“Beautiful resort + highly professional service = fantastic vacation”

Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful resort + highly professional service = fantastic vacation”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The beauty of this resort at every turn (even prettier than professional photos at times), and the high level of professionalism by every single staff member we met contribute to this five-star review. The astounding visuals of both the natural and architectural/landscaped environment can speak for themselves through all the photos (although unfortunately our trip from 8/14 - 8/20 seemed to have coincided with that of the brown seaweed, which I think is moving out by now), and the lovely sounds of rustling palms in the evening breeze leave me wistful on this first day home! In regard to the staff, we all felt honored to be treated with the serious dignity and professionalism of everyone with whom we interacted. Service was provided at a high level; in place of a kind of obsequious bowing down I had been (naively?) expecting, there was more a sense of quiet reserve among many of the staff, although they also seemed to have time to chat and connect if desired. Most requests were met with a positive response; e.g., on our last days at the swim-up bar, our "I don't know what I want--can you surprise me?" were met with delicious and colorful concoctions! A minor service request in the room was answered speedily, and overall the room was well maintained and appliances worked fine. Throughout our stay, the seeming sense of mutual respect among guests and staff members at every level added to the high quality of the experience.

Some other reflections and suggestions--

--Although we had chosen this resort partly due to information from our travel agent about availability of Kids Club activities for our 11 year-old, he ended up not using it. Unless we missed them, there didn't seem to be many offerings for children his age. Both outdoor adventure (snorkeling?) and indoor activities would have been welcome. On the other hand, we didn't really speak up and ask, so it's possible more activities could have been made available. Overall, though, I agree with other reviews that say that options for 'tweens and teens could be improved.

--Soundproofing in room was amazing!! Even with nearby shows at night, we were undisturbed by noise. We never heard noise from other rooms either.

--Ocean view deluxe room in Merida building was peaceful and lovely. Even when sitting on patio, the high walls on either side provided a sense of seclusion. One caveat: due to my mobility problems we chose a first floor room to avoid stairs to upper two floors. Although the ocean was fairly close, it was less visible when sitting on patio (unless I added some cushions under my seat to get higher up!).

--In regard to my mobility problems, the hotel was kind enough to lend a wheelchair for our stay, for which we are grateful. But a few more ramps and smoother surfaces could have eased the transport. In particular, a corner in the northernmost building close to the beach could be widened a bit, to allow for transport to the sand. More information about best pool access could have helped when making the reservation. Happy to discuss further with management.

--No problems with sales pitches, illness or other difficulties mentioned in recent reviews. We did receive a call from someone making a sales pitch, then chose not to follow up with a suggested meeting behind the (wonderful!) Coco Bar. No one bugged us further.

--We were careful not to ingest tap water, including for tooth-brushing. No problems with illness.

--As first-time guests at an all-inclusive resort (partly due to my mobility problems, which made the all-inclusive more convenient than my likely preferred method of traveling around and getting to know the culture more independently), we were a bit surprised by the seemingly distant vibe of many of the other guests. I would have expected more smiles and "nice day, isn't it?" but with some exceptions (thank you to those fellow guests!), people tended to keep to themselves. A more European thing? (Most of the guests seemed to come from the UK and some from Germany and other European countries, as well as Mexico and South America.) Or part of resort culture? Coming from New York City, I feel accustomed to balancing privacy with extending a warm greeting. Personally, I missed a sense of connection, and of just expressing gratitude for being lucky enough to have been there together.

--I feel obligated to mention: the discomfort of feeling sufficiently privileged to visit the most beautiful parts of a country that most of the population cannot contributes to a wish to get to know the Mexican (and Mayan) cultures more fully. The hotel literature contains some bio-like features about staff members, about which I chose to be interested rather than cynical (my naivete, again?). So maybe this is more of a fantasy and dream rather than reality, but I hope the experience of staying at such a high quality resort can somehow contribute to rather than take away from the higher calling of social justice in such a complicated country!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms in Merida building are peaceful and lovely, despite their close proximity to restau...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gevenie
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Genevie

Fist of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It is for guests like you who send us some nice, inspiring words after their holiday, that our personal finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work. We are very happy to hear that you appreciated our service and personal attention of all of us.

We will definitely take your recommendations into account for improving the areas mentioned in your review.

We sincerely look forwart to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Receive our warm regards

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator.
info.dretu@dreamsresorts.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (977)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
WAKEFIELD
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have just arrived back from 2 weeks at Dreams Tulum with my husband and 2 sons. We all felt it was the best all inclusive we have ever been to. The pool areas were lovely. The food was great in all restaurants and it was brilliant not to have to reserve a table for any restaurant. The longest we had to wait for a table was 30 mins which was fine as we had a couple of drinks in the bar first. It is a little way form the airport but if you have done your research you know this before you get there. We felt the area was perfect for us. All the staff were amazing and always so friendly. When we arrived the beach was stunning however there were storms over the sea at night which blew seaweed on to the beach. I was amazed to see men out digging holes for the seaweed everyday! They worked tirelessly. As far as I was concerned it was natural for the seaweed to be there especially from the coral reef! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday and if you don't want to hear the sales talk as we didn't just say no politely.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cjwakefield
Dear cjwakefield

Thank you very much for sharing this wonderful review about your stay at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa. Our team has been informed about your nice feedback; your opinion helps us motivate our staff and keep working with enthusiasm because reading that you had an amazing experience lead us to believe we are doing a good job.

Further, we would like to thank you for highlighting the attitude of our staff, it is good to see that we achieved our main goal, that being you feel welcome and feel satisfied with our service.

As you mentioned it is normal to see seaweed during this season in our beach, and in the whole area. We do our best to clean our beach for our valuable guests as you observed.

We hope to have the pleasure and the honor to welcome you back in the near future.

info.dretu@dreamresorts.com
Oakland, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was our first stay at Dreams Tulum. We have visited other resorts in the area and have found the Tulum region in the Riviera Maya to be our favorite.
We were looking forward to our stay at Dreams and staying in the Tulum area after reading Tripadvisor reviews and planning this trip.

-Arrival and check in:
Driving up to Dreams Tulum, one feels they have arrived to a very special place. Understated elegance comes to mind as we floated towards the reception building. The grounds were well taken care of and there was a calm feeling upon arrival.
Check in was seamless and welcoming.

-After check in: We were instructed to sit in the lobby and meet with a very tall English chap while "our room was being prepared"
Anyone who has traveled to the Riviera Maya knows what this is all about.........
To be clear, we booked Dreams Tulum directly on Hotels.com, through a Tripadvisor link.
There was no requirement to attend a timeshare presentation in our booking.
Yet, we had to sit with Mr. Cheeky Chappy, who did his level best to entice us into attending a presentation. "Oh, it's not a timeshare" he says "it's a membership in an exclusive club" he says.
Three times I informed Mr. Cheeky Chappy that we were on vacation and are looking forward to relaxing and enjoying Dreams Tulum.
Mr. Cheeky Chappy appeared to take this as an insult.
Throughout our stay, Mr. Cheeky Chappy continued to remind us of the availability of appointments. This made it rather uncomfortable for me, as he was usually between me and a lovely drink at the bar in the main lobby. Please, step aside, and let me get a mojito. We will all be better off moving forward.

Note to management: Please allow paying guests to enjoy their vacation without pressure from a sales pitch.

-Our room: Our room was beautiful when we first entered. The overwhelming feeling that we can now begin our vacation came over us.
Let's leave the bags and get outside! First, I just want to stash my passport, travel documents and valuables in the in-room safe. Hold on.....safe seems to be locked. Let me just call the front desk and let them know.
Later that day, after we had come back from lunch, a security person finally came to sort out the safe.
As it turns out, there is a secret way for any one with a "special key" can get in to any in-room safe. Security used this key and reset the code. Upon using the in-room safe, that apparently anyone with a special key can get in to, I soon discovered that the safe was poorly mounted. The door would swing all the way open and the keypad would hit the light switch, therefore punching in a code, known only to the light switch. The light switch was very secretive and would not divulge the special code that it selected on the keypad.
This comical detail of our room was amusing and frustrating. We ended up not using the safe during our stay as a result.
Taking time to ponder this amusing discovery, I went to go outside the sliding door leading out of our room to have a moment in the beautiful gardens just outside. I had a little chess match on the large chess set in the garden and pet a magnificent white horse that I discovered outside.
After this fairy tale experience, I drifted back in to our room.....only to find the stupid sliding door does not lock. Sure, ground floor unit with sliding door leading out to a garden, and the door does not lock. Any rogue chess piece (black or white) or white horse could just amble in to our room and remove the valuables that we are unable to stow in the safe.

Note to management: Just like my boss always tells me, it's the details. Knowing that our valuables and our room are secure is a part of being comfortable at your property. Not having that piece of mind gets in the way of our becoming comfortable.
Attention to details and doing something right the first time goes quite a long way. Poor fixes and shoddy workmanship ruins it for everyone.

-Food: The Mexican restaurant near the beach was delicious. The menu was leaning towards meat dishes, but the staff was more than happy to prepare delicious and creative plates for us, the vegetarians.
The grill, also near the beach, had a more limited menu, but enough for us to choose from. It was more about enjoying our time with the breeze from the ocean, than having a comprehensive menu selection.
The worst part about the grill was that it appeared there was a cold or flu going around the staff. I felt awkward mentioning anything, so we did our best to avoid contact and use the germicidal hand sanitizer that was readily available.
The sushi restaurant.....well......who goes to Mexico for sushi anyway? The portions were tiny. You really had to look hard to see that there really was a piece of fish on that rice.
If you are absolutely craving sushi, I suppose this place would do, but if you are really in to sushi, there wasn't anything very special about the menu selection. Over all, this restaurant is pretty small. When we were there, a group of 10 arrived and essentially filled up the place with there noise and antics.
The French restaurant was delightful. A real treat. Quality and presentation that one would think one was in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower.
Buffet was nice for a buffet. Good selection of quality food. We never waited for a table and the food always appeared fresh.

-Drinks: Top shelf. Well made and you were never too far from a capable mixologist.

-Beach. The beach in front of Dreams Tulum is lovely. Unfortunately, as is with the case with many resorts in the area, the beach quality degrades the further you venture from the resort grounds. If you are inclined to walk or jog down the beach, away from the resort, be careful. The amount of trash on the beach rises as you get further away. Be careful with small children, as there are a lot of things one would not want them to handle.\

-Kids club: our daughter was too young to be a part of the kids activities. We had a look for future reference. The Kids Club seemed well run and staffed with friendly folks that I would be comfortable leaving my child with. When we were there, the kids were preparing for a camp out on the hotel grounds.

-Gym: adequate. It was located all the way in the back (front) of the resort. Kind of hard to find the first time. I kept following the signs leading to the gym, but it just went on and on. I thought I was going to hit the border and wondered if I need my passport to gain entry. Once I finished the trek to the gym, I found it suited the purpose of a stretch and some resistance training. The equipment was generally pretty well used could use some maintenance, freshening up or replacement. The gym was not really a "destination" in itself, but was fine to burn a few calories and make room for the restaurants.

Note to management: Take a day, bring in some folks, and have them pick up the trash and debris on the beach.

Overall: Dreams Tulum has all the ingredients for a lovely and relaxing vacation. The chef needs to work on the recipe and try again.
I would love to return if:
-The room and safe were secure.
-You gave your sick staff time off for illness and not pass on to other staff and guests. We gave it our best effort to avoid being sick from what appeared to be a cold from the staff, we were unable to avoid the ultimate goal of that nasty bug.
Let me tell you first hand, your staff must have been pretty miserable under the spell of that bug.
-Mr. Cheeky Chappy was not so pushy about setting up an appointment to go over club membership.
-Send a crew now and again down the beach a little ways and pick up some trash. I know you did not put it there, but it would be a very touch touch if you cleaned it up.

We did very much enjoy certain parts of the trip and were, overall, very well looked after.
As far a a rating though, I have to say the sum total of this experience was average.
It is sad, because we were really hoping to find that one place in this special corner of a wonderful country to look forward to returning to again.

Room Tip: Make sure the safe works and doors lock properly.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank Jonathan S
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Jonathan S

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay at our resort with us and the TripAdvisot community.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our our Mexican and French restaurants, we feel sorry if our other restaurants did not meet your expectations. At the same time we would like to comment that it is surprising to read that you saw one staff member with flu, we will definitely reinforce the supervision at our restaurants.

At the same time we would like to comment that it is unfortunate to know that you chosen not to report your discomfort to with the representative of the Vacation club to our Concierge, in order to avoid any future interaction for the rest of your vacation since the first time.

We have a procedure for opening our guests safe box, since a guest report of locked safe box is received our front desk or operators team access the request to our system with our guest room number, in that moment only a supervisor from security gets the master key and shows at the room and assist our guest for opening the safe, since that is the only way to open the safe with our guest presence and approval. After that the master key returns to the security safe box at the security office. We apologize for the fact that the lock of the glass dor did not work and if any kid left a chess horse in your terrace.

We apologize if you found thrash beyond our beach while exploring, it is unfortunate that due our secluded location the trash from faraway beaches end in the beach nearby our resort, we organize beach cleanups with our staff and guests once a week and our landscaper team work daily in our beach to mantain our beach and the adjoining beach clean for our valuable guests.

We very much appreciate your comments that help us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back as we are sure that we will surpass your expectation on a next stay.

Seve Oy
E-Concierge & Social Media Coordinator.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The people who work at Dreams really make this a fabulous place to relax and have fun. All the staff are incredibly welcoming, hard working and make you feel at home. Myself and my two daughters had so much fun and felt very safe.
All the entertainment staff work endlessly to make sure everyone has a great time, whatever age. Jonathan, Hugo, Roberto, Jorge and Erick to name but a few, brought so much life and energy to the resort and were always charming, constantly bringing smiles to our faces. However if you want peace and quiet then this is the perfect place too. We loved the variety of evening shows and events at the bar.
Daniel, the poolside waiter, always took the time to talk to us wherever we saw him, and went out of his way to look after us. Fausto at the Seaside Grill, was lovely, and tried to teach my daughter Spanish!
The beach was beautiful, and was tirelessly cleared of seaweed. The hotels rooms and restaurants were smart and the service amazing. Our particular favourites were the Itaian and Asian restaurants. We enjoyed trying all the different cocktails too!
My only suggestion to improve the hotel would be to update the sugar bar as the furniture is outdated and the buffet area is a little jaded. The reception area, gardens and restaurants are beautifully presented. We loved our stay and would not hesitate to return!

Room Tip: We had the option of changing to a beach view room for a supplement...so glad we did. We were close...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
E-ConciergeDRETU, E-Concierge Seve at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear walkinggu

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent stay at Dreams Tulum with us and all the Tripadvisor community.

We really appreciate your kind comments and it makes us happy to know that we exceeded your expectations and you had a wonderful time here with us.

Thank you for pointing out the excellent quality of our entertainment team and shows, we appreciate you mentioned Daniel, Fausto, Jonathan, Hugo, Roberto, Jorge and Erick we are sure they will be very motivated to read your nice review.

We will definitely take your recomendations into account for improving the areas mentioned.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again in a near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

It was my partners and mine first stay at the all inclusive resort and it was simply amazing! The staff very always very helpfull and I can't even find the words to describe the enthusiasm, energy and friendliness that you get from the Entertainment Team! There are different activities every day, throughout the day. Our special mention goes to Jonathan and Roberto, they have been simply amazing. You just couldn't say no when they invitied you to join another activity! Also, make sure you have a coctail at the Manetees bar in the evening. The bartender, Christian will look after you very well and mix up some delicious coctails and shots. The cleaniness of the resort was impressive, food was very good. Will definately stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hanna O
Dear Hanna O

First of all we would like to thank you very much for sharing this wonderful review about your stay at Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa. Our entertainment team has been informed about your nice feedback; your opinion helps us motivate our staff and keep working with enthusiasm because reading that you had an amazing experience lead us to believe we are doing a good job.

Further, we would like to thank you for highlighting the attitude of our staff especially for mentioning Cristian, Jonathan and Roberto, it is good to see that we achieved our main goal, that being you feel welcome and feel satisfied with our service.

We hope to have the pleasure and te honor to welcome you back in the near future and have the honor to be at your service again.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Came for two weeks with my family, the entertainment team were superb. Erick, Jonathan, Hugo and Malena made the holiday with their kindness, enthusiasm and banter. The restaurants had great food, and the day time activities were very fun. Best holiday I've ever been on.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Pedroking
Dear Pedroking

First of all on behalf of the entire Dreams Tulum team, I would like to thank you for your kind review, we are pleased to know you had a great time here with us.

It is for guests like you who send us some nice, inspiring words after their holiday, that our personal finds every day the motivation and energy to keep on the good work. We are very happy to hear that you appreciated the service and personal attention of all of us specially for mentioning Erick, Jonathan, Hugo and Malena they will be happy to kow that you remember them.

It will be a pleasure and an honor to have you at our hotel again in the near future.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My partner, myself and my two sons (aged 12 and 14) stayed for two weeks at the end of July beginning of August.

I was by far one of the best vacations we have had. The Dreams resort was wonderful and we tried and enjoyed all the restaurants. The endless praise left on the pervious reviews about the staff and facilities are all well deserved.

We had a premium junior suite garden view which was located above the main entrance lobby. Originally our travel agent told us that the room was either a King size or two doubles and I assumed that if we were a family that the boys would have to share a bed. I wasn’t looking forward to having that conversation with them. However to accommodate the boys the hotel put an extra bed in the “lound” area with the sofa becoming the second single bed. Peace and harmony was restored. The balcony looked out over the central section of the garden towards the sea. The room was convenient for us, away from the main activity pool, close enough to the restaurants and we would end off each evening with a drink at the lobby bar which has great air conditioning, before heading to bed.

The room was well appointed and everything looked well maintained. The large spa bath took a long time to fill but the problem was solved by letting the water run while we enjoyed a drink and chat on the balcony.

I booked six dives at the onsite dive centre between three of us. Diving with them is more expensive that other offsite operators however when you factor in travelling time and convenience I was happy we used them. The dive instructors are very professional and the gear is well maintained. My partner was a bit nervous on her first dive and they did a great job of calming and guiding her through the dive which she enjoyed after the first few panicked moments.

Rather than book a day excursion from a tour company to the Chichen Itza, Ik Kil Cenote and visit to the town of Valladolid we hired a taxi for a day. It worked out at about half the cost for four people as opposed to booking through a tour company. At the Chichen Itza we hired one of the tour guides that gave us a personal family tour. This arrangement also gave us the flexibility of staying as long as we wanted at each of the attractions. Our taxi driver was fantastic and we used him to take us to the Tulum ruins as well.

We also booked a excursion to Xcaret through the hotel travel desk which was excellent. There is so much to do at Xcaret that you could easily spend two days there. We did not see half of it even though we arrived early and left at 9:30pm after the evening show which is a must.

This is a wonderful resort and location. Can’t wait to go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank lavajelly01494
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tulum
Kore Tulum Retreat and Spa Resort
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,507 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Barcelo Maya Caribe
Barcelo Maya Caribe
#12 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,109 reviews
Grand Palladium Kantenah Resort and Spa

Been to Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!