“Absolute paradise, relaxing and laid back!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Cabanas Tulum
Ranked #14 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
Jackson, Wyoming
“Absolute paradise, relaxing and laid back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights with our family and friends for our wedding, we had about 9 or 10 rooms booked at the resort and everyone loved it. Even those who weren't staying at the resort wished that they did. The beach is breathtaking, the staff were all friendly and helpful, we had a lot of fun times with the bar tenders who made delicious and creative cocktails. The front desk receptionists were very helpful with handing out my gift bags to all our guests and with giving directions and where to go, thank you Mayumi and Sandy!

We booked a Beach front Deluxe room with our own private rooftop terrace and sunbed which we made good use of mostly at night time, we had a friend or 2 over and would watch for shooting stars (first night there I saw 7 of them), listen to the ocean and just hang out for hours.

Our wedding was so perfect, the food was amazing! We had crab and shrimp cake which was to die for, the rack of lamb so succulent, ginger salmon satay tender, ceviche, guacamole, seafood tostada refreshing and tasty, tequila shrimp tacos, tuna nachos, trio of sushi, quesadillas, caprese salad all very good!! And the Maya style pina coladas YUM!!! Also Cecilio made us all a special cocktail one night at the bar that my brother decided to name sexcilio haha...it was delicious!!

I had some small issues with planning the wedding at first, I had to change wedding planners because she wasn't reliable or professional and emails weren't always answered. It did stress me out quite a bit. But then someone recommended a different planner to me and she was awesome, very organized, knowledgeable and just what I wanted, thank you Marion from Destination Weddings for making my dream wedding come true! The reservations agents were all very good and helpful with sending me rooming lists of all my guests and answering all my questions, thank you Anna and Jessica! The servers and bartenders were the best at El Bistro, they became more like our friends. Thank you Cecilio, Emilio and everyone else at El Bistro (I don't remember everyone's names I'm sorry). And thank you to the housekeepers, the security and bellmen I didn't get your names but we really appreciated all your hard work!

A few small suggestions:

*Adding Mexican food and some simple "bar food" to your dinner menu, I found myself ordering off the lunch menu every time we had dinner there because I liked it better. I really wanted Mexican food for our first night there and there really wasn't any on the dinner menu and sometimes you just want a burger/nachos or something simple for dinner. You were very accommodating in taking my requests and letting me order off the lunch menu so thank you very much!

*Adding some local art to the walls in the rooms, the simplicity of the rooms are perfect for the location, but just a piece or 2 on the walls would have brightened it up a little. Also maybe a table and chair/lounger inside the room as well would be nice. It was a bit of a challenge to find a place to put some of my things like books, lotions, sunscreen, wine glasses etc.

*Offering complimentary bottled water on a daily basis in the room would be nice as well instead of just the first day.

My husband and I are already talking about going back to Cabanas Tulum for one of our anniversaries. We really loved it and they made us feel at home there. I can't thank you enough!

Room Tip: I would recommend the beach front deluxe rooms with the private rooftop terrace, but our friends and...
2 Thank The_Serious_Traveler
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear Guest,
Congratulations again! On behalf of the whole Cabañas Tulum Team, thank you very much for sharing your experience here with others. Your thoroughly written observation give a great overview of our hotel. Every member of our team works hard to meet and keep up the high expectations of our guests. We love your remark about the shooting stars, indeed the Mayan sky is full of wonder and surprises this is why they were such notable mathematicians and astrologists.
Regarding the food in the restaurant, we have three different menus: breakfast-lunch-dinner because we would like to convey three different concepts of Ziggy's.
1) A light but complete breakfast menu; 2) An easy going Beach Club snack menu 3) Elegant dinner atmosphere....
Of course, we are happy to accommodate any special requests and turn every meal into a special occasion.

Sales & Marketing Department

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We spent a week in one of the beach-front cabanas and it was a truly extraordinary experience and well worth the money. The room was simply but elegantly decorated acting as a frame for the view over coconut trees, crushed coral sand and the Caribbean. Most of the staff speak excellent English and are very friendly and accommodating. The beach is kept impeccably clean by a team who sweep up the seaweed every morning and the hotel also has two pools, one of which is shaded and stays pleasantly cool throughout the day.

The cabanas face east and the verandah is shaded from about 11am so if you do want to escape the heat you can do so without heading indoors. Air-conditioning and everything worked perfectly in the room and the cleaning staff usually visited while we were eating breakfast. Similarly the pool was cleaned every morning, in part to help the local crabs who mistook it for the sea back out again every morning. There's also a local duck who likes to take a dip in there from time to time.

If I had to find fault at all the only two (minor) complaints are:

1. The dinner menu didn't change while we where there, everything I tried was excellent and very well prepared but I started to run out of choices after a couple of visits. There are plenty of other options within a few hundred yards up and down the beach so you won't go hungry. There was plenty of choice for breakfast though and you could eat something different every day.

2. A few more wooden boards between reception, the restaurant and rooms would help. It's very pleasant to walk barefoot through the sand around the pools and in the restaurant but it makes it almost impossible to avoid tracking sand into the room and then into the bed.

These are just minor things and all in all I'd definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: The hotel offers standard, superior and superior deluxe rooms. We went for superior and where very h...
1 Thank hadron66
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and lovely descrption of our hotel and restaurant. We have already shared your feedback with all the members of the staff - the duck found his hen and has moved on to new adventures. We are happy you spent a relaxing and enjoyable week with us and welcome your suggestions regarding the dinner menu and hotel amenities. We would like to update you on any news and improvements coming up in the future. Hope to see you again one day.

Muchas gracias

Lyon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We just spent 1 week in Tulum in the Cabanas.
We had a deluxe room, and I have to say that it is possibly the most amazing room and view I have ever had in a hotel.
Maybe other Hotels on this stretch of beach propose just as good a view, but the fact that we could see the ocean from our bathroom/shower, and the bed was oriented toward the sea, every morning we just had to pull the curtain to see the beautiful ocean.
Breakfast is included in the room and it gives you the possibility to order anything of the normal menu, and some of the items on there were delicious.
Service was very good, staff very attentive but not pressing at all.
A absolute lovely experience.
Peaceful, beautiful, "romanceful".
A bit pricey, but it is a bit of a luxury to get to be there.

Room Tip: A deluxe room is worth it for the comfort itself. But on a tighter budget, the normal beachfront r...
2 Thank PaulineZS
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind words, in particular, we appreciated the use of your adjectives: Peaceful, Beautiful, Romanceful.
As you have mentioned, you spent one week in the Deluxe only adult section which is part of a different category room and therefore subject to a distinct price range.
It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope to welcome you back one day.

Oberlin, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

My husband and I spent 6 nights in a beach front bungalow. It was paradise. The staff was very knowledgeable and kind. We had delicious breakfasts everyday included in the price of the room and enjoyed talking with the staff at happy hour, available everyday from12pm-6pm. The pool was very private and we were the only inhabitants (plus a few crabs :D). We would definitely stay here again. They cleaned the rooms everyday and had a special surprise for us because we were on our honeymoon. We ate in downtown Tulum every evening and the food was delicous.

2 Thank MinorTraveler
Dear Guest,
Congratulations again on behalf of all the staff, we thank you very much for your positive feedback and are happy to know that we could contribute to make your honeymoon an unforgettable experience. We wish you the best for the future and hope to welcome you back, maybe for your anniversary.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

My daughter and I were lucky enough to spend 10 fabulous nights at Cabanas Tulum
27 August - 6 September 2012.
Nothing but praise praise praise for the staff - especially the always smiling and helpful Pati, Sandi, Mayuni and Emilio (thank you for all those yummy breakfasts and drinks on the beach)
All four are a tremendous asset to Cabanas Tulum.
The location is just perfect - literally right on a beautiful stretch of white sand and aqua water on the Caribbean (just wish we had been able to experience the hatching of some baby turtles)
We hired a car for 7 days and fully recommend as it enables you to be independent of the organised tours and to experience many of the wonderful restaurants along Boca Paila Road at your leisure.
Only one small negative from our point of view - even though our beachfront room was very acceptable - basic but very clean, we would have loved to stay in one of the superior/deluxe rooms. However, all only come with a single king sized bed. A couple of these rooms with two separate beds would have been perfect for us.
That said, it certainly did not put a dent in our wonderful stay and we would fully recommend Cabanas Tulum to anyone wanting THE BEST HOLIDAY EVER!!
Helen & Bec Melbourne Australia

