Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
US$811
US$743
Agoda.com
5,131 results
All reviewsseaside grillentertainment teamworld cafecoco cafefrench restaurantpreferred clubkids clubel patiosmoothie barfire showwine cellarexplorers clubactivity poola la carte restaurantsfoam partysugar reef barvacation club
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We were a part of a large group of 60 people who stayed at the Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa from 4/19/14-4/26/14 and 70% of the group fell ill with varying degrees of Montezuma's Revenge. Despite only drinking bottled water and drinks from a bottle or, can. My ailment lasted almost 2 weeks. Such a shame to spend so much money on what you anticipate is going to be a spectacular vacation, only to spend the majority of it sick. Although, Mexico has a reputation for this disease, we were told it is rare if you stay at an all inclusive resort. Suffice it to say, because if our horrific experience, we will never return to the Dreams Tulum Resort or, Mexico.

• Stayed: April 2014
7  Thank KLC2
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear KLC2

Thank you for sharing your comments with us through Tripadvisor about your recent stay at our resort. Please accept our sincerest apologies for an experience, which left you overall dissatisfied.

At the same time we would to inform that our hotel, counts with a very strict hygiene and quality control department, which follows the international standards and procedures required by the Distintivo H regulations.

The main duties of this department can be resumed in three points:

Inspection of raw materials, in order to ensure that no poor quality products are used. This includes auditing our suppliers, in their production and distribution systems.

Carrying out checks on our processes to ensure that the equipment, ingredients, buildings and temperatures are correct. This procedure considers that the people involved in this process have the required knowledge of food-hygiene control and standards.

Inspection of our final food product to ensure that no poor quality loaves are sent to the consumer.

However, this Quality Control approach is focused on the process, whereas the problems that customers may face can also occur elsewhere, this includes: weather sensibility, hand washing, outdoor contamination, and others

Again we apologize for any bad experience, we hope to have you back to our resort and and give us the opportunity to change the poor perception you have formed of us.

E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I have stayed at a few different dreams resorts so I know what to expect, but dreams tulum raises the bar! The location is beautiful, it is an hour and 20 mins from the airport but in my opinion it is worth it! We upgraded to the swimout suite for a good price. These rooms are very nice and quiet since they are away from the pools and restaraunts. Service was wonderful, we encountered no waits for restaurants for a group of 6. We tried all the restaurants and el patio was the group favorite but we enjoyed them all. The nightly entertainment included fire and light show and a hip hop show, they were professional level be sure to catch one. There's only one thing I would suggest to improve and that would be check in, it was too long and we wanted to upgrade and it felt like it was a bother to upgrade. Overall, our experience was great and we would definitely come back!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Holly F
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I am going to try make this as short and to the point as possible. My brothers review has been posted and well written, previous to mine. I won't go into things he has really covered but I will go into more precise detail of the problems that were encountered.

Trip Date: April 19-28 9 Night Stay
3 Rooms booked: One with Wheelchair access needed
Family of 4 + 1 mother in wheelchair and Brother (who recently posted his review)

My Background: - Senior Travel Agent for 22 Years specializing in All Inclusive resorts and
destination Weddings
- Currently Real Estate Agent with RE/MAX
- Very well travelled, have been to numerous all inclusive resorts from,
3 star ratings up to 5 Star (Sandals resorts)
- Expedia.ca - Elite plus Member

-Upon arrival at the resort, there were no baggage handlers to help us with our luggage. Family of 6 with 9 pieces of luggage, we had to bring in the luggage ourselves. (Something that at a large resort I have never encountered)

-There was nobody in line at the front desk, very quiet when we check in which was nice until I had to actually interrupt the gentleman behind the front desk and ask if it was possible to check in after standing there staring at him for 5 minutes. Never once did he say Welcome to Dreams, how may I help you? He proceeded to tell me after fumbling around for approx. 10 minutes that the resort was FULL and that the rooms we had requested were all in different buildings and that we would have to be moved to different rooms after 3 nights in the rooms they were assigning. So we had to go and get my Mother who is in a wheelchair to her room which they put her in the main building that did have an elevator but she was then by herself and as far away from us as could possibly be. (the one who needed the most assistance). After getting her settled, we were then told we would have to walk to our rooms with our luggage. We were not told a thing about the resort, about the activities and amenities, nothing at all. (something that was done consistently for new guests arriving and checking in) ( we had sat and watched them do this with new incoming guests during our stay). Finally one small luggage Valet came and tried to pile up as much of our luggage onto one small moving dolley as he could, The rest of our luggage we had to wheel ourselves.

I must say he was as accommodating as possible but he did not have a clue where he was taking us. We went on a tour of the resort at midnight probably to 5 different buildings trying to find our rooms all the while carting our luggage with us. I finally saw some workers dismantling the evenings tables and asked them for some directions as to if they could help us find our rooms. One gentleman who had only been working there for a week tried to help us, he was great, he took us to one of the bars and got us a drink as by that time we were completely worn out from dragging our luggage and trying to find our room. Eventually someone who had an idea where the rooms might be took us to a section of the hotel where it was pitch black, it was located over what looked like the shops, in through a small door and up some steps that were just bare unpainted cement steps into a very what seemed like deserted section of the resort. The lights in the hallway outside the room itself were not working either. Here they opened the one door to reveal a room that had frosted windows, the room itself may have been approx. 12 x 18 (216 sq ft) if that. It felt like a prison room. When you opened the windows there was a cement wall (hence the frosted windows). So booking a Junior Suite to getting put into this type of room was absolutely infuriating. Then they proceeded to try and open the door to one of the rooms across from ours for my brother and oldest son. They tried for approx. 1 hour to do this, I sat there patiently trying to hold my tounge until I couldn't take it any longer and I started to yell that they had better get someone up here that know what they were doing. Eventually they sent a manager and maintance gentleman up and they eventually were able to open the door only to find it had one double bed in the room not two. We had booked 3 rooms, two of them needing the two double beds due to my brother being 6'1" and my 17 year old son needing to share a room. So after much discussion they opened another room next to it for my son and he ended up having to sleep in there by himself in this section of the hotel that was definitely not a normal part of the hotel. (I later enquired with staff members that the manager lives upstairs in this section of the hotel and those rooms are used for mistakes and overflow) (Nice!). Especially after paying a large amount for this holiday( and paying in full 5 months in advance!).
The manager that was able to get us into these rooms finally, assured me that in the morning they would take care of us and we would be compensated.

The next morning after the terrible experience we had to go through the previous night, we went down to the front desk expecting that they would know about what we were talking about. I had to ask to see a manager and we had to wait for him and finally I had to explain to him what had happened and he was clueless to what had transpired the previous night. (absolutely unbelievable!) He did then say he was going to take care of it for us, we then ended up having to pack up our luggage and we had to wait around the resort until 3pm when they finally were able to assign us new rooms. So basically by the time we had new rooms assigned to us and we got into them and settled we had lost a whole day of our holiday. The rooms they did assign to us were nice, they were an upgrade from the rooms we had originally booked and they were all in the same building. Our room on the third floor never got any cooler that 25.5 degrees so it was always hot in the room. The other two rooms were on the ground floor and were much cooler which for my Mom was good. If we would have had to have stayed in the original rooms they had put is in for even one more night I would have left the resort and demanded a full refund as they were absolutely terrible.

But never once did the hotel check in to ask us if we were then okay, the whole experience was extremely disappointing and left a bad taste in my mouth for a Dreams resort.

Another experience which I also need to comment on is something that had happened later in our stay. My brother had arranged a deep sea fishing trip for us which he had booked in Canada previous to our arrival in the Mayan. The boat came to pick us up early one morning before anyone was really on the beach. We thought that was great that they would come and pick us up right there and take us out. (we were never informed that, that was against the rules of the resort itself) (probably because we were never given any information on the resort or a run down of the activities and workings). When we arrived back at the resort around noon as soon as the boat pulled up on the beach we were greeted by security guards and another gentlemen yelling and causing a scene. So instead of being able to be photographed with and enjoy the fish we caught we were yelled at and interrogated as to how we had booked this fishing trip and that someone at the hotel was going to loose their job if they had suggested we book this tour off site and not with them. We told him we were not giving him any information and how dare he yell at us and he also wanted to know our room number. He then turned his back on me and proceeded to walk away at which time I followed him and demanded to know his name. His name was Carlos he was the manager of the Water Sports center. He was upset that he obviously did not get the business for himself. Well if the hotel had done their job in the first place then that may not have happened, as I have to agree that it probably would have been in our best interest to book something at the resort itself and then they know you are safe and accounted for. But he was rude, abusive and I will not stand to be talked to in that manner by anyone.

The resort itself, grounds, beach, food, all as previously stated by my brother and other guests in previous comments. Staff except for front desk and managers all wonderful and always smiling and very helpful.

Would I ever stay at another Dreams resort again? Absolutely not! There are so many other resorts of equal quality to choose from that after this experience it just left a bad taste in our mouths. This Dreams resort turned out to be a nightmare in the making!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank tdumonceau
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear tdumoncea

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your detailed review about you recent stay with us.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed most of our facilities, service and the beach area.

We apologize for the bad experience at your check in as it was not made according to our standards, I would like to mention that we do our best to assign the room for our guests according to the category reserved, and taking all requests into account, however as you may understand it is diffcult to satisfy all our guests requests about room location or bed type since they are subject to availability, I apologize for the situations you experienced with your family.

We are forwarding your email to our Room Divisions manager, as we are concerned about the fact that you had to carry your luggage and you were not escorted for our bellboy as they usually do on a daily basis.

We will do our best to reinforce the areas mentioned about the maintenance of our room.

Regarding your comment about the fishing tour you reserved, I would like to inform that we do not usually inform that boats can not come and pick our guests at the beach area for a certain tour or activity as it has never happened before, we have an access control at our hotel to guarantee our guests safety as we must know which company is providing a certain service to our guests so we keep on track of them for security reasons. We apologize for the way that Carlos handled the situation we truly apologize for it, our GM has been informed about it in order to take actions.

Again we apologize for any bad experience during your stay and we truly hope to have another opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Kind regards.

E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator

Reviewed 2 May 2014

The overall experience of this resort for my family and I was disappointing. I will group my thoughts into categories for easy reference. Please keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I have not been to a lot of AI resorts, but I have been to another Dreams location which was great and the Valentin Imperial Maya which was also outstanding.

CHECK IN, RECEPTION:
Upon arriving at our location around 11:30 PM, we were not greeted, helped with our luggage and we even had to stand at the front desk for 5 minutes until one of the staff finally looked up and asked if we had been helped. In our situation we were traveling with a handicap person and 5 others with a total of 3 rooms. This trip was booked several months in advance with the request to have the handicap room on the ground level and the other 2 rooms in close proximity (for obvious reasons). When we registered they said we do not have 3 rooms together so we will have to set you up in what we have for tonight and move you 2 days later. We were not pleased, but agreed as this was just a minor inconvenience. the handicap room was nice and was in the main reception building with elevator access. Now here is where it gets interesting!! The rest of us were then lead on a cross resort wild goose chase looking for the other two rooms. They "could not find" the next two rooms after visiting a total of 3 buildings and and hour looking. We were then escorted to the patio bar for drinks while they figured it out. Finally we were taken to a building where they had our rooms ready. We were taken upstairs into a hallway that had burnt out lights and was pitch black. The 1 room only had frosted windows that opened up to an AC unit. The other room was attempted to be opened and the lock would not work. The spent another half hour calling maintenance and actually pulling the lock apart to access the room. Once the room was opened, It had one double bed, and we needed 2 as the proper room ordered was a room with two beds, so needless to say they had to scramble to find yet another room. All in all and to sum this up, they did not have our rooms ready or even booked with the very important special requests made at the time of booking. They moved us the next day into rooms the were close together and appropriate.

ROOMS:
The rooms were nice at first glance of course, but after occupying them for a bit, it became clear that this resort falls way short on maintenance and up keep. Some of the problems with the rooms we were in included phone not working, coffee pot not working, probably due to the wiring. (please see photo attached) fridges were cool at best and one rooms' barely worked. Shower head in one room needed to be replaced as it was spraying everywhere, AC units were random... One room it couldn't be adjusted, so you had to shut it off to get warm, or have it on and freeze, the other room barely cooled even on the lowest temp. None of these things are deal breakers and couldn't be fixed with a phone call, but it just added to the already tarnished first impression of the resort and overall experience. The rooms definitely had a run down feeling as other reviews have stated.

FOOD/DRINKS/SERVICE:
The food was great for the most part.. there was great selection with the multiple places to eat and we never waited more than 20 minutes (6 people) to get a table. The food service staff, Hotel and room service and beach service were excellent all round and we were always treated right. The alcohol selection was a bit limited depending on what you drink. We were looking for a good dark/spiced rum and there was none available from the couple times we asked. The only Canadian whiskey available the one time I asked was Canadian mist I think it was called, which is bottom of the barrel at best.

BEACH/GROUNDS:
There doesn't need to be much explaining here.. The beaches and grounds were fantastic. The 6 of us rarely had troubles finding beach chairs. They may have not been front row or in the best location, but that is to be expected with 6 people looking for spots to sit mid day.

The last thing I need to comment on is that 5/6 of our family were sick with "stomach issues" for most of the trip. This of course can not be directly attributed to this resort as we ate and drank off the resort area, but I wanted to mention it. Please make sure you only drink bottled water, never use the tap water in the rooms to drink or brush your teeth and follow the common travel precautions in this area to stay safe and healthy. ( I believe this resort recommends no drinking of tap water in the rooms but I can not find where that was written).

To sum things up, we were expecting more from this resort, especially when it came to the rooms. Please watch for a more extensive review from my sister that will be completed in the coming days. She was a travel agent for 20+ years, has traveled much more than me and may be able to give a better perspective on this resort.

Room Tip: Make sure you call ahead to confirm your booking and to make sure you are in the type of rooms that you requested.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank AOFA14
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear AOFA14

Thank you for sharing your review with us and the TripAdvisor community regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

We appreciate your kind words regarding our beach and facilities and our food options.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced at check with the rooms assigned in and the issues found in our rooms, your comment has been shared with the pertinent departments in order to take actions and avoid the recurrence of these situations.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you and recover your confidence in our service.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Our family of four recently returned from a lovely week at dreams. My 16 yr old son, who I thought would be bored after a few days, probably had the most fun! The entertainment team, especially Luis and Dio and India, really made it fun and easy to get involved in all the activities. By the second day they were actually looking for my son and husband by name to play water polo and volleyball. The pool service is excellent! Beatriz and Benito! You were fantastic! Food in the restaurants was good. We thought the seafood was excellent. The French and Italian restaurants were nice but took too long to get through dinner. Seaside was our favorite. Mexican and Asian were very good. We brought a stack of $1 bills and tipped our servers at the pool and at dinner. It isn't necessary, but these people work so hard for you, and really add to the value of your vacation. My 18 yr old daughter and booked massages at the spa. These were wonderful. Thankyou Ricardo for setting up for us! We booked two premium junior suites and were in the building to the right of the gust registration, overlooking the main fountains. It was a short walk to everything, yet quiet at night. I would come back to this resort again and recommend it to others!

Stayed: April 2014