“friendly staff, but...”

Ranked #86 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Belgium
“friendly staff, but...”
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed at El Crucero because it was the cheapest hotel in the area, close to the beach.
The staff was really friendly and helpfull.
The owner, a elderly woman, was very obnoxious.
The only advice I can give...stay away from here, but if you like to get free drinks,and give her attention,...go for it.

The rooms need some attention. The shower is very poor, and the toilet doesn't flush like it's supposed to.
The AC is included in the price, but is very noisy.
In other words, it shows there is no maintenance being done.

It's sad, because this hotel has potential,and with a man around, to fix these problems,it could become a interesting place for backpackers.

It's close to the ADO bus,the ruins,and if you don't mind walking a bit, you are like 20 min. from the beach.

The restaurant staff, was also very nice and funny, and the food was good (price quality).
Across the street there is another ho(s)tel,that you could check out.
If your looking for more cheap places, go to the center,across the ADO bus station, you find a amazing shop that sells fresh juice,and natural ice cream,and they will help you in anyway they can.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank killroyBelgium

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2010

This hotel only cost 350 pesos a night, so for that reason I believe that it was worth the very low cost. But I can't say this was a hotel I would recommend. When rating this place, I would say it meets all acceptable standards of a hostel but NOT a hotel.

First of all, it is included in the Lonely Planet as part of the downtown hotels, but it is in fact a 3-5km cab ride outside of town so don't be fooled by this. It is a 15minute walk to the Tulum ruins and the beaches, so I felt that I wasn't getting the benefits of being downtown or on the beach but instead stuck awkwardly between the two.

The highway is immediately beside the hotel and I am not picky about noisy hotels but the trucks didn't stop all night. At times it seemed they were going to drive right through our room.. Our bed had only 2 small single blankets and so I was freezing cold.
The room didn't feel terribly secure, as the windows are wooden slats with a mosquito net - fairly easy to break into. The toilets in the room are on a soak-away system, which means it isn't on a proper sewage system. Toilet paper goes in a bin next to the toilet.
On the upside, the room was clean.

The bar is a nice place to hang out, we didn't have any problems with loud patrons. Breakfast in the morning was adequate. The staff are very friendly. The grounds have interesting, cosy little spots with hammocks and gardens.
We were expected to pay for 2 nights upfront when we arrived.
This is a solid hostel. But it's not a hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
markcrucero, owner at Hotel El-Crucero, responded to this review, 27 January 2010
I am glad we are a solid Hostel. And I am glad you thought it was "Worth the very low cost". Thank you. All of the other comments are invalidated by other reviewers. Some people feel otherwise. Once again, reviews are "Subjective", as in; A subject's perspective, particular feelings, beliefs, desires or discovery made from information pertaining to a personal experience.
Simply, for some people this is just not your type of place. Feel free to email us with any concerns and we will give you straight answers about them. Before you book. And take a thorough look at our website.
Choosing to book the cheapest place you find without adequate research is not a good idea.
I apologize for any illusions that the "Lonely planet" may have given you. I am not their writer, webmaster, nor their editorial staff. I do though, maintain our website and will respond to your emails.
As to the sewage system, it is very normal, in that there are two septic tanks with an overflow system for times of heavy rain. During these times, (Which is when you stayed), that overflow system "Seeps into a "Created wetlands" area planted with broad leaved plants and such to detoxify and clean said area. It is common for all hotels and homes outside of the city limits and along the beaches and jungle area to employ this system. Most places in Tulum would rather have you put your waste paper in the lined basket so as to help keep the system healthy and working properly. There are no guards or staff to admonish you if you don't want to do this. Most people unaccustomed to travel in Mexico are a bit shocked that we are all not on a public sewer system. These people...well they choose to "Maintain themselves" as they see fit. So be it. We don't have "Potty police" here.
Thank you for the comment that your room was clean. "We aim to please...you aim too please".
I am sorry you were cold. It has been a very cold winter here due to the "El-nino" influence. We were experiencing nights down to as low as a chilly 65 degrees or so. Usually January is not that cold. A trip to reception or talking to any staff member here will get you the extra blankets to keep you warm. Normally the last thing people want here is a blanket, rather an extra fan is needed. We only put two blankets in the rooms normally. It has been our experience, that more than that and they become souvenirs for "Thrifty" travelers.
Next, the wooden slats are also pretty much common in hotels in our area outside of the beach and jungle. With the night security guard and constant local police patrols, I feel safer here than I would in many other places with bars on the windows.
Lastly, when you make a reservation or request multiple nights during high season, yes of course we expect you to pay for your stay in advance. Stay for one night, if it is not your type of place, check out is at eleven. If you choose to stay a second night, simply come to the reception in the morning and pay for another night. But if you commit to only one night you face the possibility of someone else booking your room the following day. That is pretty much standard anywhere.
Thank you for your review. Happy new year!

Travellers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Bristol
Reviewed 15 January 2010

The positive reviews of this place on this website are the most obvious fakes I've ever read. Having often used tripadvisor before, but never contributed - this place has inspired me. If you're a dirty teenaged backpacker, you may think it's ok, but otherwise forget it. Even if you're looking for somewhere cheap there are far nicer places for the same money. Located by a busy junction to a main road, it's a dingy, filthy, noisy hole. The food was a joke and there were mouse droppings all over the tables and chairs in the restaurant. What's more, the place was full of irritating singing/whooping people.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
markcrucero, owner at Hotel El-Crucero, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
The "Mouse droppings" you claim to have seen, are in fact the shedding leaves of the flamboyant trees that surround the open air palapa restaurant. The trees are very beautiful when in season and common in the Maya riviera.. But come winter the fine pinnate leaves, that are sometimes colloquially called "feather-leaved" type, lose their color. Turing to a rusty-brown tint, release themselves from their host branches and float with the wind.
Besides the two house cats that,(By the way have all of their shots and are neutered and well cared for)...just would love the opportunity to get a little fresh meat. There are no mice or droppings.
The "Dirty backpackers" you mentioned like to have a place to stay and were having a very nice time along with other guests singing in the bar. The bar often offers live music and guests are encouraged to take part. It makes their connection to El-Crucero stronger and provides memories. The bar closes at 11 pm so as not to disturb the guests. The complaint about the singing was made around 8pm.
Happy new year!
North California
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I stayed there for 9 days, and was very comfortable, all the way around. The staff treated me with kindness & excellent service, actually going out of their way a couple of times just to make sure I was happy. The food & drinks are excellent! You would be hard pressed to find a better place to eat for the prices charged!! They serve breakfast, lunch, & dinner, which was perfect for my situation, as I wanted to have that kind of convenience. It's a 5 minute walk down the road to the Mayan ruins, & a little further to the beach. The gift shop at the lobby is well stocked with all sorts of necessity's, and you can rent a bicycle there too, which I recommend if you want an easy trip to the beach! The hotels location makes it easy to get to town, as there is always a bus or "collectivo" passing by, & cabs are always available. If you are a newbie to Mexico, as I was, ask for advise from the staff in the office as to the do's & dont's. You will get good & friendly advise. One last thing, mosquitoes! You're in the jungle people! so expect them & be prepared with repellent. Bring it from home or you can buy it there. I recommend if you have sensitive skin, that you find a product that works for you & bring it, as the local repellent is quite strong! So, put on some spray & go out & play!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank BoontTraviler
Germany; Kaufering
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I have been staying already a couple of days in this place and as I am keen on getting acceptable value for my money I think this is a place worth to reccomend:
The Staff and the owners are very friendly and open minded, there is a busy road nearby but it has also the ADO busstation in front, the ruins are close, there is a car park for free, you may use the internet which is very good (best you bring your own laptop as some of the machines are in spanish only ) the showers have hot and cold water, nice sitting area in the backyard (provided you have some moscito repellent); it is about 1.5 km out of town; I will be staying ther again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank naumtho
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I am not sure what the people who wrote the sour reviews experienced, but I can say that this place is one of the most amazing places i have ever stayed. The staff was amazing. Our room was cleaned every day. Beautiful, natural grounds. The best bar in Tulum. The owner even sat with us at the bar several times and just hung out with us like we knew eachother for years. We became friends with the staff during our stay. As for the walk to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world nestled next to the only Mayan ruins on the ocean, boo hoo you have to walk for 15 minutes.... Every day we walked to the beach and counted over 40 iguanas on one trip.... beautiful jungle scenery... A+ Don't listen to the sour reviews.... If you want luxury sprinkled in fake smiles, go to Cancun.... If you want real people, real food, and real beaches go to El Crucero in Tulum.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
markcrucero, owner at Hotel El-Crucero, responded to this review, 14 October 2009
Thank you very much. We are very happy we made your stay a good one! Most people do appreciate what we have to offer and the personal care and hard work by the staff to make things right. It is the beautiful mix of our guests and staff interaction that make Crucero a hidden gem in the middle of a sometimes chaotic Tulum that is learning to deal with a changing customer base. Hopefully Tulum will not be another Cancun or Playa del Carmen, but it is coming. Enjoy it while you can before the huge hotels swallow it up. We remain affordable and you get out of your experience what you put into it. It sounds like you did just that!...Magic!
Thank you again.
Sweden
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Me and my girlfriend stayed at El Crucero for three days and it is by far the worst place I have ever stayed at and I have travelled a lot!

Dirty rooms, dirty beds, bad staff, bad service, horrible prices compared to what you get, no door to the toilet!!!!!, no toilet paper...

My suggestion is to NEVER EVER stay at EL Crucero!
You will find better places in town of Tulum for the same cost!

It is very very far to the beach and the ruins as well!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple