very well kept, clean, and with a lot of charming details.

The restaurant, is very good too. Well if you are European it is simply very pleasant to have the european touch again!!
:-)

(If you want to stay at the beach, they have Don Diego de la Playa too! guesing it's very good too)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple