“FRIENDLY COMFORT”
Review of Hotel El-Crucero

Hotel El-Crucero
Ranked #83 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I stayed at El Crucero for two nights. I had a large tiled, air conditioned, comfortable room. There is a large outdoor area with hammocks, chairs and tables. I enjoyed the friendliness of the staff, the tranquility of the setting and the comfort of the room. It is good to be away from the "hustle and bustle" of town.

The location is within walking distance of the Tulum ruins, the beach and a short taxi ride to town or the Bus station.

The hotel also has a dive shop which is very helpful for those who would like explore the area reefs.

The owner, Duncan is a retired hockey player and is a very congenial conversationalist. I highly recommend El Crucero’s restaurant. The waiter’s name is Geronimo who also is an excellent cook. Both nights, he made special sea food dinners for me. Geronimo is also a congenial conversationalist and he does speak English.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel El-Crucero

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Really cozy. We had both a room with a fan and then one with AC. The one with the fan was a little compact, but fine because hopefully you aren't spending too much time in your room. Nice common areas with hammocks for reading and resting. Also, great staff, the restaurant is good and there is a little shop in the front for basic supplies. It's a great location--20 minute walk to the beach and 15 minute walk to the ruins. It is a little down from the main strip of town, but it is a cheap cab ride or an even cheaper bus ride. Would definitely stay here again if I wasn't going to splurge and stay right on the beach. There is also wifi in the lobby as well as some computers, and I believe they have their own parking lot, though we did not have a car, so I'm not 100% sure.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Looking at the excellent reviews on here, it's the same compliments over again, and I can only add to them. El Crucero is fantastic; great spot (enjoyed the stroll to the beach, and enjoyed being away from the main strip) fantastic staff, and a really nice feel to it.

The rooms were clean, comfortable and interesting. The place was spotlessly clean and all of the staff were friendly. Extra credit to Geronimo and Edelkio (and apologies if badly spelt!) for their help with everything, and their warmth and friendliness. And damn fine cooking - the restaurant was a great place to hang out, and the food was good.Like in a previous review, the owner Sharona was incredibly helpful during a bit of a medical emergency, very much appreciated. Her friendly welcome and fun company were definitely highlights of our stay, and we wished we could have stayed longer.

One of those places that you want to recommend to everyone, and definitely one to go back to!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank London7456
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I stayed here for a total of about 3 weeks in Feb and March and had easily the most wonderful time of any trip I'd taken, largely due to Sharon and Mark and the hotel. I had intended to spend 2 wks in Mexico, with one of them in Tulum, but ended up extending my trip by a month, I had such a great time here. The beaches were some of the nicest I'd seen, the town lovely, and the ruins amazing. But the hotel itself and the people there were the life of the trip. El Crucero has rooms for any budget and is the perfect distance from town, the beach, and the ruins - easily walkable to any but not stuck in the crowds of them. There is plenty to do nearby and all the information you could need at the hotel. The place is quiet, clean, and lovely, with gardens and hammocks and reception for lounging, hot water, AC, and comfy beds. The restaurant/bar was always a welcome place for amazing but reasonably priced food and drinks and a more lively atmosphere to either meet some great people or relax for an evening. There were plenty of unforgettable nights spent there! The staff is definitely the best part, though. Sharon and Mark are wonderful people - so fun and warm and welcoming and instantly make you feel like part of the family. Sharon was amazing - a ready friend to talk to and even went out of her way to take me into town to see her own doctor when I ran into some small medical issues. I couldn't have asked for better treatment anywhere. I showed up in Tulum alone, but from the first night I spent at Crucero I felt like I belonged and had found a home away from home. I'd recommend it to anyone and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lkretz
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I stayed at El Crucero for a total of 7 nights in January-February 2011. I had read the reviews here and the interesting blog from the hotel website. I was looking for a place nearby to everything but didn't really want to get stuck on the beach or in town. I only needed a basic single room with a bath.
I arrived just before dark on a Friday and had reserved my first night on line. The hotel manager Eluccio welcomed me immediately and showed me my 300 peso room which was exactly what I was looking for. I showered and chilled out a bit. This hotel has a variety of accomodations for every budget and comfort level from the 100 peso dorm to a nice room with a balcony. They all surround the garden. Tired as I was, I heard the laughter from the palapa restaurant so I made my way through the garden and met owners Sharon and Mark for the first time. I told them that I felt I already knew them from their blog. Sharon is so much fun and a wonderful ambassador from Northern California. We hit it off right away. She makes everyone feel happy and right at home.
The real beauty of this place is it's location. I wanted to visit some Cenotes, the ruins, the beach and wanted to see a dentist in town. This hotel is right off the highway at the entrance to the ruins. You can walk to the ruins in 15 minutes or ride a bike in 5. The best part of the beach is just down from the ruins in the Santa Fe area so you are close to that too. When I realized that I could take a Collectivo for 15 pesos up and down route 307 to the cenotes and to town from right outside the hotel, I knew that I had it made in the shade. The entire staff was great, Isabel, Geronimo, Eluccio and of course Sharona The have the internet and a TV in the reception area. I loved staying there and we had some pretty wild nights in the restaurant like Sharon's birthday party. I really enjoyed my stay and plan to return when an easy and cheap trip via Cancun to lovely beaches, the cenotes, the ruins (Coba too) and the dentist are on my agenda.
Do stay here, you will not be disappointed!
Greg Banks, Simsbury, Connecticut, USA

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank glbanks
Reviewed 28 December 2010

I was most impressed my entire stay at Hotel El-Crucero.
If travelling on a budget, this place will give you more than your basic money´s worth.
Definately the greatest place to stay in Tulum, in all stayed there for 7 nights, very affordable, clean rooms and bathroom, hot showers, and comfortable bed.
The hotel is well suituated, a close walk away from the ruins and beaches.
The hotel restuarant had charm and lots of character and the food was always amazing.
The owners Sharon and Mark are the nicest people around and made my stay a very warm and enjoyable one. A home away from homes. I will definately be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank BMordecaiJones
Reviewed 12 December 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Crucero for the Tulum part of our 3 week trip in Mexico. You must be advised that this is definitely a budget hotel, but a great place to stay if you don't mind some little flaws. The room was quite musty the first 2 days, which was a major drawback, but since we weren't spending time in our room (who would with the ruins and beach close by!) it was not a deal breaker. After 2 days it aired out just fine after running the A/C. The staff is very helpful and friendly, which is part of why we decided to remain there. I think a few places nearby were a bit cheaper, but we didn't care to move just to save $7 dollars or so. The bike rental is a great deal, and we did that each day to get to town, the beach, and just a bit of exercise. The shower was not awesome, but that is to be expected at a budget hotel in Mexico!

The restaurant had good food, though little steep for Mexico prices. Still, it was convenient and the Senora cooking the food was very nice.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple