“Best Vacation I have ever been on!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Best Vacation I have ever been on!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have traveled to Mexico many times, and have stayed in various cities. I have stayed at the Grad Palladium, Gran Porto Real, Iberostars, Dreams, ect. I researched extensively on tripadvisior prior to this trip with my husband. We decided to go to Dreams Tulum after being impressed with Dreams Punta Cana in the DR. I was nervous leading up to the trip because honestly the reviews on trip advisor are not the best for this resort, but we are so glad we chose it.
Check in - This the the first time staying in Tulum for us, so it did feel like quite a trek to get there. We had a non-stop flight (3hrs) then by the time you get your bags and travel the hotel it took us about 3 additional hours. We traveled to the hotel through best day travel bought through expedia for $40 US per person round trip. We had one other couple with us in the van. So the actual drive was about 1.5 hrs from the airport, making only one stop. When we arrived (about 2PM) we sat down and waited to be checked in. The check in process could definitely be improved. We received a drink about 20 minutes after getting there. They did have someone come over and tell us about the vacation club, but they did not push it when we declined. I had emailed concierge about a week before asking for one of the updated rooms near the restaurants and on the second or third floor and we got exactly what we asked for! We had room 4207 and it was an ideal location ( and it was not an upgrade). The room was beautiful! It was an anniversary and they had a bottle of wine, coupons, and fruit tray. The room was musty, but very comfortable. A rain shower, jet tub, two sinks, huge bed with soft linens, couch, tv, minibar and balcony with a bistro set and a hammock. Saying this I would NOT upgrade to the swimout rooms! We had to walk around the resort to find them and the location is not convenient and it is a shared pool. I would only consider them if you had small kids and you needed to be near your room during nap times, ect. Then it would be a great option.
Food- This was the best part of the resort. For All-inclusives Dreams does food very well. The Mexican, French and Italian restaurants were our favorites, but all were delicious. They have al acarte restaurants open for lunch and dinner which is really nice. We only ate at the buffet for breakfast. The Asian was not my favorite, but my husband had a great plate there! I Had better food than most fancy restaurants here in the states.
Beach- The beach is beautiful and clear blue water. I was worried because we had previously stayed in Playa del Carmen and they have beautiful beaches! I was happily impressed with this beach. Their are rocks when entering the water, but it is only for the first foot or two. Beyond that is great swimming water. Their is an area a lot less rocky that they have for swimming, you will see that. I also loved that you could walk in either direction for miles of beach without walking onto other big properties. We took a day trip to Playa Del Carmen and walked on the beaches and the past two years things have gotten very commercialized. Their were people all over trying to sell you massages, and get you to leave the beach to come to their shops. Not so at dreams Tulum.
Excursions- We did Xel Ha for the whole day and it was an amazing time! We paid $110 US per person for the day and transportation through best day travel. It is so beautiful and right near the resort. Highly recommend. We also did the free trip to Playa Del caremen through best day. They stop at a jewlery factory for 1.5 hrs before going to the city. So it just took a lot of the day, so I wouldn't do that again.
Grounds- The grounds were beautiful. They resort does look a little tired in places, but it is not a 5 star resort.. more like a 4. So they have updated the rooms and the grounds are immaculate, but the other parts of the resort do look tired.
As far as tipping goes. We brought about $60US for tips and used it all. We tipped about a dollar when getting drinks and 2-3 for supper. The service did not depend on tips, and we got great drinks either way, but we did like to tip for great service. The coffee bar was excellent and you can get a latte any time. (would be nice for it to open earlier though).
All in All we had the best trip! We loved the resort, food, staff, and beach! Thanks to Dreams for another beautiful vacation!

Room Tip: Email before hand and make your requests.
4 Thank Megan M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here on our honeymoon. We had big hopes for this hotel, as some of our friends had said it was great, and so were disappointed when it didn't quite meet our expectations.
We arrived at midnight and were greeted by a glass of some sort of sparkling pink wine, which was nice. Check-in was simple enough and we were told we had been upgraded to a slightly better room (good) with two double beds (why would honeymooners want two double beds?). We were then taken to our room and helped with our bags.
The room was nice. There was a TV and DVD player with mini bar included and a coffee machine. The cabinet that the things were in was missing the door knobs (!). We had a seating area and a balcony. Our bathroom had a Jacuzzi bath and a walk in shower. There was mould on the wall by the bath. As honeymooners, we had included a bottle of sparkling wine and fresh fruit, but this wasn't in the room on arrival. No problem though.
We couldn't get the TV to work but were too tired to care. We went to bed but the AC was quite noisy. My husband didn't sleep very well. As well as noisy AC, the bed we slept in wasn't very big. When we looked at it in the morning, it seemed smaller than a double bed. We were also woken up by people going in and out of the corridor door (we were at the end of the corridor) and also by housekeeping who buzzed our room at around 8am to find out what time we would like our room to be cleaned (we should have put the Do Not Disturb sign on).
We went to the reception and asked for a different room with a king sized bed (what we had booked) and this was arranged. We couldn't move in until 2pm but that was fine. We went and had breakfast.
The breakfast is excellent with a vast selection and I'm sure there is something there for everyone! Hot and cold options. Cereals, fruit, sausages, bacon, eggs, pancakes, breads, Mexican foods... just so much choice! It really was a great breakfast.
We had a walk around the hotel. The grounds are lovely with plants and water fountains. The main pool has a swim up bar. It's a nice pool but it was filled with American people on what seemed to be something similar to Spring Break (but the wrong time of year). The bar was playing loud dance/pop music and there were lots of people shouting. There were afternoon games involving carrying a ball between your knees and then kissing a girl with a lot of whooping and shouting. Fine on a normal holiday, but not quite what we wanted on our honeymoon.
There is another pool, which was really long, and my husband really enjoyed swimming in there. There are quite a few bars around and we had some food from the pool-sized snack bar. My husband had a hot dog and I had a pizza and this was great for lunchtime food. The bars are great and will make you pretty much any cocktail you want. There is also a coffee shop and a smoothie bar, which we loved.
The beach is lovely white sand and warm, blue Caribbean sea.
A lot of the sun loungers, beach beds and loungers all had towels on them and it was difficult to find somewhere to put our things, but fine once we had.
Our second room was nice. A king sized bed and similar to the first room. We didn't have any bath robes in this room so I called housekeeping and asked them to bring some. They brought two and we put them on, only to discover that my husband's robe had not come with a belt, but we couldn't be bothered to call again to get one. We rented a DVD to watch and tried to get the DVD player to work, only to discover that the DVD player wasn't actually plugged into the TV (and there wasn't even a cable). We had to call the reception and ask them to send someone up to fix it.
We went to the Asian restaurant (Himistu) on our first night and were really looking forward to having a nice Asian meal. We eat a lot of Asian food and have been to China. The restaurant was nice and we were seated quickly. Sadly, the food wasn't particularly good. We shared 3 starters and the portion sizes were very small. The best was the spring roll and the other two were only ok. Our main meals were ok but you couldn't taste the flavours of Asian cooking (chilli, ginger, garlic, soy sauce). The chef was obviously not Asian. We were quite disappointed.
There was a talent show on during the evening and we watched a little bit of that. A woman in her 50s, who was quite drunk, sang Shania Twain and then flashed her chest at the crowd. Again, fine on a normal holiday, but not exactly what you imagined for your honeymoon.
We went to the French restaurant (Bordeaux) on our second night. This is a nice restaurant with an adults only rule and feels more "fine dining". Our starters and main courses were really nice. We ordered chocolate mousse as our dessert and were very disappointed with what came. It was not fresh, not made on-site, and was rock hard and could not be called a mousse. I tried a little and it was awful. Don't order the mousse!
We had booked to have a Romantic Dinner on the beach for our final night there. This is an extra $135, which is a fair amount considering you've already paid for your dinner with the all inclusive price. We booked this via the hotel services and decided that I would have the seafood menu and my husband would have the meat menu, which were different.
Our sparkling wine and fresh fruit never arrived. We mentioned this to the hotel services one our second day and the lady said she would arrange for it to be sent up. It never arrived. The next day, we mentioned it again and the lady asked if we wanted it to arrive before our romantic dinner. It did arrive. A bottle of sparkling wine and two apples!
We went to have our Romantic Dinner on the beach. We went to the designed area and told the lady we were there for a romantic dinner. She said the manager would be along to seat us soon and said to wait at the bar. The same lady then asked us 3 times if we were "The Goldsmiths table for 4?", "The Joneses table for 2?", "The whoevers?" but we reminded her that we were there for the romantic dinner. This was about 25 mins after we arrived. Then she went and got the manager. We were taken to our table on the beach. In a hut with nice decoration on the table and candles. We had ordered a bottle of wine and we were seated and it brought to us. It seemed very nice.
Sadly, there was a wedding going on just to the side of us and so we had loud Mariachi music playing for our Romantic meal, making it a whole lot less romantic! Our waiter came and said hello and brought us some water and bread. We then waited at least 45 minutes for our starters to come, which were salads. When they did come, my husband had been brought the wrong salad but was so hungry (we'd booked our table for 7:30pm, weren't seated 'til gone 8pm) he couldn't be bothered to ask for the right one. The lobster was also overcooked and cold. When the waiter came for our plates, we said that my husband had a different menu to me and the waiter looked very confused. We explained and he said he would check with the kitchen. Our soups then came. My husband's was quite nice. I was supposed to have a lobster bisque. My soup did not taste anything like a lobster bisque. It tasted like tomato soup with some pieces of lobster on the top (again, cold and overcooked). The main courses were nice enough but nothing special. The Mariachi music was also becoming a little too much. Our desserts came and we were brought the same dessert, even though we were supposed to have different ones. We said this to the waiter and he went and got the manager. She explained that this dessert was the best one (except my husband doesn't like cream very much) but that my husband was supposed to have a chocolate mousse from the French restaurant and she could bring him that instead?! Nooooo! Or would we like another photo of us to make up for the mistakes? So we were not very impressed with the romantic meal and refused to pay for it.
The staff in the hotel were all friendly and did whatever you asked of them. The hotel was clean and tidy.
All in all, this hotel was ok. There's no one thing that we could say really made our stay not very good, but it was all the little things that went wrong/we had to ask have sorted out that just stood out. The things going wrong/we had to ask to be sorted out seemed to just be continuous. And it was silly little things that should just be ok anyway, e.g. DVD player plugged in to the TV and a bath robe not coming with a belt.
I can imagine if you come here for a generic holiday then it's great. But I would definitely not recommend this hotel for honeymooners.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms overlook the main walkway through the hotel. There are lots of plants and trees in...
4 Thank KA1983
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Katie A

Firt of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review about your recent stay with us.

We appreciate your kind comments on regars of our facilities, our personalized service and some of our restaurant options, we apologize for not having exceeded your expectations during your stay we will share your review with our Food and Beverage department in order to improve the areas mentioned.

We apologize for not assigning the appopiate bed type at your check in, we do our best to assign the adequate bed type for our guests, however as you may understand it depends on the availability, we are happy to know that our Front Desk offered another room option for you the following day.

We feel sorry if you did not receive amenities at arrival, and the issues you encountered in your room and the inconvenience with the romantic dinner, we will definitely take actions to avoid the recurrence of these situations you experienced during your honeymoon.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion; it is very important to us as we are always looking for ways to improve our service and achieve ultimate guest satisfaction. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back again one day where we are sure we will be able to exceed your expectations and demonstrate the high levels of service and quality that we are known for.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator.
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from Dreams Tulum, had mixed feelings going after reading reviews on here but I now think there us some sabotage going on as we had a great time.

Arrived to be met with chilled jasmine hand cloths and a drink as well as a big welcome. We were offered an upgraded room at $30 a night to a premium suite but we decided to see what out deluxe garden room was like first. When we saw it we were more than happy and decided not to upgrade. I had sent room requests through asking for a modernised room on second or top floor in quiet area not to far from pools and restaurants. They gave me exactly that and confirmed all rooms have now been refurbished. They told me if we changed our mind about an upgrade just yo let them know. We didn't.

We were met by a vacation advisor who told us about the resort and surrounding area and also the vacation club, I made if clear we were not interested, so he explained briefly and said okay that's fine. There was no hard sell, but if you did want yo listen to 90 mins you could choose spa/ hire car vouchers etc. we chose not too. He was very polite and informative worth a few minutes and just be clear you are not interested if you aren't.

The door safety latch was broken in our room and having two toddlers that could open the roof this was a concern, we informed reception and it was replaced within 2 hours.

I certainly did not find the pool/beach waiter service to be lacking without tips. The staff constantly asked and changed warm drinks, they even brought special cocktails for the kids such as banana a and Shirley temples which my kids lived even if it was just grenadine and lemonade. We tipped but not all the time just now and then.

We were a little disappointed with the world cafe buffet restaurant on a night time as good was jot jot but it was early so not many in, at breakfast it was fantastic there though. All other restaurants were very good our favourite was the Italian.

One pool was noisy with bar and activities other was quiet proven with our kids in it and both near the beach where there were plenty of sunbeds. Ones around the pool were taken first but we preferred beach ones near quiet pool anyway as there was a fab breeze off the sea and view was amazing.

All staff were very friendly and polite and always said hello.

Kids tried explorer club twice and loved it, they really put a load of effort into the activities with new activity every 30 mins. Staff were lovely and I was concerned before I went.

We hired a car to go to chichen itza as the trip would be yo long a day got our kids, car hire with car seats was only £60 all in and only cost £15 fuel. It was worth the trip to get there early before the crowds and was cheaper than a trip.

We also got a taxi to tulum ruins which cost 150 pesos about £7.50 and they were lovely well worth a trip. Taxi was welcome with heat rather than a bus or collectivo.

Gardens are superb and we found hotel very clean with the most comfortable beds.

Pad rinks were lovely and premium and were delighted with mojitos, margaritas and Jack Daniels and come as well as beer on tap

2 Thank monkeytours
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Dreams Tulum the last week in May. We are normally Sandals customers but needed something for our children ages 9 and 7. Upon arriving in Cancun, we took the shuttle provided by our charter and yes, it was a two hour drive with all the stops. When we left, it was a direct shuttle taking a little over an hour and fifteen minutes. This didn't bother us at all as we have experienced similar travel times between airport and hotel in Jamaica and St Lucia.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, every staff member we met was friendly and helpful. The bellman, front desk, bartenders, housekeeping... I can not stress enough how wonderful we found the staff to be. We were quickly checked in and brought to our Junior Suite with two beds.. The room was clean, the a/c was working and the bathroom was fully stocked. At no time during our trip were we wanting for anything. We always had enough towels... and the only day our room was not serviced was because we had left the "Do Not Disturb" light on.

The beach is gorgeous.... clean soft sand and raked every morning of the small amount of seawood that comes in. We did see some trash about ten minutes walk south of the property. Not the resorts fault. Yes there is rocks in the ocean... the resort is situated on the second largest reef in the world. There is a very clearly marked swimming area and we spent a lot of time in the water. We never had trouble finding chairs... most people moved them around to whatever area they desired. The waitstaff came around every ten minutes or so and served us at the pool or beach area. There are two pools: the larger of the two has the swim up pool bar and often has some activities going on like water polo. We never joined in but were never bothered by it as the pool is large. The smaller rectangular pool is quieter.

Most of the restaurants had a dress code at night... bermuda shorts and a collared shirt for men, woman just had to be dressed in more than a swim suit. The restaurants do not take reservations and we did not wait once. The food was fantastic.

I would never say that this resort is noisy or busy. Yes, the main pool has stuff going on but thats about it. Yes, we could here some distant noise at night but this place pretty much shuts down at 11pm. Not once were we bothered so much we couldnt sleep.

The gem of Dreams is the Explorers Program for kids. From 9am-10pm you can drop off your child age 3 and older. There is a schedule for every day... activities like the splash pad, crafts, rock wall climbing, pool swimming, beach play. They take your child to lunch and dinner. Every night after dinner they kids get to dance on the main stage. Our daughter loved the program and went every day, all day. Our son came and went every day. He preferred to swim all day with us. Lilia, Berniece and Ana are the three staff members that we saw at the program and they always had a smile on their faces and were attentive and kind. My husband and I would often drop in and watch them from afar.... they were fantastic. They didn't have pagers when we were there but we brought walkie talkies for our kids to use whenever they wanted to come back to us as they are not allowed to leave without a parent.

I'm not sure what else I can say... Beautiful resort, fantastic staff, great food. We will visit again.

Room Tip: Even if you were at the farthest room from the beach, it is still only a five minute walk. The clos...
5 Thank Meghan R
Kent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We are staying here for another couple of days yet & we've had 1 day of sunshine & the rest has been rain & more rain predicted! There is nothing to do but stay in your room! We even resorted to renting a DVD today to pass time! It's a shame as lovely hotel and staff are lovely but there is no entertainment in the evening that's indoors (sheltered from the rain) so we have been going to bed mega early just to pass the time!! Quiet disappointed for a 10 hour flight here, would much rather go to Egypt! Just advise anyone to research & do not book during rain season as you will be Wastin ur hard earned money!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Abby19921
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Abby19921

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us.

We feel very sorry for the fact that it was cloudy and rainy recently, we are surprised to hear that you mentioned that we do not have rainy day activities since a form with the day/rainy day activities is delivered to all of our rooms with the scheduled activities and it is also posted in the wall in our restaurant area with their location.

We are saddened to read that you chosen to give us a very poor rating due the weather conditions, as you may understand it is out of our control, it is normal to have some rain during rainy season however due our tropical weather it could be cloudy but not rainy all day during it.

We appreciate your understanding and we sincerely hope the weather to get better so you can enjoy your precious vacation as you deserve.

Sincerely

E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Two major problems with this place: extremely noisy, and sheets were dirty in our room.
We opted for the Hacienda Preferred Club suite and it was musty, old and worst of all the sheets and coverlet were covered in sand. When my husband went to inform the front desk, after a long exchange, they offered to change the sheets. No apologies, nothing.
The room was pricey and the noise level is unbelievable. Had to download a whitenoise app on my iPad in order to sleep.
We opted to stay at this place while attending a friends wedding in Tulum because we were afraid of the smaller hotels with no AC, but wished we stayed at one of the small places on the water. Such a different vibe.
There is no quiet at this resort, the service is hit and miss and the place reminded me of Las Vegas in terms of activity and chaos.
Would never return, even if it was free. Unfortunately we paid double here over other much more wonderful places beach-side in Tulum!

Room Tip: Do not stay at the back of the hotel near the pool. Very loud!
Dear SFholidayer

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I apologize that your expectations were not fulfilled during your stay. We understand that there is always room for improvement and our guest´s experiences play a key role in this continuous process.

I already let our Management know about your review in order to take actions and improve the areas mentioned.

Thank you again for sharing your review. We truly hope to have the chance to welcome you back. We are confident that in any future stay with us we will surpass expectations.

Sincerely

E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

All inclusives have to be all inclusive, meaning, they have to appeal to the widest variety of people because they hinge on volume. So, the key to having a spectacular vacation here is expecting the resort to be really good at a lot of things, and not excellent at a few things. If you have that sort of mentality going into your vacation at Dreams Tulum, you will enjoy your stay immensely.

The grounds are really nice, though the beach is a little rocky and the pools could be better. Still, I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the property is.

The food is good - some of it was even delicious. If you are looking for foodie level fare, again, this is not your resort, and I'd suggest you wouldn't find it at any all-inclusive. I particularly liked the Italian restaurant.

The drinks are also good. Depending on the bartender and what you ask for, the strength of the beverages can vary, but, on the whole, they were stiffer than drinks I've had at other all-inclusives. You won't have to drink 19 pina coladas to get drunk!

The staff is incredible. They are very busy, yet very quick. It is hard to imagine a friendlier bunch of people. Very impressive. There are a few moments in the check in process where they lay on the hard sell for the rest of the Dream communities, but once you get through that it is all good.

The room was very nice - much better than I expected for an all-inclusive. Fridge was well stocked, we had the view we paid for, and the room was well cared for during our stay.

Though there is no need to venture outside the resort to have a good time, I recommend checking out a ceynote or two, and definitely heading into town for a taste of the local fare. Also, the public transportation system is very, very cheap and good. No need for taxis or rental cars.

4 Thank Mark E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Kore Tulum Retreat and Spa Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,345 reviews
Grand Palladium White Sand Resort & Spa
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!