“Tropical paradise beside Tulum ruins & beach”
Review of Hotel El-Crucero

and 1 more site!
Hotel El-Crucero
Ranked #86 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
San Ignacio, Belize
“Tropical paradise beside Tulum ruins & beach”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I planned to stay two nights and sadly left after four. There are so many wonderful attractions around Tulum and it's so much nicer to be staying in a cool garden setting close to the sea rather than in the heat and noise of the town. Luckily it is easy to get in and out of town via "taxi collectivos". All of the staff and owners were very obliging and gave helpful advice on how best to visit the local attractions, as well as in fact which were best to visit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank AJDrummond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 23 June 2010

My friend and I stayed 3 nights here and thoroughly enjoyed it. The location is excellent: 5-10 minute walk to the ruins, 10-15 to the beach, and taxis and collectivos to downtown Tulum run right by the hotel. The staff is phenomenal and even tolerated my broken Spanish (though their English is better than my Spanish will ever be). The bar/restaurant is great and one of the most economic in the area, not pricey like the more touristy places. The owners are knowledgeable and quick to help you out with anything, from advice to tours.

Some of the negative reviews appear to be from people who expected one thing and got another. El Crucero is a nice backpacker spot. Nothing over the top, just a clean, safe, economical place in a really good location set in an awesome garden.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank danielwilliams33
ottawa. onatrio
Reviewed 16 June 2010

On our first trip to mexico we wanted to experience things in a more authentic fashion after many trips and many resorts my wife and I thought it was time to try things from a more personal perspective and it was awesome the relationships we built with the staff over the week we stayed at el-crucero were long lasting. Not having to share beaches with 100 plus people was great too. Oddly enough everything we did from snorkelling in the cenotes to walking around the thousand year old ruins in tulum the private beaches and the the private walks around the island were mere minutes from the hotel. We never spent more than 10 minutes in a van to reach any of the many destinations for day trips. That ment more time with my wife doing stuff and not waiting to do stuff . I want to thank the staff at el-crucero for a trip that was for more memorable than any of the previous trip we have had the pleasure of taking and we look forward to going back so we can finish what we started.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I love this place! My friend and i came here for just one night, planning to visit the ruins (that are only about a 10 minute walk) and cenotes (all over the area!) the next day.
We went to the bar, planning to just have a beer, play some cards then go to bed, but we began talking with the staff and friends, who invited us to a salsa club (La Zebra) on the beach! We spent the next few hours dancing salsa on the beach, in a rainstorm, watching the lightening light up the ocean! Amazing!
Never before had I stayed in a hotel with such a friendly owner and staff. We were welcomed and helped right off the bat...
As for the rooms... they are not luxury standards that you might see in Cancun... but they were tidy, clean, and felt safe. We had the room closest to the highway, but I could barely hear any traffic noise.
We chose to pay a tad bit extra and have an AC...good choice, it made it very comfortable and easy to sleep... as it was hot outside even at night.
The windows all have mosquito nets on them, which saved my legs and feet, which had about 60 bites all over them already from walking the road to the ruins at dusk with no repellent (bad idea). The owner's friend, however, gave us the rest of his bottle of OFF lotion, after he saw my friend and I swatting and mosquitoes and itching all over. Bring good repellent!
Overall, great hotel/hostel! Fun, friendly, helpful staff, great atmosphere, good location and good value. Wish I could have stayed an extra night!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Swells939
Belgium
Reviewed 22 March 2010

We stayed at El Crucero because it was the cheapest hotel in the area, close to the beach.
The staff was really friendly and helpfull.
The owner, a elderly woman, was very obnoxious.
The only advice I can give...stay away from here, but if you like to get free drinks,and give her attention,...go for it.

The rooms need some attention. The shower is very poor, and the toilet doesn't flush like it's supposed to.
The AC is included in the price, but is very noisy.
In other words, it shows there is no maintenance being done.

It's sad, because this hotel has potential,and with a man around, to fix these problems,it could become a interesting place for backpackers.

It's close to the ADO bus,the ruins,and if you don't mind walking a bit, you are like 20 min. from the beach.

The restaurant staff, was also very nice and funny, and the food was good (price quality).
Across the street there is another ho(s)tel,that you could check out.
If your looking for more cheap places, go to the center,across the ADO bus station, you find a amazing shop that sells fresh juice,and natural ice cream,and they will help you in anyway they can.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank killroyBelgium

Travellers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2010

This hotel only cost 350 pesos a night, so for that reason I believe that it was worth the very low cost. But I can't say this was a hotel I would recommend. When rating this place, I would say it meets all acceptable standards of a hostel but NOT a hotel.

First of all, it is included in the Lonely Planet as part of the downtown hotels, but it is in fact a 3-5km cab ride outside of town so don't be fooled by this. It is a 15minute walk to the Tulum ruins and the beaches, so I felt that I wasn't getting the benefits of being downtown or on the beach but instead stuck awkwardly between the two.

The highway is immediately beside the hotel and I am not picky about noisy hotels but the trucks didn't stop all night. At times it seemed they were going to drive right through our room.. Our bed had only 2 small single blankets and so I was freezing cold.
The room didn't feel terribly secure, as the windows are wooden slats with a mosquito net - fairly easy to break into. The toilets in the room are on a soak-away system, which means it isn't on a proper sewage system. Toilet paper goes in a bin next to the toilet.
On the upside, the room was clean.

The bar is a nice place to hang out, we didn't have any problems with loud patrons. Breakfast in the morning was adequate. The staff are very friendly. The grounds have interesting, cosy little spots with hammocks and gardens.
We were expected to pay for 2 nights upfront when we arrived.
This is a solid hostel. But it's not a hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
markcrucero, owner at Hotel El-Crucero, responded to this review, 27 January 2010
I am glad we are a solid Hostel. And I am glad you thought it was "Worth the very low cost". Thank you. All of the other comments are invalidated by other reviewers. Some people feel otherwise. Once again, reviews are "Subjective", as in; A subject's perspective, particular feelings, beliefs, desires or discovery made from information pertaining to a personal experience.
Simply, for some people this is just not your type of place. Feel free to email us with any concerns and we will give you straight answers about them. Before you book. And take a thorough look at our website.
Choosing to book the cheapest place you find without adequate research is not a good idea.
I apologize for any illusions that the "Lonely planet" may have given you. I am not their writer, webmaster, nor their editorial staff. I do though, maintain our website and will respond to your emails.
As to the sewage system, it is very normal, in that there are two septic tanks with an overflow system for times of heavy rain. During these times, (Which is when you stayed), that overflow system "Seeps into a "Created wetlands" area planted with broad leaved plants and such to detoxify and clean said area. It is common for all hotels and homes outside of the city limits and along the beaches and jungle area to employ this system. Most places in Tulum would rather have you put your waste paper in the lined basket so as to help keep the system healthy and working properly. There are no guards or staff to admonish you if you don't want to do this. Most people unaccustomed to travel in Mexico are a bit shocked that we are all not on a public sewer system. These people...well they choose to "Maintain themselves" as they see fit. So be it. We don't have "Potty police" here.
Thank you for the comment that your room was clean. "We aim to please...you aim too please".
I am sorry you were cold. It has been a very cold winter here due to the "El-nino" influence. We were experiencing nights down to as low as a chilly 65 degrees or so. Usually January is not that cold. A trip to reception or talking to any staff member here will get you the extra blankets to keep you warm. Normally the last thing people want here is a blanket, rather an extra fan is needed. We only put two blankets in the rooms normally. It has been our experience, that more than that and they become souvenirs for "Thrifty" travelers.
Next, the wooden slats are also pretty much common in hotels in our area outside of the beach and jungle. With the night security guard and constant local police patrols, I feel safer here than I would in many other places with bars on the windows.
Lastly, when you make a reservation or request multiple nights during high season, yes of course we expect you to pay for your stay in advance. Stay for one night, if it is not your type of place, check out is at eleven. If you choose to stay a second night, simply come to the reception in the morning and pay for another night. But if you commit to only one night you face the possibility of someone else booking your room the following day. That is pretty much standard anywhere.
Thank you for your review. Happy new year!
Bristol
Reviewed 15 January 2010

The positive reviews of this place on this website are the most obvious fakes I've ever read. Having often used tripadvisor before, but never contributed - this place has inspired me. If you're a dirty teenaged backpacker, you may think it's ok, but otherwise forget it. Even if you're looking for somewhere cheap there are far nicer places for the same money. Located by a busy junction to a main road, it's a dingy, filthy, noisy hole. The food was a joke and there were mouse droppings all over the tables and chairs in the restaurant. What's more, the place was full of irritating singing/whooping people.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
markcrucero, owner at Hotel El-Crucero, responded to this review, 2 February 2010
The "Mouse droppings" you claim to have seen, are in fact the shedding leaves of the flamboyant trees that surround the open air palapa restaurant. The trees are very beautiful when in season and common in the Maya riviera.. But come winter the fine pinnate leaves, that are sometimes colloquially called "feather-leaved" type, lose their color. Turing to a rusty-brown tint, release themselves from their host branches and float with the wind.
Besides the two house cats that,(By the way have all of their shots and are neutered and well cared for)...just would love the opportunity to get a little fresh meat. There are no mice or droppings.
The "Dirty backpackers" you mentioned like to have a place to stay and were having a very nice time along with other guests singing in the bar. The bar often offers live music and guests are encouraged to take part. It makes their connection to El-Crucero stronger and provides memories. The bar closes at 11 pm so as not to disturb the guests. The complaint about the singing was made around 8pm.
Happy new year!