Room Tip: Any superior/deluxe rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank HHBB270812
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Dear Helen,
thank you so much for your nice words and praise. It was a pleasure having you and your daughter as our guests and we all enjoyed talking to you and having a giggle every now and then. Everyone remembers you with a smile on their face. So feel free to come back whenever you like and maybe stay in one of our beautiful Deluxe /Superior rooms. Look after yourselves.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

All the reviews about this place are spot on. It's like being in a corona commercial. Emilio is fantastic, as is Rafa...although I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Patti and instead had Sandra who was incredibly unhelpful and unfriendly (didn't know where any hotels or restaurants were and couldn't reserve anything for us...we were not the only people at the resort who were not impressed with her level of service).
Other than that - it was perfection - very clean room, beautiful beach, amazing food. Here are some tips I'd like to pass on:

Bring a flashlight
Bring bug spray
Don't bother with the superior deluxe, the deluxe are just as wonderful and have a couch on the patio
Rent a car if you can - it's quite far into tulum central (5-10 min drive) and biking along the road would be dangerous not to mention exhausting.
The food in Tulum is unbelievable...I was shocked at how good everything was...here are my recommendations: Mezzanine (fabulous thai food, great pad thai), Las Estrellas (possibly the best seared tuna I have ever had, and wonderful homemade bread, Posada Margerita, El Camello (a local town in spot, not fancy, not expensive but the freshest seafood you've ever had).

We were lucky enough to go scuba diving with Nico from Calypso Diving - he was fantastic, and although I didn't get to kite surf because the wind wasn't right, Fabion from Vientos Sail (at Hotel Uno) took us sailing for the day and was wonderful! We snorkelled and got to see Sian Kaan and generally spend a sun-filled day on the water, which was fabulous.

All in all - a great place to go if you don't love resorts, or touristy towns like Cancun or Playa del Carmen (we did go there for the day but couldn't wait to come back to our beach). Great for couples and families.

Room Tip: Skip the Superior Deluxe and just go for the Deluxe - which has a large balcony, hammock, chairs and...
1 Thank calliope123toronto
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our resort. Your feedback is highly appreciated by the whole staff. Needless to say, we regard all observations as important and try to learn and improve from them every single time. It is to say, all staff members work tirelessly to make our guests feel comfortable and at ease . I do apologize if you might have received the impression that this was not always the case.
As you have mentioned, Tulum is a diamond spot indeed, a place to rewind but at the same time to be explored in many different ways. We are so happy that you enjoyed it and looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Muchas gracias

Sales & Marketing department
Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

We spent 5 nights there at a bungalow with sea view. The view was fantastic and the staff very helpful and knowledgeable.
One night we even had the privilege of walking out of our bungalow and finding baby sea turtles that had recently hatched, making our stay there even more special and memorable.
The place has a rustic charm that fits the location perfectly. The beach is the best. We would definitely return and recommend it.
Tip: having a little broom available in the room/porch would be nice as we had our feet covered in sand most of the time due to the proximity to the beach, which caused our room and bed to be full of sand, in spite of the room keeper's good work.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms/bungalows
1 Thank de1979
CristinaMtzC, Sales & Guest Relation Department at Cabanas Tulum, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your kind words and the time taken to write a review about your experience in our hotel. We do welcome our guests with the words "welcome to paradise" and are, of course, more than happy to know that it is the impression you took home with and will remember.

Having witnessed the hatching of baby sea turtles is an honor indeed and I am glad you appreciated it. All our staff is always available to give helpful information about all the lovely creatures that inhabit Tulum's costline.

Thank you again for having chosen Cabañas Tulum for your last and next vacation!

Best regards,