“8 out of 10”

GreenLeadersGold level
Warminster, United Kingdom
“8 out of 10”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Check in was relatively easy which is good after a 90 minute drive from the AirPort. An upgrade was offered at a reasonable price after l discovered that the room l had booked did not have an elevator. ( I had sent an email a few weeks before arrival to ensure this would not be a problem , but it was ignored and so l was left with no option but to purchase the upgrade as my wife had recently undergone knee surgery. ) As with may other guests ( read previous reviews ) l then had to spend a few minutes insisting that I had no wish to attend meetings for the group's 'time share' offering- their offer a of resort credit of 400 which was then raised to 500 dollars was gratefully declined . The room was a Preferred Suite , which at although dark was well appointed with an attached living area , a large bedroom , a large bathroom with both shower and Jacuzzi . Within the sleeping area there is a large TV with satellite feeds , a mini bar with with beers and soft drinks and an ipod station . There is a safe . The large balcony had a view of the sea-sea view at this resort means just that, do not expect a full frontal view . Wi-Fi in the room and around the resort is excellent . Overall the room could be rated very good although a little dark, certainly not as bright as the promotional photos. Food is rated excellent . With a no booking system and little buffet content all waiter service restaurents were rated very good with the Italian and the Sea Grill being excellent . The single buffet was principally a breakfast and Lunch venue; breakfast good and lunch adequate . The Mexican Mexican was also open for an excellent lunch on most days. The ' barefoot' beach grill was popular but not to my taste. I would only score Bars as mediocre as there was no real consistency in the mixing, but the resort table wine was of high quality. The beach and pool service for drinks was very good. Both pools were large and well managed and towels were in plentiful supply . Perhaps t,he most outstanding elements in the resort were the natural ones: the gardens were magnificently kept throughout the property and a room with a garden view could be said to equal a sea view. There was also an extensive area of managed woodland which was home to many birds and made an excellent morning walk. This was also true for the beach which was both isolated and beautiful once you accept seaweed as a natural phenomena. The only area where the resort fails in my view is in its gym facilities. Whilst there were a lot of free weights the machinery was extremely limited with only one bike, one elliptical and a couple of treadmills.The room and its situation were unappealing . All in all a good all inclusive resort .

Room Tip: overlooking the main gardens
2 Thank Ian L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was my first time at an all-inclusive resort. The trip from Ottawa was a bit long, though well worth the wait. Our experience at dreams tulum was amazing. Staff was great. Beautiful room. Food was way better than expected. All the restaurants were good, but the Italian and French were the best. All night room service is also very nice. The only downside to this resort is the beach. Its absolutely stunning, but not great for swimming. A lot of rocks and coral, but no big deal.

We had 35 guests for our wedding and the resort did an excellent job getting everything ready. We had our ceremony in the chapel, I would highly recommend it since it is incredibly hot out in the sun at mid-day. We did our reception at the dolphin pool and it was great. The resort photographer was really good too.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank 613Sean
Coal Valley, Illinois
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

Entertainment Team was Great. We were in Rm 1037 in the building with the lobby. Room was nice, but the roof leaked when it rained and water ran down the bathroom wall. Ton of noise from the roof they were evidently trying to keep the roof as dry as possible, kept me awake for quite some time. Sushi bar and asian restaurant provided the best dining. Minestrone soup at Portofinos very bland, tepid water at best although the steak was cooked perfectly. I had a great dinner at El Patio, but my wife's meal contained a chunk of rib eye fat approx 3 x 4" with a tiny sliver of actual steak. House keeping not great, no set time and showed up at various times of the day. Had to call down for coffee and water to be refilled several times. Grounds were beautiful and well manicured. Beach sitting area very nice, plenty of shade if needed. Ocean very rocky and not good for snorkeling. There was a very small sandy area where they have the trampoline anchored. A lot of kids, very noisy at times. Two pools, neither one was adults only. Bartendars and wait staff were very good and extremely nice. Biggest con to us was all the upselling. Started when we walked in and continued through out the seven days. It went from possible room upgrades and their very expensive VIP luxury package to wine that was not included in the all inclusive cost to an executive Chef's table where you had to guarantee a purchase of a bottle wine. We were at Dreams Puerto Aventurous last year which, in my opinion, was much better hands down.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fox E
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear FOX E

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay with us at Dreams Tulum.

We are extremely sorry to hear that our facilities did not meet with your full approval. I am glad to know that our service met with your full approval, I apologize if we let you down with our maid service and the sales promotors inside the hotel, I wish you reported it at the moment to take actions and make sure you felt comfortable during your vacations with us.

All guest feedback, both positive and negative, allows us the opportunity to improve our services.

Please rest assured that all of your feedback has been shared with the pertinent departments in order to be addressed and where necessary improved.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion; it is very important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve our service and achieve ultimate guest satisfaction. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again one day where we are sure we will be able to exceed your expectations and demonstrate the high levels of service and quality that we are known for.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My husband & I spend 6 days at Dreams. We stayed in a Preferred King Junior Suite Ocean Front. The room was wonderful! Patio was great to sit out on and have coffee. I agree with a previous traveler that the "preferred" room charge was not worth it! The benefits of the preferred lounge, which anyone could walk in and use, were not what we expected. I think any room at Dreams is great, don't waste your money on the preferred status. The grounds are beautiful, staff was wonderful, room service was prompt and the food overall was great. We spent most of our time lounging by the pools and beach. We spent one morning touring the Mayan Ruins which was fun.

I am sure we will be return customers! Thanks Dreams for a great vacation!

Room Tip: Ocean Front Rooms are the best!
2 Thank CarolynSL
Romeoville, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I had never really left the country before and had a level of anxiety about my trip. Added anxiety was due to the fact that I booked a 6 Apple Square Deal and had no idea what hotel I'd be staying until I got to O'Hare Airport in Chicago. From my research, I had a wish list of 1) Secrets Maroma 2) Dreams Tulum 3) anything else.

When the Apple Rep told us Dreams Tulum we were thrilled. The Apple rep at the Cancun airport made an arrangement for a private shuttle because the resort is about an 80 minute ride. Which was cool, we were excited.

Upon arrival at about 11am, we were greeted with Champagne and a cold towel, which was really nice. We were told that we couldn't check in until 3pm, but were free to access any of the restaurants and to enjoy lunch. We were then approached by a man named Humberto who explained to us the layout of the resort and such. He was very nice and helpful, but we learned his goal was to get us to listen to the "vacation club" pitch the next morning. We agreed and moved on to lunch at the Seaside Grill.

When we were able to check in, we got to our standard room and were thrilled with how nice it was. Truly one of the finer hotel rooms I've stayed in. From reading around, I gather some of the standard rooms are on par with much more expensive rooms. The hammock was a great touch. Also only about a 3 minute walk from the resort hot spots.

The service we experienced throughout our stay was impeccable. Housekeeping was superb. We left $5 for the morning person and $5 for the turndown person on various occasions just because we felt they went above and beyond.

Which brings me to another thing. I read often on this site about people who don't tip and complain that they don't get the level of service of those that do tip. I've worked my entire adult life in high-end clubs and dining. Money talks and it should. If you plan on drinking a fair amount, give your servers a few bucks. If you want quicker service, dig your short arms into your deep pockets. Human nature dictates that people tend to take care of people that take care of them.

That being said, I didn't notice anyone ever wait more than 5 minutes for a drink. I never waited more than 20min for a table at any restaurant during our stay. And I never experienced any of these 1-3 hour wait times for food that I've been reading about. Every server was very good to excellent. Nobody was trying to hard-sell wine which I really appreciated.

I truly enjoyed the food at every restaurant. They were all very good. The French restaurant could have been better, but one clunker meal out of 20 isn't bad

The beach was great. Always open chairs on the beach. Maybe a few more rocks than I'd like, but it's off a giant reef and to be expected.

The pools and pool bar were great. The entertainment team did a great job of trying to make everyone feel included, but didn't make anyone feel bad if they didn't want to participate in something.

I have only two minor complaints about the resort:

The "vacation club" pitch was about 90 minutes and felt like being at a car dealership. Just kept handing off the the harder-seller. They let us go after about 15 "no's". They actually showed us a "preferred room" that was in our opinion worse than our existing room.

About 4 nights a week, the area by the center bar turns into a bazaar/flea market and the purveyors are obnoxious vultures. They often try sell stuff for 300% more than the regular hotel store.

At the end of the day, the resort is wonderful and I'd stay again in a heartbeat. They made my wife and I very happy

6 Thank Adam J
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Visited Dreams Tulum in November 2013. Great place! The dream is a great place for family or couples. This was our third time with dreams properties and we were not disappointed. The gardens are vast and beautiful the property is well kept, I would recommend not staying in the older parts(a/c issues) the newer and renovated areas are really nice. The beach is great! but the water is really rocky and not much fun. the resort had lots of options for entertainment and tours, great value. A special note to Irlanda at the front desk, Irlanda made our trip, any issues we had she jumped to the pump and made us feel very welcome, Irlanda also remembered myself and family from the last dreams we stayed at two years earlier! The entertainment staff were stellar! Best resort entertainment staff I've seen. Special notes to Susie! Javier! Louis! and hector. We miss you guys and will book at this resort again.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer renovated areas. Preferred club was not to value.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Cheltenham
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have just returned from a fortnight at Dreams Tulum and were disappointed with our stay. After a long journey from the UK, we arrived at 7.00pm to eventually be handed a warm glass of unsparkling wine but no cool facecloth. We were given a map of the resort in Spanish, which we don't speak and taken to our Premium Ocean View Junior Suite 6310. The room looked fine but then we noticed the safe didn't work and the air conditioning wasn't very cool, so we phoned the reception and the safe was fixed quickly, but air conditioning still didn't go very cool. After unpacking we went in search of food....Seaside Grill was full up so we wondered off with our spanish map in search of other restaurants. There was a mexican evening on in the square with tables all set up, World Cafe was closed, Mexican Closed and we couldn't find the other restaurants because of vendors/stalls set up on the patio blocking the entrances (which we found the next day). We ended up ordering room service, but found some of the pages for room service were missing from room directory. The food we ordered arrived quickly, was very good and was the only time we managed to get french fries at the hotel.

The next day we woke up to a beautiful beach view from our large balcony and went in search for restaurants and pool beds. We were pleased we did not have to get up early to be able to get sunbeds with a sun shade. Lots of sunbeds on the beach but not so many around the pool with umbrellas and towards the end of our holiday, we did find that by 8 o'clock a lot of the sunbeds around the pools had been reserved with books etc. and not occupied until 10 o'clock. We never had any problems getting beach towels even after the rain storms we had several times.

Restaurants. World Cafe was a bit disappointing with food sometimes not very warm and not very tasty. Seaside Grill at night time was very busy but we found the steaks very good. Mexican was lovely at lunchtime with a different menu at night. French restaurant was very good with a lovely atmosphere and sometimes you could get a table outside, but you never felt rushed there. Asian restaurant was our favourite with great menu and a nice bar area to sit in whilst waiting for your table to be ready. We never used the Sushi restaurant. Coco cafe was lovely especially their frozen Baileys. Do try them. Italian .....where do we begin....AWFUL....We went there 3 times. 1st time we were not given a "your table is ready" buzzer so we had to go up and ask for one so we didn't miss our turn. 2nd time was better but were seated at not very comfortable table facing out from the walls. 3rd time was a disaster....we were given a buzzer, sat at the bar to wait our turn with lots of people coming in after us to be given buzzers. We saw a lot of these people returning and being shown to their tables whilst we sat there. When we went up to enquire why we were still waiting, we were told that our buzzer couldn't have been working and we would be seated shortly. We were not offered a drink when we were eventually seated so we had to go up to the bar ourselves. Never once did anybody say "Sorry". Food was ok there. No Italian atmosphere or decor here.

Most of the staff were very pleasant apart from the man in the gift shop which sells postcards, chocolates etc. We dropped a piece of wood out of one of the ornaments and he shouted across the whole shop that we would have to pay for any breakages. Never been spoken to in that manner before ( we are in our fifties).

We would have liked to be able to get drinks in proper glasses at night instead of the plastic ones they use during the day. We used to walk up to the Rendevoux bar in lobby to be able to have a nice after dinner drink in glasses, which made the drinks taste so much nicer. Only evening show we went to was the Fire Show (as we were usually eating) which was excellent. Well worth going to.

We were never hounded by the vacation club or spa staff which was good. Hotel grounds are beautiful and the beach is cleaned every day.

Room Tip: Upper floor ocean view.
1 Thank MolCheltenham
Dear MolCheltenham

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us. Your remarks are very much appreciated as they help us to improve our service, and our product.

We are happy to see that there are elements of the resort that you quite enjoyed such as the service and most of our facilities,however, we are very concerned to know that your experience did not live up to our usual level of service offered at Dreams Tulum, I truly apologize for the bad experience at our Italian restaurant and our boutique.

it is obvious that we failed to meet your expectations. I wish to reassure you, that I have shared and are trying to address your comments with our Department Heads to ensure that we take all the necessary actions.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coodinator
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
Kore Tulum Retreat and Spa Resort
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!