“Beautiful resort with great customer service”

Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This resort is absolutely beautiful. The staff was friendly, rooms are spacious and clean, beaches are gorgeous and pool is perfect. In comparing the nightly entertainment to the Dreams in Punta Cana, I would say that the entertainment in Tulum is good but not excellent. It may have been the time of the year we visited that the nightly entertainment wasn't as lively. We still had a great time and enjoyed our trip. There is a wide variety of food to choose from and I enjoyed eating set all of them. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Alyssa R
Write a ReviewReviews (4,623)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We went to dreams tulum last year!We very much enjoyed our stay.We met two fantastic staff members names Sylvia and Carlos! The pool was very clean the rooms were tidy! We had so much fun so many things to do! I would recommend the Swim out room there is a pool right outside your room!!!!

Thank you Dreams Tulum for such a wonderful place to stay! And Dreams is very friendly!

Room Tip: Swimout room very tidy and nice pool right outside your room!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We normally use timeshare exchanges but it didn't work out this year and my eldest pointed out that for the cost of exchange fees, air fare, all-inclusive fees, airport transfers etc. we could buy a package deal. I looked at what the tour operators were offering and used TripAdvisor to finalise my choice. I tend to ignore the "gushers" for whom everything is awesome with no clarification and the "moaners" who write endless detail about seemingly trivial incidents. The overall tone of most reviewers is as per the title - not perfect, but still a great experience and they are bang on target.

Tulum is the furthest resort from the airport - about 1.5 hours non-stop. Get a private transfer so you don't have to stop at every hotel on the Riviera Maya en-route. A family using the coach transfer are leaving an hour and a half earlier than us to catch the same flight home!

We travelled as a group of six - Mum & Dad (mid 50s), three kids - all boys 20,18 &16 and the 20 year old's girlfriend. The package deal was a Deluxe Garden View room. Virgin were offering a free upgrade to suites subject to availability but suites only come with a kingsize bed and the 18 & 16 year old would rather eat their own hair than sleep together so I e-mailed to ask for specific bed configurations and adjacent rooms. No problem - suite for Mum & Dad, kingsize for the lovebirds and twin doubles for the teens. All next door to each other. Check-in was swift. We were in the Hacienda Guadalajara - a short stroll to the restaurants, pools, etc. but far enough away from the evening entertainment.

The rooms are a generous size, well appointed and the beds are very comfortable. The aircon is efficient (if the maid doesn't switch it off!) but the ceiling fan was too noisy to run during the night. The twin double doesn't have a bathtub but the kids are beyond messing about with bubbles and much prefer the walk-in shower with it's big drenching showerhead. The glass jug to the coffeemaker was missing in our room but appeared quickly following a phone call. Our balcony had no hammock - not a problem, I didn't bother ringing for one. One room had an iron and no board, the other a board an no iron. Again it wasn't worth picking up the phone.

Housekeeping is a bit hit and miss. Cleaning is done daily but the time varies. The rule is if you want a clean towel leave the dirty one on the floor. We never threw hand-towels or facecloths on the floor but they regularly vanished without replacements, as did the bathmat. There was always enough towels to get dry but there were times I wanted something smaller than a bath sheet.

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments about the in room fridges. Nothing that comes out of them is ever cold. The minibar man is however much more reliable than the towel girl with the re-stocking.

The in room safe is plenty big enough to take a widescreen laptop and a load of camera equipment. Leave anything vaguely valuable out and the staff will put a polite note on it asking you to put it in the safe!

The resort is a good size, big enough to offer variety but small enough not to need buggies to get from one side to the other! The guests were a cosmopolitan mix of north and south americans, mexicans and europeans. There were couples and families with kids large and small. It is known as a wedding destination and the resort was hosting 49 weddings in July. If you're concerned that countless other peoples special days will impact on your own special holiday - don't! I never saw a single bridal party in 14 days!

There were some more "universal" special days while we were there. The 4th of July (not a big thing for Brits, but any excuse to party!) was marked with a beach party including live rock band (not half bad!) and the World Cup. In addition to the Sky Sports Bar, another room was dedicated to footie fans with a big screen projector showing all the games with big bowls of nibbles and endless cold beers - or whatever else takes your fancy.

The restaurants are excellent. The buffet has plenty of choice and rings the changes with some speciality nights too. There are also special outdoor buffets on the entertainment patio, e.g. Mexican Fiesta Night. No reservations required works well - the longest we waited for a table was 10 minutes. Contrary to a previous reviewer's report, we had house wine, red and white, by the glass in the French restaurant. We had good meals in the Italian and Seaside Grill. The only disappointing meal was in the Mexican - the food was fine but bland. Burgers and pizza at the pool grill were very good. The Coco Cafe is an oasis of air-conditioning just a few steps from the pool with great coffee and naughty snacks.

The activity pool was ACTIVE - my boys loved the water volleyball. The relaxing pool is much quieter. Beds by either pool are at a premium - people armed with towels reserve them early. There are plenty of (less comfortable) recliners on the beach. The bar waiters serve the beach regularly. The seabed is mostly rocky but there is a sandy area roped off. One of the great things is you can walk a long way in either direction before bumping into another resort's sunbeds! There's even a little cenote breaking through the seabed about 5m out not far from the end of the resort beach. The boys made good use of the water sports, including the diving (at extra cost). Sadly it was too breezy to get the Hobie Cats out, but the kayaks were fun.

Many reviewers have cited the wonderful staff and I echo their sentiments 100%. The staff are truly great, ever helpful, always smiling, even if they haven't always got the right sized towels!

We've had a great time, young and old and would highly commend this resort.

Room Tip: The basic Garden View rooms are excellent value. Ground floor rooms are subject to noise from above...
11  Thank Michelle J
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had no problems during our one week stay and met many wonderful people, guests and staff. We enjoyed the buffet, Portofino, Coco Café, and the Ocean-side grill for most of our meals and snacks. We never had to wait to be seated and found a wide-variety of food. The staff works diligently to make your stay amazing. Every time we had an issue (ie, blocked toilet) it was dealt with promptly and professionally. Room service was also quick and efficient. The Entertainment staff is friendly and they work hard; they go out of their way to get to know you. Sometimes we had to wait for a drink at the pool bar, but only because other guests were being served. We stayed in one of the Hacienda rooms, close to the lobby. It was a bit of a walk to the beach but worth being in a quiet spot at night. The room was very nice and kept tidy by housekeeping and when we called for extra towels, etc there was no problem at all.

The Spa staff is stationed all over and also walk around the pool and beach trying to sell the services. They did offer many specials and I did not find them aggressive at all. We avoided the concierge as we checked in because we knew it would be a sales pitch and were not bothered by them at all throughout our stay.

There was tipping, especially in the restaurants at lunch and dinner but it was very subtle. The employees were very thankful for the tips and did not seem to "expect" them. We felt that the bartenders and servers wanted us to enjoy ourselves. When my daughter did not like her food at the mexican restaurant, the waiter wanted to get her something else. Yes, there were times when service was slow, but nothing to get annoyed about.

The beach was beautiful and you could take a walk in either the direction. The pools were nice and refreshing. Yes, the towel game is in full force but the beach butler and other staff would help you find chairs / shade if you came later in the day. More chairs and umbrellas by the pool would be nice.

We had no stomach issues at all. My husband did have to check in with the on site doctor because he forgot a prescription. He was very helpful and gave him a prescription without charging him.

Please give Dreams a try! It is not a mega resort but big enough to offer a variety of food and activities. Thanks to all of the staff and guests that made our stay so special!

5  Thank wackyjacqui
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We celebrated my in-laws' 50th anniversary at Dreams Tulum. The staff helped to make sure we had a great time for this special occasion. Everyone from groundskeepers to concierge was friendly and helpful. Some staff even remembered our names (impressive, given near 900-people capacity the week we were there). With their help, we organized a nice dinner in a palapa on the beach for my in-laws. There were plenty of activities for adults and kids. Staff recruited people for volleyball, water aerobics, kickball, soccer and fun contests at the pool. The "activity pool" was just that and sometimes was a bit too busy. We opted for the "relaxing pool" towards the end of our stay. The food was good, which we were surprised for an all-inclusive. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Treks to Tulum ruins, Tulum town, Dolphin Discovery and Dos Ojos Cenote were reasonably close.

The on-site dive shop, Play Aqua Sports, was very convenient. My 12 year-old son did a discovery/orientation dive in one of the pools before we did a reef dive from the resort. We also booked a guided dive in the Dos Ojos Cenote with them. The shop also has available fins, masks, kayaks, and sailboats for use. Thanks to Will, Miguel and Jamie!

All in all it was a very memorable stay for us.

Room Tip: Some in our group had rooms by the pool which were noisy during the day, if you wanted a siesta. The...
2  Thank John T
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just returned from a fabulous 10 days at this resort.
Having read some negative reviews before we went I was a bit unsure. No reason to worry.
Anyone who complains about things like rocky beach and long trip from the airport need to decide what they want from a holiday before they book.
From start to finish the one thing you notice is the staff cannot do enough for you. Nothing is a problem.
We booked through British Airways and although they do not have a contract to have rooms in the Adults Only area they put it on request and sure enough we were upgraded at no extra cost.
The room was fab with a wonderful walk in shower and a jacuzzi bath.
We did not opt for the swim up rooms as that was an extra cogs but would do it next time.
The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and very beautiful. They never stopped working on the gardens.
The large pool had lots going on but we stayed by the quieter pool and never had a problem with loungers.
The restaurants were a real highlight. Have been to Mexico all incl before but were restricted in the number of times you could use the speciality restaurants. We only used the buffet for breakfast and on the first night for dinner but even that had a great choice of food.
Bordeaux was our favourite but we loved Portofino and the Asian. excellent food all round.
It was my birthday when we were there and we booked the romantic dinner on the beach. It was wonderful, beautiful food and service.
You can only walk straight into the sea without encountering some rocks on a relatively small part of the beach in from of the hotel. I find it strange that people complained about this as if they could be bothered walking to the right for a few hundred yards it becomes the most idyllic beach!
Why they all wanted to cram into one small part of the ocean I will never understand.
The rocks that caused the complaints are because the beach is situated on the 2nd largest coral reef in the world.
Normally we find 2 weeks on holiday a bit long but this time we could have stayed for 2 weeks.
Overall this is the perfect place for a relaxing break and we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Def book rooms in the adults only area
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JoyceB58
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed at Dreams Tulum for 4 nights in June as a husband, wife and 2 children aged 7 and 9. It was our first foray into the "all inclusive" Mexican market and left us with some mixed feelings.

First the positives. The resort presents really well. The manicured gardens are lovely, pools are well designed and modern and the beach is really nice, warm water and white sand, a little rocky but overall pretty good. The rooms were were also really good, very high standard, marble everywhere, clean and modern. The day spa was good, we had a massage and the treatment was excellent, couldn't fault it. We utilised the kids club and this was also really good. Not many children and the staff to child ratio was good and the children seemed happy there. They don't let parents come into the kids club for security reasons which weirded us out a bit at first, you wonder what they are doing in there but the kids seemed OK with it and we quizzed them very heavily about what went on and how they were treated, nothing negative noted. The food was surprisingly good. Given the resort is pretty inexpensive really and you get everything included (they don't even take a credit card for security - why bother) there seemed to be a lot of value. The food seemed fresh and they catered well for my son who has an egg and nut allergy with special meals and the chef always available to come up with alternatives.

With all this positive info you may be wondering why the title and only 3 stars. Now for the negative.

The first night in we ate at the French restaurant. We were tired after a long journey and we got stung in a bit of a scam. The waiter gave me a wine list with many expensive wines. I asked naturally enough, is house wine available by the glass. "No not in this restaurant" he replied. So I order a $60 bottle of red. He comes out and says the $60 bottle is sold out unfortunately and presents 3 alternatives recommended by the sommelier, all more than $100. Then he says "no problem boss you get $200 resort credit you can use for wine purchases it won't end up costing you anything". Being tired and flustered I relented. Naturally enough there were resort credits but the $200 was apportioned to many things and the total wine credit per purchase was $10. Done cold. To cap off the story the waiters name tag was "Jesus". I looked everywhere for the "I got scammed by Jesus at Dreams Tulum" T shirt in the gift shops but my search was fruitless. Maybe a suggestion for Snorg Tees. I approached the concierge the next day and gave them ample opportunity to rectify this, I would have been happy to pay the original $60 and call it a draw, but they would only discount the total purchase by 20%. Still probably worth it for the interesting story.

The other negative....my wife and I both became ill. I note from reviews I read that this is a bit of a problem at Dreams Tulum. As mentioned the food looked really good, all hygiene steps appeared to be followed. But we both went down with serious stomach upsets about day 3 of the stay, and we had only consumed food there for the previous 72 hours so the odds are it occurred there. Strangely the kids were OK so perhaps they are using tap water for ice, I am not sure but exercise caution, perhaps ask for drinks with no ice and take a good supply of relief for gastro would be my advice as it is might inconvenient and unpleasant.

The other thing to take into account is that this is a bit of a party destination. People are there to have fun, drink themselves into oblivion and eat themselves stupid. The result, it can be noisy and a little confronting particularly for people travelling with young kids. If this is your bag then order yourself 3 margaritas, down the hatch and your troubles will melt away. If you are travelling with a family and a bit more reserved, get a room down the back away from the pools and beach and quarantine yourself from some of it.

Please take this review in context and remember, look out for Jesus and pack the Immodium

Room Tip: Up the front (beach end) for party, down the back for quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank TTFarquar
e-dreams, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear TTFarquar

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay at our resort with us and the TripAdvisot community.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed overall our facilies, the comfort of our rooms, our spa and our beach.

We are happy to know that your kids had a great time at our Explorer's Club, as you mentioned in your review parents are not allowed at the kids club for security reasons, we appreciate your understanding.

We are sorry for the misinformation at the restaurant, we inform that house wine is available at all our restaurants, bards and room service. We are surprised you did not reported the incident with the headwaiter at the restaurant for inmediate assistance.

Regarding the resort coupons mentioned they are in fact for certain services with extra cost, such as spa treatments, romantic dinners and bottles of wine, 40 USD are to be used towards wine purchase as you were informed. We inform that our F&B manager is in aware of the incident to take actions and avoid the recurrence of this situation.

Finally we are very sorry to hear you and your wife got ill during your visit to our resort. We inform that there is a doctor on site and everyday. He reports to the Management for every incident he assists. We are the first ones that want to know about any type of illnesses in order to avoid a massive contamination especially in our resort that holds hudreds of guests, moreover our company has a high priority for health & safety, and we get regular control audits from external companies. They come often to verify our system procedures, and we are getting excellent results, which show that our procedures are adequate. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal. At the same time, we inform that the ice is made with purified water by a certified supplier.

We apologize for the discomfort that other guests behavior could cause, and for any negative experience you may have experienced at our resort.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to have you again at our resort, as we are confident that we will surpass your expectations on a next visit.

Sincerely

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordiinator.
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com